Sign in to follow this  
Super Shaun Carey

Huckerby and his I-Pod!

[quote]Huckerby in Greens this morning with his trusty I Pod on full blast. His music of choice this morning was none other than soul legend James Brown Discuss.............[/quote]

seems the great man can do no wrong, what a great taste in music, also it''s nice to know he downloads lots of tasty tunes like us mere mortals!! 

[quote]I''d rather it was someone like Green Day, Dire Straits, The Kinks, The Beatles, Oasis, Blink182, Jet etc etc (Yes people tell me constantly that I have strange sense to have all those as my favourites...[/quote]

he scored against the ...

but for james brown, you would not have the pleasure of those artists you cherish!

[quote]he scored against the ... but for james brown, you would not have the pleasure of those artists you cherish![/quote]

I cant see what influence james brown had on any of these bands.

greenday were influenced by the clash & the ramones, the kinks by lonnie donegan & early rock n roll, the beatles by chuck berry & early rock n roll, oasis by the beatles, blink 182 by greenday & the cure, jet by ac/dc & the kinks, dire straits by hank marvin & jimi hendrix.

I think the only influence that he had was being under it

rainbow

james brown changed music forever, as did elvis presley, the guys you name such as chuck berry etc were all heavily influenced by JB - as is all of dance music today (and okay, some of the bands mentioned are rock) but they all still came down from african tribal music, then funk a la james brown, via the rolling stones, then bands of today. 

But for JB we would be stuck in the frank sinatra and big band mould of the 40s, black music in the 50s and 60s was a back street thing, until JB and his band made it popular (as did Michael Jackson and Motown in the 70s), i would imagine even paul mcCartney would acknowledge JBs influence

wonder if any of today''s so called stars will still be performing at 70+

doubt it

James Brown invented hip-hop. For the influence behind most of those bands mentioned look towards the King.

"Before Elvis there was nothing" John Lennon

Anyway, back to football...

Sorry, but cannot agree that James Brown invented Hip Hop.

His beats and his songs generally were heavily sampled on 80''s and early 90''s Hip Hop, but he did not invent it. Like artists of his era, he did not invent Hip Hop, but merely enhanced it, and possibly even encouraged it. A massively influential figure in music and although many look to Elvis as the be all and end all of music, the godfather of soul is up there in the same bracket in my opinion.

A great artist, and clearly Huckerby, as we all know, has great taste.

Sorry peter it is a little known fact that Millican & Nesbitt[the singing coalminers] were the fathers of all modern music!!!