Sign in to follow this  
ncfc4life

ot: aviva plymouth advert

Slightly off topic but i suppose they are our sponsors. Anyway has anyone seen this advert aviva have started showing which features plymouth fans. Its pretty funny link to it here if anyone wants to see it-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tuVGST_1gE

suprised they diddnt use us as they can easily take the piss out of our accents and they are our sponsors aswell

When I saw it I thought thank God they didnt choose us. I find it it cringingly embarrassing.

Paul Whitehouse ( i think its his name from the fast show) is a Plymouth fan, its him with make up and a face mask on.

The cost of driving from Plymouth to Newcastle is greater than here to Newcastle so the money he is saving yada yada haha

I think they definitely should have used us! We''re far enough out so have to drive for ages and have accents they could''ve mocked, plus they sponsor us ;] Its not like we don''t need to worry about Norfolk stereotyping on tv, I don''t think a week goes by without a Norfolk gag on shows like Mock the Week, 8 out of 10 cats etc. Surely we''re all used to it by now :P

That is sooooo my mate! A proper Janner in a different green shirt everyday. It even sounded like him! So good on PW for getting the accent right. (Now someone will tell me he''s actually from Plymouth) Made me bloody laugh though.

Its getting a mixed reception on the Plymouth forum,

Some like it and some think it enforces a negative stereotype.

One guy thinks he sounds more Bristol than Plymouth, so its not just us that gets upset about incorrect accents.

Apparently its been picked up by Sunderland fans who love the fact that Plymouth are playing Newcastle.

[quote user="johnjohnjohnnyjohn"]I think they definitely should have used us! We''re far enough out so have to drive for ages and have accents they could''ve mocked, plus they sponsor us ;] Its not like we don''t need to worry about Norfolk stereotyping on tv, I don''t think a week goes by without a Norfolk gag on shows like Mock the Week, 8 out of 10 cats etc. Surely we''re all used to it by now :P[/quote]

Judging from Kingdon there aren''t any actors who can actually do a Norfolk accent. I''ve never heard such poor attempts!

[quote user="Beauseant"] 

Judging from Kingdon there aren''t any actors who can actually do a Norfolk accent. I''ve never heard such poor attempts!

[/quote]Yarrrr me harrrties, I''m from Norfolk, pieces of eight, shiver me timbers, yarrrrr.....

A mate of mine is one of the guys who helped come up with that campaign, I did ask him at the time why didn''t they choose Norwich but he said it was simply because it''s the longest distance a supporter can travel, kind of glad they didn''t use us anyway, the accent would probably still be a west country one anyway.

[quote user="johnjohnjohnnyjohn"]I think they definitely should have used us! We''re far enough out so have to drive for ages and have accents they could''ve mocked, plus they sponsor us ;] Its not like we don''t need to worry about Norfolk stereotyping on tv, I don''t think a week goes by without a Norfolk gag on shows like Mock the Week, 8 out of 10 cats etc. Surely we''re all used to it by now :P[/quote]

Yep. A11 and A12 the longest cul-de-sacs in England !

But surely part of their name change was to break the association with Norwich Union and a specific local area - would send out mixed signals to use us in their advertising campaign. And possibly (tho not likely I admit [:)]) they are more sensitive to causing offence to people in this area for this reason? Just a thought [:)] 

Perhaps I''m being sensitive but I was already pretty offended by their name change advert.

[quote user="Bob Franklin"]Perhaps I''m being sensitive but I was already pretty offended by their name change advert.[/quote]

Well, exactly, that''s my point; I imagine they know how people feel and don''t wish to exacerbate the situation. A possibility?