Sign in to follow this  
exiled blue

huckerby`s lad on school trip to watch man united!!

he`s tweeted that his lad has gone up on a school trip to watch united tonight. now i know he lives in/around norwich somewhere, so, does this not strike any of you as wrong?. not that his lad has gone on the trip, but that a local school would organise a trip to a team not from the local area. what a kick in the teeth to your `football in the community` people. no wonder so many kids around here walk about with red shirts on!!.

Must admit, I wondered where this post was going to go before opening.  After reading you do have a very good point.  IMO it''s some people falling for ''brand names'' is a loose sort of way.  I mean we have a perfectly decent Prem team for people to visit.  A top 20 football club is a top 20 football club etc.  Whereas some thinks brand name Manure is automatically superior.  Same as, some people think that a world brand of chain coffee shops is automatically better than visiting the local woman''s coffee bar even though she has more knowledge of coffee than the average St****ks worker.This is another example of little ol'' Norwich which needs to be looked at.  Your local brand is just as good or better than the others they try and hoodwink you with.

it`s no necessarily a dig at united (it is!) but i would be very disappointed if i supported a team and found my son being bussed 200 miles to watch a team who are already the media darlings, and make it their business to pollute every branch of asda and tesco with their cheap tacky tat. the last thing local kids need is more brainwashing. MOTD do a good enough job as it is!.

I will be honest and say that when I was younger I was brought up supporting them until the age of 15, I was brought up supporting them because some of my family did and I just went along with it. I guess this can happen when you are young and are under influence.

Once I hit 15/16 I decided I wanted to support my local team which is the mighty NCFC and did not want to be a plastic fan, I thought what is the point of supporting a team I am never going to realistically see and can only watch from the TV and what was the point of following a team nearly everyone else does just for success?

Children can be easily influenced by Adults/teachers, I know that when I have a kid I will make sure they are Yellow and Green right from the off :)

OTBC!!!!!

Is the trip for the kids or for the teachers and staff who have organised it?

I’m sure lots of collective heads got together and found a way in which a trip to see Man United could be shown to be beneficial and relevant to the curriculum-they do study corporate greed and media tarting now don’t they?

I do wonder if it hasn’t been put together for the benefit of those that have wished it for themselves, with the one downside being that the kids have to come along as well, still, they obviously have their uses!

I’d like to think I’d stand up to them and say “mine isn’t going” and ask them to show what the benefits would be to him/her that couldn’t be realised by a similar trip to their local club, one that is part of their community and County.

Not only that, but, both logistically and financially (have the parents been asked to contribute?) it would have made a lot more sense to arrange to do so at Carrow Road, they could have had a day of it and finished off by going to the reserve game last night.

Not “glamorous” enough? Well, since when was life all glamour and glitz?

It smacks of these local Councils that fork out tax payers money for “fact finding” trips to places like Bermuda and the Cayman Islands, when they could learn as much, or more (but not get a suntan or sit on the beach) by meeting up at a Holiday Inn with their colleagues from another Council.

It’s a jolly masquerading as a school trip-which are meant to be educational. This one, as far as the latter goes, most certainly won’t be, unless the educational benefits are to ‘teach’ the youngsters how much bigger, better and brighter it is in Manchester.

One of my housemates is originally from Manchester and supports United. So, really, I wouldn''t have any objections to this. However, he never gets to go and see them, his uncle or something has managed to get a season ticket which he sometimes borrows, and gets to maybe a game or two every other season. So even when it''s a "legitimate" fan, you still sort of think what''s the point in supporting them?

To the Jewish Cowboy - not sure how it is a case of "little ol'' Norwich" - the club haven''t paid for the school to take their students to a Man Utd game have they? And it''s hardly just Norwich. Every club in the country is out-branded by Man Utd, and most clubs in the world are! It''s different for Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man City, but any club who isn''t finishing in the champions league is surely going to have to expect to have a smaller brand than those who have finished in the top 3 for the past twenty years?

i get what you are saying about "out-branding" but surely it`s cause and effect?. united are supported by so many who`ve never even seen the ground in the flesh, because they receive saturation coverage from the media. who in turn say "it`s what the paying public want" but the paying public or a great proportion of them, only support united because having a BBC licence fee is tantamount to having a season ticket at united!.

i just think it stinks, a coach load of kids who`ll probably return in the wee small hours and tomorrow ask mum if they can have a united shirt for xmas. they are your next generation.

I see this type of narrow-minded thinking to often. Why do so many people feel it necessary to force feed their young only what the parents value. By all means provide them with the opportunity to embrace Norwich City FC but, please, don''t stop there. Let them also be exposed to other positive influences that will round out their experience so that when they make their own minds up ( which is surely what the objective is ) they do it from a more well rounded perspective.

I''m sure Darren Huckerby thinks it''s a good idea for his son to go and see Manchester United play in a Champions League match. Possibly many of the other parents involved do also. It''s a good thing. Darren isn''t from Norfolk but he came to love the place nonetheless.

Now, too many people looking for an opportunity to a junket at the taxpayers expense. That''s something worth debating.

i don`t think it`s narrow minded at all. if united had their way they`d probably pay for your sons and daughters to be bussed in to the giant money making machine that is old trafford!. what better way to `convert` people from the smaller towns and cities, and show themm the error of their ways?!

cynical?, moi? you`d better bloody believe it!.

[quote user=exiled blue]i don`t think it`s narrow minded at all. if united had their way they`d probably pay for your sons and daughters to be bussed in to the giant money making machine that is old trafford!. what better way to `convert` people from the smaller towns and cities, and show themm the error of their ways?! cynical?, moi? you`d better bloody believe it!.[/quote]

Fine for you, but please, think twice before you allow your cynicism to be morphed on to the next generation.  

i think cynicism won the day when the money making mammon from trafford dropped the words "football club" from their club badge to be fair.

the point i was making, in my original post was simple. i would be very disappointed if a son of mine, was taken on a school day, such a long distance, to see a game at a premier league rival. running the risk that he may be influenced by what he sees there, and be lost from the pool of potential supporters of my local team. like it or not they are the future of every club.

i`m not after scoring any personal points here, nor seeking disagreements with individuals.

But it''s not a premier league rival of the school is it, because the school isn''t a football club. I grew up in Nottingham, and there were a couple of trips to Notts County and Forest - I got the opportunity a couple of times to play mini games at half time on both of those grounds through our primary school team. Should the school only have taken county/Forest fans and excluded everyone else?

I''ve also been on a trip to Old Trafford with the club I played for as a lad. We had a tour of the stadium, very impressive, got to see the Champions League trophy (so must have been in 2000, when I was 10). Didn''t convert me to be a Man Utd fan, but it was a really good day to see the museum etc in the back - likewise, I visit grounds whenever i go on holiday. Just because you''re seeing a new ground, or a different team, doesn''t mean you are going to start supporting them.

Surely by the time you get to 11, it''s already pretty much in your blood? I know I was probably more "into" NCFC (in terms of knowing ridiculous stats about all the players etc. etc.) than I am now!

Not really. If he''s well off and wants to go on the trip then why not? It''s a Champions League game at Britains largest domestic stadium for christs sake. [:P]

Given that most kids grow up worshipping their dads and Hucks sons have not only been brought up in Norfolk but have been brought up watching their dad play for Norwich City (and Manchester City for that matter) then i very much doubt one trip to old Trafford is going to turn either of them into raving Man United fans. It will probably be a poor game with no atmosphere anyway so they will come back saying its quieter than Carrow Road!

It does seem a strange trip if it is solely to watch a Man United game. Maybe its not and is part of a football tour of the NW or something. I wouldn''t be keen on a son of mine going on such a trip but then you can hardly ban them from going if everyone else in the class is and they are all excited about it. Whether you support man united or not it would be a laugh. Either way it won''t be funded by council money so people getting uptight about that thought should chill out!

Wish I''d had school trips like that. Going to watch Man U in the Euoropean Cup with the likes of Law, Best and Charlton or going to the Roman Camp in Caister St Edmunds????

What school is this? I will be writing them a letter...sorry guys no more BW im just joking

LOL, yes, the sandpits at Bawsey, Holkham Hall and Kelling Park Bird Avairy were the trips we had-plus the obligatory stay at How Hill.

Has anyone else stayed there?

Like anything else to do with football, this trip of Hucks Jnr has started debate and differences, what a game!!

Stayed at How Hill for a course when I started work. Was 15 and I loved it. But would still have preferred Old Trafford for a European game!

The first ever professional game I was taken to see was 1p5wich v Man Ure at Portaloo Road, George Best was playing for Man Ure and Norwich had never played in the top flight, all I remember of it was sitting there bored out of my mind watching a goalless bore draw, not long after that I was taken to Carrow Road and the rest is history, Hucks lad has grown up watching City and I''m sure his head won''t be turned by a trip by a trip to Old Trafford.

My old school used to run trips to Wembley to watch England back in the 70''s, I have some great memories of them trips, they were eventually stopped by the Head Master when he found out the Teachers were turning a blind eye to us drinking beer on the coach after the mother of one of the other lads complained her son had come home pissed.

Harry what school did you go too? This happened with my school as well in the 70''s i remember it well getting stopped because we had all got pissed at the back.

[quote user="exiled blue"]ok, fine, you lot on here think it`s perfectly ok.

looks like i`m on my own on this one.

*shrugs*[/quote]I can see your point on this one and I hope your view would be the same had Huckerby''s lad had been bussed up to Eastlands.To be fair Old Trafford is by some distance the best domestic stadium in the country and I think most schoolboys of whatever persuasion would like to see a game played there irrespective of the teams involved in the match. Huckerby, Jnr, is by all accounts a Norwich fan first and foremost and I agree with others on here that he''s unlikely to be '' corrupted '' by making the occasional visit or two.

[quote user="BW"]Harry what school did you go too? This happened with my school as well in the 70''s i remember it well getting stopped because we had all got pissed at the back.[/quote]

You are kiddin right[:^)]

ahh not me but thought i may have been a classmate haha. I did have many friends at cliff park however around this time. I am a norwich boy however