Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

What does last night tell us?

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]Last night confirmed that Lambert is tactically naive. No need to explain this statement as others on here last night and today have already and amply done so. I already held the opinion that Lambert was tactically lacking but of course you presented him as being at the pinnacle of tactical nous and man management skills. And his post match interview was cringe-makingly emotive. Dear oh dear. That having been said, let''s hope he learns from his mistakes and secures a home win against Swindon on Saturday as he surely must.[/quote]

What is the alternative Bob?  That wonderful pinnacle of tactical nous and man management skills Bryan Gunn???

Maybe Lambert was found wanting last night.  I am one of his biggest fans but was one of the first to admit that Lambert should of made changes around the 70 min mark last night.

We all make mistakes Bob and sadly I think that the biggest mistake Lambert may make, is him not standing firm enough against those in the Boardroom to back his visions for the type of team he wishes to build here by supporting him in the transfer market.  Our bench was hardly filled with quality players who would of made the difference required last night where as Leeds had enough in reserve to put the pressure on towards the end of the game when it mattered.

[/quote]

Spot on Smudger. Leeds had injuries and brought in two quality loanees. We had injuries and went with what we had.

Yes you are right and have a right to have your say,the keeper did very well ,but his kicking was not good all night and he should have been replaced if he had a back problem.I thought our performance was fantastic,I would have risked putting on Mc Donald at some point in the later stages of the second half.Holt was excellent but needs better support.Cant wait for the next game looks like its going to be a very Interesting season we are getting better.Anyone remember the game at carrow road years back when Keelan was kicking the ball out and it hit a defenders back and went in the net!!.

I''d be perfectly happy to stay in league 1 frankly if the quality of match witnessed last night was an every week thing. However, two problems exist of course;

1) Our best players will leave if we don''t get promoted

2) There are some poor teams in League 1 that are nowhere near as entertaining to watch as Leeds.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]Last night confirmed that Lambert is tactically naive. No need to explain this statement as others on here last night and today have already and amply done so. I already held the opinion that Lambert was tactically lacking but of course you presented him as being at the pinnacle of tactical nous and man management skills. And his post match interview was cringe-makingly emotive. Dear oh dear. That having been said, let''s hope he learns from his mistakes and secures a home win against Swindon on Saturday as he surely must.[/quote]

What is the alternative Bob?  That wonderful pinnacle of tactical nous and man management skills Bryan Gunn???

Maybe Lambert was found wanting last night.  I am one of his biggest fans but was one of the first to admit that Lambert should of made changes around the 70 min mark last night.

We all make mistakes Bob and sadly I think that the biggest mistake Lambert may make, is him not standing firm enough against those in the Boardroom to back his visions for the type of team he wishes to build here by supporting him in the transfer market.  Our bench was hardly filled with quality players who would of made the difference required last night where as Leeds had enough in reserve to put the pressure on towards the end of the game when it mattered.

[/quote]

Up until Forster''s injury time error, we looked like the side capable of taking all three points.

Lambert was right not to ring the changes.
[/quote]

What a load of rubbish Shyster.

Leeds had at least 3 or 4 great chances to go 2-1 up in the last 15 mins.  From the moment that Leeds brought Kandol and Gradel on it was one way traffic for them and if you couldn''t see the danger of them snatching all 3 points unless Lambert made changes then I truly do despair!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Up until Forster''s injury time error, we looked like the side capable of taking all three points.

[/quote]

Leeds had at least 3 or 4 great chances to go 2-1 up in the last 15 mins.  From the moment that Leeds brought Kandol and Gradel on it was one way traffic for them and if you couldn''t see the danger of them snatching all 3 points unless Lambert made changes then I truly do despair!

[/quote]

Trust in Lambert...........I do!

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Yes.

One hopes that he will soon feel secure enough - by dint of performance and demonstrated potential - to stand up and make demannds of the board like Worthy did in his earlier years.

OTBC

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Spot on Smudger. Leeds had injuries and brought in two quality loanees. We had injuries and went with what we had.

[/quote]

Exactly, well said Beau... [Y]

As you rightly say, Leeds have a couple of injuries and bring in Sam Vokes and Max Gradel on loan while we are scrapping around offering derisory amounts for Danny Seaborne.

If Lambert does not stand up to those in the boardroom and encourage them to back his plans for building a SQUAD which will see us promoted then I see all of his hard work so far being undone and Foulger, Smith & Jones making out that Lambert and McNally are to blame (as Gunny seems to be doing this morning with his little dig at McNally).

[quote user="In Lambert I Trust"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Trust in Lambert...........I do!

[/quote]

Do you trust that he will stand up to those in the boardroom ensuring that he is backed in the transfer market though WIZ? [:^)]

[quote user="Smudger"]Do you trust that he will stand up to those in the boardroom ensuring that he is backed in the transfer market though WIZ? [:^)]

[/quote]

Yes mate, I think he would, but he''ll walk to prove it![:(]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Smudger"]Do you trust that he will stand up to those in the boardroom ensuring that he is backed in the transfer market though WIZ? [:^)]

[/quote]

Yes mate, I think he would, but he''ll walk to prove it![:(]

[/quote]

Well if he has to walk to prove it then he should get on with doing it then in my opinion, or is he trying to ensure we have enough points to stay in this league prior to the end of January first do you think?

I agree that I can''t see the board backing him no matter what and that if he stands up for the good of NCFC then he is likely to find himself out of work for a while as a result.

I am sure if he plays his cards right though that there would be no shortage of new employers for him.

Thing is if he times it wrong and because of a limited squad we go on a bad run of results then many of our numb nuts fans will not mind if Lambet walks.

It is quite obvious to see that he is unlikely to be backed and that any players he brings in will need to be financed by selling the likes of Hoolahan, Doherty or Russell and possibly you can now add Gill and Tudor Jones to that list.  I think he is going to find it extremely difficult to improve our squad when he has to let players go in the other direction.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Up until Forster''s injury time error, we looked like the side capable of taking all three points.Lambert was right not to ring the changes.[/quote]

[/quote]

Slight exaggeration there, Smudger, more like three half chances and a ''good'' chance of going in front, but we were countering really well and nothing on the subs bench would''ve given us fresh impetus nor prevented Forster''s error.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree.  Goals win games but so do benches, even in League 1.

[quote user="Shyster"]Slight exaggeration there, Smudger, more like three half chances and a ''good'' chance of going in front, but we were countering really well and nothing on the subs bench would''ve given us fresh impetus nor prevented Forster''s error.[/quote]Completely wrong. Every time Cody comes off the bench he makes things happen. Yes he''s raw & yes his first touch can let him down, but he can score goals out of nothing & will chase lost causes, putting pressure on their defence & creating chances for others.While we were pressing them back Curo might have been the better option, but once their subs. came on & Leeds started to push forward, that was the time to introduce Cody.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Bit of a contradiction here Smudger.

With hindsight I too thought the manager should have made changes, but, if what you say here is true it wouldn''t have made any difference, would it?

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Slight exaggeration there, Smudger, more like three half chances and a ''good'' chance of going in front, but we were countering really well and nothing on the subs bench would''ve given us fresh impetus nor prevented Forster''s error.
[/quote]

I don''t think it is an exaggeration.  We offered nothing in countering during that period, I can''t even recall us having a shot on target for the entire 2nd half despite all of our possesion we enjoyed for a good 25 min spell.  Leeds had as many chances in the last 10 or 15 mins than we had in the entire match and although I agree we had very limited options on the bench to not change things at that stage was only going to see on winner.  I have however mentioned that the couple of injuries we had and the refusal of our board members to so far back Lambert in the transfer market played in to Leeds hands also.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

With hindsight I too thought that the manager should have made changes, but, if what you say here is true it wouldn''t have made any difference. No harm would have been done by leaving the starting line-up intact for the whole match.

Even the best managers in the world make mistakes. I am sure Lambert has watched the game again and seen he should have bought on gill in the 70th along with say cody for Martin to give their back 4 some pace to fear. So far i think Lambert has made very good substitutions... last night he gambled and keeping it how it was and lost. It happens.Roll on Swindon and roll on a Chrissy Martin double to send the Robins flying for cover!

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

With hindsight I too thought that the manager should have made changes, but, if what you say here is true it wouldn''t have made any difference. No harm would have been done by leaving the starting line-up intact for the whole match.

[/quote]

This is the real issue that I have with Lambert at the moment.

He is obviously being told that he has no money to spend and it is time both him and those in the boardroom were straight with the fans about that.

We will see nobody coming in unless players are sold and Lambert has already been prevented in signing two players he felt could improve our squad.  Of course we are unlikely to hear the truth behind those two failed deals because that is not the way things are done these days is it???

We had to sit and listen to Lambert tell us only last week how we were spoilt for options in midfield.  If we were so spoilt for options then why was Adyemi left on the bench last night while we did not see that wonderful pub footballer Matty Gill until the 92nd minute?

[quote user="The Chirp"]Even the best managers in the world make mistakes.

I am sure Lambert has watched the game again and seen he should have bought on gill in the 70th along with say cody for Martin to give their back 4 some pace to fear.

So far i think Lambert has made very good substitutions... last night he gambled and keeping it how it was and lost.

It happens.

Roll on Swindon and roll on a Chrissy Martin double to send the Robins flying for cover!
[/quote]

I wouldn''t of brought Gill on, but I believe his 92nd min appearance may of been in hope that he could do something so that Lambert could send him back to Exeter???

Seeing as we are blessed in the centre midfield department though, I am left wondering why Lambert (who claims that the board are not stifling his interest in the transfer market) left it until the 92nd min to change a midfield that was getting over ran since Leed introduction of Gradel in the 74th min???

He can''t have it both ways!

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="The Chirp"]Even the best managers in the world make mistakes. I am sure Lambert has watched the game again and seen he should have bought on gill in the 70th along with say cody for Martin to give their back 4 some pace to fear. So far i think Lambert has made very good substitutions... last night he gambled and keeping it how it was and lost. It happens.Roll on Swindon and roll on a Chrissy Martin double to send the Robins flying for cover![/quote]

I wouldn''t of brought Gill on, but I believe his 92nd min appearance may of been in hope that he could do something so that Lambert could send him back to Exeter???

Seeing as we are blessed in the centre midfield department though, I am left wondering why Lambert (who claims that the board are not stifling his interest in the transfer market) left it until the 92nd min to change a midfield that was getting over ran since Leed introduction of Gradel in the 74th min???

He can''t have it both ways!

[/quote]The only reason i said this is that Russell was knackered. You could see it when he was marking and turning. We needed a fresh pair of legs to sit infront of te back four to sure us up.

if i had a time machine i would have gone back and got mike milligan... he would have come on, taken one look at Gradel and destroyed him!

[quote user="The Chirp"]if i had a time machine i would have gone back and got mike milligan... he would have come on, taken one look at Gradel and destroyed him!
[/quote]

Ooh blimey Mike Milligan and Matty Gill... two pub players in the same team???

What a horrible thought! [;)]

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

That''s the trouble on here Butler my friend - there has to be someone to blame for everything. Normally for a goal to be scored there will either be individual brilliance or a succession of errors. I guess it''s like the old "tre of causes". I didn''t watch it on TV but I reckon Semmy was the closest player to Beckford. Shold he have been? Or should Doc or Askou been? Should they have been looking? Blame the lot if you so desire but I don''t blame any of the back four. It was the decision to take a goal kick before anyone was ready that cost us the goal. A crazy moment if you like. Forster should have taken as long as he could over that goal kick. He probably should have pushed the referee to the point of giving him a yellow. He should have made sure our whole team was ready. And further more after Beckford missed that chance Lambert should have brought on Cody to chase the ball into the corners to see out the last 2 minutes. After our midfield tired we weren''t going to win the game. We should have taken the point. Forsters mistake was not a poor kick but a poor decision. Blame is harsh on a young player though, because it''s how they gain their experience. He will have learnt from is but for the benefit of Newcastle.

[/quote]

But Nutty, isn''t one of the great things about the team under Lambert that we''re not looking for a draw, even away to Leeds? We were still pushing to win - arguably not the most sensible option but one of the reasons I was proud of our performance, despite the result.
[/quote]

Yes it is one of the great things. And our fans reacted to it and raised the roof. Up until the last 15 minutes we ran Leeds ragged. There was a spell just after the hour mark that we had them on the rack, they looked lost for ideas and we were going for it. Both sets of fans knew it and it looked like we were the only winners and Leeds would be hanging on. But with 15 minutes left it was like someone flicked a switch and turned out the lights on our midfield. This had more to do with tiredness than their substitutions. By the 90th minute it was obvious, to both sets of fans, that Leeds were the only winners and the best we looked like getting was a point. Then the big moment and Beckfords stoppage time miss. We had a goal kick and you could sense all around Elland Road that they had just missed their big chance to win the game. Playing out time from there is not going to Leeds looking for a draw, it''s making sure we got the point that we had deserved to win. You don''t take chances in stoppage time because there''s no way back if you concede....................

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="The Chirp"]if i had a time machine i would have gone back and got mike milligan... he would have come on, taken one look at Gradel and destroyed him! [/quote]

Ooh blimey Mike Milligan and Matty Gill... two pub players in the same team???

What a horrible thought! [;)]

[/quote]haha sometimes i just miss mikey''s love for a challenge!always happy to take a player out, no matter who it was.