Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Jermaine Defoe versus Cody Macdonald

[quote user="CDMullins"]You explained something that was completely irrelevant to the question.

So in summary you would rather have Cody Mcdonald than Fernando Torres or Jermaine Defoe?[/quote]

You seemed to be missing the point!

First year back even with Mcnally at the helm,we wouldnt spend o.t.t money on players..No promoted team would!

And its not a question of goals per game ratio..

Its a goal per shot/chances thats more important,

and as i said earlier,even spurs ST Holders would rather have JACKO than defoe,with the amount of chances he apparently squanderd this season!

[quote user="Eadienhucks"][quote user="CDMullins"]You explained something that was completely irrelevant to the question.

So in summary you would rather have Cody Mcdonald than Fernando Torres or Jermaine Defoe?[/quote]

You seemed to be missing the point!

First year back even with Mcnally at the helm,we wouldnt spend o.t.t money on players..No promoted team would!

And its not a question of goals per game ratio..

Its a goal per shot/chances thats more important,

and as i said earlier,even spurs ST Holders would rather have JACKO than defoe,with the amount of chances he apparently squanderd this season![/quote]Yes, but I''m pretty sure that there are several threads from Norwich ST holders who wanted Cody back in place of Jackson.  Hey, maybe we can offer Spurs a Defoe plus cash deal for Cody?  Win-win.

lol Defoe will never come to us, he will end up somewhere like Newcastle where they can pay him 40-60k a week.

Cody Macdonald will also be elsewhere, probably league 1 or the championship.

This is the most ridiculous thread i''ve seen for a long time.  The worrying thing is there are some serious replies that they''d rather have Cody...

[quote user="scrappy33"]lol Defoe will never come to us, he will end up somewhere like Newcastle where they can pay him 40-60k a week.

Cody Macdonald will also be elsewhere, probably league 1 or the championship.[/quote]

LOL HUCKS WOULD NEVER COME TO US!

Even CROUCH stated in 2004,during the summer.he would be hapy to sign for NORWICH..But the ahem Board led by Doomcaster wouldnt dream of risking 2 mill when we might have a good season without splashing out!

Then in january,as the ship was sinking,they(Doomcaster) finally decided it might be prudent to buy Ashton...

As i said earlier,to sign someone who still as England asperations,we would need to have at least done a stoke/wba or better still a bolton...

NO JUST PROMOTED SIDE WOULD GET HIM!!

With this board,we can buy hungry players who want to prove themselves,and foreign who want to get a foot hold into the prem

[quote user="jed exodous"]This is the most ridiculous thread i''ve seen for a long time.  The worrying thing is there are some serious replies that they''d rather have Cody...[/quote]

Would you really want to waste money on Defoe? He''s not really that good.....

I don''t think anyone actually thinks Cody is a better player, but if it came down to wasting a few million on Defoe, or keeping Cody. I would rather keep Cody.....

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="jed exodous"]This is the most ridiculous thread i''ve seen for a long time.  The worrying thing is there are some serious replies that they''d rather have Cody...[/quote] Would you really want to waste money on Defoe? He''s not really that good..... I don''t think anyone actually thinks Cody is a better player, but if it came down to wasting a few million on Defoe, or keeping Cody. I would rather keep Cody.....[/quote]

Well, Cody does run around a lot...

If Jermaine Defoe was a serious transfer target, if he''d accept a salary that fits into our structure and if he wanted to play for us, i''d have him here in a shot, even if he''d cost 4 or 5 million, i''d have him over the likes of Maynard, Nugent, Granham, everyday of the week...  and i''m sure Lambert would as well.  In my opinion, we are very short in the striking department.  Holts carried us all season, Jackon done well in the last 7 or 8 games, Wes has been solid all season, but we need a lot more better options up top other than Martin, Wilbrahimovic, Johnson, Mcdonald...

People have been debating Cody all season long.  If he was good enough for us, he would''ve played more games in league 1 for us.  Just because hes had a good season in league 2, you cant seriously think that he''d be a better option to have up front than Defeo???

Apparently Fergie is looking to do a player plus cash deal to get Cody McDonald to Old Trafford.

He wasn''t happy with Rooney''s goals to games ratio in the prem and champs league this season so is looking to replace him with a striker who scored more goals in less games in league 2 as he must surely be a better player.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]We are never gonna get him but who in their right mind wouldn''t spend £4m on him?![/quote]

I wouldnt!!!

And this is not just from what ive read or saw on sky,This is from listening to a couple of die hard spurs ST Holders!

Even if we were now in stoke/bolton or wba`s position,and had established ourselves in the prem,

His goals to missed chances and shots ratio,is pathetic!

So i wouldnt spent 2 mill let alone 4 mill! and like my spurs mates,would rather have JACKO any day of the week!!!

To be honest, i think its quite pathetic all this taking the piss because a couple of people rate MacDonald. Have you seen him play in out team, at a higher level? A lot of people thought Holt would be rubbish in the Championship because he hadn''t done it before, and at 29/30 he proved everyone wrong. Why can''t MacDonald? I''m not trying to say he''s going to make it, or that he''s any good at all. But all these people writing him off, just because he hasn''t played at a higher level. In the few appearance he made, at the beginning of his career in the Championship and League One, he impressed to an extent. He has been given a full season in League Two, and has done very well. In the right team, with the right system, why on earth can''t he do it at a higher level? Its nice to know we have a message board full of football managers isn''t it....

For £4 million, and £10k max a week, yes i would take Defoe, but anymore and No way.... He can score, he is quick and has other decent attributes, but he''s actually pretty average. In my opinion, it would be better to buy 3/4 players with the minimum amount it would cost to have Deofeo here for even just one season (including wages/bonuses etc). Who individually may not be as good, but fit in the team, and can play well enough.

[quote user="Gingerpele"] Its nice to know we have a message board full of football managers isn''t it....

For £4 million, and £10k max a week, yes i would take Defoe, but anymore and No way.... [/quote]Brilliant.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]To be honest, i think its quite pathetic all this taking the piss because a couple of people rate MacDonald. Have you seen him play in out team, at a higher level? A lot of people thought Holt would be rubbish in the Championship because he hadn''t done it before, and at 29/30 he proved everyone wrong. Why can''t MacDonald? I''m not trying to say he''s going to make it, or that he''s any good at all. But all these people writing him off, just because he hasn''t played at a higher level. In the few appearance he made, at the beginning of his career in the Championship and League One, he impressed to an extent. He has been given a full season in League Two, and has done very well. In the right team, with the right system, why on earth can''t he do it at a higher level? Its nice to know we have a message board full of football managers isn''t it.... For £4 million, and £10k max a week, yes i would take Defoe, but anymore and No way.... He can score, he is quick and has other decent attributes, but he''s actually pretty average. In my opinion, it would be better to buy 3/4 players with the minimum amount it would cost to have Deofeo here for even just one season (including wages/bonuses etc). Who individually may not be as good, but fit in the team, and can play well enough.[/quote]

Hear Hear !!!!

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Gingerpele"] Its nice to know we have a message board full of football managers isn''t it....

For £4 million, and £10k max a week, yes i would take Defoe, but anymore and No way.... [/quote]Brilliant.

[/quote]

Yeah....

Not having a direct dig at you Ginge, but can you or anyone else on here for that matter point out 5 players who in the last 5 years have had an impact, as in started at least 25 games in the prem for a team whos just been promoted, when the previous season they''ve been playing league 1 or league 2 football?  Thats why Cody''s not good enough, thats why teams like Peterborough and Coventry and Gillingham are linked to him.  For me, hes just too small.  If you''re small, you need to be quick and skillfull in the higher leagues and Cody hasn''t been.  Yeah, hes shown commitment and desire, but that, more often than not isn''t enough.

Bring back IWAAAAAAAAN IWAAAAAAAAAAN

[quote user="jed exodous"]Not having a direct dig at you Ginge, but can you or anyone else on here for that matter point out 5 players who in the last 5 years have had an impact, as in started at least 25 games in the prem for a team whos just been promoted, when the previous season they''ve been playing league 1 or league 2 football?  Thats why Cody''s not good enough, thats why teams like Peterborough and Coventry and Gillingham are linked to him.  For me, hes just too small.  If you''re small, you need to be quick and skillfull in the higher leagues and Cody hasn''t been.  Yeah, hes shown commitment and desire, but that, more often than not isn''t enough.[/quote]Jackson  5''8"  159 lbDefoe     5''5"   145 lbMcDonald    5''10"   154 lbSo if Cody is too small, what are the other 2?

Not just in height though, Cody just looks like he''d get brushed off the ball.  Jackson is very difficult to judge.  He struggled for 3/4 of the season if you remember past the last 10 games.  And Defoe has the other attributes i mentioned, skill and pace, not to mention power.  Can you imagine Macdonald rifling one in from 25 yards?  No me neither...

[quote user="jed exodous"]Not just in height though, Cody just looks like he''d get brushed off the ball.  Jackson is very difficult to judge.  He struggled for 3/4 of the season if you remember past the last 10 games.  And Defoe has the other attributes i mentioned, skill and pace, not to mention power.  Can you imagine Macdonald rifling one in from 25 yards?  No me neither...[/quote]

What a foolish comment. You obviously haven''t seen Cody has scored 25 goals or so in a very physical league while Defoe has scored 4. [:D]

Have you seen CMS rifle them in from 25 yards, cos I haven''t ? I have seen Cody hit some long-range goals in fact, but not CMS.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

jed, i have no idea if Cody is good enough. He probably isn''t. But i just get a bit fed up with the comments writing him off when he hasn''t really had a chance.

Yes he''s not a youngster, but he is definatly still learning and developing his game. And with what Lambert has done with some of our players is amazing. Do you think Shrewsbury fans, when they lost Grant Holt to us, thought he would be a premiership player in two years time? The way the team plays now, i think Cody could do something, maybe nothing special, but i would have thought he would be worth keeping around.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="jed exodous"]Not just in height though, Cody just looks like he''d get brushed off the ball.  Jackson is very difficult to judge.  He struggled for 3/4 of the season if you remember past the last 10 games.  And Defoe has the other attributes i mentioned, skill and pace, not to mention power.  Can you imagine Macdonald rifling one in from 25 yards?  No me neither...[/quote]

What a foolish comment. You obviously haven''t seen Cody has scored 25 goals or so in a very physical league while Defoe has scored 4. [:D]

Have you seen CMS rifle them in from 25 yards, cos I haven''t ? I have seen Cody hit some long-range goals in fact, but not CMS.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

[/quote]

Yeah cause taking on league 2 defenders is the same as premier league defenders isn''t it...

Dont know why you''ve brought CMS into this, i haven''t mentioned anything for or against him.  I''m now watching the video of his 25 goals this season...

[quote user="paul moy"]

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

[/quote]Cody is so good, he got outscored by a 32 year old!

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

[quote user="jed exodous"]Not just in height though, Cody just looks like he''d get brushed off the ball.  Jackson is very difficult to judge.  He struggled for 3/4 of the season if you remember past the last 10 games.  And Defoe has the other attributes i mentioned, skill and pace, not to mention power.  Can you imagine Macdonald rifling one in from 25 yards?  No me neither...[/quote]I don''t agree. Cody looks much more tenacious on the ball than Jackson & probably as much as Defoe. I don''t know whether he could rifle one in from 25 yards; I don''t think he''s had the confidence to try that yet. Defoe looks the strongest of the three, which is odd, because he is certainly physically the smallest. Who''s quickest? I''m not sure. Although Jackson & Defoe probably have the best acceleration. I''d say Defoe has the better close control & is the most "sophisticated" player.One thing I am sure of is that Cody has the best leap on him. I reckon he''d outscore either with his head.I think it''s possible that he didn''t get much chance here last season because Martin & Holt were playing really well together, & he had very little experience of professional football.Perhaps Lambert simply doesn''t rate him, I don''t know. He knows a bugger sight more about footie than I - or you - or anyone else here. So I''ll bow to his judgment. But people that state categorically that he''ll only ever be a lower league player are premature.

The video on youtube of all his goals for the Gills is on Youtube.  Granted hes scored some decent goals for them, both indiviually and a few tap ins, but the only goal from outside the box was his 6th goal this season which was the edge of the box.  Some of the defending was truely comical in that video.  Its opened my eyes a bit, he has more to his game than i gave him credit for, but seriousley mate, to even consider him in the same sentence as Defoe is still comical.

[quote user="jed exodous"][quote user="paul moy"]

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

[/quote]

Yeah cause taking on league 2 defenders is the same as premier league defenders isn''t it...

Dont know why you''ve brought CMS into this, i haven''t mentioned anything for or against him.  I''m now watching the video of his 25 goals this season...

[/quote]

If he was physically weak he certainly would not have scored so many cracking goals in Div 2.   He''s actually been praised in the media for outjumping huge defenders to score headed goals and you''re saying he gets brushed off the ball.  You used the erroneous ''fact'' that he does not score long range goals to denigrate him, so I brought up CMS because we are thinking of buying somebody for about 3 million quid that certainly appears to have that ''weakness'', when Cody cost all of 25K.

[quote user="jed exodous"]

The video on youtube of all his goals for the Gills is on Youtube.  Granted hes scored some decent goals for them, both indiviually and a few tap ins, but the only goal from outside the box was his 6th goal this season which was the edge of the box.  Some of the defending was truely comical in that video.  Its opened my eyes a bit, he has more to his game than i gave him credit for, but seriousley mate, to even consider him in the same sentence as Defoe is still comical.

[/quote]

He''s probably hit a few from outside the box that have been disallowed, so you won''t see them on that video. One in particular was not far from the half-way line and was shown on the FLS. It was very impressive indeed which is why they showed it, but why it was disallowed is anybody''s guess.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Gingerpele"] Its nice to know we have a message board full of football managers isn''t it....

[/quote]I think you''ll find, GP, that Defoe will be looking for something close to that per DAY.......

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="jed exodous"]

[/quote]

He''s probably hit a few from outside the box that have been disallowed, so you won''t see them on that video. One in particular was not far from the half-way line and was shown on the FLS. It was very impressive indeed which is why they showed it, but why it was disallowed is anybody''s guess.

[/quote]Could you supply a link to that video please? The only one I can find has been deleted.