Sign in to follow this  
canary cherub

OT: The Ashes

[quote user="Norwich"]Anyone else glad we didn''t declare at 400!!![/quote]

If we''re declared at 400 i think the Aussies would have got that!!

I know it would have been mad but some people had been talking about it. Even getting bowled out! If it wasn''t for Trott & Swann then they would be chasing 400!

yeah it was a great cameo from Swann to push the score on.

Even Broad and Flintoft, they didn''t score a lot, but those 20s were scored in a few minutes and just helped to heighten the Ozzies misery!

[quote user="Downloads"]With so much time left it would have been madness to declare too early.[/quote]I disagree, if Trott hadn''t have been going for his century then I reckon Strauss would have declared around that mark.  I don''t think it would be madness at all, time is only a factor for the draw really.  If Australia bat until lunch tomorrow then they will win the test, all England need is 8 wickets now, and 400 would have been a very tough ask on this pitch, despite what people have been saying out if going flat and slow.

I will be very happy if Ponting and Micheal Clarke are out before tea.I will also be very happy if the weather is nice and sunny tommorow. The weather could come and save the Aussies yet.

You reckon... with the rate they aren''t scoring runs at the moment?

Trott ended up with 119, why didn''t he pull them off when he got the century? 2 and a bit days is enough to bowl a team out and to put on a score which would need a world record to beat.

Also, confidence is a funny thing. If England only had a 400 lead, the Ozzies the put on 80 last night for no wicket lost, who knows how much extra confidence they would have come out with only needing 320 for a win, i think they''ve played it perfectly so far.

But thats life, we all have differing opinions!

In fact potentially if they had have retired earlier, they could have come out needing under 300 to win if we only had a 400 target.

If they then got the runs everyone would have said we declared too early, but if Australia win now, we won''t be moaning about our batting or time, it will just be why the bowlers wern''t good enough.

Yes but you can also bat too long, now I am not saying this is the case in this test match, as I am confident we will skittle the convicts out by the end of the day.  But, Strauss has done it both now and at Lords, and it shows, in my opinion, that he is scared of declaring.  If we had declared with a 400 lead who is to say that Australia would have reached 80-0 at stumps last night?  Cricket is a game played 90% in the head, and if we had set Australia a total which they realistically thought they could chase, then who is to say they wouldn''t have pushed too hard yesterday afternoon in attempt to close the total down?

Would 100% agree that Strauss is scared of declaring, think he''s proved that on a few occasions. And yeah, would agree we would have very likely won anyway!

[quote user="Norwich"]Arrr, so close![/quote]Hmm, no offence but how many of your almost 2000 posts have included more than 5 words....We don''t need a running commentary you know.