Sign in to follow this  
Go Wash Your Mouth Out Son

Current Team vs 03/04 Promotion Team

How does our current team compare to the 03/04 promotion team ?

Green----------------Ruddy
?????----------------R. Martin
Fleming--------------Barnett
Malky---------------Whitbred
Drury----------------Drury
Hucks----------------Hoolahan
Holt-----------------Smith
????------------------Crofts
WLY-----------------Surman
Iwan------------------Holt
Svenson---------------Martin

Sorry if I haven''t got the team perfect but you understand what I mean.
In my opinion we had a stronger starting XI then but now we have more back up players.
Discuss.....

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

Green
R. Martin Fleming  Drury
Hoolahan Holt Crofts WLY
Iwan Martin

[/quote]

Ruddy (I do not rate Green since he left us)

R. Martin Barnett Malky (player we have missed for so long, and whom we replaced with Dohert.. DOH!) Drury

Fox Crofts Ga. Holt  Lappin

Iwan  Gr. Holt

[quote user="Go Wash Your Mouth Out Son"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

Green
R. Martin Fleming  Drury
Hoolahan Holt Crofts WLY
Iwan Martin

[/quote]

10 men ?[/quote]

Malky [:O]

You wouldn''t have Hoolahan or McVeigh?

And why isn''t Hucks there?

And Green then was much better than Ruddy is now, doesn''t matter what he''s done since then...Otherwise Malky, Gary Holt and Iwan can''t be in their because they don''t play (and didn''t really play after leaving us) any more...

My team:

Green

R.Martin, Malky, Fleming, Drury

K.Smith, Holt, Crofts, Huckerby

Holt, Iwan

[quote user="Go Wash Your Mouth Out Son"][quote user="Lewie - Holt Our Saviour"]                    GreenR.Martin  Barnett Malky  DruryLasnbury  Holt  Hoolahan  Hucks                Iwan Holt[/quote]Definately.[/quote]God dammit, I hate Lansburys name I always spell it wrong.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Green Martin Fleming Ward Drury Crofts Holt.Ga Francis Hoolahan Huckerby Holt.Gr odd fomation ,I know but trying to fit in the best players from both sides ![/quote]

actually you just wanted to fit hux in

''fit hux in''

You don''t fit Hux in, he was out best player now, if he was here now (not at his current age, but in his prime) he would be our best player.... Probably one of the best Norwich players ever......

You don''t ''fit'' Huckerby in...

are people confusing the promotion season with the playoff final season??....Roberts and McVeigh didn''t actually play that much when we won the league. And anyone that leaves Huckerby out (as someone has earlier in this thread for Lappin ?!)...clearly has forgotton how he almost single-handedly won us the league !!

There is another aspect as well.

That team didn''t have much mileage left in it. When we went up how many of those players were 30+?

Svensson, Malky, Fleming, Edworthy, Iwan. Was Gary Holt?

We had decent prospects in Green, Drury, Francis and MacKenzie but otherwise the main problem with that team was that it didn''t have a lot left in the tank and Worthington knew it.

Huckerby was the best player by a long shot and had he had stayed injury free I am pretty sure he would still be in and about the team now.

Funily enough, the way Bellamy has played for Cardiff has reminded me a bit of Hux in his last season. Plays left wing when he is fit. Used out there to try and get him more space to attack etc.

Banana are you stupid?

Do you not remember how many Goals Hucks scored and created?

Hoolahan gets man marked, runs around in circles and gives the ball away... Although he doesn''t do it as much now, thats all he did for his first year with us.... Huckerby never ''struggled'' He was the most fouled player in the premiership in our season up there, that fact alone gave us the opportunity to score from free-kicks.

Hoolahan may be a better ''technical'' footballer, but Huckerby certainly has done a LOT more (he almost single handedly won us promotion from the Championship, Hoolahan was part of a trio that won us promotion from a league lower), and was the best player we have had at the very least in the last 10 years...

(and I really rate Hoolahan, i think he is excellent, what he can do with the ball is amazing, but still hasn''t been as good as Hucks.... He could over take him, but will take a lot more than what he has already done)

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

i''d have hooly over hux all the time. Hux got man marked too often and then struggled.

Hooly just seems to be able to manage!

[/quote]

Isn''t the question of the thread comparing todays team with the promotion team. Forget what Huckerby did before or after that season......he was the best player in the whole league in 03/04.....don''t remember him ''struggling'' during that season ?????????

Banana is someone who chose C Martin over Holt in his fav starting 11, I wouldn''t read too much into it Hucks!

I always remembered Mulryne to be a decent midfielder, but I haven''t seen his name mentioned here. Perhaps I have misjudged him!