Sign in to follow this  
calriv

McClaren quits Forest

No relevance to us at all, just thought you''d like to know.

If you''ve got the Sky Sports News app on iPod etc, it''s on there if you want to read it all, didn''t see it on the main Sky Sports page though. Mind you, it is only about five minutes old.

Some big protests outside and inside the ground today against not only McClaren but also the board.

Nigel Doughty the owner has stepped down as chairman. He has been heavily criticised for a lack of investment and this led to the exit of Billy Davies.

However him stepping down as chairman seems really odd to me, he ploughs nearly £1m a month of his own money to keep the club solvent. Surely he can''t carry on doing so if he doesn''t have a seat on the board and a say in matters.

If Steve McClaren is fortunate enough to get another job as a manager ( a long shot at this stage ) then I would suggest he refrains from constantly reaching for the water bottle. It isn''t working. Besides, the older he gets the more difficult it will be for him to hold his water for 45 minutes at a stretch.

[quote user="Armchair Follower"]Have you noticed, that with the exception of Bobby Robson, all ex England managers fail once they leave the job ?.[/quote]

Most of them fail while they are in the job as well. But thats another story.

[quote user="Armchair Follower"]Have you noticed, that with the exception of Bobby Robson, all ex England managers fail once they leave the job ?.[/quote]McClaren did an excellent job in Holland on his return to management, winning the Dutch League with the equivalent of a Everton or Aston Villa here.Most ex-England managers are set up to fail due to negative media etc. McClaren is a good manager, but has made two poor choices in jobs with Wolfsberg and Nottingham Forest - both teams have many problems in the boardroom and were always going to be poison chalices.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Armchair Follower"]Have you noticed, that with the exception of Bobby Robson, all ex England managers fail once they leave the job ?.[/quote]

McClaren did an excellent job in Holland on his return to management, winning the Dutch League with the equivalent of a Everton or Aston Villa here.

Most ex-England managers are set up to fail due to negative media etc. McClaren is a good manager, but has made two poor choices in jobs with Wolfsberg and Nottingham Forest - both teams have many problems in the boardroom and were always going to be poison chalices.
[/quote]

But is McClaren a good manager? I see a few people saying that because he was successful at Twente and because he did alright at Boro.

I mean you say what he did with Twente was the equivalent of winning the Premier League with Everton or Villa but it''s not really though, is it? There''s no way Steve McClaren would turn Everton into a side capable of winning the league.

He did quite well at Boro but a lot of money was chucked at it.

As you mention there were problems at both Wolfsburg and Forest (he must have been well aware of the dodgy setup at Forest) and yet he still took the jobs. That suggests poor decision making on his part.

I would suggest McClaren might be a good coach but is only an average manager.

McClaren is a Coach, not a Manager.

Thats why he did so well in Holland where his job would have been preparing and coaching the 1st team-end of.

In England our Managers are usually so busy dealing with all of the other crap that comes their way, that they have hardly any time for coaching-you can read, only too often, players and other coaches mentioning how seldom "the gaffer" is seen at the training ground, with their No.2''s designated to do the coaching.

Mike Walker was a great Manager from the perspective of motivating a team, leadership, arm around shoulders/hair drier when needed etc-but he wasn''t so much a Coach as John Deehan who was more of a tactician and master planner...but, in turn, not so much of a Manager: hence them being a great partnership who never clicked on their own. They needed each other!

McClaren''s star was highest when he was Assistant to Jim Smith at Derby and Ferguson at Man Utd where he won honours and gained a very good reputation in coaching circles.

I don''t doubt that, if he returns to an exclusively coaching role, he''ll do well again.

Agreed Old Shuck.

Very similar to David Williams who I believe to be the best coach we ever had. His reputation stayed in tact and he spent many years at manchester United academy. He never managed a side so we will never know if he''d have been successful. But his reputation remains untarnished.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Agreed Old Shuck.

Very similar to David Williams who I believe to be the best coach we ever had. His reputation stayed in tact and he spent many years at manchester United academy. He never managed a side so we will never know if he''d have been successful. But his reputation remains untarnished.

[/quote]

Spot on-one ex-Norwich player who has down the rounds and played for quite a few clubs told me Williams was the best coach he ever played under and I warrant he won''t be the only one to say that.

Decent player as well-Fox is probably the closest we have to him now.

At £40''000 more than a steal, more like breaking and entering!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Hes done the right thing! It obviously wasn''t working for him at Forest![/quote]

The wally with a brolley goes off on his trolley with not a lot of lolly because of his folly.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Agreed Old Shuck.

[/quote]

Some would argue for Mel Machin getting that accolade, but it is all a matter of opinion. He did go on to be a manager. Got sacked by Swales at Man City. No disgrace there. Swales''s public reason was that Machin "lacked repartee" with the fans. Not witty enough an after-dinner speaker, presumably. Or did Swales mean "rapport"? Who can tell?

Machin went on to do OK as a manager at Barnsley and Bournemouth. Perhaps he had learned some better jokes in the meantime.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Agreed Old Shuck.

[/quote]

Some would argue for Mel Machin getting that accolade, but it is all a matter of opinion. He did go on to be a manager. Got sacked by Swales at Man City. No disgrace there. Swales''s public reason was that Machin "lacked repartee" with the fans. Not witty enough an after-dinner speaker, presumably. Or did Swales mean "rapport"? Who can tell?

Machin went on to do OK as a manager at Barnsley and Bournemouth. Perhaps he had learned some better jokes in the meantime.

[/quote]

Machin was good Purple. And proved to be a good manager too. But I enjoyed the football we played in William''s days better than anything before or since.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Agreed Old Shuck.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Machin was good Purple. And proved to be a good manager too. But I enjoyed the football we played in William''s days better than anything before or since.

[/quote]

I think I''d go along with that, nutty.

McLaren''s a top top coach. What he did with Twente is a minor miracle. At Wolfsburg he had players thrust upon him he would never have signed in Diego etc, after their title win of 09 and Magath originally left they struggled, they brought in McLaren and struggled and even now with Felix Magath back they''ve not had a strong start to the season.

This has been coming for a little while with Forest, there was talk of Steve walking when the transfer window closed. Don''t let his experience as England boss blind you as to what a great Coach he is.

There is a school of thought that suggests that the success McClaren had at Twente was mainly down to that he was just responsible for coaching and picking a team. He didn''t get to bring his own backroom staff over as they were already in place and he had to work with them. He would also have had little input into any transfers as is the norm in Europe. Which all seems to back up the idea that he is a good coach but a pretty average manager.

The difference between a manager and a coach is immense.

It always surprises me when a second-in-command is touted for a managers job when a manager leaves.

It has been seen many times in the past that good coaches of top clubs quite often do not make good managers.The most striking example of this being Brian Kidd, now at Manchester City. He was a top coach at Manchester United but a flop as Blackburn manager. It must also be remembered that our very own Peter Grant has been a ''successful'' coach at many clubs and always seems to get a job with no problem. But as a manager................

There are also some top coaches who have more sense than to take a manager''s job. Pat Rice for one. Alan Irvine is now back at Everton working in the academy there, another good coach but failed manager. There must be others!

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

The difference between a manager and a coach is immense.

It always surprises me when a second-in-command is touted for a managers job when a manager leaves.

It has been seen many times in the past that good coaches of top clubs quite often do not make good managers.The most striking example of this being Brian Kidd, now at Manchester City. He was a top coach at Manchester United but a flop as Blackburn manager. It must also be remembered that our very own Peter Grant has been a ''successful'' coach at many clubs and always seems to get a job with no problem. But as a manager................

There are also some top coaches who have more sense than to take a manager''s job. Pat Rice for one. Alan Irvine is now back at Everton working in the academy there, another good coach but failed manager. There must be others!

[/quote]

True, but there must be (though I can''t offhand think of any!) cases of coaches who do make the step up to management successfully. And if clubs never took a chance on coaches they would just end up recycling the same old managers, including the failures.

Of course one radical solution to this dilemma would be for clubs to pick ex-players who''ve never been coaches, let alone managers...[;)][:D][;)]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

Of course one radical solution to this dilemma would be for clubs to pick ex-players who''ve never been coaches, let alone managers...[;)][:D][;)]

[/quote]

Only if they''re called Bryan and have a connection with Sir Alex.