Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Don't complain about the amount of midfielders!

If you think back to our past few seasons in the Championship, most people have been in agreement that games are mostly won or lost in the midfield area.

I certainly believe this is the most crucial area of the pitch in any league, as both the defence and the forwards rely on them heavily.

The amount of midfielders we have is increasing and the potential signing of Bailey will only add to that. I think you have to consider players who aren''t capable of making the grade THIS season (Sell Tudor Jones, Gill, Loan out Adayemi?) etc. Add to that the potential departure of Russel and whilst we''re still strong in numbers without them, we''re not in a position to complain about the amount of them.

I think Lamberts working hard to get every kind of midfielder in, and a passing player such as Fox is in my opinion, a good signing. My personal opinion is that Hughes is a fantastic footballer, but his fitness could be a concern for the following season.

If you then take into account a couple of long-term injuries throughout the season then i think you can understand why Lambert is bolstering the midfield area.

[:D]

And in all honesty, I am so enjoying seeing my Club get down to work like this, seeing new players come in and feeling we mean business.

Clearly, someone is structuring the finances admirably to allow us to construct a proper squad and this must be an incentive to players coming here and thinking we are a Club on the up.

I am so looking forward to seeing this team in action. Look at how our bench strengthened last season; next season it will be even stronger and what a positive sign that is.

True enough, Mr phucker. It''s exciting!

To look at it from the other side, as very good a manager PL is and as promising as signings may be, there''s no guarantee that the new players will work in our set-up, or that our remaining players will work well with the newcomers or under a new system. I trust his transfer moves won''t upset the good team dynamics or morale. Then again you could argue that is a sign of true ambition: to give (= purchase & persuade) yourself the opportunity to try out alternatives in existing positions, and be flexible to try new shapes.

To be honest, I don''t think there''s many moaning about the number of midfielders we have.  I believe it''s fairly obvious that a couple will leave and maybe one or two will be loaned out.

A47. Nothing so far suggests PL will do a Worthington and get rid of key characters (Doc wanted to go BTW). He talks about newcomers giving existing players ''a hand'' which is good man-management as it makes everyone feel inclusive.

After that it is up to the individuals to fight for a place.

[quote user="hogesar"]If you think back to our past few seasons in the Championship, most people have been in agreement that games are mostly won or lost in the midfield area. I certainly believe this is the most crucial area of the pitch in any league, as both the defence and the forwards rely on them heavily. The amount of midfielders we have is increasing and the potential signing of Bailey will only add to that. I think you have to consider players who aren''t capable of making the grade THIS season (Sell Tudor Jones, Gill, Loan out Adayemi?) etc. Add to that the potential departure of Russel and whilst we''re still strong in numbers without them, we''re not in a position to complain about the amount of them. I think Lamberts working hard to get every kind of midfielder in, and a passing player such as Fox is in my opinion, a good signing. My personal opinion is that Hughes is a fantastic footballer, but his fitness could be a concern for the following season. If you then take into account a couple of long-term injuries throughout the season then i think you can understand why Lambert is bolstering the midfield area. [:D][/quote]

Good points. I don''t how how big lambert is on the fitness and personal training thing but i really hope that Whitbread, Hughes, Johnson and Holty have been given serious summer training programmes this summer and will come back for pre-season in the shape of their lives (the former three having bulked up a bit). I think they can all be great at this level but are all players that need to be really fit to realise their potential.

Yep, that''s encouraging Rudi. And to be fair, our loanees this season gone fitted in well enough (Elliot in particular) and goodness knows we needed/need cover and competition. 

Viz. Wes'' injury and Holt''s over-enthusiasm taking their toll and no surprise if these sorts of things happen again and to an even greater extent in the Championship.

Aye Hogs, got it spot on. Mentioned it earlier, it''s the championship, players will get injuries, and players will lose form. I don''t think it''s a suprise that often the teams that have the strong run in often have very strong benches and squads despite not having perhaps the talent on the pitch that other teams possess. Case in point this season with Blackpool, and other past playoff winners like Hull and Burnley. Lambert obviously knows who he wants, how he wants them to play. He''s keen on fitness by the vast improvement we saw over the season, and I can see us outlasting a lot of teams in the chase next season.

[quote user="hogesar"]If you think back to our past few seasons in the Championship, most people have been in agreement that games are mostly won or lost in the midfield area.

I certainly believe this is the most crucial area of the pitch in any league, as both the defence and the forwards rely on them heavily.

The amount of midfielders we have is increasing and the potential signing of Bailey will only add to that. I think you have to consider players who aren''t capable of making the grade THIS season (Sell Tudor Jones, Gill, Loan out Adayemi?) etc. Add to that the potential departure of Russel and whilst we''re still strong in numbers without them, we''re not in a position to complain about the amount of them.

I think Lamberts working hard to get every kind of midfielder in, and a passing player such as Fox is in my opinion, a good signing. My personal opinion is that Hughes is a fantastic footballer, but his fitness could be a concern for the following season.

If you then take into account a couple of long-term injuries throughout the season then i think you can understand why Lambert is bolstering the midfield area.

[:D][/quote]Good post. A weak midfield can make even the best full back look weak under pressure - or leave the best striker chasing fresh air. IMO we never did adequately replace Damien Francis way back when - though Clingan was without doubt a bit of quality in a barren spell. (Fotheringham? Don''t make me laugh). The likes of Gary Holt and Darrel Russell can be useful players but I  hope we have signed someone who can distribute the ball and create some play. Ian Crook the 2nd come on board!

I suppose what we have to bear in mind that when we won the Championship last time we really were ridiculously lucky with injuries and managed to keep a settled team for most of the season.

Either way we''re looking at a major clear out in the midfield ranks.

I think we can assume by this that Gill and OTJ are out, and that Rusty won''t be signing on with us.

That leaves us with:

Hooly, Crofts, Fox, Hughes, Smith K, Taiwo (probably) - 6 players all fighting for central midfield berths. You certainly wonder if we don''t need another winger.

It all depends on what formation we''re playing really.

If it is still the diamond then Hoolahan at the front, Korey right, crofts at the bottom, hughes/fox left.

I certainly get the impression with these signings he still has the diamond or 4-3-3 in mind, especially with Steven Smith now providing some additional forward impetus at left back.

Certainly looking like the diamond will be used next season, or a flat midfield four aimed at keeping possession away from home, without wingers. If we''re not going to play with wingers, we don''t need them, simple.

We need five good midfielders, both to cover for injuries, and also to be able to employ shapes other than the diamond.

The time may come when during a match we need to play a defensive 4-5-1, and to have a midfielder or two on the bench means that we do not have to rely on a striker to "fill in" in the midfield.

We now have Hughes,Smith, Lappin, possibly Rusty, and the two new signings.(It looks possible that Gill, T-J and Adeyemi may go or be loaned out.)

Gill and OTJ can go has been mentioned several times. They almost never even get on the bench let alone play, Yah, they can go if Lambert''s bringing in experience and quality. Either that or put them back in some lower level program to develop further but to consider them as part of the team we will be putting on the field seems ludicrous.

If we can have enough midfielders to handle the various styles, it will pay off better than any other position.

Lets look at the truth here.Lappin was ok but in the Championship will struggle to make an impact, same as Rusty, who has previous on under achieving at multiple championship clubs.Hoolahan is only good at the tip of a diamond, otherwise he disappears and gets brushed aside.Smith is a kid and Hughes was unfit most of last season.Gill and TJ are evidently, even to the most stupid out there, not good enough.

So why is anyone surprised we are bringing in midfielders???  I would expect to see at least one more in and Gill, TJ, Rusty to go.

Then call me stupid as gill can do a job in a physical game,and even looked good when he slotted in the team at rovers! ...TJ aint seen enough to form an opinion

[quote user="ref89"]
Smith is a kid.....

[/quote]

Interesting, after 38 appearances last season I wonder how he would take to bench-warming?

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[quote user="ref89"]
Smith is a kid.....

[/quote]

Interesting, after 38 appearances last season I wonder how he would take to bench-warming?

[/quote]

I don''t think that Smith will be benchwarming, I think he will be one of the first names on the team sheet. And justifiably so, he was quality last year and will be again if he has a good injury-free pre season.

There are questions over Lappin and the future of Russell. We have signed a left footed player to compete with Lappin, a holding midfielder to probably replace Russell. As things stand, Smith''s position remains untouched. The only way I could see Lambert justifying leaving Smith on the bench is if Russell signs a new deal and is played on that right side of the diamond (where I think he would be well suited).

Crofts

Russell                 Fox

Hoolohan

This remains a possibility.

Gill, OTJ & Adeyemi will not be up to Championship football next season and will be moved on, Adeyemi only on loan though. Rusty is out of our hands with regards to wether he''s leaving or not, Lambert''s however prepared incase he does depart. We''ve got Crofts and Korey who will battle away now, Hughes & Fox to play a bit and offer a more creative threat.

Way I see our midfield next season is

---------------Crofts/Korey-----------------

Hughes/McNamee------------Fox/Lappin

------------------Wes----------------------

Which is nice as we have options all over the expected system we''ll be playing as Hughes can play at the point of the diamond in cover of Wes.

I''m happy with ourmidfield options so far, another more out n out wide player would be nice though.