hold my hands up got it wrong, but at the time he really didnt look championship material at all. I did say jackson would come good though, might have to dig it up to regain some credibility :)

Jackson was for a while Graham. [:(]Anyway I wish people would stop bringing up these old threads. Actually, no. They are interesting to see how things have changed, but why be so arrogant about things. Not everyone here are fortune tellers, unless I am mistaken?

This thread alone has 10+ examples of posters thinking they knew more than PL and you say I''m arrogant?

[quote user="Larry David"]This thread alone has 10+ examples of posters thinking they knew more than PL and you say I''m arrogant?[/quote]This is correct. [:P]Nah, but you can understand my point? People were wrong. Happens all the time. Everything is good, and I''m sure people are happy they were wrong. Do you think they want/need you guys to bring it up again? Have you ever been wrong Mr. David?

[quote user="Larry David"]This thread alone has 10+ examples of posters thinking they knew more than PL and you say I''m arrogant?[/quote]

and from his performances you think even paul lambert expected him to be the best right back in the champ the following season. Do me a favour.

To be fair none of the posters had the benefit of knowing that he was playing through injury during this period which by his own admission hindered his performances. At the time I felt he did a solid job without being spectacular although he did have a fantastic game at Wycombe whereI felt his speed got us out of jail on a lot of occasions. Its a credit to Russell Martin and the backroom staff how much he has improved this season. As I for one felt this level may be a bridge too far for him. But I think he has been as good as anything in the division this year including people like Kyle Naughton. Now to crack the Premier hopefully Russ!

He has been the best Right back in the league this season by far for me. This is 100% unbiased. I have watched us on 38 occasions this season, and I maintain that he is a quality defender. Why he didn''t get into the team of the year I am not too sure, possibly they didn''t want to put in 3 Norwich players. No, that is wrong because they put in 5 Soton players in league 1!!!

Honestly believe that in twelve months time, Russell will have played for England.

He''s certainly no worse than Glen Johnson (who I really don''t rate) in my opinion and has proven he''s as good/better than players like Walker/Naughton right now.

We''ll see though...

Wow I just looked at the post on posted on this thread a year ago and I can hold my head up high and say I never jumped on the slag off Russell Martin bandwagon!

Although the improvement in the guy this season is unreal and most unexpected!

Last season he was steady (Like I said in this thread last year!) but not spectacular but didn''t look good moving forward and seemed a litle slow!

This season he has grown into a player who moves forward at will, got an eye for goal and is fast. Its as if hes found another gear from somewhere!

[quote user="Larry David"]This thread alone has 10+ examples of posters thinking they knew more than PL and you say I''m arrogant?[/quote]

No but Jesus, this is a forum, everyone gives their opinions freely and always thinks they are right. Either we have a forum and we judge players on a day by day basis or we just sit here and post "in Lambert we trust" - Which would be insanely dull.

Personally I would rather sit here and post and be wrong sometimes and just enjoy the banter.

Lets continue not to be afraid to post our opinions for fear of some plonker bringing up a post from years ago!

I think Russell has gone from being seriously underrated to being a touch overrated.

He''s had a great season, but the fact that he''s going to win player of the year bemuses me. He''s a solid, ultra-reliable right-back in the Edworthy mould. He''s got forward to better and better effect, but you still wouldn''t say that it''s his natural game.

The idea that he''s had more of an influence on our success this season than Wes, Holt, or Crofts is a little bizarre if you ask me.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I think Russell has gone from being seriously underrated to being a touch overrated.

He''s had a great season, but the fact that he''s going to win player of the year bemuses me. He''s a solid, ultra-reliable right-back in the Edworthy mould. He''s got forward to better and better effect, but you still wouldn''t say that it''s his natural game.

The idea that he''s had more of an influence on our success this season than Wes, Holt, or Crofts is a little bizarre if you ask me.[/quote]I completely disagree with you, his effort this season has been outstanding and his performances too, worthy of all the praise he''s getting.Also, is it only me that remembers something being released about Russell being ill for last season? I''m sure Lambert said that a while ago.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I don''t think Russell Martin will be good enough for the Championship.  I think he''s better than Otsemobor because he doesn''t go missing for 30 minutes every match, but he''s not got the distribution or crossing ability I think we need.[/quote]Or the engine to get up and down the pitch for 90 minutes, he won''t keep oppo wingers quiet and he won''t score any goals.[img]http://www.themistermen.co.uk/images/MrWrong.jpg[/img]

In fairness to everyone Martins had a far better season this season than last so its understandable that people questioned whether he''d be able to step up to the CCC.

however he''s been outstanding, played every minute and barely put a foot wrong, his goals also the difference between our promotion and playoffs, a credit to himself and the coaching staff involved.

Him and Jackson really are prime examples of why we should never write anyone off and although I don''t like blind faith, I think it really is a case of "In Lambert we trust"

I honestly think Paul Lambert and the coaching team have some uncanny ability to get every player performing at their peak - if the player is willing to work hard and learn.  As I said on another thread, he could probably turn Sammy Clingan into Steven Gerrard.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]I think Russell has gone from being seriously underrated to being a touch overrated. He''s had a great season, but the fact that he''s going to win player of the year bemuses me. He''s a solid, ultra-reliable right-back in the Edworthy mould. He''s got forward to better and better effect, but you still wouldn''t say that it''s his natural game. The idea that he''s had more of an influence on our success this season than Wes, Holt, or Crofts is a little bizarre if you ask me.[/quote]

He didn''t win POTS. But should have. He deserves it as much as or even more than Holt. He never gives it any less than 100%. The fact that he has played every game this season says it all really. A truly brilliant RB, who deserves all the praise he gets.

Typical. Just driven back to Oxfordshire from the absolute glory that was today and there''s some Muppet slagging off one of the cornerstones of our team. You just don''t get it do you? Makes my blood boil. Russell Martin is a gem and one of the main reasons we''re where we are. If you can''t see that and fancy crawling back to the bad old days of beat ''em up defenders who get a nose bleed approaching the half-way line then maybe this whole thing isn''t for you. Truly, in Lambert we trust. Get real.

[quote user="Larry David"][quote user="G"]

[quote user="Larry David"]On year on... How many mugs in this thread?[/quote]

When we first got Russell Martin were you saying this boy can take us to the Premier League judging by his performances? I wasn''t i''ve been proved wrong just like Jackson but judging by there performances at first i think we were right to not feel confident in them but now credit where credit is due they have been superb.

[/quote] Ive never doubted anything Lambert''s done.[/quote]

Neither have I but Russell Martins performances weren''t great when we first got him.