Sign in to follow this  
canary cherub

OT: The Ashes

[quote user="Snakepit boys"]Cause I am happy, just years of watching us lose![:''(]I hope to hell we dont throw this away or we will never hear the end of it!

[/quote]I know exactly how you feel. England teams never inspire confidence and never win anything. We''ve never won a cricket World Cup or any other major international prize. Are the Ashes really a major prize? Is our sole objective really only to beat the Aussies? Quite pathetic when you think about it.

[quote user="Penfold"][quote user="Snakepit boys"]Cause I am happy, just years of watching us lose![:''(]I hope to hell we dont throw this away or we will never hear the end of it!

[/quote]I know exactly how you feel. England teams never inspire confidence and never win anything. We''ve never won a cricket World Cup or any other major international prize. Are the Ashes really a major prize? Is our sole objective really only to beat the Aussies? Quite pathetic when you think about it.[/quote]

No offense, but, come off it!

Come on! we are close now.[:D]How nice would it be if we could actually go there next time and win the Ashes? Would certainly hope for better than the last few times!

[quote user="Norwich"][quote user="Penfold"][quote user="Snakepit boys"]Cause I am happy, just years of watching us lose![:''(]I hope to hell we dont throw this away or we will never hear the end of it!

[/quote]I know exactly how you feel. England teams never inspire confidence and never win anything. We''ve never won a cricket World Cup or any other major international prize. Are the Ashes really a major prize? Is our sole objective really only to beat the Aussies? Quite pathetic when you think about it.[/quote]

No offense, but, come off it![/quote]What''s the biggest prize: the world cup or the Ashes?

[quote user="Gabriel_Jacoby"]I would rather win the Ashes every single time.[/quote]That''s my point exactly. Our sole objective seems to be getting one over on Australia rather that focusing on the global prize. I love the Ashes too, it''s certainly the greatest test series, but I also look at the bigger picture.

The bigger picture? a one day competition that has been running for a little over 35 years or a fabulous test series against our rivals that''s been going for over 100 years? There is no comparison there, sorry.

[quote user="Norwich"]Whats the bigger game: test cricket, 50 over?[/quote]That depends who you ask that question to. In England and Australia it''s test cricket. In Asia it''s 50 over and rapidly 20/20.

[quote user="Penfold"][quote user="Norwich"][quote user="Penfold"][quote user="Snakepit boys"]Cause I am happy, just years of watching us lose![:''(]I hope to hell we dont throw this away or we will never hear the end of it!

No offense, but, come off it![/quote]What''s the biggest prize: the world cup or the Ashes?[/quote]The Ashes clearly.  The Cricket World Cup is hardly relevant seeing as it''s the 50 over version of the game, if you are going to mention that you may as well involve the T20 World Cup as well.

[quote user="Gabriel_Jacoby"]The bigger picture? a one day competition that has been running for a little over 35 years or a fabulous test series against our rivals that''s been going for over 100 years? There is no comparison there, sorry. [/quote]My point isn''t really about the game being played it''s about us being insular.

ncfcstar, in case you missed it, here is my post in response to yours earlier:

Ooops kiss of death about Colly''s fielding 3 decent chances gone begging!!!

On Anderson, I agree that he was very good for the first 2 games but he got the ball too wing then. When it is not swinging he looks like a lost sole and doesn''t look like taking any wickets whatsoever, he needs another attribute to get batsmen out when its not swinging. At very least he should be keeping it tight but can''t really do that at the moment.

I was obviously wrong about Trott, I just thought he could be a good bet.

Cook - He is really struggling with his technique at the moment and is basically a walking wicket. He needs time out of the international pressure, maybe Key that would add a bit of experience?

WICKET!!! :D

Harmison - Same as Anderson IMO, when the pitch isn''t doing much and isn''t quick and bouncy he really doesn''t look like taking wickets. His once deadly slower ball is now being used less and less which is disappointing to see, he needs another wicket taking delivery like Anderson.

[quote user="Norwich"]Whats the bigger game: test cricket, 50 over?[/quote]

An interesting question.  In this country and Australia there is no contest - Test Cricket is the gold standard and loved most by the ''real'' cricket fan.  Fifty over cricket was, and to a degree still is, big in the Indian sub-continent, but twenty20 is changing that all now.

There is a strong possibility that 50 over cricket is dead, as the focus shifts to twenty20 for the ''quick-fix'' excitement and test cricket for the real deal.

BTW England have just got two more wickets as I''ve been writing.  We''re there now and it will be tonight.  Excellent.

Lets all sing the Barmy army song!!!Everywhere we goThe people want to knowWho we areWhere we come fromShall we tell themWho we areWhere we come fromWe are the EnglandThe Mighty Mighty EnglandWe are the ArmyThe Barmy Barmy ArmyBarmy Army Barmy Army Barmy Army x 100

Everywhere we go x2

The people want to know x2

Who we are x2

Where we come from x2

Shall we tell them x2

Who we are x2

Where we come from x2

We are the England x2

The Mighty Mighty England x2

We are the Army x2

The Barmy Barmy Army x2

Barmy Army Barmy Army Barmy Army x 100

[quote user="Norwich"]Everywhere we go x2

The people want to know x2

Who we are x2

Where we come from x2

Shall we tell them x2

Who we are x2

Where we come from x2

We are the England x2

The Mighty Mighty England x2

We are the Army x2

The Barmy Barmy Army x2

Barmy Army Barmy Army Barmy Army x 100[/quote]Norwich,I think your version is better[:P]

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS