Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

Russell Martin and the myth of Spillane

[quote user="Legend Iwan"][quote user="GJP"]

Yeaah, to be honest it''s a bit surprising Spillane is being linked with Brentford and not a bigger club, maybe even a Premier League club. He''s got so much going for him both defensively and from an attacking point of view.

I''m sure Paul Lambert will realise what a talent he has got on his hands and will look to use him as his first choice right back next season.

[/quote]

Maybe that hasn''t happened because he isn''t as good as you believe.

I don''t believe RB is the best position for Spillane, but as defensive midfielder. I agree he is talented at his defensive duties, however, he still has lots to learn and next season will hopefully offer him the chance to gain all the necessary experience.

[/quote][img]http://www.crystalyacht.com/images/fishing.jpg[/img]

[quote user="Legend Iwan"][quote user="GJP"]

Yeaah, to be honest it''s a bit surprising Spillane is being linked with Brentford and not a bigger club, maybe even a Premier League club. He''s got so much going for him both defensively and from an attacking point of view.

I''m sure Paul Lambert will realise what a talent he has got on his hands and will look to use him as his first choice right back next season.

[/quote]

I don''t believe RB is the best position for Spillane, but as defensive midfielder. I agree he is talented at his defensive duties, however, he still has lots to learn and next season will hopefully offer him the chance to gain all the necessary experience.

[/quote]

Spillane''s the better footballer, R Martin is the better defender.

I don''t think I''ve seen anyone compare Spillane to Maicon or the like on this website, likewise I don''t think I''ve seen anyone slate Russell Martin.

Its a matter of opinion and to be fair I don''t think there''s much difference between the 2 of them, other than R Martin is more experienced. It won''t matter in a few years anyway as George Francomb will be 1st choice.

[quote user="Brian Badonde I "][quote user="Legend Iwan"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Spillane''s the better footballer, R Martin is the better defender.

I don''t think I''ve seen anyone compare Spillane to Maicon or the like on this website, likewise I don''t think I''ve seen anyone slate Russell Martin.

Its a matter of opinion and to be fair I don''t think there''s much difference between the 2 of them, other than R Martin is more experienced. It won''t matter in a few years anyway as George Francomb will be 1st choice.

[/quote]

I hope so cause he looks quality. Spillane also looked brilliant when he filled in at RB. Haven''t been impressed with R Martin much, i think we can do better than him even though he hasn''t done much wrong.

Haven''t seen this mentioned elsewhere but it seems Spillane wasn''t at the Royal Norfolk Show today despite his name being down as one of the players to be "on show".

Does this mean he is off? Or Norwich want to avoid him avoid the flood of questions about him leaving?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Haven''t seen this mentioned elsewhere but it seems Spillane wasn''t at the Royal Norfolk Show today despite his name being down as one of the players to be "on show".

Does this mean he is off? Or Norwich want to avoid him avoid the flood of questions about him leaving?

[/quote]

I wondered if they kept him away incase people were asking questions...but then I thought if that was the case then the only reason for that would be if there was something that needed to be kept under wraps.

If there wasn''t anything to keep quiet then it doesn''t matter what people ask him as he can just say nothing is happening.

We had the same thing with Shackell, everyone raved about him and slated the Doc, where as the Doc was actually far more solid than Shackell, and Shacks was, in my opinion, one of the worst centre backs i''ve seen in ages at Carrow Road. (Although he performed better when he came back on loan)

[quote user="Davo"]Boyo'' wrote about Martin: " Also when the opposition winger has the ball in a crossing position he is very slow in closing him down." He also wrote: "Also he tended to get too involved with the winger and often left wide gaps between him and the centre back allowing runners through." Is it me or does these two points contradict each other? Surely he can''t be too far away from the winger and too involved with him at the same time? I think your trying to find faults that don''t exist just to make your point that you prefer Spillane. I would prefer we played Spillane over Martin because he''s come through the ranks but if he''s not good enough he shouldn''t play end of. Davo[/quote]

Yes it seems like they contradict but its hard to get your point across properly when typing.

He would stay out wide and concentrate on the winger allowing runners through but he would not be tight to the winger.  When the winger then got the ball he still wouldn''t get tight and therefore allow a cross to be put in or let the winger get a run at him.

Thats more what I was trying to say.

[quote user="ellis206"]We had the same thing with Shackell, everyone raved about him and slated the Doc, where as the Doc was actually far more solid than Shackell, and Shacks was, in my opinion, one of the worst centre backs i''ve seen in ages at Carrow Road. (Although he performed better when he came back on loan)
[/quote]

Now that''s just crazy

Simple question, who would you start?Yes, I know it may be obvious to some of you, and I''m a complete tool for asking blah blah blah. So, who would you start? I''d play Martin, but I think with a little more experience Spillane can be just as good, and probably even better. Martin seems ok, but I wouldn''t say top end championship player yet. I ask because many have varied views it seems. Lots of you think Martin is rubbish, but others think he was one of out unsung heroes from last season. Anyway, my vote is with Martin. [Y]You? Any abuse will be kindly ignored, thanks. [:)]

Are you having a laugh?Didn''t we already do this to death in at least 2 other threads today?

[quote user="morty"]Are you having a laugh?Didn''t we already do this to death in at least 2 other threads today?[/quote]Are you serious? Well that is a real kick in the teeth. [:$] Sorry. I only just came on, and saw a few threads about Spillane leaving or something. Oh dear.... [:$]