Sign in to follow this  
Striker

Sat 3pm games being screened in pubs again

It would appear that these are back on, with at least one city pub advertising the fact.  Does anyone know any more about this ?  Is it back to how it was before the plug was pulled in early December ?

I think they have been back on for a while. I asked in a pub in Norwich before Christmas and they said that they had it back on then. Looking at the link it looks like it was just another court case to try prevent the pubs showing 3pm football.

I cannot work out what is going on with these dodgey satellite systems as Wednesday night the Lord Roseberry here in Norwich has a foreign setup but had been blocked but The Whalebone just down the road had a different foreign sysem and was showing the game.Neither pub has Sky.[*-)]

I think Viasat stopped broadcasting to the UK, whereas other companies may have not. I''m guessing the Whalebone was using a different company.

By the sounds of it the way around the copyright issues,that the PL can do pubs for,is to cover up every logo and turn off the sound when anthems come on.It wont be easy.

[quote user="Herman "]By the sounds of it the way around the copyright issues,that the PL can do pubs for,is to cover up every logo and turn off the sound when anthems come on.It wont be easy.[/quote]

There is a web site Firstrow.com this is used by a lot of pubs I watched  the odd away match at home on it and it is free, I was not convinced at first as it ask you to register your mobile number, but it only puts it into a free prize draw,And you get a message to tell you if you are in the draw that week, but it is free, Sometimes, Living out here in the sticks the signal breaks up now and then, but in the city its fine.

I have used that a few times,when i can remember it''s name.Certain times it is great but it can be really jumpy like the other night,(it was such a bad game i was quite relieved to have an excuse to turn it off early)I haven''t had any virus or other issues from it,i just make sure i don''t click on any of those dodgy looking Russian bird pop-ups[;)] 

We get the foreign channels in my local,3pm saturdays,but living down south if the big teams aren''t playing then the landlord won''t bother.Jeff Stelling''s show is what goes on.I did get to see the City/Manure game but that is it.

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="Herman "]By the sounds of it the way around the copyright issues,that the PL can do pubs for,is to cover up every logo and turn off the sound when anthems come on.It wont be easy.[/quote]

There is a web site Firstrow.com this is used by a lot of pubs I watched  the odd away match at home on it and it is free, I was not convinced at first as it ask you to register your mobile number, but it only puts it into a free prize draw,And you get a message to tell you if you are in the draw that week, but it is free, Sometimes, Living out here in the sticks the signal breaks up now and then, but in the city its fine.

[/quote] Use this site regularly.  Sky commentary link was a bit iffy for the Sunderland game so I ended up watcling it with a Spanish commentary.  Was as hilarious as the old Fast Show Channel 9 sketches!  ''Goalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Sunderland!'' ''Thethethethethe Grant Holt thethethethe''  They also got very confused when it showed the 4 lads dressed as bananas and couldn''t work out why they came as bananas and not Canaries!

firstrow is actually the sky feed, same comentary. watched w.b.a. league match on it the citys coverage on football first on sky that night and was exactle the same.

[quote user="Striker"]It would appear that these are back on, with at least one city pub advertising the fact.  Does anyone know any more about this ?  Is it back to how it was before the plug was pulled in early December ?[/quote]

I think most of the pubs whose coverage was blocked had subscribed to ViaSat Baltic (Latvian broadcast), who stopped broadcasting 3pm kick offs under pressure from the Premier League. Pubs subscribing to ViaSat Sweden or Nova were unaffected (I guess broadcasters in such countries are harder to bully). To get 3pm kick offs back on, a pub would need to subscribe to an unaffected broadcaster such as this. I have been watching away matches in Micawbers Tavern (can highly recommend), who have now resumed showing 3pm kick offs along with the Ketts Tavern and Rose to name a few. As far as I know, to show matches in a pub streamed from internet sites such as firstrow etc is strictly illegal, and very risky!

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[/quote]

And they use Visisat......it was excellent btw

I happen to work the odd shift in a Norwich pub which is very popular for football.At the start of the season we subscribed to a foreign satellite provider and showed all Norwich matches live successfully. Then, as rumours grew of Rupert Murdoch sticking his oar in grew, we could no longer get the promised Norwich games, although it was possible to show all the other Premier League matches. The same thing happened to all pubs across the city using the same system. Across the other cities in England we started to hear stories that the pubs there could not show their local teams either. We then started to stream the matches via the internet, which was pretty poor quality, before the boss was threatened with a £50,000 grand fine or six months in prison. So we subscribed to another provider before the Bolton match, and bar a technical hitch where we missed the first half, we successfully showed the second half in excellent quality. So it''s been a roller coaster ride, but assuming certain greedy Australian billionaires don''t allegedly mess things up again we should get all remaining Norwich games shown live in perfect quality.

[quote user="Jonzey"]I happen to work the odd shift in a Norwich pub which is very popular for football.

At the start of the season we subscribed to a foreign satellite provider and showed all Norwich matches live successfully. Then, as rumours grew of Rupert Murdoch sticking his oar in grew, we could no longer get the promised Norwich games, although it was possible to show all the other Premier League matches. The same thing happened to all pubs across the city using the same system. Across the other cities in England we started to hear stories that the pubs there could not show their local teams either.

We then started to stream the matches via the internet, which was pretty poor quality, before the boss was threatened with a £50,000 grand fine or six months in prison. So we subscribed to another provider before the Bolton match, and bar a technical hitch where we missed the first half, we successfully showed the second half in excellent quality.

So it''s been a roller coaster ride, but assuming certain greedy Australian billionaires don''t allegedly mess things up again we should get all remaining Norwich games shown live in perfect quality.
[/quote]

Seems to be the in thing for plastic fans to be able  to  watch Chelski and the other top 5  I think we will have to put up with it, it''s only the away games that I find difficult  to watch on stream, as loads use the same stream and slows us down in the sticks.might have to find another one 

[quote user="Jonzey"]We then started to stream the matches via the internet, which was pretty poor quality, before the boss was threatened with a £50,000 grand fine or six months in prison. [/quote]which option did he take?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Jonzey"]We then started to stream the matches via the internet, which was pretty poor quality, before the boss was threatened with a £50,000 grand fine or six months in prison. [/quote]which option did he take?[/quote]He was told these were his options if he ever showed a streamed game again. Wisely he decided to find another satellite provider! Regarding the plastic fans mentioned above; the pub seems to be busiest for the Man U matches, then Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. So far Man City haven''t attracted many of these barnacles, but I suspect when they win the league this year it will change. I assume people will change allegiences stating; ''my Dad was always a Man City fan'', which means; ''my Dad once drove past their stadium in the 60''s''. Who knows what goes on the mind of a glory hunter.