Sign in to follow this  
vendy18

Re: Gary Doherty

[quote user="simo86"]yes i agree doherty has had a pretty good season apart from the odd mistake, but we also have to remeber how increadibly poor this league is. i dont think doherty will start next year sub at best, and where as nelson is good in the are, his poor distribution will mean he also wont start as we can get away with his mistakes in league one but not in championship. i honestly believe that whitbread was bought for next season and not this, as cleary after being out for so long he wouldnt feature this season.[/quote]Doc was player of the season in 2004/5 while in the Championship and 3rd placed PotS last season again in the Championship, so I think you''ll find he can cut it at that level.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="simo86"]yes i agree doherty has had a pretty good season apart from the odd mistake, but we also have to remeber how increadibly poor this league is. i dont think doherty will start next year sub at best, and where as nelson is good in the are, his poor distribution will mean he also wont start as we can get away with his mistakes in league one but not in championship. i honestly believe that whitbread was bought for next season and not this, as cleary after being out for so long he wouldnt feature this season.[/quote]Doc was player of the season in 2004/5 while in the Championship and 3rd placed PotS last season again in the Championship, so I think you''ll find he can cut it at that level.[/quote]

yeah.........that was 5 years ago players change a lot in that time if you really want to walk that road, and he was third last year when we got relegated. i see the point your trying to make but not a very good argument unforunatley.

quote]Doc was player of the season in 2004/5 while in the Championship and 3rd placed PotS last season again in the Championship, so I think you''ll find he can cut it at that level

yeah.........that was 5 years ago players change a lot in that time if you really want to walk that road, and he was third last year when we got relegated. i see the point your trying to make but not a very good argument unforunatley.

Some norwich fans need to get real.

John terry had a shocking performance at everton a few weeks ago this doesn''t automatically make him a bad defender.

Doherty plays one miss placed pass and all hell breaks lose. He is the best defender at this club. Zak whitbread? He could be good could be bad no one knows unless certain inbred corners of norwich fans have crystal balls

No one saying Doc should be benched after his blunder, but many saying Nelson should be benched? Where is the logic?!

[quote user="simo86"]quote]Doc was player of the season in 2004/5 while in the Championship and 3rd placed PotS last season again in the Championship, so I think you''ll find he can cut it at that level

yeah.........that was 5 years ago players change a lot in that time if you really want to walk that road, and he was third last year when we got relegated. i see the point your trying to make but not a very good argument unforunatley.[/quote]Well no offence, but "Lots of fans thought Doherty played well last season despite our relegation and voted him 3rd place PotS, therefore he has proved he can play at Championship level" is, to my mind, a more persuasive argument then "I don''t think he''s good enough".

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="simo86"]quote]

Doc was player of the season in 2004/5 while in the Championship and 3rd placed PotS last season again in the Championship, so I think you''ll find he can cut it at that level yeah.........that was 5 years ago players change a lot in that time if you really want to walk that road, and he was third last year when we got relegated. i see the point your trying to make but not a very good argument unforunatley.[/quote]

Well no offence, but "Lots of fans thought Doherty played well last season despite our relegation and voted him 3rd place PotS, therefore he has proved he can play at Championship level" is, to my mind, a more persuasive argument then "I don''t think he''s good enough".

[/quote]

Thats not a persuasive argument at all. The team was absolutely woeful last season. The only player who showed last season that they were decent enough to play at that level was Clingan. There was no pride in coming third at all. Its a far cry from when I think in 03/04 the order was 1.Fleming 2. Huckerby 3.Green.

You also have to ask when Doherty was initally frozen out by Lambert he would have been available on loan and probably very cheaply on permanent deal in January. Yet no championship club opted to take the plunge nor did their seem to be any interest in the summer?

He has played very well this season this season. I think the mistakes at Swindon and Tranmere must be the first he has made all season. This is why quite rightly no one wants him to be dropped as the Leeds game is more indicative of his form this season. But I am not convinced whether he is the answer at Championship level.

That back pass was atrocious especially as he had more than enough time to turn away from our goal and set up an attack for us or hoof it towards their goal Can''t argue that Doc has been one of our best performers this season but let''s not forget that the opposition in this league is mediocre at best, I sincerely hope that he is not first choice next year if we do go up because it has been proven over the last few years that he is not good enough for the Championship.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Crofty was our ''Player of the Season''.....what''s he up to now?[/quote]Eating pies in Derby, he''s got an Elvis-style weight problem.

I find it ironic that he couldn''t wait to leave Norwich last season. Now at 3 o''clock on a Saturday he can often be seen strolling around Norwich whilst Derby are playing as he comes back here quite often

Thats not a persuasive argument at all.

More persuasive than "I think he''s crap" though.

The team was absolutely woeful last season.

Yes, but to come third in a woeful team implies he was better than most other player.

The only player who showed last season that they were decent enough to play at that level was Clingan. There was no pride in coming third at all. 

More than fourth, fifth, sixth....

Its a far cry from when I think in 03/04 the order was 1.Fleming 2. Huckerby 3.Green.

Not relevant.

You also have to ask when Doherty was initally frozen out by Lambert he would have been available on loan and probably very cheaply on permanent deal in January. Yet no championship club opted to take the plunge nor did their seem to be any interest in the summer?

A strange bit of logic, that one.  Have you heard any transfer speculation about John Terry? No? He must be crap then, nobody else wants him...

He has played very well this season this season. I think the mistakes at Swindon and Tranmere must be the first he has made all season. This is why quite rightly no one wants him to be dropped as the Leeds game is more indicative of his form this season. But I am not convinced whether he is the answer at Championship level.

He''s proved he can do it at championship level.  When you say "not convinced he''s the answer", what''s the question - is it about Championship status or going up to the premier league? He is not a premier league player, but none of our current squad are.  At Championship level he has proved himself over four seasons.

[quote user="kdncfc"]

That back pass was atrocious especially as he had more than enough time to turn away from our goal and set up an attack for us or hoof it towards their goal Can''t argue that Doc has been one of our best performers this season but let''s not forget that the opposition in this league is mediocre at best, I sincerely hope that he is not first choice next year if we do go up because it has been proven over the last few years that he is not good enough for the Championship.

[/quote]There''s the myth again.  How and when has it been proven Doherty is not good enough for the Championship?

I actually think Nelson has been more consistant and better than Doc recently. I would pair him with Whitbread. I think Doc will not be here next season as Lambert probably knows he can get better for the wage he''s on....

The Doc has been not short of immense; easily the most consistant defender we''ve had this season as the others has blown hot/cold and injury has taken it toll on a few (Drury/Jens/etc). Plus add the goals including the match winners and it proves "ncfcfan" you havent got a scooby. Did you see Beckford to ANYTHING last week? NO! who had him in his pocket.

Yes he has made mistakes but then so has Vidic, Rio, Terry, Caragher more times then they''d have liked.

...was defo in the top 3 or 4 city players of the season for me. Whether he can hold off Zak or Jens in the Championship remains to be seen...but lets thank him for the amazing job he has done for us in league one.

"that" back-pass for me is forgetten...I think it could work out well as Rudd needs games anyway.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="kdncfc"]

[/quote]

There''s the myth again.  How and when has it been proven Doherty is not good enough for the Championship?
[/quote]

Because he has been part of a defence that has leaked goals in the Championship ever since we were relegated from the prem, he gets punished for his mistakes at that level more than he has in league 1. Who could ever forget the 4-1 televised defeat to Burnley in Worthys last game when he misjudged the bounce of the ball and ended up hauling their forward down and getting sent off.. He can have some very good moments but the next mistake is never far away and you cannot afford too many mistakes in the Championship.

I think people are getting deluded about gary doherty because this season he has been good (due to the players not as good). Last season he was a recipe for disaster and let in goals for fun.....gave about 5 or 6 penalties away and got sent off a few times too.I just hope he trains harder over the summer but i wouldnt be disapointed if it was whitbread and someone else everyweek.

[quote user="kiwiNCFC"]I think people are getting deluded about gary doherty because this season he has been good (due to the players not as good). Last season he was a recipe for disaster and let in goals for fun.....gave about 5 or 6 penalties away and got sent off a few times too.[/quote]Sorry, this is complete rubbish.He was sent off twice, once incorrectly against Bristol City where replays showed he took the ball with an excellent sliding tackle.  He gave away two penalties, one of those from the same incident where he was sent off incorrectly.

[quote user="kiwiNCFC"]

I think people are getting deluded about gary doherty because this season he has been good (due to the players not as good).

Last season he was a recipe for disaster and let in goals for fun.....gave about 5 or 6 penalties away and got sent off a few times too.

[/quote]

I think, perhaps, you might be the deluded one. Judging by that last sentence.

Maybe not deluded. Just clueless, probably.

WHEN WILL YOU LOT GET IT INTO YOUR SKULLS THAT DOC IS TOO SLOW......................AND GINGER!

HE REPRESENTS EVERYTHING THAT IS BAD ABOUT NORWICH.

Discuss.................................

[quote user="spencer 1970"]

The Doc has been not short of immense; easily the most consistant defender we''ve had this season as the others has blown hot/cold and injury has taken it toll on a few (Drury/Jens/etc). Plus add the goals including the match winners and it proves "ncfcfan" you havent got a scooby. Did you see Beckford to ANYTHING last week? NO! who had him in his pocket.

Yes he has made mistakes but then so has Vidic, Rio, Terry, Caragher more times then they''d have liked.

...was defo in the top 3 or 4 city players of the season for me. Whether he can hold off Zak or Jens in the Championship remains to be seen...but lets thank him for the amazing job he has done for us in league one.

"that" back-pass for me is forgetten...I think it could work out well as Rudd needs games anyway.

[/quote]

May I refer you to the point I made earlier...

"Whether he can hold off Zak or Jens in the Championship remains to be seen...but lets thank him for the amazing job he has done for us in league one".

It''s not just the pens he gave away, there were also plenty of free kicks after he had given the other teams attackers a cuddle in dangerous areas around the box that ended up costing us goals and other occasions like the goal at Swindon the other week where he switches off and allows an opposition player steal a march on him to bury a header at the near post. Doc is an honest player who always gives his all but imo he is not good enough to play in a team who wants to be challenging in the top half of the championship.

[quote user="spencer 1970"][quote user="spencer 1970"]

[/quote]

May I refer you to the point I made earlier...

"Whether he can hold off Zak or Jens in the Championship remains to be seen...but lets thank him for the amazing job he has done for us in league one".

[/quote]

I don''t think he''ll have a problem there. Zak plays on the left side of defence and the Doc is, by some distance, a better player and defender than Jens.

Every single defender makes mistakes unfortunately, thats part of being Human, from non-league right upto champions league gamesThere wont be a single Norwich defender who won''t make mistakes.  if I were you i''d worry about games in hand and also take satisfaction that your top of the league.   Doherty would walk into any team in this current league.The whole opinion of he wont cut it next season when you go up is currently irrelevant, your playing league one at the moment, not championship football.When you go up, will be as when Lambert shapes the team for the championship, and only he knows who can cut it, until then just enjoy walking away with the league your in

[quote user="kdncfc"]It''s not just the pens he gave away, there were also plenty of free kicks after he had given the other teams attackers a cuddle in dangerous areas around the box[/quote]No, sorry, rubbish - he''s only ever given away about five penalties for us, ever, and his fouling ratio this season and the previous couple is just over one per match on average.  And yes, breaking news - defenders give away free kicks in dangerous areas.  Incredible!

[quote user="Calsworth"]Every single defender makes mistakes unfortunately, thats part of being Human, from non-league right upto champions league games
There wont be a single Norwich defender who won''t make mistakes.  if I were you i''d worry about games in hand and also take satisfaction that your top of the league.  
Doherty would walk into any team in this current league.

The whole opinion of he wont cut it next season when you go up is currently irrelevant, your playing league one at the moment, not championship football.
When you go up, will be as when Lambert shapes the team for the championship, and only he knows who can cut it, until then just enjoy walking away with the league your in

[/quote]

here here Cals...exactly.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="kdncfc"]It''s not just the pens he gave away, there were also plenty of free kicks after he had given the other teams attackers a cuddle in dangerous areas around the box[/quote]

No, sorry, rubbish - he''s only ever given away about five penalties for us, ever, and his fouling ratio this season and the previous couple is just over one per match on average.  And yes, breaking news - defenders give away free kicks in dangerous areas.  Incredible!
[/quote]

No sorry it''s not rubbish, Doc gives away far too many free kicks in dangerous areas around the box because of the way he wraps his arms around strikers imo of course. Oh and sarcasm is the lowest form of wit just in case you didn''t know.

[quote user="kdncfc"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="kdncfc"]It''s not just the pens he gave away, there were also plenty of free kicks after he had given the other teams attackers a cuddle in dangerous areas around the box[/quote]

No, sorry, rubbish - he''s only ever given away about five penalties for us, ever, and his fouling ratio this season and the previous couple is just over one per match on average.  And yes, breaking news - defenders give away free kicks in dangerous areas.  Incredible!
[/quote]

No sorry it''s not rubbish, Doc gives away far too many free kicks in dangerous areas around the box because of the way he wraps his arms around strikers imo of course. Oh and sarcasm is the lowest form of wit just in case you didn''t know.

[/quote]

another "fan" that has obviously never played the game. Seat warmer.

I bet for the second year running a player (Doherty) will be player of the season and leave the club.  And we''ll all argue over which planks voted for him.

[quote user="Heresyourfathersgun"]

WHEN WILL YOU LOT GET IT INTO YOUR SKULLS THAT DOC IS TOO SLOW......................AND GINGER!

[/quote]He didn''t look slow when outpacing Beckford last week.Agree that red hair and yellow shirts are a bad clash.  Hey, it''s lucky we never signed Gordon Strachan, Paul Scholes, Ray Parlour, Carlos Valderrama, Steve Sidwell.