Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

Fulham thread

starting 11 Ruddy, Martin, Johnson, Morison, Whitbread, Surman, Pilkington, Hoolahan (C), Fox, Naughton, Ayala

5 - 4 - 1?

Still can''t get my head round this one.  Can Ayala play left back?  Otherwise Pilks / Surman are the only other options and that would make 6 at the back.  Have I woken with a new year hangover already?  Drury must have not recovered from Tuesday then?

I''m a fan of Tierney, but thought Drury should keep his place after the Spurs game - he was excellent - so to see neither in the team is worrying. Here''s hoping Ayala steps up to take his chance.

Snorefolk speculating Drury must not be fit.  They are as confused as me as to who will play Left back - thinking Martin or Naughton will be with Whitbread and Ayala centre half pairing - not convinced with that tbh but at least Fulham don''t have a winger good enough to scare either stand in LB.

Well if that is the defensive set up, then fair play. Maybe one of Martin or Naughton will swap sides?

I think the best thing is the midfield is shaken up a little, very interesting team selection. This is a game we need to win, so I am happy that we have changed our system from the last few outings where we have not picked up all the points we should have.

With the big 3 strikers out of the Fulham line up certainly 3 was my thought, and first clean sheet.  Not so convinced now - Lambo being defensive to start with before unleashing the Holt on the hour?

You have to think we need a win from this to avoid losing momentum, but they have a strong side. Their defence alone is very experienced and Ruiz has looked handy, as you''d expect of a £10m striker. Just hope their off field probs, away form and our home advantage see us through. Good to see Pilkington in the side but I think Holt is unlucky to lose his place after Moro''s no show v Spurs.

Could be Martin and Ayala in the middle with Whitbread at LB. He is left footed and played at left back for the youth team at Liverpool whilst coming through the ranks.

This is going to be one tough game I suspect. We don''t have anyone of the calibre of Danny Murphy to boss the midfield and, I suspect, a lot of the game will be played there.

I think this is a must win and we need to go into this game with that mentality, we have started slow in a number of games recently this one however we cannot afford that. They could be tough opposition and have begun performing, but we need to step up.

I have no problem with bringing on Holt later in the game, but we need to come out of the blocks firing.

We do not need to go to Loftus Road thinking we need a win there, otherwise it will be the end of jan. and time will begin to slip away. Awin there owuld be great, I certainly think it is probable (I also think we need another away win asap) but a point at Loftus Road would be good.

I do feel we need to step up and show that we are going to get those points early rather than battle through till the end of the season.

Would appear, according to the official site to be Naughton at left back, Martin at right back, Ayala Whitbread in the middle and then the 5 in midfield.

Fairly happy with that - I assume Drury isn''t fit.

[quote user="Prem1"]Defence nowhere near good enough , could be 2 already .[/quote]Spot on, defense is still a pile of sh*t...Can''t see us staying up, only hope is that our attack improves, going the same way as Blackpool...

Its so pathetic its laughable! People have a go at Merson for saying we won''t keep a clean sheet all season well in all honesty he is probably right! We look ok going forward but we never make the right ball its frustrating! Supporting Norwich should come with a health warning!

The defense is poor at the minute but it is makeshift - we have a right back at left back, have a centre half playing only his second Prem game who is also coming back from three months out, he is partnered by a centre half who has just had three months out. A Little perspective would help.

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"]The defense is poor at the minute but it is makeshift - we have a right back at left back, have a centre half playing only his second Prem game who is also coming back from three months out, he is partnered by a centre half who has just had three months out. A Little perspective would help.[/quote]The defense has been poor all season, today is no excuse

[quote user="Notts Canary"][quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"]The defense is poor at the minute but it is makeshift - we have a right back at left back, have a centre half playing only his second Prem game who is also coming back from three months out, he is partnered by a centre half who has just had three months out. A Little perspective would help.[/quote]The defense has been poor all season, today is no excuse[/quote]Not an excuse, perspective - if ot has been poor all season you couldn''t have expected it to be better today in light of the circumstances. Also, the defense needs some help from those in front of them, we should not just rely on the back five players - defending is a team event.

Offside for the fourth time... I''m guessing this will be a re-occuring theme for the afternoon...Lucky not to be 2 or 3 down to be honest...

Did you see Ruiz ghost past Fox at the half way line, great save from Ruddy as Fox just trundled back. His passing is good, but his fitness, drive and gritty ability is not always there. There players are so quick, making our guys look very sluggish

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"][quote user="Notts Canary"][quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"]The defense is poor at the minute but it is makeshift - we have a right back at left back, have a centre half playing only his second Prem game who is also coming back from three months out, he is partnered by a centre half who has just had three months out. A Little perspective would help.[/quote]The defense has been poor all season, today is no excuse[/quote]Not an excuse, perspective - if ot has been poor all season you couldn''t have expected it to be better today in light of the circumstances. Also, the defense needs some help from those in front of them, we should not just rely on the back five players - defending is a team event.[/quote]To be fair that''s a good point, usually the strong point for us is our holding midfield and attacking play, making up for our poor defense, without it we look a very poor side.