Sign in to follow this  
Tore Raaen

Canaries seem to be better on away days

Any thoughts on this?

Every away game this season has been a fantastic display (except Doncaster) with great play and scorelines.

They seem confident on the ball and tbh the away wins have all been comfortable.

At Carrow Road it seems much different with the opposit team having more possession and the two wins we have had don''t seem that comfortable at all.

Anyone agree? And why is this? Is it too much pressure? Is it easier to play away when you don''t have that big crowd on your back? It seems weird though.

Tore from Norway.

We''ve won 3 games at home but I see where you''re coming from, to have won 3 games away by this stage of the season is excellent. I think the formation we play and the players we have are suited to playing on the counter and it''s no coincidence that the only time we abandoned the diamond we came unstuck at Doncaster.

Tore from Norway, where were you in league 1?

Don''t get me wrong I''m all for foreign influence in our support, but last season it simply didn''t happen.

All of a sudden now we''re 3rd in the championship people are starting to come out of the woodwork

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Tore from Norway, where were you in league 1? Don''t get me wrong I''m all for foreign influence in our support, but last season it simply didn''t happen. All of a sudden now we''re 3rd in the championship people are starting to come out of the woodwork[/quote]

I should have said that..This post was meant for this season only.

Last season was incredible. I listened to EVERY match on BBC Radio Norfolk so I know what I''m talking about (though I haven''t seen them just "heard em) :)

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "] foreign influence in our support...last season it simply didn''t happen. All of a sudden now we''re 3rd in the championship people are starting to come out of the woodwork[/quote]

You must be taking the Peas; is it not natural to be more excited, the better your team''s doing... and likewise won''t personal levels of demonstrating support naturally ratchet up a notch, to match one''s excitement levels? Whether that''s buying more souvenir stuff in the club shop as well as going to every home game, or simply harmlessly posting on an internet forum as well as reading it. All football fans get recharged by a bit of a nice positive streak every so often, even if it''s only a paint pot cup run or your team playing a famous club from your region twice in one season when you''re Colchester, for example.

I first started contributing my turgid cr@p on here in our Premotion season and my posts dipped to zero thereafter (to the joy of the Pink Un readership) until our ''glorious'' 3rd division season, but by contrast my seasonal level of match attendance hasn''t wavered over the past decade of exile and I don''t feel less of a loyal fan for not joining in with the Roeder-Gunn-board vitriol / support that was understandably on here before that.

So nothing to do with nationality necessarily, although the team will admittedly get more TV and newspaper coverage abroad when approaching the Premiership, so it''s easier to get more ''involved'' - but that affects Brits living abroad too (as I''ve known first hand).  

OK I agree with your point in principle - many ''easy come, easy go'' foreign ''fanatics'' - as well as many living half a mile from Carra - will have been following e.g. Arsenal''s results from a distance instead of ours these past few seasons! That''s bl8dy annoying and yes such poor fools should be shot down in flames, but that''s not going to be true in the case of a Scandinavian who by his own admission has been a (distant) City follower since childhood, and only now happens to be at a stage in his life when he''s been able to plan to visit to Norwich to see a game next year, and to conclude with all due respect I think in this case yours is a churlish and unworthy allegation.

I seem to have misunderstood what the replay was all about.

Anyways,

I can''t speak of any other than myself, but I can say it''s not easy to follow a team that never is never spoken of in Norway. But I''ve done it the best I can for almost 20 years and more to come.Listening to BBC radio Norfolk has been like a weekend tradition, and hearing matches live is something I''ve done for years and years.

Tore

I think that the way we line up is perhaps more suited to playing away but i also think its to do with the way other teams approach the game as well. because they are at home I think opposition teams tend not to change the way they play or make any special adjustments to play against us. This means that Wes tends to get more space and gets on the ball a lot more. As we know, when that happens he makes us tick and we tend to play well. The extra pace of Jackson may even make us more dangerous away now.Conversely though when teams come to Carrow Road they often sit deep, pack the midfield and and man mark Wes. This means we do not find it as easy to break them down.

[quote user="GenerationA47"]

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "] foreign influence in our support...last season it simply didn''t happen. All of a sudden now we''re 3rd in the championship people are starting to come out of the woodwork[/quote]

You must be taking the Peas; is it not natural to be more excited, the better your team''s doing... and likewise won''t personal levels of demonstrating support naturally ratchet up a notch, to match one''s excitement levels? Whether that''s buying more souvenir stuff in the club shop as well as going to every home game, or simply harmlessly posting on an internet forum as well as reading it. All football fans get recharged by a bit of a nice positive streak every so often, even if it''s only a paint pot cup run or your team playing a famous club from your region twice in one season when you''re Colchester, for example.

I first started contributing my turgid cr@p on here in our Premotion season and my posts dipped to zero thereafter (to the joy of the Pink Un readership) until our ''glorious'' 3rd division season, but by contrast my seasonal level of match attendance hasn''t wavered over the past decade of exile and I don''t feel less of a loyal fan for not joining in with the Roeder-Gunn-board vitriol / support that was understandably on here before that.

So nothing to do with nationality necessarily, although the team will admittedly get more TV and newspaper coverage abroad when approaching the Premiership, so it''s easier to get more ''involved'' - but that affects Brits living abroad too (as I''ve known first hand).  

OK I agree with your point in principle - many ''easy come, easy go'' foreign ''fanatics'' - as well as many living half a mile from Carra - will have been following e.g. Arsenal''s results from a distance instead of ours these past few seasons! That''s bl8dy annoying and yes such poor fools should be shot down in flames, but that''s not going to be true in the case of a Scandinavian who by his own admission has been a (distant) City follower since childhood, and only now happens to be at a stage in his life when he''s been able to plan to visit to Norwich to see a game next year, and to conclude with all due respect I think in this case yours is a churlish and unworthy allegation.

[/quote]

Yup, on my way over i march to see Norwich-Preston...Finally! I have seen Norwich on two occations (vs Wimbledon away in 2003, and Leicester away in 2005) but can''t quite compare with the fine city i hope :)

I agree Tore - we''ve lost 2 of 3 at home. Shades of Walker''s team of the

early nineties when we played with a sweeper at the back who not only

provided extra defensive steel but who was able to orchestrate swift

counter attacks. We were the best away side in the country for a while

then. I think it''s no coincedence that one of the defenders from that

team of the nineties is now coaching and we again have a player who has a

similar role at the base of the diamond in Crofts. I think they thought

Fox would be a good option there because of his ability to direct play

but unfortunately i don''t think he gets the space and time he needs. In

the speed and rough and tumble f the Championship the role seems better

suited to an enforcer type like Crofts. Either way it''s making us

very effective away from home. The one game away from home that we have

lost we tried 4-4-2 which Cully has admitted was a mistake.

This isn''t a criticism of anyone but quite often Teams play better away from because there is less pressure/expectation/negativity coming from the stands.

i can see my previous post might of seemed a little harsh.

A genuine question which has recieved a genuine answer - something of a rariety on this forum!

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Tore from Norway, where were you in league 1?

Don''t get me wrong I''m all for foreign influence in our support, but last season it simply didn''t happen.

All of a sudden now we''re 3rd in the championship people are starting to come out of the woodwork[/quote]What an absolute "see you next tuesday"

I think we are more effective away from home because Lambert sends a team out to win every game. Other managers put more value on a point away from home. I also think Wes has more space to weave his magic away from home. It could become more difficult if the opposition begin to view a home point against Norwich as a good result.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Tore from Norway, where were you in league 1? Don''t get me wrong I''m all for foreign influence in our support, but last season it simply didn''t happen. All of a sudden now we''re 3rd in the championship people are starting to come out of the woodwork[/quote]

I see the glory hunting 4000 or so from last year did not show after promotion. Presumably they will be back now we are doing well in the Championship.

We do and always have had a good following from Norway, obviously you do not attend enough games to see them on the pitch once a year in the annual worldwide supporters day. Pick on the glory hunters who will all be back soon rather than some of our most loyal supporters.  

I should imagine he was in the same place as he is now, LOL. To take your post literally would make the highlighted part above seem a little strange as he registered on this forum 3.5 years before you...

So because someone registered on a forum before someone else that makes them a more loyal supporter does it?

Your logic makes no sense whatsoever...

No chance of teams seeing a home point against Norwich as a point gained Nutty!! Well, not until and if we were clear at the top in February! No-one took us as serious title contenders in our 2004 promo season until then.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]So because someone registered on a forum before someone else that makes them a more loyal supporter does it? Your logic makes no sense whatsoever...[/quote]

No, it was in referance to the insinuation you made that as Norwich are playing well he has ''crawled out of the woodwork''. Don''t start that debate. I only registered this year and I am a much bigger fan that you, anyway. hehehe

Haha i love it

My personal opinion is every fan is equal as we all want the same thing....however ''johnny-come-late'' they happen to be!!!

[quote user="Jason Shackells limp Tackle"]

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Haha i love it My personal opinion is every fan is equal as we all want the same thing....however ''johnny-come-late'' they happen to be!!![/quote]

You calling me a Johnny Come Lately?

[/quote]

......the new kid in town,
everybody loves you, so don’t let them down.[8]

The Eagles for all you younsters!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Jason Shackells limp Tackle"]

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Haha i love it My personal opinion is every fan is equal as we all want the same thing....however ''johnny-come-late'' they happen to be!!![/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Are you going to get me some prices on some random South American teams for the PUP''s this week? Think I should join the fun...

The guy who starts the thread asks a genuine innocent question wanting some feedback from those of us who can see the games week in week out, as their isn''t too much reaction on Radio Norfolk.

I think I''ve heard this guy at least twice on Radio Norfolk? One that actually talks some sense, just because he can''t make the games doesn''t make him a loyal fan, I know when I can''t get to games I rarely listen to them, but seeing 20+ games a season, I''d call myself a reasonably loyal fan. There are different kind of fans, but someone who listens week in week out is better than most of us on here.

No need to rip him for an innocent question, we should be encouraging more support, not belittling it and saying ''I''m a bigger fan than you, so you can''t support Norwich''. We want a full stadium week in week out, whether they really care about Norwich or not, the more money we have, the more Lambo can spend on gems.

I don''t think anyone is saying that VML, in fact on a personal level I actually welcome fans from abroad.

But i felt the question had to be asked as to where these fans were in the depths of League One.

[quote user="Jason Shackells limp Tackle"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Jason Shackells limp Tackle"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Are you going to get me some prices on some random South American teams for the PUP''s this week? Think I should join the fun...

[/quote]

The more the merrier, I PM''d you the info..

Whatever you pick I need to be able to find a price online if it''s to be considered for the final selections.

I think this has a lot to do with Hoolahan, at home, teams sit deeper and pack the midfield, so he has less space to work in, and his performances suffer. Away from home, teams are more attacking minded, leaving space for him to exploit. It''s no coincidence most of his best performances have been away from home. So we''re better away because our best player is better away.