Sign in to follow this  
Bomber

Simon Lappin

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]Agreed, Lappin is doing great for us and seems to be enjoying playing for us and winning. Just a pity Roeder didn''t make better decisions really. Also really got me last night with Joe Lewis at Peterborough on the Late Kick off, how an asset like that could ever slip through our fingers is beyond me- now being talked about possibly going to Spurs for a multimillion pound transfer fee.[/quote]Which I believe we have a substantial sell on clause on.[:D]

Yeah its better than nothing I suppose, just feel you should give youngsters who have come through the academy more of a chance-Ok some haven''t done so well Hendo, Crow etc but there is always the chance of another Rob Green, Craig Bellamy etc.

I often wonder if Chris Martin would have stayed here after his loan spell at Luton had Roeder been here to the end of the season.

I''m so pleased we now have a manager who is giving our youngsters a chance and giving them the time to show what they can do. This is the way forward for a club like ours.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Salford City YELLOW"]Over the last 2 or 3 games Lappin has looked superb. When Lambert arrived he was very good too. However, over November/December I felt like he wasn''t really up to scratch with the rest of the team. Gave the ball away far too frequently and made a lot of silly mistakes which led to giving needless fouls away. The amount of time he spends having a go at the referee rather than getting back and marking up irritates me a little bit as well - it reminds me of Gary Neville.

On the whole I can''t complain too much though as he clearly gives the team balance and is our second best assister. I think every player has areas that they can improve but out of the current starting 11, it''s Lappin and Nelson I feel would be the most ill-equip for life in the Championship.[/quote]If you watch him carefully he appears to have a knack of knowing when to foul. Malky used to have it as well. He often gets bookings when the opposition are threatening to break and he goes in hard - has a yack with the ref and generally holds up play allowing use to get our shape back.As for the Championship - I think your wrong. If you have a high technical ability and good fitness and strength being the fastest player on the pitch - even out wide, doesn''t matter.Look at Beckham - appart from a season or so when he first burst onto the scene - how often did/do you see him burning up turf and flooring it past players? What has always made Beckham a great player is his passion and drive and his ability to consistantly put good balls into the box. Although not as good as Beckham, Lappin could and has played a similar role for us. I think he will still have an important role next season but I think you will find that we may chop and change our formation more to combat the different styles of teams we will play. At the moment he is keeping the likes of McNamee out of the side.[/quote]

I didn''t mention his pace, I think someone else did but I agree with you that you do not need bags of pace to play in his position. I don''t think he does get booked cleverly. He has been booked at least twice for kicking the ball away which, for a professional footballer is pure stupidity. I don''t think HE is keeping Macnamee out of the side, I think the current formation is the reason for this. It would be impossible to play Macnamee in Lappin''s current role as he is not defensive enough and Drury would be left even more exposed. Should we ever revert to 4-4-2 I think you would witness Lappin being substituted more often. I feel sorry for Macnamee at the moment, especially with Oli Johnson walking straight into the team. They are both talented and will hopefully stay patient and take their chance when it comes.

To clarify - I do rate Lappin (at this level) but any higher I would be worried.

he is quietly becoming one of my favourite players this season in part due not only to his enhtusiasm when we score but the right go that he has at his team mates when we are slacking. there are more glam candidates but few would have put up with the rodent treatment with as much class as lappin.

Lappin is something of an unsung hero at the moment. He is currently playing some of his best football for the Canaries but is rather overshadowed by the holy trinity of Hooly, Holt and Martin.

Agree with you Bristol Nest - he isn''t just passionate though and playing with obvious enjoyment, he is - with Rusty - great at winning the ball. I also think he has been getting more pacey over the last couple of months.

His kicking has upped our ability to score from free kicks and corners - a couple of seasons ago we were useless in any dead ball situations.

I''d Love For Lapps To Get A Goal, Imagine How Amazing And Enthusiastic His Celebration Would Be. He Is Definetly An Unsung Hero For This Season. His Performances Are Brilliant Every Match And I Think His Free Kicks Etc Have Improved. He Is A Genuine And Unselfish Player - Good On Him!

Lappin deserves a goal for his efforts this season and his professionalism when frozen out by Roeder... he''ll go mental when he scores i bet....

I wonder what he makes of his song?Not many players get anything other than the run of the mill songs adapted for them. Lappin''s is unique isn''t it?I can claim a bit of credit for that one, being one of only a handful who joined in for weeks till it finally caught on. It''s bloody hard work trying to get the Barclay to flex their lung muscles sometimes! ;)

Does anyone know of a bigger version of the picture of Lappin:

http://www.pinkun.com/content/pinkun/norwich-city/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=xDefault&itemid=NOED17%20Jan%202010%2019:18:49:750

I think it''d make a superb desktop wallpaper :)

OTBC!