Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

It's the supply line, not the strikers!

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Well, it seems that the majority of people on this thread think that Lambert and I are wrong.

Why did we try so hard to waste those scarce funds on Elliott Bennett in January if what we really need is a million pound striker instead? Any twist you put on it, Bennett is essentially a midfielder.

I know which company I prefer.

OTBC

[/quote]Did you manage to watch a stream of the game on Saturday Bly? After a relatively poor first half, we again took the game to a team away from home, created plenty of chances and just didn''t put them away. Having Bennett would undoubtedly have strengthened the squad, and  given us even more creative potential. I think we all agree that our strikers are off form at the moment, and if one or more of them hit a purple patch we will not have any problems scoring enough goals.[/quote]No, don''t you understand, we''re all wrong in this opinion, its only Bly and Paul Lambert that have any real clue.[:D]

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Bly - Your theory is only correct if you know for a fact that PL was ONLY after Bennett and nobody else.......[/quote]

I agree, but McNally made it clear that the big money target was Bennett.

Lambert may well have been after another striker as well, but improving the supply line was clearly his priority in January.

Steve Bruce may well be right in his assertion that when seeking promotion from the Championship one can''t have too many strikers.

But as I said it is hard to fault Lambert much since he''s been with us.

OTBC

[quote user="First Wazzock"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

Your own I would imagine.

[/quote]

Wrong.

As usual.

[:P]

OTBC

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Well, it seems that the majority of people on this thread think that Lambert and I are wrong.

Why did we try so hard to waste those scarce funds on Elliott Bennett in January if what we really need is a million pound striker instead? Any twist you put on it, Bennett is essentially a midfielder.

OTBC

[/quote]
Did you manage to watch a stream of the game on Saturday Bly? After a relatively poor first half, we again took the game to a team away from home, created plenty of chances and just didn''t put them away. Having Bennett would undoubtedly have strengthened the squad, and  given us even more creative potential. I think we all agree that our strikers are off form at the moment, and if one or more of them hit a purple patch we will not have any problems scoring enough goals.
[/quote]

I saw the Burnley match three hours time-delayed in living colour on cable - Fox Sports Plus - on big screen TV.

And I made sure I didn''t hear the result before I watched it.

Would you like any more details?

OTBC

P.S. I also saw the South Wales derby  complete with Bellars goal. Did you?

P.P.S. I also saw 3 Prem matches live. Did you?

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]
Did you manage to watch a stream of the game on Saturday Bly? After a relatively poor first half, we again took the game to a team away from home, created plenty of chances and just didn''t put them away. Having Bennett would undoubtedly have strengthened the squad, and  given us even more creative potential. I think we all agree that our strikers are off form at the moment, and if one or more of them hit a purple patch we will not have any problems scoring enough goals.
[/quote]

I saw the Burnley match three hours time-delayed in living colour on cable - Fox Sports Plus - on big screen TV.

OTBC

[/quote]

Do you have to try very hard to get everybody to think you are a complete dick head or does just come naturally.[:@]

The point you make is a fair one Bly and I for one would not doubt Paul Lambert, that said I am not sure who he would have dropped to slot Bennett in (I am working on the assumption that a big money signing would be the second name on the teamsheet after Holt), maybe he was going to play one up front?.....

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]
[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

Do you have to try very hard to get everybody to think you are a complete dick head or does just come naturally.[:@]

[/quote]

Seems to me that Ex-Chairman Plod of the Chase Out Loons needs some lessons in anger management today.

Cool down bro. Life''s too short.

One love.

[;)]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]
[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Seems to me that Ex-Chairman Plod of the Chase Out Loons needs some lessons in anger management today.

One love.

[;)]

OTBC

[/quote]

"Ex-Chairman Plod of the Chase Out Loons" ....as Lappinitup would say Yawn or Morty,Cock.Still at least you are consistent in your ill founded view on things.I used to feel sorry for those that have to suffer you in the flesh but that has turned to pity and despair. At least we at this end can turn off the computer.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]Did you manage to watch a stream of the game on Saturday Bly? After a relatively poor first half, we again took the game to a team away from home, created plenty of chances and just didn''t put them away. Having Bennett would undoubtedly have strengthened the squad, and  given us even more creative potential. I think we all agree that our strikers are off form at the moment, and if one or more of them hit a purple patch we will not have any problems scoring enough goals.[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

One love.

[;)]

OTBC

[/quote]

"Ex-Chairman Plod of the Chase Out Loons" ....as Lappinitup would say Yawn or Morty,Cock.Still at least you are consistent in your ill founded view on things.I used to feel sorry for those that have to suffer you in the flesh but that has turned to pity and despair. At least we at this end can turn off the computer.

[/quote]One has to question whether your personality was really appropriate to head a supporters group Plod.Looks to me like you have reverted to bully boy type very quickly and shown why the misguided NCISA died a death under your watch.Just an observation.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]
[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

One love.

[;)]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

One has to question whether your personality was really appropriate to head a supporters group Plod.

Looks to me like you have reverted to bully boy type very quickly and shown why the misguided NCISA died a death under your watch.

Just an observation.
[/quote]

Maybe you could enlighten me how "NCISA died a death" under my watch. Maybe you would like to research the membership numbers for previous and current watches to use your expression.You may well get a surprise.Such posts as yours will bring til seeker out of his cave.If ever anyone is misguided it is those like yourself who have your thoughts and views but not facts.

Wasn''t at the Burnley game. But by my reckoning against Millwall we still created some pretty decent chances even though we werent really at the races for long periods. I counted 2 decent sighters for Lappin which he slammed over, Jackson''s 1 v 1 against Forde and Holt had the odd opening as well. Looking at other games where we have come unstuck like Hull we missed a lot chances there. Martin in particular when he went through 1 v 1.

Its a bit tough to criticise the creativity of the midfield when Wes, Crofts and now Lansbury have weighed in with a lot of goals. I personally think we are a quality striker short of seriously challenging for automatic promotion. And if you dont believe me how come Holt is still scoring goals if the service is absolutely terrible?

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]Did you manage to watch a stream of the game on Saturday Bly? After a relatively poor first half, we again took the game to a team away from home, created plenty of chances and just didn''t put them away. Having Bennett would undoubtedly have strengthened the squad, and  given us even more creative potential. I think we all agree that our strikers are off form at the moment, and if one or more of them hit a purple patch we will not have any problems scoring enough goals.[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

One love.

[;)]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]One has to question whether your personality was really appropriate to head a supporters group Plod.Looks to me like you have reverted to bully boy type very quickly and shown why the misguided NCISA died a death under your watch.Just an observation.[/quote]

Maybe you could enlighten me how "NCISA died a death" under my watch. Maybe you would like to research the membership numbers for previous and current watches to use your expression.You may well get a surprise.Such posts as yours will bring til seeker out of his cave.If ever anyone is misguided it is those like yourself who have your thoughts and views but not facts.

[/quote]Til the seeker?You mean you''re a lardy arsed idle egotist like every other copper (ex or otherwise) that I''ve encountered?Well... you learn something new everyday.

Haven''t seen a stream of the Burnley game, only listened to it on the radio so that must make me a poor fan. Saw three Prem games plus the Swansea v Cardiff game which could have made me a bad partner only she''s as footy bonkers as me so I guess it does mean that we are saddos with no life.

Came on here to learn and discuss but I''ve seen all this before, hugely enjoyable for some I''m sure but it does get boring after a while honestly. At the end of the day you massively knowledgeable fans all represent our club and you get stuck in a ever decreasing circles.

Some of you will say "well don''t read it then" but it''s not an answer cos you can''t just filter it out. Why don''t you try to persuade each other to your opinions and be willing to be persuaded?

I''ll get my coat.

The Daily Telegraph today, as most Mondays, publishes league tables, and then for each division the "leading" clubs for various things like attempts on goal, fouls, etc.

On attempts on goal we seem to be regularly in the top four of the Championship, and not far behind the leading team. Today we are 280 or so attempts for the season, the leading club 307.

So on average we are attempt 9 per match!

Week after week we see shots lifted over the bar because of rushed attempts, headers missed, (- how many has Barnett headed over?), and shots straight at the keeper. There has been some poor finishing throughout the season. Even Holty is guilty of poor finishing on occasions.

I think that you could make a good case for the thesis that we would be out of sight of other teams if the defence had not made so many errors, and is still making.

I go along with your thesis in part because the midfield is partly at fault, however. On the days when we seem to be lethargic, as we have been frequently recently, and especially when teams come to stop us playing, the midfield is at fault for being too slow to get the ball forward. By the time we reach the penalty area it is packed with opponents, and we lack the skill to unlock the defence. When we are at our best, however, we play rapid one-touch passing, which cuts through defences.

Bennett''s contribution would have been to get forward quickly and cross the ball to our arriving strikers before the massed defence is in position and our players are closely marked.

Salopian''s table makes interesting reading. It rather reinforces a point I made earlier in the thread. Football is a team game. Strikers have to defend and defenders have to attack.

I compared us and Cardiff as Cardiff were mentioned in this thread and I have been told on other threads that Cardiff have quality strikers.

Cardiff : 296 shots - 139 on target - 48 goals.

Cardiff strikers (Including Bellamy) Bothroyd 15, Bellamy 8, Chopra 6, Parkin 1, Keogh 1.

Cardiff defenders : Naylor 2, Gyepes 1.

Norwich : 316 shots - 144 on target - 47 goals.

Norwich strikers (Including Hoolahan) Holt 11, Hoolahan 8, Martin 4, Jackson 4.

Norwich defenders : Martin 4, Nelson 2, Barnett 1, Drury 1, Ward 1.

Food for thought there, football is a team game. I wonder if Cardiff fans have threads about their defenders not chipping in with enough goals.

As for this thread - I don''t think it''s the supply line or the strikers as such. I think what Lambert is trying to add to the side is pace.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Salopian''s table makes interesting reading. It rather reinforces a point I made earlier in the thread. Football is a team game. Strikers have to defend and defenders have to attack.

I compared us and Cardiff as Cardiff were mentioned in this thread and I have been told on other threads that Cardiff have quality strikers.

Cardiff strikers (Including Bellamy) Bothroyd 15, Bellamy 8, Chopra 6, Parkin 1, Keogh 1.

Food for thought there, football is a team game. I wonder if Cardiff fans have threads about their defenders not chipping in with enough goals.

As for this thread - I don''t think it''s the supply line or the strikers as such. I think what Lambert is trying to add to the side is pace.

[/quote]

Maybe so, but that doesn''t alter the fact that his prime target in January was by all accounts a pacey midfielder rather than a pacy striker.

And wouldn''t the introduction of a pacy creative midfielder like Bennett have the prime effect of improving the supply line - either for ths main strikers or late arriving midfielders?

OTBC

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Maybe so, but that doesn''t alter the fact that his prime target in January was by all accounts a pacey midfielder rather than a pacy striker.

[/quote]And that''s just it Bly, if Brighton hadn''t made our interest known, no-one this end would have been any the wiser just like the rest of Lamberts signings. So how do you know he was Lamberts "prime" target?

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

And wouldn''t the introduction of a pacy creative midfielder like Bennett have the prime effect of improving the supply line - either for ths main strikers or late arriving midfielders?

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]

Well I hope we get the chance to find out.

Supply line or goalscoring?

Adding pace to the team with a player like Bennett could provide both.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]And that''s just it Bly, if Brighton hadn''t made our interest known, no-one this end would have been any the wiser just like the rest of Lamberts signings. So how do you know he was Lamberts "prime" target?

[/quote]

Between statements made by Brighton and McNally on the matter I didn''t think there was any doubt.

Is there? You''re closer than me.

Unless. of course we can afford more than one near 7 figure signing. Now that would indeed be news, wouldn''t it.

OTBC

[quote user="morty"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="morty"]Try and get it into your head that I am not being deliberately antagonistic, nor is there any "inner circle" conspiracy theory, but what do you base your theory on?[/quote]

If you had phrased your question without the arrogant and provocative preliminary cr*p I might  have answered it, smarty pants.

But still. One love.

[:)]

OTBC

Why are you being bullied?

[/quote]You really are a cock, you know that? I was giving you a chance to enter into informed debate with the grown ups.I won''t bother again.[/quote]

[quote user="canarygirl"][quote user="morty"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="morty"]Try and get it into your head that I am not being deliberately antagonistic, nor is there any "inner circle" conspiracy theory, but what do you base your theory on?[/quote]

If you had phrased your question without the arrogant and provocative preliminary cr*p I might  have answered it, smarty pants.

But still. One love.

[:)]

OTBC

Why are you being bullied?

[/quote]You really are a cock, you know that? I was giving you a chance to enter into informed debate with the grown ups.I won''t bother again.[/quote][/quote]

Sorry I mistakenly wrote that comment in the wrong place, now lets try again, why Bly are you being bullied? 

BBB... R u still harping on and on and on and on????? STILL????? Very boring now zzzzzzzzzzzz As mm has clearly stated we r getting chances we r NOT taking them simples. It''s there in black and White!!!

They say that if you give an infinite number of monkeys an infinite number of typewriters they will produce the works of Shakespeare

The above post seems to bear that out

[quote user="city-till-i-die"]BBB... R u still harping on and on and on and on????? STILL????? Very boring now zzzzzzzzzzzz As mm has clearly stated we r getting chances we r NOT taking them simples. It''s there in black and White!!![/quote]

Who or what is mm?

Well I didn''t say we were getting chances but not taking them. I was just comparing us to Cardiff saying that despite their million pound strikers our team was scoring at much the same rate as theirs.

Well I didn''t say we were getting chances but not taking them. I was just comparing us to Cardiff saying that despite their million pound strikers our team was scoring at much the same rate as theirs.

Very interesting to see the analysis, would Mr. Hoolahan be considered a striker I wonder, he has scored a few penalties hasn`t  he?

[/quote]

Very interesting to see the analysis, would Mr. Hoolahan be considered a striker I wonder, he has scored a few penalties hasn`t  he?

[/quote]

[quote user="canarygirl"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote][/quote]

I reckon he''s as much of a striker for us as Bellars is for them. He''s certainly a goalscorer!