Sign in to follow this  
canary cherub

OT: The Ashes

Ok...no need to be quite so rude.  Just try and bring more to the debate, it''s a forum not an MSN chat.

Lunch, 171-2. Pretty happy with that session myself, just need too break this partnership, then I think we will get the rest at a canter.

Ponting looks set for a big score, very relieved that that Trott & Swann came to the party yesterday otherwise it could be a completely different story.

Fred looks like a weary man in his last test match, not the guy we saw at Lords, just going through the motions. Broad and Swann look the men to take the wickets & therefore I am a bit puzzled to why Strauss took Swann off to put on Anderson, who has been below par in this series.

We should start off the next session with Swann & Collingwood (?), see if Colly can get anything out of the pitch with his little off-cutters, if that comes to no avail after 10 or so overs put Broad on.

Anyone else wonder why we dropped Onions? He was our best bowler until he got dropped, we then bring in Harmison (who I don''t rate) who didn''t oferf anything to the attack, but not only that he is flippin'' expensive! Way past his best IMO, and I feel this could be his last test for England.

Who do people think will be player of the series? My dad is saying Broad, but I disagree. He was poor for the first 3 tests and has only come too the party in the last 2. It is a 5 match series not a 2. So therefore, I have to go for Strauss...our most consistent batsman all series and has lead from the front. His captaincy has been questioned during this series but he must be doing something right!

The next big question for the ECB, is what will be the team for the SA series, with Fred going, KP back, Trott doing well, Cook struggling etc.

Here is my team:

Moore - Has been doing well for Worcs for long enough now to stake a claim & with Cook out of sorts...I feel a few weeks at county level will do Cook some good...e.g Strauss.

Strauss - N/A

Trott - If I remember correctly he bats 3 for Warks, and with no.3 being a big question point in our team I feel Trott is the right man for the job...a great fighter who is tough to get out...perfect for no.3 IMO.

Pieterson - Providing he is fit, there is no question he should be in the team.

? - This is the spot I am struggling with, I feel Collingwood is not up to the job but I don''t know anyone from County level that is an established no.5.

Prior - Proved in this series that he is perfectly capable.

Broad - A bit more work on his batting during the break and this guy could be a perfect replacement for Fred, if not better.

Swann - Better than Panesar for the spinner option, and is a better batsman to.

Anderson - Poor in this series, but with a swinging ball he is a real handful.

(?) - Someone instead of Harmison, any ideas?

Onions - Our best fast bowler IMO.

Is that better ncfcstar?

[quote user="Norwich"]Lunch, 171-2. Pretty happy with that session myself, just need too break this partnership, then I think we will get the rest at a canter. Ponting looks set for a big score, very relieved that that Trott & Swann came to the party yesterday otherwise it could be a completely different story. Fred looks like a weary man in his last test match, not the guy we saw at Lords, just going through the motions. Broad and Swann look the men to take the wickets & therefore I am a bit puzzled to why Strauss took Swann off to put on Anderson, who has been below par in this series. [/quote]

[;)]

Why do I get the feeling that we are the only side in the world that will lose from this position.I can see Ponting, Hussey and Clarke getting Australia to victory. We dont even look like getting a wicket!If the boot was on the other foot and we looked down and out wickets would be going every 20-30 minutes and we would just give up the ashes. We are a bloody nightmare.

Australia will win the ashes, Nasser after telling us for days that the forecast is good and he now tells us a few showers tommorow. That means it will piss down all day.If not I see them reaching the total. Our bowlers look absolutely clueless not even heard a shout since the 2 wickets. I think Australia will get to the total or the rain will come with wickets in hand.What a complete joke we are as a country in sport!

A bit of rain wouldn''t be the end of the world for us. There is a theory that the shower on Friday lunchtime made the wicket a little sticky, contributing to Broads great spell in the afternoon session.

[quote user="Norwich"]Lunch, 171-2. Pretty happy with that session myself, just need too break this partnership, then I think we will get the rest at a canter.

Ponting looks set for a big score, very relieved that that Trott & Swann came to the party yesterday otherwise it could be a completely different story.

Fred looks like a weary man in his last test match, not the guy we saw at Lords, just going through the motions. Broad and Swann look the men to take the wickets & therefore I am a bit puzzled to why Strauss took Swann off to put on Anderson, who has been below par in this series.

We should start off the next session with Swann & Collingwood (?), see if Colly can get anything out of the pitch with his little off-cutters, if that comes to no avail after 10 or so overs put Broad on.

Anyone else wonder why we dropped Onions? He was our best bowler until he got dropped, we then bring in Harmison (who I don''t rate) who didn''t oferf anything to the attack, but not only that he is flippin'' expensive! Way past his best IMO, and I feel this could be his last test for England.

Who do people think will be player of the series? My dad is saying Broad, but I disagree. He was poor for the first 3 tests and has only come too the party in the last 2. It is a 5 match series not a 2. So therefore, I have to go for Strauss...our most consistent batsman all series and has lead from the front. His captaincy has been questioned during this series but he must be doing something right!

The next big question for the ECB, is what will be the team for the SA series, with Fred going, KP back, Trott doing well, Cook struggling etc.

Here is my team:

Moore - Has been doing well for Worcs for long enough now to stake a claim & with Cook out of sorts...I feel a few weeks at county level will do Cook some good...e.g Strauss.

Strauss - N/A

Trott - If I remember correctly he bats 3 for Warks, and with no.3 being a big question point in our team I feel Trott is the right man for the job...a great fighter who is tough to get out...perfect for no.3 IMO.

Pieterson - Providing he is fit, there is no question he should be in the team.

? - This is the spot I am struggling with, I feel Collingwood is not up to the job but I don''t know anyone from County level that is an established no.5.

Prior - Proved in this series that he is perfectly capable.

Broad - A bit more work on his batting during the break and this guy could be a perfect replacement for Fred, if not better.

Swann - Better than Panesar for the spinner option, and is a better batsman to.

Anderson - Poor in this series, but with a swinging ball he is a real handful.

(?) - Someone instead of Harmison, any ideas?

Onions - Our best fast bowler IMO.

Is that better ncfcstar?[/quote]Yes a lot better well done, actually gives us something to talk about doesn''t it.Like I said earlier, I still think a target of 400 would have been plenty, and I still think Strauss is a bit of a bottler when it comes to declaring on time.  Swann''s innings certainly would have crushed the convicts confidence a bit more, but whether it is really that important at the end of the game is by the by, I think had we declared earlier we may well have seen some wickets tumble last night.I don''t agree that Anderson has been below par, he was out best bowler in the first few tests, and still our second leading wicket taker, he deserves his chance here, and you can''t bowl Broad for a whole session otherwise he would be ineffective later in the game.  I was surprised Onions was dropped, but Harmison is one of the leading wicket takers in county cricket this season and the Oval would usually be a pitch that he would excel on.  A fully fit, fully confident Harmison is still one of the best bowlers in the world, and is not past his best in my opinion.  His confidence took a knock in the 06/07 Ashes, and he''s struggled to come back from it, but who can forget his spell in the Windies in 04/05??Not a chance that Broad is player of the series, did your dad see the first three tests?  If I was to pick anyone, it would have to be Michael Clarke, but if you are looking for an Englishman then it has to be Strauss.  The only player to consistently get runs, in a series where Australia have dominated us in the stats, but look like they will lose.The tour of South Africa is an interesting one.  Trott won''t bat at 3, they won''t make the mistake of putting an inexperienced test match player in there again.  He has definitely staked his claim for a spot in the side though.  I think Bopara will come back in, and will probably bat at 5, and may take Colly''s place.  People forget that he is a half decent bowler as well, and while we may miss Colly''s athleticism in the field, that shouldn''t guarantee his place in the test team.  Cook will not be dropped, he is probably a future captain, and they won''t just put someone in at number 1 or 2 who hasn''t played in tests before.  Joe Denly might get a call up to the squad, but I doubt he will play.  Harmison should travel, and I think Onions will as well, he could do well in SA, somewhere where line bowlers thrive.  We will probably take Panesar as another option.  Maybe someone like Trego from Somerset might get a chance as well.

Collingwood needs to go and get some glue on his fingers. Dropped 3 now. Match would almost be over if he wasn''t such a clutz!Reckon with Trotts innings and Collingwoods catching the selecters job has became a lot easier next match!Why do they not put him out on the boundary and bring somebody in there that can actually catch a ball!

Ooops kiss of death about Colly''s fielding 3 decent chances gone begging!!!

On Anderson, I agree that he was very good for the first 2 games but he got the ball too wing then. When it is not swinging he looks like a lost sole and doesn''t look like taking any wickets whatsoever, he needs another attribute to get batsmen out when its not swinging. At very least he should be keeping it tight but can''t really do that at the moment.

I was obviously wrong about Trott, I just thought he could be a good bet.

Cook - He is really struggling with his technique at the moment and is basically a walking wicket. He needs time out of the international pressure, maybe Key that would add a bit of experience?

WICKET!!! :D

Harmison - Same as Anderson IMO, when the pitch isn''t doing much and isn''t quick and bouncy he really doesn''t look like taking wickets. His once deadly slower ball is now being used less and less which is disappointing to see, he needs another wicket taking delivery like Anderson.

England are never ruthless enough with player selection. They always favour continuity over change, even when that means sticking with four or five long term out-of-form batsmen. Continuity is the reason we are always crap. In the future I would like to see England have two spinners in the line-up: Adil Rashid and Graeme Swann. The future seamers are a real worry. Harmison is a terrific bowler, but clearly needs a lot of bowling to find his rhythm, and doesn''t get it while with England. The only other genuine quick we have is Sajid Mahmood, and he has a somewhat scatter-gun approach to bowling. The selectors are likely to go with Sidebottom, not sure I would, but I can''t make a better sugestion either. Stephen Moore would be a great addition to the batting line-up. He has a similar first-class average to Jonathan Trott (41.05 v 44.31), despite being an opener, and as a fellow South African he may also help provide more confidence/belief/arrogance (delete as appropriate). Robert Key is a decent batsman with a decent average, although has already had a spell in the England team and didn''t partiularly set the world alight. He is, however, the best captain in the country and could be given a place for this alone. But it won''t happen. Andy Flower doesn''t like him. They had an argument and now don''t get on. Robert Key is nobodies yes-man, and that will preclude him from the team. Joe Denly gets regularly gets mentioned for England, but is still too green. Michael Carberry, Eoin Morgan, Jamie Dalrymple, Ed Joyce, and serial failure Owais Shah may be other out-side candidates.

Oh yeah, completely forgot about Sid, he is a must IMO. He is like Anderson but gets the ball on the stumps 4/5 times an over and creates pressure. He also has the Fred type of personality which gets the crowd going (nowhere near as much as Fred though) and goes crazy when he takes a wicket. Unfairly not got back into the team since his niggling injury and surely deserves another chance?

Colly ''Wobbler'' bowling, good choice IMO. His off-cutters should be hard to deal with on this track.

I think we can put runs out of the equation and just put out a really attacking field & make this the last session of the series!