Sign in to follow this  
Hoolahan? Youlahan!

Football- Some of us just don't get it.

I''d like to start by saying that for my sins I''ve been a season ticket holder in the front row of the City Stand, right next to the home dugout since my grandmother brought me to my first game at the age of three in the 1997-98 season- (and I''m sure the more witty members of this forum will earmark me as a member of the living dead as a result)To your eternal dismay I actually have a complaint to make about some of the elder fans in the City Stand. (Complain? City Stand? Never.) Now, I understand that anyone who pays such a large amount of money for a season ticket reserves the right to do whatever they please, and I appreciate that- but some of the sheer idiocy I hear baffles me. You would think that after watching us for ''40 years'' as many of them often tell me after I''m forced to correct another ''Bring Cody on'' by telling them he''s out on loan for the umpteenth time, or a ''Go on Korey'' when Simeon''s on the ball, they would, if not recognise our players, at least know what patient build up play is.A patient approach to attacking play has been the foundation of a lot of our success, and often we see Wardy to Whitbread to Wardy to Ruddy to Whitbread to Wardy ad infinitum, but suddenly there''s an opening and the pass is slipped through to Foxy who smashes a pass out wide to the Norfolk Cafu and we''re on the attack.Unfortunately as soon as we attempt patient build up, the bleating of ''GET IT FORWARD'' etc begins, and sometimes even a well placed 60 yard pass is dismissed as a ''hoof to nobody'' while its still in midair. As a result of this unrelenting idiocy, poor old Ian Culverhouse has had to turn round several times and scream ''SHUT UP!'' at the bleaters who clearly don''t understand the fabric of the game.It''s quite embarrassing that I sit among them at times like these.I just feel that some of these people should be sent on a crash course in football management before they come back to Carrow Road.Rant over.

You could do Culverhouse a favour and tell them to shut up yourself.  I don''t get why people sit in the ground around people they clearly can''t stand and yet never say anything until behind a keyboard.

Its probably the same all around the ground (or at least there are people who do exactly what you say around me in the Jarrold...)

I really feel like turning around and telling the two people behind me to watch some other football, did they miss the World Cup, and best club team in the world building up from the back, keeping the ball etc? I''m not saying were as good or even do the same as Spain/Barca, but there are similarities. But these people just want the ball hoofed forwards..... But if it does, and we don''t win it, thats not good enough either.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]You could do Culverhouse a favour and tell them to shut up yourself.  I don''t get why people sit in the ground around people they clearly can''t stand and yet never say anything until behind a keyboard.[/quote]Mostly Chops it''s because I still sit next to my grandmother who is friends with a lot of these people, and them being mostly 50 years my senior means I feel I should show a little restraint, but occasionally I do have to have a word.

Had one sit near me in the snake pit last season.Most of the time it was send it or a groan when we pass it sideways or back,even when theres clearly no option.Slight miss pass and it was constant moans till we got it back,but yes I did mention it to him a few times,trouble is it never sunk in.

It''s the same all over the country, no one in England (outside a few top teams) appreaciate the domination of possesion and the idea of a short passing system with slow, methodical build up. A perfect example is the response to Blackpool and how people view them as a novelty because of their very attacking short passing game.

[quote user="Hoolahan Youlahan"]A patient approach to attacking play has been the foundation of a lot of our success, and often we see Wardy to Whitbread to Wardy to Ruddy to Whitbread to Wardy ad infinitum, but suddenly there''s an opening and the pass is slipped through to Foxy who smashes a pass out wide to the Norfolk Cafu and we''re on the attack.Unfortunately as soon as we attempt patient build up, the bleating of ''GET IT FORWARD'' etc begins, and sometimes even a well placed 60 yard pass is dismissed as a ''hoof to nobody'' while its still in midair. As a result of this unrelenting idiocy, poor old Ian Culverhouse has had to turn round several times and scream ''SHUT UP!'' at the bleaters who clearly don''t understand the fabric of the game.It''s quite embarrassing that I sit among them at times like these.I just feel that some of these people should be sent on a crash course in football management before they come back to Carrow Road.Rant over.[/quote]It is like that all over the ground. I once started a thread on this exact same thing, and yeah, it pisses me off too.The hypocrisy of people moaning about a patient build up and then bitching when a long ball is played is incredible.

[quote user="Hoolahan Youlahan"]I''d like to start by saying that for my sins I''ve been a season ticket holder in the front row of the City Stand, right next to the home dugout
[/quote]

You must be within touching distance of me(row B seat 101) which is directly behind the dugout.Surely you hear that baffoon who spends the whole ninty minutes moaning and groaning about the referee and his assistants.It is constant week in and week out no matter if we are winning the game by a country mile.At the Derby game we scored in first half injury time to take the lead he moaned when the referee blew for half time that there was still 30 seconds of the four minutes time added on to be played!!!!!!!! He never has one word to say about how City or our opponents are playing and he thrives on watching the officials performance and nothing else.I have turned round on a couple of occassions and had a few words.

Row A Seat 87, so not far off, no.I''m not aware of this particular idiot, though I''m sure I''ve heard him- but your description could aptly describe any of the people behind me.There''s a bloke behind me (Row B seat 70 something) who called Lansbury a gobby, arrogant tw4t several times against Millwall, and of course we all know what happened there...I took great delight in turning round and screaming ONE HENRI LANSBURY in his face.

A lot of people who go to football games know nothing about the game.  Never played in their lives.They don''t understand what can and cannot be done.What is unbelievable though, is that even someone who has had a lobotomy should be able to watch a prem game on sky and see that its possession that wins games.Guy behind me is the same.  Nobody up front, "get it forward".  We kick it forward "nobody there!".Moron.

[quote user="kellybrook"]A lot of people who go to football games know nothing about the game.  Never played in their lives.

They don''t understand what can and cannot be done.

What is unbelievable though, is that even someone who has had a lobotomy should be able to watch a prem game on sky and see that its possession that wins games.

Guy behind me is the same.  Nobody up front, "get it forward".  We kick it forward "nobody there!".

Moron.
[/quote]

If you''ve got the ball, the other team isn''t going to score. Simple!

It is not possession that wins you games, yes it is more likely but ''if you don''t shoot you don''t score''

I saw it many times with us during some awful seasons where our shots on and off target were very low indeed.

I agree there are moaners, but I always believe in varying your attack and that means in each game and, of course depending on your opposition, highlighting their weaknesses before the game to subsequently mix up your attack. Yes one move may not work but you can see how the defence reacts and more often than not, that misplaced pass if correctly placed can put us a man over etc.

Possession does tire a team out who are chasing the ball, but there is a place for playing the ball long or into the channel turning the defender etc.

I do believe that once Simeon Jackson got his scoring boots on our game changed and we did vary our attack with a more direct approach and subsequently that led to promotion. Teams work out how other teams play, stay close to hoolahan, have a battel with holt. But after Scunthorpe our possession and game plan evolved.

That is what we have to do next season, we have to have our game evolve and change through the season. Otherwise in the reverse fixture the teams we play at the start of the season can stifle a promoted team. We come up as a slight unknown, but after half the season we won''t.

So I agree with the arguement, but I also agree with the moaners to a degree that variance is needed. Certainly when we know that a long ball or pass into the channel moves the territory of the whole game and can bring us a set piece or a chance to stretch a defence. Then it is worth it.

Afraid I am a very nervous fan, constantly critical but not outspoken during the game. I certainly will compliment, probably more than others, but very rarely openly criticise. Think I constantly praise because I am a more nervous fan, as game means 3 valuable points. To me each game is vitally important and I will only celebrate for a brief moment before I am thinking of the consequences and the whole picture, which is a season.

On the other hand, as we all will agree, a defeat can put a dark cloud over you for the rest of the day. Something that certainly can happen to this fan. Any of you knowing the ripping yarns series will remember the show with the Michael Palin as the disgruntled football fan. It is pretty much that feeling in my head after a loss

The problem is that the most intelligent and rational people are turned into gibbering idiots the minute they pass throught the turnstile (the turnstile with the lucky number obviously. Wouldn''t want to jeopardise your teams chances by going through a different one [;)]). And the reason for this is that we just take it all too seriously these days. It is an absolute matter of life and death whether your team wins or not. To even think that ''it''s only a game'' is punishable by death (or withering cyber abuse that you might be a plastic fan/woman/homosexual at the very least).

When you take that level of expectation into the ground, that feeling that what happens in the next ninety minutes is the most important thing going on in the world right now, it''s no surprise that fans come out with such nonsense. You could spend the whole week producing a 10,000 word thesis entitled ''How the evolution of the false nine and aggresive pressing in the final third has turned Barcelona into the greatest club side of all time'' but it all counts for nothing in the ground. Because at 4.40 on a Saturday afternoon when your team is 1-0 down all you can think to shout is "GET IT FORWARD TO HOLTY. FAAAAARRRKIN HELL REFEREE. HIT THE CHANNELS. WE DON''T WANT IT ENOUGH. SECOND BAAAALLLLL". None of makes any sense but the pressure on the fan to show just how much you care means you can''t just sit there and keep quiet.

If everone just relaxed a little and stopped making knee jerk reactions following every little setback then football would be so much more enjoyable. Your blokes in the City Stand will be even worse next season as the pressure will be ratcheted up another notch by the belief that relegation from the promised land that is the Premier League would be worse than 9/11. Just ignore them and relax. It''s only a game you know [:D][;)]

That is far too much logic applied Shack when all I want to do is vent. Others have had their turn and I''m going to.

Jarrold Block M row B seat 185. Yes you! If you are reading this Shut up. You start moaning the first five seconds from kick off, you don''t stop all game. If you are in the same seat next season (and I''m seriously hoping that someone, even a supposed "glory hunter", a "plastic fan" maybe has nicked your seat with a season ticket nab) I''m going to make a banner with Binner on it, a big arrow pointing down and hold it behind your head and hopefully a steward will remove you for your own safety. Maybe he''ll be a few seconds too late who knows.

There, all done. Feel better now. Breathe. In, out. In, out.

I love all the characters around me in the Lower Barclay. That''s the main reason why I don''t want to move even though I should.

We have the guy with the loudest clap in the world, so loud that he was quieter using that clapper thing with a "spanners guide to on the ball city" that we were given for the last game.

Then we have the guy who''s probably my age and  can get so irate and really lose it over something that could be quite trivial but is just enough to tip him over the edge. His reaction to there being two balls in play at the same time one game nearly had me calling for the paramedics.

Then we have the little group a few rows in front who direct exactly the same chants to the away fans every game. I''m sure there''s money to be made for charity by printing bingo cards with these chants on.

But it''s all passion and I love it.

I have watched a few games from the Jarrold and it''s a fantastic stand. Brilliant view and I loved it for that. Much better than my "seat" in the Barclay. But it was full of coaches. I call it the Jarrold technical area. No passion just coaching from the sidelines and it did my ''ead in!

Regarding the build up play; it''s something that annoys me amongst fans. The whole idea of passing around the back is to ensure we keep the ball and don''t lose it by just hoofing it forward.

It''s actually part of The FA''s new strategy for English football with retaining possession, passing, etc etc. The fact that Norwich have actually got it before most of the country is brilliant. You can see in the build up play that the movement and passing is fluid, quick, successive.

The role of the defender has changed from what it was 20 years ago where they would just go through the player and punt it clear. Now they have to be proper footballers who can have the ball at their feet, can play with it, dribble it out etc. Same goes with the keeper. This fact shows just how adept our back 5 are in that they are very good on the ball and can just pass it about.

As for the players names etc. Don''t worry my brother has done the same. When Scunthorpe had a man sent off my dad asked if it was Nelson because he had him to score in a bet, to which my brother simply replied "i didn''t think we had him anymore?"

Unfortunately people pay there money and you can''t stop them. You just have to put up with it. Or move seats.

And what exactly would be the point in moving seats, according to everyone on here it''s the same all over the ground. The fact that the bleaters annoy me doesn''t mean I''m not vocal, I''m always roaring the lads over the line to the point that I can barely speak after most games- but some people are just idiots.

[quote user="itstheruddyfuture"]That is far too much logic applied Shack when all I want to do is vent.[/quote]

Which sort of proves my point [;)]

My intention had been to acknowledge that fact Shack. http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-42.gif

You should get yourselves near me in Row O Block M of the Jarrold. A couple of rows back you''ll get Mr Switch, a guy who screams nonsense for the whole 90 minutes, with a particular favourite of shouting "SWITCH!!!" randomly and inappropriately (the best example was when Barnett was surrounded by three forwards near his own corner flag). Leeds canary has twice had the unique privilege of sitting near him and will back me up on this.

He actually started a fight with the bloke in front of him after 20 minutes of the first League game, and repeated the performance a few games before the end of the season, resulting in a major disturbance.

Now I see why so many people want to sit in the Barclay, no moaning but the best comments I ever hear are....."Give him a ticket ref!""I like that, I like that a lot""Now that is a ping.""Q WA LA TAY"All the things that should be said with healthy doses of banter to the away fans. A lot of the lads around understand football and get, as others said, what can and can''t be done both tactically and physically in a game. It''s also nice to be able to discuss opponents in a realistic manner, other than just "Not Norwich must be awful!"There is of course one idiot that seems to think his meanderings and general appearance towards the away fans makes him some sort of hero, however he just makes US look stupid!