Sign in to follow this  
Shyster

Cracked Diamond

This has certainly ruffled a few feathers. I think Shyster is right that City need an alternative to the Diamond for certain matches and I also think that this is why he''s brought McNamee in. Like others, I like the diamond, but I think a more attacking formation is needed if City fall behind as at Carlisle (who went to a 4-1-4-1 to stifle the diamond effectively). Ease up guys!

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]This has certainly ruffled a few feathers. I think Shyster is right that City need an alternative to the Diamond for certain matches and I also think that this is why he''s brought McNamee in. Like others, I like the diamond, but I think a more attacking formation is needed if City fall behind as at Carlisle (who went to a 4-1-4-1 to stifle the diamond effectively). Ease up guys![/quote]I must admit to being disturbed by Allez''s implication that the only people who are worth listening to on an internet forum are those that are paid to write creatively.  How many opinions would you get per week if that happened ?  That could just be a piece of pomposity on his part.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]This has certainly ruffled a few feathers. I think Shyster is right that City need an alternative to the Diamond for certain matches and I also think that this is why he''s brought McNamee in. Like others, I like the diamond, but I think a more attacking formation is needed if City fall behind as at Carlisle (who went to a 4-1-4-1 to stifle the diamond effectively). Ease up guys![/quote]I must admit to being disturbed by Allez''s implication that the only people who are worth listening to on an internet forum are those that are paid to write creatively.  How many opinions would you get per week if that happened ?  That could just be a piece of pomposity on his part.[/quote]Thats not actually what he said though blah. Have another read of his post he is saying that Shyster had beaten his ''diamond metaphore'' to death. Think he was more criticizing shysters writing than anything else. I agree 4-4-2 with two pacy wingers is a bit our of date now, and for me to much of a shift to be a viable plan b. To switch from the diamond to 4-4-2 we would have to make two substitutions to get two pacy wingers on as none are in the current 11, along with changing other plays positions. For me an alternative ot the diamond would be a sort of 4-3-3, taking off Wes for McNamee allowing him to go wide left, martin wider on the right to cut inside and Holt linking the three. The midfield 3 would have a good mix of energy and creativity and the added midfield cover coulld allow full backs to roam forward more.

[quote user="king canary"]Thats not actually what he said though blah. Have another read of his post he is saying that Shyster had beaten his ''diamond metaphore'' to death. Think he was more criticizing shysters writing than anything else. [/quote]My apologies Mr King, I must have interpreted his phrase "Leave the creative writing to us who get paid for it" the other way.  The phrase is so elusive in its'' meaning after all.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="king canary"]Thats not actually what he said though blah. Have another read of his post he is saying that Shyster had beaten his ''diamond metaphore'' to death. Think he was more criticizing shysters writing than anything else. [/quote]My apologies Mr King, I must have interpreted his phrase "Leave the creative writing to us who get paid for it" the other way.  The phrase is so elusive in its'' meaning after all.[/quote]Do I detect some sarcasm there blah? Here is the quote..."Aside from all of that, you didn''t so much extend the diamond metaphor

in your first post as beat it like a red headed stepchild. Leave the

creative writing to us who get paid for it, eh?"Not saying only those who get paid to write creativly are worth listening to, more a dig at the posters writing.

There seems to be an assumption that 4-4-2 has to be played with two all-out attacking wingers. I think that is what is meant here by "pacy".But the classic 4-4-2 that the Brazilians used in winning the World Cup in 1958 and 1962 only had one attacking winger, in Garrincha. Zagalo, on the other hand, was a real workhorse, ploughing his way the length of the left flank, helping out in defence, and in central midfield to ensure that wasn''t overrun.Without for one teeny moment comparing the teams and players in terms of quality, one could easily see McNamee as the all-out attacker on the right (apparently he can play there), with Lappin as the Zagalo figure on the left. And there are probably other combinations of players in the squad that could be similarly used.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="king canary"]Thats not actually what he said though blah. Have another read of his post he is saying that Shyster had beaten his ''diamond metaphore'' to death. Think he was more criticizing shysters writing than anything else. [/quote]My apologies Mr King, I must have interpreted his phrase "Leave the creative writing to us who get paid for it" the other way.  The phrase is so elusive in its'' meaning after all.[/quote]Do I detect some sarcasm there blah? Here is the quote..."Aside from all of that, you didn''t so much extend the diamond metaphor

creative writing to us who get paid for it, eh?"Not saying only those who get paid to write creativly are worth listening to, more a dig at the posters writing.[/quote]

Well, I''m presently reading through Allez(Mr Asymmetrical)17''s post again for any signs of creative writing and I''m seeing Jack s*it......Ah, just spotted ''AntMac'' which obviously stands for ''Anthony McNamee''. Wow! Such productive originality.  [:P]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="king canary"]Thats not actually what he said though blah. Have another read of his post he is saying that Shyster had beaten his ''diamond metaphore'' to death. Think he was more criticizing shysters writing than anything else. [/quote]My apologies Mr King, I must have interpreted his phrase "Leave the creative writing to us who get paid for it" the other way.  The phrase is so elusive in its'' meaning after all.[/quote]Do I detect some sarcasm there blah? Here is the quote..."Aside from all of that, you didn''t so much extend the diamond metaphor

creative writing to us who get paid for it, eh?"Not saying only those who get paid to write creativly are worth listening to, more a dig at the posters writing.[/quote]

Well, I''m presently reading through Allez(Mr Asymmetrical)17''s post again for any signs of creative writing and I''m seeing Jack s*it......Ah, just spotted ''AntMac'' which obviously stands for ''Anthony McNamee''. Wow! Such productive originality.  [:P][/quote]Got to agree with you there!

First of all, thanks to whoever noticed I criticised his abuse of a metaphor, not his right to have an opinion. As for the post above me - I''m not on here to impress people with wordplay or dazzle with a hack''s metaphor... only to talk about football. I''ll leave the rest to the people who pay my wages.

doesnt matter if you play the diamond 442 or even 1 ten its the players who are playing that win you games if you have got the quality on the pitch you can play any formation people get to wrapped up in this rubbish people keep going on about the diamond [see youve got me at it now lol ] and how its flawed people no we play it so how come most games we dominate teams and long may it continue otbc

[quote user="hogman"]doesnt matter if you play the diamond 442 or even 1 ten its the players who are playing that win you games if you have got the quality on the pitch you can play any formation people get to wrapped up in this rubbish people keep going on about the diamond [see youve got me at it now lol ] and how its flawed people no we play it so how come most games we dominate teams and long may it continue otbc[/quote]Well there we go everyone. Five pages of fairly interesting tactical analysis where even Valeriy Lobanovskyi and Rinus Michaels have put aside their usual arguments about who invented total football (or is it who has managed the best amateur football team, I can never remember [;)]) and stopped their usual cock waving. But it turns out that we were all wasting our time as ''you can play any formation'' and it ''doesnt matter if you play the diamond 442 or even 1 ten''.Close this thread now Pete, the heir to Lord Purplenose has spoken [:|]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Shyster"]Shack - [quote]Hardly any teams play with two out and out wingers these days with most preferring one winger with the other wide midfielder ''tucked in''.[/quote]

Precisely, Shack.

Do you think if we broke the mold it might just prove successful?

I personally think it would.
[/quote]

I think it would leave us without defensive cover - do we have 2 Russells ?
[/quote]

Please elaborate, blah, because I''m not sure what point you''re trying to make here. Bearing in mind that we''re talking about playing a 4-4-2 with flat back four, two out & out wingers and a DM and foraging MC.
[/quote]
If you''re playing with 2 out and out wingers you''re going to need 2 central midfielders who are going to sit otherwise you''re going to be overun
[/quote]

Wrong - if a DM is a good ''un you only need the one. The other chap in central midfield should be a forager.
[/quote]

I''d go further than good, he''d have to be exceptional, the game has moved on a lot over the past decade or so in regards to pace and fitness. Also many sides will come up against us with a 5 man midfield, of course you need width to break them down but if you go in with just 1 midfielder prepared to drop back and protect the back 4 you''re going to be in trouble.
[/quote]

Spot on Trent. If we play two out and out wingers, we need two central midfielders to sit in front of the back four. It''s effectively the formation France employed to win the World Cup in 1998, although their defensive midfielders were world class - with Petit and Dechaumps sitting, and Viera as only a back up!

[quote user="Trent Canary"]From what I have seen this season, the three main things we need to sort out are firstly a plan B for when all goes wrong. Secondly a formation without Holt (Lets say he gets injured) and finally a formation without Hoolahan (Likewise)

The current formation has got us where we are, and we must be one of the top scoring teams in England, and although I see no reason to change it right now we definitely need alternatives. Presumably if Hoolahan gets injured we would play a straight 4-4-2, with McNamee on the left, and ? on the right. If Holt gets injured then frankly I think we are in trouble.

Lamberts said all along he wants to bring in more players, and lets not forget this will be his first transfer window with us, I think by the end of January we should have a good idea of where he wants to take us.
[/quote]

If Hooly gets injured then you could play Lappin, Hughes, Russell, Smith or McNamee for either Lappin or Smith.

You could retain the diamond without Hooly as I think Martin could play in that role - Lambert seems to think Daley could do also.

[quote user="Shyster"]The diamond has been polished and will remain a gleaming gem in Lambert''s career - alas, the most precious of those stones are transparent and as with the diamond formation, it''s becoming transparent to the opposition.

Albeit slightly earlier than I predicted/expected, cracks have formed in the diamond - we''ve witnessed major clefts in the seasons second outing against the Cumbrians, where the latter had our formation sussed, and I''m certain the fissuring would prevail in return outings against sides for the rest of the season. Alas, Lambo has partly addressed the situation with the signing of a pacey wide man, but I am still concerned about the lack of pace down the right - call me old fashioned, but I want the option of a 4-4-2 with two nippy out & out flankers who can whip balls into the horse, ''cause there''s no way Holt can keep tracking back in the New Year as he has been doing thus far.

Teams in the second half of the season will also stamp out Hoolahan''s effectiveness by sticking a couple of players on him, which is why it''s imperative creativity comes from elsewhere on the pitch, and it is my belief that both wings should be utilised with equal & even pace; not necessarily within the same games where the lone, swift winger may suffice, but we need those options and hopefully Hoolahan on the bench for reversion purposes to maintain the promotion charge.

Provided we sell no one in January and sign McNamee & Martin there will surely be no funds for the acquisition of a decent right winger - so do we hope that Whaley comes back and comes back in his present good form? Or do we hope that there''s another player currently in the squad that can cut the mustard in that vital right berth?

I sincerely hope that Lambo isn''t relying on one of the youngsters such as Daley.[/quote]

I think Daley is on a goal trail! Looked on Tues night - and has the pace that you want. Break him in gently

I thought Daley did well on Tuesday too. Lambert seems to be prepared to give him chances and he is possibly the best cover we have for Martin.

[quote user="Shyster"]The diamond has been polished and will remain a gleaming gem in Lambert''s career - alas, the most precious of those stones are transparent and as with the diamond formation, it''s becoming transparent to the opposition.Albeit slightly earlier than I predicted/expected, cracks have formed in the diamond - we''ve witnessed major clefts in the seasons second outing against the Cumbrians, where the latter had our formation sussed, and I''m certain the fissuring would prevail in return outings against sides for the rest of the season. Alas, Lambo has partly addressed the situation with the signing of a pacey wide man, but I am still concerned about the lack of pace down the right - call me old fashioned, but I want the option of a 4-4-2 with two nippy out & out flankers who can whip balls into the horse, ''cause there''s no way Holt can keep tracking back in the New Year as he has been doing thus far.Teams in the second half of the season will also stamp out Hoolahan''s effectiveness by sticking a couple of players on him, which is why it''s imperative creativity comes from elsewhere on the pitch, and it is my belief that both wings should be utilised with equal & even pace; not necessarily within the same games where the lone, swift winger may suffice, but we need those options and hopefully Hoolahan on the bench for reversion purposes to maintain the promotion charge.Provided we sell no one in January and sign McNamee & Martin there will surely be no funds for the acquisition of a decent right winger - so do we hope that Whaley comes back and comes back in his present good form? Or do we hope that there''s another player currently in the squad that can cut the mustard in that vital right berth?I sincerely hope that Lambo isn''t relying on one of the youngsters such as Daley.[/quote]

Seriously now - it hurts to be telling you all ''I told you so''.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Shyster"]The diamond has been polished and will remain a gleaming gem in Lambert''s career - alas, the most precious of those stones are transparent and as with the diamond formation, it''s becoming transparent to the opposition.Albeit slightly earlier than I predicted/expected, cracks have formed in the diamond - we''ve witnessed major clefts in the seasons second outing against the Cumbrians, where the latter had our formation sussed, and I''m certain the fissuring would prevail in return outings against sides for the rest of the season. Alas, Lambo has partly addressed the situation with the signing of a pacey wide man, but I am still concerned about the lack of pace down the right - call me old fashioned, but I want the option of a 4-4-2 with two nippy out & out flankers who can whip balls into the horse, ''cause there''s no way Holt can keep tracking back in the New Year as he has been doing thus far.Teams in the second half of the season will also stamp out Hoolahan''s effectiveness by sticking a couple of players on him, which is why it''s imperative creativity comes from elsewhere on the pitch, and it is my belief that both wings should be utilised with equal & even pace; not necessarily within the same games where the lone, swift winger may suffice, but we need those options and hopefully Hoolahan on the bench for reversion purposes to maintain the promotion charge.Provided we sell no one in January and sign McNamee & Martin there will surely be no funds for the acquisition of a decent right winger - so do we hope that Whaley comes back and comes back in his present good form? Or do we hope that there''s another player currently in the squad that can cut the mustard in that vital right berth?I sincerely hope that Lambo isn''t relying on one of the youngsters such as Daley.[/quote]

Seriously now - it hurts to be telling you all ''I told you so''.[/quote]Original post made: 2 December 2009League games played by NCFC between 2 December 2009 & today: 12Points earned: 28/36"Crackedness" of diamond: 20%validity of Shyster''s argument: less than he believes

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Shyster"]The diamond has been polished and will remain a gleaming gem in Lambert''s career - alas, the most precious of those stones are transparent and as with the diamond formation, it''s becoming transparent to the opposition.Albeit slightly earlier than I predicted/expected, cracks have formed in the diamond - we''ve witnessed major clefts in the seasons second outing against the Cumbrians, where the latter had our formation sussed, and I''m certain the fissuring would prevail in return outings against sides for the rest of the season. Alas, Lambo has partly addressed the situation with the signing of a pacey wide man, but I am still concerned about the lack of pace down the right - call me old fashioned, but I want the option of a 4-4-2 with two nippy out & out flankers who can whip balls into the horse, ''cause there''s no way Holt can keep tracking back in the New Year as he has been doing thus far.Teams in the second half of the season will also stamp out Hoolahan''s effectiveness by sticking a couple of players on him, which is why it''s imperative creativity comes from elsewhere on the pitch, and it is my belief that both wings should be utilised with equal & even pace; not necessarily within the same games where the lone, swift winger may suffice, but we need those options and hopefully Hoolahan on the bench for reversion purposes to maintain the promotion charge.Provided we sell no one in January and sign McNamee & Martin there will surely be no funds for the acquisition of a decent right winger - so do we hope that Whaley comes back and comes back in his present good form? Or do we hope that there''s another player currently in the squad that can cut the mustard in that vital right berth?I sincerely hope that Lambo isn''t relying on one of the youngsters such as Daley.[/quote]

Seriously now - it hurts to be telling you all ''I told you so''.[/quote]Original post made: 2 December 2009League games played by NCFC between 2 December 2009 & today: 12Points earned: 28/36"Crackedness" of diamond: 20%validity of Shyster''s argument: less than he believes[/quote]

The validity of my argument  lays in the fact that we could''ve been coasting in top position with the simple acquisition of pace on the right to create a realistic Plan B.Now we find ourselves within a mere 4 points of the lottery that is the play-offs when we could''ve been cruising.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Shyster"]The diamond has been polished and will remain a gleaming gem in Lambert''s career - alas, the most precious of those stones are transparent and as with the diamond formation, it''s becoming transparent to the opposition.

Albeit slightly earlier than I predicted/expected, cracks have formed in the diamond - we''ve witnessed major clefts in the seasons second outing against the Cumbrians, where the latter had our formation sussed, and I''m certain the fissuring would prevail in return outings against sides for the rest of the season. Alas, Lambo has partly addressed the situation with the signing of a pacey wide man, but I am still concerned about the lack of pace down the right - call me old fashioned, but I want the option of a 4-4-2 with two nippy out & out flankers who can whip balls into the horse, ''cause there''s no way Holt can keep tracking back in the New Year as he has been doing thus far.

Teams in the second half of the season will also stamp out Hoolahan''s effectiveness by sticking a couple of players on him, which is why it''s imperative creativity comes from elsewhere on the pitch, and it is my belief that both wings should be utilised with equal & even pace; not necessarily within the same games where the lone, swift winger may suffice, but we need those options and hopefully Hoolahan on the bench for reversion purposes to maintain the promotion charge.

Provided we sell no one in January and sign McNamee & Martin there will surely be no funds for the acquisition of a decent right winger - so do we hope that Whaley comes back and comes back in his present good form? Or do we hope that there''s another player currently in the squad that can cut the mustard in that vital right berth?

I sincerely hope that Lambo isn''t relying on one of the youngsters such as Daley.[/quote]

[/quote]

Original post made: 2 December 2009
League games played by NCFC between 2 December 2009 & today: 12
Points earned: 28/36
"Crackedness" of diamond: 20%
validity of Shyster''s argument: less than he believes

[/quote]

Which all goes to show that since December 2nd Shyster has been waiting to say I told you so and finally gets his chance. I reckon a stopped clock has a better record than you Shyster[O]

What a bizzare comment since your post we have got 31 points out of 39, what you are saying is presumably we would have won all 13 games playing 442. Would that not have been sussed out by now. Should you not be saying I got it totally wrong good job Lambert is manager. I am sure if Lambert thinks it is time to change it he will, but I dont think he feels we have the players to win playing 442 especially with Drurys injury.

Today is not the day to link a defeat to the diamond. It was down to a poor performance. The players were under par today and it wouldn''t have mattered how they set up. As for being sussed, well, there isn''t a more sussed line up than 4-4-2, followed by shyster being sussed in his quest to prove himself right.

Is Shyster talking about the last 15 games, or the last 4?

It seems to me he has a legti worry about the last few games but all those who disagree prefer to counter him by bringing up the last 15, 11 (or so) of which the system was working to perfection.

If you disagree with him, at least disagree on the point he is making.

For those who think the diamond is not going to work in CCC, it was what got us promoted to the promised land several years ago.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Is Shyster talking about the last 15 games, or the last 4? It seems to me he has a legti worry about the last few games but all those who disagree prefer to counter him by bringing up the last 15, 11 (or so) of which the system was working to perfection. If you disagree with him, at least disagree on the point he is making. For those who think the diamond is not going to work in CCC, it was what got us promoted to the promised land several years ago.[/quote]

He maybe has a legit worry over the last few games. But he is coming on here with "I told you so''s" about a point he made on December 2nd.

It''s an interesting subject which promotes good football related debate. For me the diamond is probably still our best option because it allows us to play the three players who have scored 56 goals this season. If we went to 442 I don''t believe you could accomodate all three in the same side. Wes is still our most dangerous and creative player while Martin and Holt are still our lethal goalscorers.

The left side of our team is struggling at the moment. Lappin, Rose and Nelson. We miss Drury, Whitbread or Askou would probably be a better option than Nelson and maybe Lappin needs a rest. Lappin and Smith continually have to put in huge shifts for the cause.

It''s the known against the unknown really and for now I''d be happy to put my money on Hoolahan, Martin and Holt scoring enough goals to get us over the line.

I''d agree with that, Nutty, I think.

I don''t think anyone would seriously disagree with Shyster''s assessment that the diamond has its problems. As others have said, it depends hugely on massive workrate from Lappin and Smith. Smith continues to amaze with his endurance at such a young age, but Lappin looks off the pace at the moment. It also depends on the full backs getting forward to give us some width. Drury did that very well despite it not really being his game; so did Spillane when he played at right back. Russell Martin seems a solid defender to me but not to offer much going forward. Rose (admittedly on just one viewing) just looks like a clogger.

The problem with changing it, though, is that it is difficult to see how changing to 4-4-2 could utilise our best players. The only way I could see it happening would be to drop Chris Martin, which I would be very loath to do. Shyster, I don''t think it is as simple as ''some pace on the right''. Would you put Hoolahan on the left, where all he achieves is to completely unbalance the team? Or would you put him in the middle, which would put all the defensive duties on to Russell''s shoulders. A midfield of McNamee - Hoolahan - Russell - mythical pacy right winger seems far too lightweight, even for this league, and asking for trouble. Or would you put him up front, in which case do you leave Martin out.

Having said all that, I would be tempted to freshen things up for Tuesday. Assuming Russell is available, I would go for a midfield of McNamee, Russell, Hughes, Smith, with Hoolahan and Holt up front. Marting needs a kick up the arse after Saturday and Lappin needs a hot bath and a mug of cocoa. But I don''t see that line-up as superior to the cracked diamond.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Shyster"]The diamond has been polished and will remain a gleaming gem in Lambert''s career - alas, the most precious of those stones are transparent and as with the diamond formation, it''s becoming transparent to the opposition.

[/quote]

So 3 months down the line, we are in a much higher league position and having only lost 2 games you still think you''re in the right? Very strange.

[quote user="Larry David"]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Shyster"]The diamond has been polished and will remain a gleaming gem in Lambert''s career - alas, the most precious of those stones are transparent and as with the diamond formation, it''s becoming transparent to the opposition.Albeit slightly earlier than I predicted/expected, cracks have formed in the diamond - we''ve witnessed major clefts in the seasons second outing against the Cumbrians, where the latter had our formation sussed, and I''m certain the fissuring would prevail in return outings against sides for the rest of the season. Alas, Lambo has partly addressed the situation with the signing of a pacey wide man, but I am still concerned about the lack of pace down the right - call me old fashioned, but I want the option of a 4-4-2 with two nippy out & out flankers who can whip balls into the horse, ''cause there''s no way Holt can keep tracking back in the New Year as he has been doing thus far.Teams in the second half of the season will also stamp out Hoolahan''s effectiveness by sticking a couple of players on him, which is why it''s imperative creativity comes from elsewhere on the pitch, and it is my belief that both wings should be utilised with equal & even pace; not necessarily within the same games where the lone, swift winger may suffice, but we need those options and hopefully Hoolahan on the bench for reversion purposes to maintain the promotion charge.Provided we sell no one in January and sign McNamee & Martin there will surely be no funds for the acquisition of a decent right winger - so do we hope that Whaley comes back and comes back in his present good form? Or do we hope that there''s another player currently in the squad that can cut the mustard in that vital right berth?I sincerely hope that Lambo isn''t relying on one of the youngsters such as Daley.[/quote]

Seriously now - it hurts to be telling you all ''I told you so''.[/quote]

So 3 months down the line, we are in a much higher league position and having only lost 2 games you still think you''re in the right? Very strange.

[/quote]

Why do you use Larry David as your alter ego here?Larry David is extremely witty, intelligent and has little knowledge of the game of football, let alone NCFC.The only thing you have in common with him is the latter.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Larry David"]

[/quote]

Why do you use Larry David as your alter ego here?Larry David is extremely witty, intelligent and has little knowledge of the game of football, let alone NCFC.The only thing you have in common with him is the latter.[/quote]

And please don''t reply to this with your usual multitude of duplicate posts.

Tw@t.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Larry David"]

[/quote]

Why do you use Larry David as your alter ego here?Larry David is extremely witty, intelligent and has little knowledge of the game of football, let alone NCFC.The only thing you have in common with him is the latter.[/quote][:''(] You''re so mean! We played 442 tonight. It was terrible to watch.