Sign in to follow this  
andyc24_uk

Goalkeepers

F*ck a duck, are you people seriously this shallow?Lambo is fielding a diamond formation that requires fullbacks to play an attacking role - both Martin and Drury are thus far doing a bloody good job of it, but it''s plain to see they''re not all that comfortable nor competent in said role - that''s because they are in fact ''traditional'' fullbacks, but owing to their having to continually advance up the pitch, the keeper as well as the centre-backs are obviously going to be exposed more often than not.And that, ladies & lads, is why we are conceding so many and scoring so few - one could stick a 29 year old Gordon Banks ''twixt the stix, we''d still leak goals.To continue our great start to the season with the playing staff available I''d suggest Lambo protects the defense with a formation that is also effective in attack -- the 4-2-1-3.

[quote user="Shyster"]F*ck a duck, are you people seriously this shallow?

Lambo is fielding a diamond formation that requires fullbacks to play an attacking role - both Martin and Drury are thus far doing a bloody good job of it, but it''s plain to see they''re not all that comfortable nor competent in said role - that''s because they are in fact ''traditional'' fullbacks, but owing to their having to continually advance up the pitch, the keeper as well as the centre-backs are obviously going to be exposed more often than not.

And that, ladies & lads, is why we are conceding so many and scoring so few - one could stick a 29 year old Gordon Banks ''twixt the stix, we''d still leak goals.

To continue our great start to the season with the playing staff available I''d suggest Lambo protects the defense with a formation that is also effective in attack -- the 4-2-1-3.
[/quote]

The diamond is effective when Crofts, Smith and Lappin achieve a high workrate which allows the fullbacks to push on. In the last 15 on Saturday and the first half on Tuesday they didn''t. When that happens the overload in midfield (Leicester played five there) means that if the opposition pass well they can control possession and exploit the space between our players (with Hoolahan doing little defensively in the first half on Tuesday that  meant it was effectively 3 v 5) . The keys on Tuesday after half time were that Wes did more tackling back and that the fullbacks pushed higher, but as Shyster rightly says , that makes us more vulnerable on the break. With the diamond against better sides I can see problems, particularly when you look at the damage that Waghorn inflicted.

Mello- sometimes I think your wasted on this forum.

Shyster- I agree a 4-2-3-1 could work. Maybe even with Fox and Crofts as the 2 but we would need to sign another winger, as I know you have been saying for a while. However at the moment the diamond is working when we play short and swift. The goals were not the formations fault, the formation did not make Ruddy spill the ball or make Ward dive in rashly for the 3rd.

I''ve been thinking about the goalkeeping situation a lot and can''t agree that Rudd has never done anything wrong I suggest these people watch the Tranmere game and Rudds enthusiasm to get the ball on a couple of thier goals. This is due to inexperience and excitment I would assume.

My thoughts go deeper into the club after James Holman was released, we have never really replaced him, the current Goalkeeping coach sorry don''t know his name does not inspire me at all. I get to the ground early on match days to watch the teams warm up and prepare for the game. Since this guy has taken over we seem to be doing the same routine as previous but does he know why? Surely he should have his own routine?

Ruddy has made a couple of similar errors Vs Everton and now Leicester, is this down to technique? if so what''s being done about it. When Joe Lewis went out on loan he got injured twice,both time head injuries. This was recognised and his technique was assesed - is this being done with Ruddy/

The question I would ask is how good and how qualified is our Goalkeeper coach, and could this be the reason for the slips?

One thing that might be worth mentioning is that when talking about players at the NCISA AGM, McNally made it clear that, while they had hoped to get Forster back on loan, there was only one person on Lambert''s list if they were going to sign a keeper, and that was Ruddy.

I appreciate that that doesn''t affect the underlying argument, but I think it''s significant that Lambert felt so strongly about him.

I also agree with TGD''s point that there may be a technique issue. Fraser was also accused of being susceptible to low shots a few times last season, and it''s obviously a problem for big keepersIn Ruddy''s case on Tuesday he went down on one knee to try to gather the ball, it went through his hands and hit his trailing leg which diverted it into the net. In retrospect, if he''d got his whole body behind it, it might have rebounded to a Leicester player but it wouldn''t have rolled straight in. The goalkeeping coach''s name is Lawrence Batty, by the way.

Is Rudd good enough or ready to be number one? If he is then signing Ruddy is a bit of a strange one. If Rudd was good enough then surely signing an experienced goalkeeper was the way forward? When Rob Green took over from the judas one Worthy brought in Crighton for his experience. I think Green was maybe a year older than Declan Rudd though. But the fact remains if Lambert thought Rudd was up to being number one this year I doubt he would have signed Ruddy.

This is basically what I posted the other day. Of course Lambert could be wrong but he is in the right place to know. Whenever we criticised previous managers for not playing our own youth subsequent events usually backed up the managers views.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Is Rudd good enough or ready to be number one? If he is then signing Ruddy is a bit of a strange one. If Rudd was good enough then surely signing an experienced goalkeeper was the way forward? When Rob Green took over from the judas one Worthy brought in Crighton for his experience. I think Green was maybe a year older than Declan Rudd though. But the fact remains if Lambert thought Rudd was up to being number one this year I doubt he would have signed Ruddy.

This is basically what I posted the other day. Of course Lambert could be wrong but he is in the right place to know. Whenever we criticised previous managers for not playing our own youth subsequent events usually backed up the managers views.

[/quote]

Nutty, I was fortunate to manage a keeper who became one of the best in the county over the last decade. When he made his debut at 17 you could see he was going to be tremendous, but he would make mistakes which would then knock his confidence and he was 20 or 21 before he became a fixture, but I think that he would agree that it was in his best long term interests.

I think that Ruddy''s confidence may suffer, and if so he needs to be taken out of the firing line, but if he seems ok then he needs to be backed. Rudd''s time will come, but there''s a reason that you very rarely find teenagers as first choice keepers in the higher divisions

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Nutty, I was fortunate to manage a keeper who became one of the best in the county over the last decade. When he made his debut at 17 you could see he was going to be tremendous, but he would make mistakes which would then knock his confidence and he was 20 or 21 before he became a fixture, but I think that he would agree that it was in his best long term interests.

I think that Ruddy''s confidence may suffer, and if so he needs to be taken out of the firing line, but if he seems ok then he needs to be backed. Rudd''s time will come, but there''s a reason that you very rarely find teenagers as first choice keepers in the higher divisions

[/quote]

I don''t see Ruddy''s confidence getting knocked. But of course it could be. I used to notice Rob Green''s confidence knocked or so it appeared to me.

I totally agree with your point about teenage keepers. I think even Rob Green was 21 before he was number one but even that is young. All goalkeepers make saves but there''s more to the art of goalkeeping and it''s not those spectatcular saves that are the true mark of a good ''keeper. Experience becomes more important the further back in defence you go. A strong 15/16 year old forward can make a mark in the top leagues because they have the element of surprise in their play. However defenders and especially goalkeepers have to be more disciplined and experienced.

The real problem here is that the crowd made FF a favourite (albeit in a lower division) and in Rudd there is a good GK in the makingRuddy comes in having to lay the ghost of FF and have the fantasy of a 19 year old being good enough and experienced enough for a full league season.Ruddy didnt have the benefit of the previous incumbent letting in 7 in a game so immediately started with a positive rating.Norwich have a fine tradition in GK''s and whilst I am not saying Ruddy will join the elite because that judgement is too early at least lets get a good run of games under his belt and then judge the overall performance not the individual incidents

[quote user="andyc24_uk"]my sense is he''s made a mistake in signing Ruddy and he''s currently trying to justify it by giving him chances that his form doesn''t merit. ...[/quote]

Agree, it''s the same thing that happens at arsenal, with wenger that insists on almunia although everybody sees how he''s crap.

i think Ruddy is a decent keeper.. 1 mistake wont ruin him.. David Marshall used to make a mistake a game and was one of the major reasons we went down.. Ruddy is a class apart from him.

Yes, Shyster. Absolutely right. Rudd was horribly exposed by Drury''s error in the first minute: no one is having a go at Adam (rightly so in my view). But every formation has its strengths and weaknesses, and I would remind you that we have scored more than we have conceded, and Lambert''s commitment to winning games rather than playing for draws is what sees us third.

But I''d agree that 4-2-3-1 is the most viable alternative to the diamond. With our personnel, 4-4-2 is a non-starter.

On the subject of Ruddy, I''m on the fence. At the moment I''m far from convinced by him. The shot he dropped to concede the corner that led to Leicester''s third goal was as worrying as the shot he let squirm in.

But, those who''ve said that keepers need time to settle in are absolutely right. This is the biggest club he''s played for, and he''s under pressure. We need to get behind him and hope he grows in confidence.

Having said that, I do think it''s fair to howl if he doesn''t look to throw the ball out quickly. Yes, it''s not always possible, but the long hoof downfield rarely works for us - we always look better with the ball on the floor. And sometimes on Tuesday he didn''t even look as though he was looking for that quick option. Partly that''s because players aren''t making themselves available, in which case the howls are directed at them.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"][quote user="king canary"]Mello- sometimes I think your wasted on this forum. [/quote] That would certainly explain a lot of things.[/quote]

Is the ''Lim'' an abbreviation for limited?

Y''know....like in most things?

So we drop Ruddy, and Rudd comes in and chucks one in during his next match, then what? Steer or another keeper on loan? If we were losing games then you need to look at changing lineups etc but we are 3rd, 3rd for chrissake yet still were looking for scapegoats...Ruddy not good enough and ''the jury''s still out on Ward'', C Martin lazy, Holt not fit, R Martin not good enough Jesus wept, it''s amazing were not bottom with these bunch of cloggers

[quote user="still holding out for new heroes"]So we drop Ruddy, and Rudd comes in and chucks one in during his next match, then what? Steer or another keeper on loan? If we were losing games then you need to look at changing lineups etc but we are 3rd, 3rd for chrissake yet still were looking for scapegoats...Ruddy not good enough and ''the jury''s still out on Ward'', C Martin lazy, Holt not fit, R Martin not good enough Jesus wept, it''s amazing were not bottom with these bunch of cloggers[/quote]

He, he, you''re quitevright, nice touch, mate!