Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

Newcastle match thread

Has anyone else noticed Holt is sporting a black eye? I hope Morison hasn''t hit another player :S

Morison is the best lone striker we have, Holt played bad last week and Morison earnt his place. Holt should come on soon.

For the first time this season we are getting the ball wide to the people who can cross it except they keep looking up, realizing there was no one up there and then passed inside. Need to get Holt or Jackson on and keep playing it out wide.

OTBC, as long as we win I don''t care :D

Anyone else noticed how much attacking Drury has done? Seems to be involved in most of our decent attacking movements...

Now they''ve taken Ben Arfa off, they will be more defensive...

To be honest, we''ve had three fantastic chances to equalise, one fantastic save and two just not coming off, i''m not too optimistic now...

And why is Holt still on the bench?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I have a feeling Holt will be on at the start of the second half...

Surely Lambert won''t risk leaving it too late?[/quote]He''s left it way too late.  He''s being out-managed again TBH.

13 minuets left, and he finally brings Holt on. If he had brought him on 20 mins ago, we could be 1-1 and looking for a winner, now i''m not ever sure of an equaliser...

I get it, Lambert is fed up with being linked to every job going, so is going to go in a really bad run to get rid of the rumours...

Better effort in the second half.Really poor in front of goal though. We created enough chances to get something. Not enough quality to take them.Frustrating.

If we''d played like that against Stoke or Wigan, we''d have won...

Why do we so often play so well against the better teams? But not get the results? I would rather we played poorly and lost 4-0, if it mean''t turning a few of the draws/loses against not so good teams into wins...

Was a good performance most of the game, some great attacking movements, thought Ward was very good at the back. Morison never looked like scoring, had a one on one, but like nearly every other one on one he''s had, didn''t do the right thing. Krul made a fantastic save, Surman should have pulled one back across near the end of the first half, and later Morison wasn''t in the right position when Surman (or Pilks) pulled it back. Pilks was close once as well. But Newcastle could have easily been 3-0 up in the first half, and had a couple of decent attacks them self in the second half.

I''m only disappointed because we played so well, yet failed to score and lost a point or three. Play like that against Wigan, Stoke, Wolves next week, its a win. Play like that against Newcastle, you still need the luck to win.

"Norwich City will not be intimidated by Newcastle Premier League test".

Nor is the rest of the league by this club''s current form.  A load of dosh being lost by this club at the moment with this slide which may limit the quality of summer signings being looked at. 

Played some lovely stuff in the 2nd half, but as usual was in the middle of the park and not in the opponents half, resulting in very few chances.Thought Howson looked good, made some good forward runs and tidy on the ball.I just don''t get why the subs were made so late, should have been made in the 60-65 min when we were on top.Frustrating loss, need to beat Wolves next week to stop this poor run

If Holt had been brought on when we were dominating, 1-1 or maybe even 2-1 to us would have been the final score line...

Come on now guys... If we''d been offered what we''ve got now last August we''d have snapped their hand off.Every team hits a rough patch during the season and if you ask me the timing of ours is perfect. Pretty much safe with just a few more bonus points to scrap for.

Too tired to post when I got back last night, so here are my views. I thought we played a lot of neat football in  the first half without much penetration, until Surman should have scored on the stroke of half time. Disappointed with Ward for the goal, but Cisse is like Ba Mark 2 and a real handful. Two great saves from big John kept it at 1-0, but in fairness anything more would have flattered Newcastle. Second half we upped it and tore them to pieces for 20 minutes or so, during which time Krul made two superb saves. They looked ragged but you have to score when you''re dominant and we didn''t. They rode the storm and were quite comfortable in the last 20 as we ran out of steam and started to give the ball away. Morison''s chance came out of nowhere but when he missed we knew it was all over.
Whitbread was excellent as ever, but you know my feelings on Ward. The fullbacks were solid, but Drury looked knackered late on. Fox was the stringpuller in midfield and behind all our best moves, although I thought we over elaborated on occasions. Bennett continues to frustrate me as he seems reluctant to take his man on enough. Howson is a great acquisition, mobile, tenacious and clearly has goals in him. Once he''s established he will add another dimension to our game. Poor Morison had virtually no support but worked his backside off. Unfortunately his awful miss at the end will define his performance for those who only want a rope to hang him with.
I though the subs came too late, and resulted in us having another outlet uo front, but not the supply line to get the ball there with Pilks and Surman (who was also excellent) of the field.
I was surprised by the lack of atmosphere from the home fans, but given that they have pretensions of Europe and had been forced to put an extra defender on early in the second half and waste time shamefully in order to grab the points they probably had little to shout about.
Overall, we deserved a point, but if we carry on playing like that we''ve got no worries.

Agree with everything you say there Beau.

Newcastle always looked dangerous on the break but we rattled their defence whenever we got forward. I''m sure Holt could have capitalised on this, thought he might have come on after the break. Frustrated with Bennett, like you thought he didn''t get forward nearly enough, poor Morison didn''t really have much chance with the (lack of) service he was getting. And the subs were made far too late to have any effect. This is my only minor criticism of Lambert of late as he usually gets the substitutions spot on.

Geordie fans were a disappointment, I wasn''t sitting with the Norwich fans, but sitting over in the big right stand. I can assure you that even from that lofty position the Norwich fans made all of the noise. Even when it was obvious we weren''t going to get anything from the game.

[quote user="shefcanary"]

Holt has paid the price for his performance last week - Morison in starting line up.

Ruddy, Drury, Morison, Whitbread, Surman, Pilkington, Fox, E. Bennett, Ward (C), Howson, Naughton

Surprised Ward has skipper''s arm band - hope it means shift in his work rate.

[/quote]

Hope Holt doesn''t pay the price again. Think he''s still not our best hope up front. Interesting only three of the eleven which started against Newcastle away in March  started today!

Remember being disappointed after walking up all those steps last year to see Holt dropped. I hope it''s not deja vue next week. Think I might take the lift this time.