Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

Should McNamee start on Tuesday night?

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Shyster"]Seven, as many as that!Weren''t some of those starts inconsequential friendly''s?[/quote]He had a run of games from just before Easter, he just doesn''t seem to be so much of a threat starting a game but most importantly the balance of the side just isn''t right if Hoolahan is starting as well. Lambert knows this because when he has brought McNamee on of late he''s pushed Hoolahan up behind Holty and moved Martin out wide.[/quote]

I agree, which is why we''ve needed another pacy wide man in order to bench Hoolahan when needs must for some considerable time now.

[quote user="Shyster"]

I agree, which is why we''ve needed another pacy wide man in order to bench Hoolahan when needs must for some considerable time now.[/quote]But the balance still wouldn''t be right, 2 out & out widemen leaves us very vulnerable and over run in the midfield area. No point having so many flair and attacking players if we don''t have the ball because we don''t have the players to win the ball back.

[quote user="paul moy"]Surman is out for two months so it looks like McNamee will start !![/quote]i think its a no brainer really. A friend of mine whos a donny fan, reckons this could be the hardest game they will play at home this season. It seems like a good 3 points for us.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]Apparently he suffers asthma. This sadly limits his time on the pitch.[/quote]

That a joke?? Because David Beckham has asthma and it''s not affected his career.

Hmm, I''d rather keep using him as an impact player against tired legs. Not saying he shouldn''t be given his chance to start, but each time he has started he has been poor. [:(]

[quote user="Brendo "]Hmm, I''d rather keep using him as an impact player against tired legs. Not saying he shouldn''t be given his chance to start, but each time he has started he has been poor. [:(][/quote]Actually that''s not true. He was good against Bristol away last year, and I am sure other times he has been decent.

[quote user="Lambo"]

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]Apparently he suffers asthma. This sadly limits his time on the pitch.[/quote]

That a joke?? Because David Beckham has asthma and it''s not affected his career.

[/quote]And Paul Scholes..

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="Lambo"]

[/quote]

And Paul Scholes..
[/quote]Although I highly doubt this is true, it''s ridiculous to say Becks and Scholes have it too. People can have very serious asthma, and others can not be affected by it so much, but still have it.

The reason I doubt it, is he was heavily involved in Watford''s promotion in 2005 or 06, and therefore I am guessing he played a fair few times 90 mins. However there is nothing to suggest his asthma could have deteriorated (sp) and now suffers it badly?

Still, very unlikely.

I think he has to be knocking on the door to start soon. The last two games he has come on against Swansea and Barnsley he has been excellent. The side lacks pace so he is the one player who can turn defenders and get them facing their own goal. This causes mistakes like we have seen. I personally don''t think Wes has been that effective of late in comparison. So what kind of message does it send out if Macca isnt given a chance soon? How do you get him in the side. I guess you play a 4-4-2 in which either Martin (with Jackson up front) or Lappin is played from the left.

But I can see the arguments for keeping the side the same. Everyone knows their role and it is a proven formation which does make us very solid away from home. Plus Lambert clearly likes the idea of having a backup plan allowing him to go for broke late on in the game.

McNamee can only impact the game providing we are still in it! Bringing him off the bench is no good if we are already 2 or 3 goals down so I would like to see him start.

I''m not keen on playing Martin on the left but from what I''ve seen he does a pretty good job. The prospect of Martin cutting in from the left and McNamee from the right is sure to worry goalkeepers as well. Rooney took on that role throughout some of the 2007/2008 and 2008/2009 campaign as well and was pretty effective.

I seem to remember that he was not playing regularly for Swindon, who were not too unhappy to sell him to us. There is a shortage of wingers generally, which may be due to 4-4-3 and the need for wing-backs, but it seems that no big clubs were sniffing wround.

There were suggestions that he was lazy, but perhaps all this means is that it is very difficult to maintain the all-action running and crossing display for the full 90 minutes.

Perhaps the options are start with him, and bring on a substitute if his energy and pace fall, or to make him an impact substitute who

terrorises late in the game when defenders are tiring. I favour the second option where he has already shown how he can impact and where his lack of defensive ability is less important.

So, unless other things require it, I would hesitate to start with Mac.

Can I point out that McNamee started against Southend, Stockport and Bristol Rovers and played a key part in all of them so I would argue he could have an impact from the start. And to be fair how much more does he need to do for a start?

Personally I would start with this line-up:

Ruddy

R Martin   Ward   Barnett   Drury

Smith   Crofts

McNamee      Hoolahan      C Martin/Jackson

Holt

C Martin has always done very well cutting in from the left hand side. The formation above is one I would like to see, but the onus would be on Holt to be much more disciplined than he is now, as he spends so much of his time going out wide - he''d need to stay central.

I can thoroughly understand the want to keep the diamond but I really do feel that Hoolahan deserves to be dropped and McNamee brought in.  We play the diamond for one reason which is Hoolahan.  If he is not playing well then why should we use the diamond and why should we be scared to go 4-4-2?  We have the players to do it.

It is true about the asthma thing, apparantly he has it quite severely and when he was at Watford very rarely made it past 60 mins when starting.

Despite this, I think he is a good player - excellent crosser of the ball and fast, direct. But tomorrow I would start Lappin as away from home then bring McNamee on later if we are losing or drawing to really take the game to Doncaster.

Should be a cracker between two good footballing teams tomorrow night. I am going for 2-2, which I would definitely be happy with!

Not sure we should be starting with McNamee and Hoolihan away from home, especially against a team like Doncaster who are quite big. Lappin will provide more strength in midfield, and hopefully Hoolihan will be as creative as ever. Should we need a boost, we can call on McNamee. I think playing at home is different as teams are naturally going to play more defensive against us and therefore we can afford to go out and attack them with wingers and smaller skilful players.

[quote user="city till i die"]he starts - risky[/quote]

Im happy for the lad. Just wouldnt have been fair to keep him on the bench after Saturdays awesome display.

He should cause problems against a sluggish Doncaster back four.

[quote user="city till i die"]4 2 3 1

korey crofts

martin wes mcnammee

holt[/quote]Would be nice: http://tinyurl.com/38oaxt4Macca on the left side of a diamond is risky, particularly away from home, as he doesn''t offer the defensive protection that Lappin does. A 4-2-3-1 like you''ve mentioned is an attractive plan B, fits peoples positions and best roles, isn''t a predictable 4-4-2 that we can''t really fit around... it''d be interesting.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

Im happy for the lad. Just wouldnt have been fair to keep him on the bench after Saturdays awesome display.

[/quote]

The "lad" is pushing 27 although he looks about 15 and if you think he was "awesome" on saturday i want a pint of whatever you were drinking please.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

[/quote]

The "lad" is pushing 27 although he looks about 15 and if you think he was "awesome" on saturday i want a pint of whatever you were drinking please.

[/quote]

Hes a lad in my eyes at 26.  And yes i think any player that comes on and turns a defeat into a victory is pretty awesome in my eyes. And a pint of "shut up" is heading your way [;)]