Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

IS DOHERTY REALLY A CENTRAL DEFENDER?

How long must we wait before we find out if Doherty is really a central defender?  I cannot see the sense in buying him as a defender and not even playing him in the back four.  Surely Bristol would have been the ideal opportunity to give him a game alongside Charlton.  I believe the time is right to perhaps rest Fleming as he is struggling to keep up with the Premiership pace.  I would love to see some changes before the Pompey game and my team would be:

Green

Edworthy, Doherty, Charlton, Drury

McKenzie, Safri, Francis, McVeigh,

Jonson, Huckerby

Subs:  Ward, Fleming, Helveg, Bentley, Jarvis

Playing this formation we have plenty of players who are fit enough to help defend but also are quick enough to keep up with Huckerby.  Charlton can come up to give height at corners and free kicks.  Safri can spray the ball around and play a little deep and Francis can push up with the forwards. 

Just because Doherty isn''t good enough to play up front doesn''t mean we should drop Fleming just for the sake of keeping him in the team. Wasn''t Fleming one of the back four who kept clean sheets against Spurs and Villa. I don''t think Fleming has played badly at all. In fact, I think the problem is the midfied persistently conceding possession.

the defence has been the success so far, as Bayern says it is giving the ball away too cheaply were a lot of the problems stem.

My missus listened to the game on sat... as I was at anfield.. she said to me that they ought to make a jingle especially for city games.. as she lost count of the times she heard..

"Gary Holt has given the ball away"

[quote]How long must we wait before we find out if Doherty is really a central defender? I cannot see the sense in buying him as a defender and not even playing him in the back four. Surely Bristol would h...[/quote]

Mckenzie on the right wing?

Just drop Doherty and try McKenzie or Jonson with Huckerby but keep the ball on the ground and play passing football, we know we can do it.

i keep saying it but with huckerby playing just behind leon and jonson , there will be goals a plenty

Silver Fox - drop Fleming as he has struggled and Charlton up for corners to use his height.  Have you seen City play this season, suggest you either watch them or get a brain!

In reply to Steve White, yes I have seen Norwich play this season and I also saw every home game last season, and the season''s before.  I stand by my comment that I believe Fleming is struggling in the centre of defence, especially when you compare him with Charlton.  I am not saying that Fleming is a bad player, I actually voted for him as my player of the season last year.

Doherty like Charlton has played in defence for a Premiership side and, therefore, has a distinct advantage over Fleming who is still finding his feet.  What I am saying is let us see what Doherty is like in that position if we did buy him primarily as a central defender.  If you have been watching Norwich recently surely you must have noticed how good Charlton is in the air for a small defender. 

Finally, once again I see we have attracted small minded and childish posters on this board who feel they have to make petty comments about individuals, just because they express their own views.  I often disagree with other posters on this board, but having a brain, I try and make constructive comments.

Long time since I''ve made a contribution but I couldn''t let this go by without intervention

My mate Ken has been, & still is, a lifelong season ticket holder at Spurs

He phoned me the day after we signed Doherty just to let me know that we had bought a dud

Now Ken, for all his other faults, knows his football and if he says Doherty is no good the in all honestly, he''s probably worse than that, given Ken''s tendency to be over generous in his comments

From what I''ve seen, Doherty definitely ain''t no striker

From what Ken says, he definitely ain''t no Premiership footballer - that''s why Spurs got rid of him

Your mate Ken may well be correct, but perhaps Doherty did not fit in at Spurs.  Most of the time Worthy''s signings are good value, so he must have had a good look at Doherty.  Until we actually see him in the back four we cannot make a judgement. 

The good thing about football is that we all have different opinions on players.  I was never a big fan of Daryl Sutch, but I sit next to a supporter who has been watching Norwich for the last 40 years, and he believes that Daryl Sutch is one of the finest defenders to have ever played in a Norwich shirt.

a good point silver fox. may i remind Ken, that had he been a Norwich fan with a friend who was a stoke fan a while ago, a conversation with his friend might have gone somthing like:

"hello mate, i''ve just heard you''ve signed Mike Sheron from us. Ha ha ha, you muppets, he''s a proper donkey."

The rest, as they say...

...Mike Sheron went on to form what could still be regarded as one of division 1s most feared strike partnerships ever with Dean Sturridge.

Any more examples of players that were pure poo for one club and absolutely electric for another?

Danny Mills perhaps - although "electric" might be taking things a bit far!

To A1 Canary & Silver Fox - time will tell my friends, time will tell

Worthy only bought him because he was cheap (but not cheap enough), available & from Northern Ireland - even the best Managers get it wrong sometimes - no doubt Hamilton recommended him - they all stick together you know

I fancy he''ll be gone in January, Doherty that is, not Worthy

Special message for Steve White  -  I did go to the game today as usual, and correct me if I am wrong but did a certain Simon Charlton score the equaliser with a header in their box, and get man of the match.  Now I wonder which one of us has a brain and perhaps does know a little about football.