Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Darel Russell

Love him? Hate him? Don''t give a stuff about him?I personally won''t clap or boo, but i don''t think he did himself any favours with the transfer saga that dragged on last summer!  I think Lambert was spot on, and with Crofts being a similar player i think we won hands down.

I will give him a clap when his name gets read out but that will be about it.  I don''t love the guy and think he is some super Huckerby like player and I don''t hate the guy either.

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]Love him? Hate him? Don''t give a stuff about him?I personally won''t clap or boo, but i don''t think he did himself any favours with the transfer saga that dragged on last summer!  I think Lambert was spot on, and with Crofts being a similar player i think we won hands down. [/quote]What did he do exactly that was bad enough to create this image? For it''s already been established on numerous occasions that it was only him asking for a 3 year contract, when a 2 year one was on the table, that created this elongated process of negotiation that resulted in us venturing into the market to buy Andrew Surman instead of extending Darel''s.He desperately wanted to stay here, as someone that was loyal to the cause, and he shouldn''t be condemned for it as far as i can see.

[quote user="John"][quote user="Canaries Utd"]Love him? Hate him? Don''t give a stuff about him?I personally won''t clap or boo, but i don''t think he did himself any favours with the transfer saga that dragged on last summer!� I think Lambert was spot on, and with Crofts being a similar player i think we won hands down. [/quote]What did he do exactly that was bad enough to create this image? For it''s already been established on numerous occasions that it was only him asking for a 3 year contract, when a 2 year one was on the table, that created this elongated process of negotiation that resulted in us venturing into the market to buy Andrew Surman instead of extending Darel''s.He desperately wanted to stay here, as someone that was loyal to the cause, and he shouldn''t be condemned for it as far as i can see.[/quote]

didnt want to stay here that much if he snubbed a 2 year deal!

[quote user="John"][quote user="Canaries Utd"]Love him? Hate him? Don''t give a stuff about him?I personally won''t clap or boo, but i don''t think he did himself any favours with the transfer saga that dragged on last summer!  I think Lambert was spot on, and with Crofts being a similar player i think we won hands down. [/quote]What did he do exactly that was bad enough to create this image? For it''s already been established on numerous occasions that it was only him asking for a 3 year contract, when a 2 year one was on the table, that created this elongated process of negotiation that resulted in us venturing into the market to buy Andrew Surman instead of extending Darel''s.He desperately wanted to stay here, as someone that was loyal to the cause, and he shouldn''t be condemned for it as far as i can see.[/quote]Pure greed, nothing wrong with a two year contract, especially on a footballers wage. Apparently (cant remember who said it), but he at least on one occasion turned up late for training with a couldn''t care less attitude when the contract negotiations were on going, and Lambert sent him home, that was the end of Russell.  As for desperately wanting to stay here, who told you that? Didn''t seem to care for Norwich when he didn''t get his way!

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]I personally won''t clap or boo[/quote]He''s not in the squad anyway.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="John"][quote user="Canaries Utd"]Love him? Hate him? Don''t give a stuff about him?I personally won''t clap or boo, but i don''t think he did himself any favours with the transfer saga that dragged on last summer!� I think Lambert was spot on, and with Crofts being a similar player i think we won hands down. [/quote]What did he do exactly that was bad enough to create this image? For it''s already been established on numerous occasions that it was only him asking for a 3 year contract, when a 2 year one was on the table, that created this elongated process of negotiation that resulted in us venturing into the market to buy Andrew Surman instead of extending Darel''s.He desperately wanted to stay here, as someone that was loyal to the cause, and he shouldn''t be condemned for it as far as i can see.[/quote]

didnt want to stay here that much if he snubbed a 2 year deal![/quote]Didn''t snub it, so much as he wanted a 3 year deal instead (in itself, surely suggestive of wanting to stay here?).In fact, if i recall correctly, he eventually gave in, only to be told the club had just spent over a million on a different player taking his place in the side.

[quote user="John"][quote user="Canaries Utd"]Love him? Hate him? Don''t give a stuff about him?I personally won''t clap or boo, but i don''t think he did himself any favours with the transfer saga that dragged on last summer!  I think Lambert was spot on, and with Crofts being a similar player i think we won hands down. [/quote]What did he do exactly that was bad enough to create this image? For it''s already been established on numerous occasions that it was only him asking for a 3 year contract, when a 2 year one was on the table, that created this elongated process of negotiation that resulted in us venturing into the market to buy Andrew Surman instead of extending Darel''s.He desperately wanted to stay here, as someone that was loyal to the cause, and he shouldn''t be condemned for it as far as i can see.[/quote]This is true, however he still fluffed us about over the whole thing. He knew what the deal was with the 2 year contract, it had been on the table for a while and he was trying to get longer terms, and better wages by holding the threat over us that he would go in the summer for free to any number of clubs which his agent was saying were interested in him.The whole thing is not his fault, as the agents are the key to negotiations, but if he wanted to stay at City, he could have signed the contract which had been on the table for a while.I know he ended up regretting his decision and wanted to stay but it was himself and his agent who forced him out of the club and refused to sign the contract, no one else. He ended up saying he would agree to the terms of the contract NCFC offered him, but by that time Lambert had found a replacement (who has turned out to be quality and more consistent than Russel)

Don''t have much of an opinion on him except I do think he thought he was far better than he was. Very average player.

According to radio Norfolk he has been left out of the Preston Squad which judging by his comments will have come as a surprise. Looks like he is on his way

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="Canaries Utd"]I personally won''t clap or boo[/quote]He''s not in the squad anyway.[/quote]really? where did you get that snippet of information from?

In keeping with the spirit of the pinkun forums...my super secret source at the heart of the club of course...Or I might have heard it on Radio Norfolk on the way home from work ;)

[quote user="Herb"]In keeping with the spirit of the pinkun forums...my super secret source at the heart of the club of course...
Or I might have heard it on Radio Norfolk on the way home from work ;)

[/quote]

He hasn''t featured for 3 weeks so far and knows he don''t fit in with Browns plans Evening press today, he may even go to Peterborough to get a game, Thats just a thought not Rumour. 

If he is in the team, which giving Prestons postion, says alot if he cant get a game, i will certainly boo him, thats if he can get his head through the players tunnell

Not that fussed really. I think ultimately Russell has always been a player who belongs in either a low championship team or he is a good league 1 player. His career in microcosm is probably summed up by the fact that Norwich got promoted just after he left for Stoke and Stoke subsequently got promoted after he came back to us!  If you told me we could still have him in return for offloading Tudur Jones and Gill I wouldnt have minded that to be honest as he did a tidy job in that holding role last season. So he would be decent back up to Fox.

He was symbolic of the old holiday camp mentality and that was why he was shipped out (turning up late for training and giving the impression that he thought he was more important than the team). In addition, you just know that sooner or later he will lose it and see red.

[quote user="Jacko"]Not that fussed really. I think ultimately Russell has always been a player who belongs in either a low championship team or he is a good league 1 player. His career in microcosm is probably summed up by the fact that Norwich got promoted just after he left for Stoke and Stoke subsequently got promoted after he came back to us!  If you told me we could still have him in return for offloading Tudur Jones and Gill I wouldnt have minded that to be honest as he did a tidy job in that holding role last season. So he would be decent back up to Fox.[/quote]

Lets hope it''s three on the trot.

i quite like Russell, wasn''t happy when he left the first time. Although both times, i think its fair to say he wasn''t/hasn''t been missed much.

I won''t be there this saturday :( So even if he was playing, i wouldn''t be able to give a reaction, but i would probably give him a little clap, not too much though, save that for our players :D

[quote user="Gingerpele"]i quite like Russell, wasn''t happy when he left the first time. Although both times, i think its fair to say he wasn''t/hasn''t been missed much. I won''t be there this saturday :( So even if he was playing, i wouldn''t be able to give a reaction, but i would probably give him a little clap, not too much though, save that for our players :D[/quote]

He was on the radio tonight saying he wasn''t picked to be in the travelling 18 man squad so is very disappointed that we won''t be seeing him, gone down the hill hasn''t he if he can''t make Prestons squad. [:)]

Don''t see whats so wrong about a player wanting a longer contract and securing the long-term future of himself and his family.

Football is a very short career and could end any day through injury or bad luck.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Don''t see whats so wrong about a player wanting a longer contract and securing the long-term future of himself and his family. Football is a very short career and could end any day through injury or bad luck.[/quote]

Nothing wrong at all. It is my view that PL is an extremely fair Manager but he is also very hard. Russell was offered a contract but kept his options open (obviously looking at other offers) and kept PL hanging around whilst he was trying to put the squad together. In the end, he pushed him too far and the decision was made to replace him. Russell turned up late for training, said he was ready to sign the contract but was told that it was no longer available as he had been replaced. Fair enough. If you play poker, you have to be prepared to have your bluff called. I wonder where he would rather be now? Out of PNE''s preferred 18 heading for Division 3, or part of a team going for promotion? As long as he is getting paid for the rest of this year and the next two, I don''t suppose it really matters.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Don''t see whats so wrong about a player wanting a longer contract and securing the long-term future of himself and his family. Football is a very short career and could end any day through injury or bad luck.[/quote]

I think at his age he should have been grateful for a two year deal. That would have been worth at least £500,000 to him (calculated at 5K a week). Not bad. A lot of ordinary people would need about 20 years to earn that sort of money.

[quote user="Dan Druff"]

I think at his age he should have been grateful for a two year deal. That would have been worth at least £500,000 to him (calculated at 5K a week). Not bad. A lot of ordinary people would need about 20 years to earn that sort of money.

[/quote]

Greedy, not particularly bright and poorly advised.

Hasn''t made the squad and not even travelling. Shame. He would have been good for a red card.

I find it interesting that Lappin was given a 3 year contract whilst Russell was only offered 2 years. Obviously Lappin is that little bit younger but I guess it also suggested Lambert felt he much more committed to the cause and therefore deserved it.

I am not suggesting Russell was worth 3 years by the way. I thought 2 was very fair.