Sign in to follow this  
Pabs

Korey Smith

I know it must be difficult for Lambert to pick his strongest starting XI at the moment, as there is so much competition, but I feel we have missed the energy and tenacity of Smith in recent games.

It is something like 6 games since he last started and he hasn''t even appeared in the last 4. I think he is a fantastic, young player and he is so economical with his use of the ball. Yes, he should score more goals but we don''t need every player as a scorer. He is a grafter, gets about the pitch and you get the sense he is really committed to NCFC.

As some others have posted, I think a solution could be a 5 man midfield, with Smith and Crofts at base and Hoolahan, Surman and Lansbury attacking. Of course, Fox is another option who has played well lately.

I think Lambert is doing a brilliant job and will be happy with who he plays, just like seeing one of our own young players develop and don''t want to see him left behind.

He is committed and he provides some bite in a midfield that is a little lightweight.

Having said that, he needs to develop the distribution side of his game. In close passing he is OK but he is not the best at crossing from wide. If we had managed to sign Bennett, I suspect that would have put Korey even further down the pecking order.

I think that what Korey supplies, Lansbury also supplies and more, so at the moment the Arsenal youngster is porbably keeping Korey out.

Korey is still young, and his game will develop by watching and playing with players like Lansbury. His time will surely come, and with experience and more muscle, he could become a very good player.

12 months ago I stated that I was surprised a Premier Club had not come in for him. He was always looking to play a forward attacking pass rather than play the easy square ball which often gains very little. He is also a tireless defender when needs be.

At the moment has to take a back seat because we are all "wild about Lansbury" who set up Holt for his goal against Ipswich. In my opinion overall there is little between them. At the moment it is a question of obtaining the best balance in midfield. I don''t think Lambert is sure but it is definitely not Drury and Russell Martin playing in front of three centre backs. Big mistake at Burnley.

sorry but you must be looking at Smith with some serious Green&Yellow tinted glasses to think theres not much between him and Lansbury, lansbury is a class above him and has already shown his extra bit of class. I agree he is not a good a tackler but a much better distributer of the ball with better vision. I also think Smith is behind fox in the pecking order. I do like Korey but he still needs couple more years to build up and mature. I honestly dont think he is too much of a step up from Adeyami, and he is out on loan at league 1.Korey will have his part still to play this season, but i do not think it will be major.

[quote user="priceyrice"]sorry but you must be looking at Smith with some serious Green&Yellow tinted glasses to think theres not much between him and Lansbury, lansbury is a class above him and has already shown his extra bit of class. I agree he is not a good a tackler but a much better distributer of the ball with better vision. I also think Smith is behind fox in the pecking order. I do like Korey but he still needs couple more years to build up and mature. I honestly dont think he is too much of a step up from Adeyami, and he is out on loan at league 1.
Korey will have his part still to play this season, but i do not think it will be major.
[/quote]

Agreed, he''s nowhere near as influential this season as he was last season.

He''ll run all day but his use of the ball has not been particularly great and he doesn''t really do anything to hurt teams. Although there will obviously be times when his tenacity will be required.

Korey is certainly a good player to have in the squad but I don''t think we''re looking at a lad who is destined by play in the Premier League week in, week out.

I think a spell out of the team will do Smith no harm at all. The guy has been playing pretty much non stop since Lambert took over and you sometimes forget Smith has only just turned 20. I don''t want to see him getting burnt out because I think he will continue to be a massive player for us. He definitely brings a physicality and bite to the midfield which can make us more solid. In my opinion to say there is little between him and Adeyemi at present is ridiculous. He is more experienced, more physically developed and has a greater level of consistency to his play (someone Adeyemi has conceded he needs to work on). Which is why Smith was an ever present last year while Adeyemi was a bit part player who whilst having good potential looked a little lost at times (Millwall at home and MK Dons away for instance).  

Lansbury and Korey are both midfielders and can play on the right or in the middle, but that''s pretty much where the similarities end I''d say. Lansbury plays behind the front two sometimes, but you''d never play Korey there - he''s more suited in front of the back four. Korey is more physical, relentless and more like Crofts (except faster and better in a wide position in terms of attack). Henri is a more ''cultured'' midfielder who looks for the killer pass and to get further forward, though he seems to have learnt to tackle more from being in the Championship according to people. I agree with the argument about Korey being young and being played non-stop - a break is good and he''s still there or thereabouts in the team. No need to panic.

I think Adeyemi needs the experience he''s getting with Bradford - he''s started every game from what I''ve seen and that can only be a good thing. Hopefully he comes back sharper and physically better off. I imagine he''d go on loan again if we managed to get promoted? I wonder what happens to Francomb too..

I agree 100% Pabs [Y]It amazes me how many more people have not seen that it is our lack of ball winners in midfield that has cost us far too many points already this season.I think if we have aspirations of the top two then it is critical that we get another midfielder in on loan who is strong in the tackle as soon as possible.Korey and Crofts are the only two midfielders we have who know how to tackle.  It was apparent in the first few games of the season for me and we have still done nothing to strengthen in this area.Korey and Crofts should start every game if fit for me at the moment, because without them we are surrendering our midfield for a large percentage of each and every match.

[quote user="Theres only one Martin Peters"]Korey is a much better tackler than Lansbury and that side of the midfield game is just as important as the attacking side. I think Lambert is wisely giving him a little rest at present and would expect to see him starting to make some appearances soon from the bench.[/quote]Very well said... [Y]I think many of the posters on here would play 11 strikers if they ever had to pick the team!It amazes me that Lambert (being a European Cup winning midfielder) has not realised the amount of points we have lost so far this season through having a midfield which offers too much offense and not enough defense.This is where we lost the game at Burnley last weekend for me.

I agree that we have missed his drive and energy, When he is fully charged up and on his game, he is brilliant. He did look jaded a bit earlier on in the season.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Theres only one Martin Peters"]Korey is a much better tackler than Lansbury and that side of the midfield game is just as important as the attacking side. I think Lambert is wisely giving him a little rest at present and would expect to see him starting to make some appearances soon from the bench.[/quote]Very well said... [Y]I think many of the posters on here would play 11 strikers if they ever had to pick the team!It amazes me that Lambert (being a European Cup winning midfielder) has not realised the amount of points we have lost so far this season through having a midfield which offers too much offense and not enough defense.This is where we lost the game at Burnley last weekend for me.[/quote]I agree with your point, Smudge, but it''s still great to see a Norwich team that''s weighted towards attack and believes it can win every match. For so many years we''ve been a team that just rolls over, away from home in particular, and I''d rather lose games through being too attacking than lose them through being too defensive (as has happened so much since 2004). Still, with the strikers largely off form at the moment, could be worth thinking about employing 4-5-1, with Wes playing free just behind Holty, Lansbury and Surman pushing forward, and Crofts and Korey holding in front of the back four.

Yet again Lambert got lucky with the final result today for me.Korey or another ball winning midfilder was badly needed to join Corofts for 70+ mins of todays game.What was the Wheeliebin substitution all about???At least I think that Lambo may have stumbled across potentially our best centre half partnership in the 2nd half today.  For me if they can both stay fit Ward and Whitbread are the best we have by a considerable way!Let''s hope that Lambo gets the right balance in midfield at Elland Road next week, because I think it will be needed if we ar e to come away with a positive result.Let''s not let today''s last minute winner paper over the cracks that were clearly evident yet again today!

[quote user="Smudger"]Yet again Lambert got lucky with the final result today for me.

Korey or another ball winning midfilder was badly needed to join Corofts for 70+ mins of todays game.

What was the Wheeliebin substitution all about???

At least I think that Lambo may have stumbled across potentially our best centre half partnership in the 2nd half today.  For me if they can both stay fit Ward and Whitbread are the best we have by a considerable way!

Let''s hope that Lambo gets the right balance in midfield at Elland Road next week, because I think it will be needed if we ar e to come away with a positive result.

Let''s not let today''s last minute winner paper over the cracks that were clearly evident yet again today!
[/quote]

We didn''t play overly well but I don''t think we got lucky. We had plenty of chances to win the match and we finally made one of them count. Doesn''t matter if the goal comes in the 1st minute or the 94th minute. The better side won, without doubt.

Don''t really know what Korey Smith would have done to improve things. He''d have run around a lot but football wise I can''t see how he''d improve on any of the other guys we had in midfield.

As for the defence, I think it''s almost boardering on laughable that you''d suggest our best defence wouldn''t include Leon Barnett. Deary me.

Thankfully Paul Lambert is our manager and not you.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Smudger"]Yet again Lambert got lucky with the final result today for me.Korey or another ball winning midfilder was badly needed to join Corofts for 70+ mins of todays game.What was the Wheeliebin substitution all about???At least I think that Lambo may have stumbled across potentially our best centre half partnership in the 2nd half today.  For me if they can both stay fit Ward and Whitbread are the best we have by a considerable way!Let''s hope that Lambo gets the right balance in midfield at Elland Road next week, because I think it will be needed if we ar e to come away with a positive result.Let''s not let today''s last minute winner paper over the cracks that were clearly evident yet again today![/quote]

We didn''t play overly well but I don''t think we got lucky. We had plenty of chances to win the match and we finally made one of them count. Doesn''t matter if the goal comes in the 1st minute or the 94th minute. The better side won, without doubt.

Don''t really know what Korey Smith would have done to improve things. He''d have run around a lot but football wise I can''t see how he''d improve on any of the other guys we had in midfield.

As for the defence, I think it''s almost boardering on laughable that you''d suggest our best defence wouldn''t include Leon Barnett. Deary me.

Thankfully Paul Lambert is our manager and not you.

[/quote]You obviously didn''t witness Barnett''s shocking performance at Burnley last week then and rate last minute challenges above controlled defending, organisation, plus a bit of footballing ability from your centre halves?You also obviously do not appreciate that we have been dropping plenty of uneccessary points this season, due to us only having one midfielder out of four who can win a tackle.  It is about balance in the side and we currently do not have it.  If we want promotion (automatic or through the play-offs) then these issues will need to be addressed over the next few weeks for me.I am also gald that you aren''t our manager, as you don''t seem to realise that a successful team needs grafters in it as well as players with skill.If Barnett is so much better than Ward and Whitbread then why have all three been let go by Premiership teams previously?  If Barnett was so much better than these two then surely he would still be playing Premiership football for West Brom?For me Barnett is stronger in the air and quicker than the other two, but he is less organised than both of them and is not as good a footballer as either Ward or Whitbread.I don''t think we have a problem at the back though, it is the lack of defensive midfielders which is placing too much pressure on our defenders against the better teams in this league at the moment.

I have to agree with this comment. I think Whitbread and Ward can be an excellent partnership. I would have probably stuck with Whitbread and Barnett but now he is inured, it doesn''t seem a bad replacement.

I think Whitbread and Ward are classy centre backs. I would like Ward at times to get stuck in more, but positionally they are excellent. Barnett reminds me of Kenton - he is great at getting blocks in, athleticism etc but often it is covering his bad positioning in the first place. He is a good signing, but as a defender if you are diving all over the place stopping shots etc it may be because you made a mistake in the first place.

I wish Barnett a swift recovery, but looking forward to seeing the two W''s together.

As for midfield, I like the 4-5-1 idea now Surman is back - although Fox''s performance today would make it tough for Lambert to bring Korey back in. Just feel we miss his ''bite''. Well, good to have these selection problems...

[quote user="Smudger"]
I am also gald that you aren''t our manager, as you don''t seem to realise that a successful team needs grafters in it as well as players with skill.
[/quote]

Many is the time I have spoken of the importance of having a team of players who work hard for each other.

Anyone can stick a tackle in though but not everyone can do something with the ball.

All 4 of the guys we started with in midfield are very hard working players. Henri Lansbury is an attacking player but he also works hard and gets stuck in - something that probably a lot of people miss because they see him as an attacker and don''t appreciate that he puts himself about.

And that goes for the other 3 who started in midfield yesterday - they are all very hard working. And more importantly they all bring something different to the team. They all offer us something a bit different. It gives us balance. It gives us options.

What would Korey Smith have brought us? He''d have run a lot, tackled a few people but not offered as much quality on the ball as any of the other lads in the midfield.

He doesn''t pass the ball as well as Fox, he doesn''t link the play as well as Wes and he doesn''t offer the same attacking threat as Lansbury.

I just don''t see how Korey would have improved anything yesterday.

I agree with Smudger about the midfield.  Yesterday Reading had a strong, hard tackling midfield and are midfield was pretty flimsy in that department.  Crofts is obviously a ''hard'' midfielder but Fox, Hoolahan, Lansbury and Surman are not.  There was a strong midfield battle going on in which we won but only just and it was crying out for Korey to come on to give that bit of extra midfield ''muscle''.

I personally would like to see Korey Smith start every game or at least as many as his young body allows him too.  He is obviously good at defending and tackling etc but I think he is a lot better with the ball at his feet than what he gets credit for.  He can''t play that final killer ball yet or put in a wonderful cross but he can play it forward into the feet of Holt or Martin and he can play it into the path of Hoolahan or Crofts or whoever.  Also he and Russel Martin have an excelent partnership together, one which hasn''t been replicated by any other midfielder we have tried out there.  This would be my midfield:

Crofts

K.Smith         Lansbury/Surman

Hoolahan

I know it is harsh to drop Fox (and I know Lambert won''t do it) as he has played remarkably well but I think this midfield would be far more competitive than the one we have now. 

Just for the record I don''t agree with Smudger about the defence.  Barnett is our best defender by a long way and from all the partnerships I have seen (I know we haven''t seen Ward and Whitbread yet) Barnett and Whitbread has been by far the best and most steady one even though it was only over a period of a few games.

I''m just not convinced with Ward at all.  For me he has looked shakey ever since the start of the season and he is a liability.  He blocks are great and he puts his body on the line but that is about it.  His heading in my opinion is poor and he just seems so indicisive when dealing with things.  He just never fills me with confidence as you never know what he is going to do and this must affect the rest of the defence and Ruddy.  He seems a bit like Doherty in the sense you either love him or hate him! 

[quote user="Boyo"]

I agree with Smudger about the midfield.  Yesterday Reading had a strong, hard tackling midfield and are midfield was pretty flimsy in that department.  Crofts is obviously a ''hard'' midfielder but Fox, Hoolahan, Lansbury and Surman are not.  There was a strong midfield battle going on in which we won but only just and it was crying out for Korey to come on to give that bit of extra midfield ''muscle''.

I personally would like to see Korey Smith start every game or at least as many as his young body allows him too.  He is obviously good at defending and tackling etc but I think he is a lot better with the ball at his feet than what he gets credit for.  He can''t play that final killer ball yet or put in a wonderful cross but he can play it forward into the feet of Holt or Martin and he can play it into the path of Hoolahan or Crofts or whoever.  Also he and Russel Martin have an excelent partnership together, one which hasn''t been replicated by any other midfielder we have tried out there.  This would be my midfield:

Crofts

K.Smith         Lansbury/Surman

Hoolahan

I know it is harsh to drop Fox (and I know Lambert won''t do it) as he has played remarkably well but I think this midfield would be far more competitive than the one we have now. 

[/quote]That would be exactly the same midfield I would play, especially against the better teams in this division where it is important that we do not allow them too much time on the ball during the first 60 or 70 mins of a match.  Give the better teams too much time on the ball in midfield and they will hurt you! [Y]I may try Lansbury instead of Wes at the tip of the diamond in some games.Against the better teams then I think we need Korey on for the pitch for at least the first hour.  I also think that we need to sign another ball winner on loan, as if Crofts or Korey are injured we have no quality alternatives in the squad to play their role in the team effectively.

[quote user="Largey"]Barnett is a cut above, how anyone can find ways to slate him is unbelievable.[/quote]Was anybody slating him?I think that we now have 3 very good centre halves at this level.  I am not convinced like many of you that Barnett is miles ahead of either Ward or Whitbread though!