Sign in to follow this  
Heresyourfathersgun

How long before we get an offer for Chris Martin?

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]Super player. As others have said he is a deadly finisher and if you stick him in front of the goals like yesterday he will invariably put the ball away. He is also very clever at finding space and is excellent techincally. An illustration of this are those free kicks. He is the first player we''ve had since Ian Crook who makes me geniunely excited and expectant when we get a free kick near goal. Before anyone says Phil Mulryne that is a myth. He got one against Grimsby and never looked like doing it again.[/quote]

We now have a selection of potential free-kick takers at the club; Chris Martin, Fox and Surman can all strike a decent dead-ball. Crofts, Hoolahan & Holt can too. Our cup runneth over with talent!

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]Super player. As others have said he is a deadly finisher and if you stick him in front of the goals like yesterday he will invariably put the ball away. He is also very clever at finding space and is excellent techincally. An illustration of this are those free kicks. He is the first player we''ve had since Ian Crook who makes me geniunely excited and expectant when we get a free kick near goal. Before anyone says Phil Mulryne that is a myth. He got one against Grimsby and never looked like doing it again.[/quote]

We now have a selection of potential free-kick takers at the club; Chris Martin, Fox and Surman can all strike a decent dead-ball. Crofts, Hoolahan & Holt can too. Our cup runneth over with talent!

[/quote]Don''t forget young Macnamee, he struck quite a potent freekick against the gills.

[quote user="CT"][quote user="Canary1902"]I find it really sad that people automatically assume that because we have a good player we''re going to lose them.

I''m not knocking you for creating this post, I just mean its disappointing that our image is now getting good players and just selling them off for other clubs to benefit.

Few Examples:

Rob Green

Dean Ashton

Rob Earnshaw

Lee Croft

Makes me angry![/quote]I for one was glad when we got rid of him! Useless fat headless chicken who couldnt cross a ball.[/quote]I didn''t think we sold him anyway, I thought his contract expired and he ran off to Derby to get fat and sit on the bench.And surprise surprise, he''s found his level:http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/Croft-join-Terriers-loan/article-2360970-detail/article.html

Which bit are you struggling with? Desperately sorry to cause you confusion old chap, point out which element is not relevant to the price of chips in your opinion?

The part where I addressed the fact I don''t think he cares much that we''re his local club (I hope I''m proved wrong), where I gave my opinion that he''s a real talent or that I feel we need to be high up the league to resist bids for him (which alludes to being in with a chance of promotion), or maybe the point that Nelson is so poor that we''ve little chance of being in that aforementioned high position if Lambo keeps starting him.

Let everyone know, I''m sure someone will be happy to then explain in detail so your ignorance is overcome. Your misplaced insult is forgiven.

[quote user="Canary1902"]I find it really sad that people automatically assume that because we have a good player we''re going to lose them. I''m not knocking you for creating this post, I just mean its disappointing that our image is now getting good players and just selling them off for other clubs to benefit. Few Examples: Rob Green Dean Ashton Rob Earnshaw Lee Croft Makes me angry![/quote]

It''s not a new thing Canary1902.

Chris Sutton, Darren Eadie, Craig Bellamy. We''ve been doing it for years. We unfortunately have all too often sat in that area where are best players are good enough for an array of teams so we struggle to hold onto them. If we''d maintained the heady heights of the 90''s then this wouldn''t have been such an issue over the years but rest assured, it''s not a new situation for us.

With regards to Martin, he is a great talent and probably the best natural finisher we''ve had since Bellers. We have him for at least this season. The prices that people are throwing about are quite astonishing really. If he gets 20 odd goals in this league then I think he could be worth around 1.5m. He needs at least three season of 15-25 goals a season in the Championship and maybe one in the Prem to be worth around the 4m mark.

I think that he appreciates what the club is doing for him and his career but if he can prove himself at this level with us, he will want to push on and challenge himself at a higher level. I think he will easily be good enough a few years down the road.

[quote user="Canary1902"]I find it really sad that people automatically assume that because we have a good player we''re going to lose them. I''m not knocking you for creating this post, I just mean its disappointing that our image is now getting good players and just selling them off for other clubs to benefit. Few Examples: Rob Green Dean Ashton Rob Earnshaw Lee Croft Makes me angry![/quote]

It''s not a new thing Canary1902.

Chris Sutton, Darren Eadie, Craig Bellamy. We''ve been doing it for years. We unfortunately have all too often sat in that area where are best players are good enough for an array of teams so we struggle to hold onto them. If we''d maintained the heady heights of the 90''s then this wouldn''t have been such an issue over the years but rest assured, it''s not a new situation for us.

With regards to Martin, he is a great talent and probably the best natural finisher we''ve had since Bellers. We have him for at least this season. The prices that people are throwing about are quite astonishing really. If he gets 20 odd goals in this league then I think he could be worth around 1.5m. He needs at least three season of 15-25 goals a season in the Championship and maybe one in the Prem to be worth around the 4m mark.

I think that he appreciates what the club is doing for him and his career but if he can prove himself at this level with us, he will want to push on and challenge himself at a higher level. I think he will easily be good enough a few years down the road.

Chris Martin is not even a proven Championship player and people putting a £3-4 million price tag on his head are living in cloud cuckoo land , by the end of the season he will struggle to even get into Citys line up as i feel Holt - Jackson is going to be Lamberts prefered partnership .

[quote user="Wxyz"]Chris Martin is not even a proven Championship player and people putting a £3-4 million price tag on his head are living in cloud cuckoo land , by the end of the season he will struggle to even get into Citys line up as i feel Holt - Jackson is going to be Lamberts prefered partnership .[/quote]I''m not saying you''re wrong, but interested to know which of Jackson''s performances have suggested that happening so far?

Bleedin`eck, have some people still not realised that clubs will pay a big premium for potential- ie. young players who already look good but who have plenty of years in front of them to improve?  Why do people think Wickham is supposedly worth £9m?  Why did Ashley Youngs move for £9m having only played a few dozen first-team games?  Martin is 21 and if he has a really good season and shows marked improvement on his excellent last season at a lower level, big bids will come in for him.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Bleedin`eck, have some people still not realised that clubs will pay a big premium for potential- ie. young players who already look good but who have plenty of years in front of them to improve?  Why do people think Wickham is supposedly worth £9m?  Why did Ashley Youngs move for £9m having only played a few dozen first-team games?  Martin is 21 and if he has a really good season and shows marked improvement on his excellent last season at a lower level, big bids will come in for him.[/quote]

Young played 41 out of 46 games in his last season at Watford and scored 15 times.  He played almost 100 games for them in total. 

[quote user="Wxyz"]Chris Martin is not even a proven Championship player and people putting a £3-4 million price tag on his head are living in cloud cuckoo land , by the end of the season he will struggle to even get into Citys line up as i feel Holt - Jackson is going to be Lamberts prefered partnership .[/quote]Chris Martin was very good in the Championship when he broke through under Peter Grant, he''s a better player now than he was then and I think he will remain Lambert''s first choice as he''s our best all-round forward player. 

[quote user="Wxyz"]Chris Martin is not even a proven Championship player and people putting a £3-4 million price tag on his head are living in cloud cuckoo land , by the end of the season he will struggle to even get into Citys line up as i feel Holt - Jackson is going to be Lamberts prefered partnership .[/quote]Holt won''t cut it this higher level....Too fat....too slow and too predictable.

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="Wxyz"]Chris Martin is not even a proven Championship player and people putting a £3-4 million price tag on his head are living in cloud cuckoo land , by the end of the season he will struggle to even get into Citys line up as i feel Holt - Jackson is going to be Lamberts prefered partnership .
[/quote]

Holt won''t cut it this higher level....

Too fat....too slow and too predictable.
[/quote]

How would you know? you dont even go to games

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="Wxyz"]Chris Martin is not even a proven Championship player and people putting a £3-4 million price tag on his head are living in cloud cuckoo land , by the end of the season he will struggle to even get into Citys line up as i feel Holt - Jackson is going to be Lamberts prefered partnership .[/quote]Holt won''t cut it this higher level....Too fat....too slow and too predictable.[/quote]None of that ever stopped Frank Lampard.

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="Wxyz"]Chris Martin is not even a proven Championship player and people putting a £3-4 million price tag on his head are living in cloud cuckoo land , by the end of the season he will struggle to even get into Citys line up as i feel Holt - Jackson is going to be Lamberts prefered partnership .
[/quote]

Holt won''t cut it this higher level....

Too fat....too slow and too predictable.
[/quote]

Almost as predictable as your posts.

I agree that Martin still has a lot to prove, but I''m very surprised to see you slate his performance against Watford, Mr Carrow. Given that he was playing what was basically Holt''s role, the big man up front, I was really impressed with him. He looks to have put on a bit of muscle and I thought his workrate was excellent. Add that to his awareness and his finishing ability and I think he''ll be a real success this season, but I would also predict that he lacks the pace necessary to make an impact beyond the Championship.