Sign in to follow this  
bringbackchippy

Striker!

[quote user="Soldier on"]Hasn''t bring back chippy posted reliable transfer news previously???[/quote]

Yes.

Hope so.

Chippy has been right before, I''m sure.

Can''t think if it has been done before, but who would people have Holt or Lee?

[quote user="Soldier on"]Interesting holt and the Serb with cureton, mcdonald & martin is a nice mix[/quote]

Agree!

Would be good, but can someone let me know please what has he got right in the past?

Has the Serb got pace? We need whaley to sign as we are still badly lacking pace in our side otsemobor apart

That''s assuming he is a he of course and not a she!!  I was just thinking that the whole Grant Holt thing had gone quiet.  I would cetainly be quite happy with this; he has good knowledge of these leagues and seems up for a battle.

[quote user="Canaries in Bed"]

[quote user="Soldier on"]Interesting holt and the Serb with cureton, mcdonald & martin is a nice mix[/quote]

Agree!

[/quote]

Take him out of the mix [Y]

I think either player is the kind we should try and buy.

Gunn said today on CW that that there had been some movement on the Clingan/Russell transfers.

Once those are settled and we know what our budget is I expect us to try and add some quality, especially up front.

People might think we have too many players in various positions but with 7 subs this year you need a min of 2-3 strikers on the bench.

----------------Theoklitos--------------New RB--Doherty--Nelson--Drury--Whaley-------Adeyemi------Lappin----------------Hoolahan-----------------------Holt---------------Martin----

Are you sure this is not Gary "3-lungs" Holt?

Returning to be with his budies at the Old Boys Network FC.

[quote user="sig"]Anyone heard anymore about this?  Cam, weren''t Colchester interested in him?[/quote]

Yes we were but they would not allow us to approach him as he is under contract.  According to the club (and the player) no other club has approached Shrewsbury Town for permission to speak (or as of Thursday anyway).  The player says the Chairman and the Manager both told him they were not prepared to release him.  I believe his contract has two years to run.

You could try offering £500k and see what happens................

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="sig"]Anyone heard anymore about this?  Cam, weren''t Colchester interested in him?[/quote]

Yes we were but they would not allow us to approach him as he is under contract.  According to the club (and the player) no other club has approached Shrewsbury Town for permission to speak (or as of Thursday anyway).  The player says the Chairman and the Manager both told him they were not prepared to release him.  I believe his contract has two years to run.

[/quote]

How much did Colchester bid?

[quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Absolutely no idea.  Their Chairman is on record as saying a minimum bid for them to even think about it would be around £400k but, financially, they don''t need to sell.  We could go to £400k or beyond so maybe our valuation let us down.

But Shrewsbury press office this week said ours was the only approach so far and the player says he has not been informed of any other approaches.

I wonder what Grant wants?  If a team like Norwich were interested then could we see the famous ''Transfer Request'' from the player, thus indicating his head''s been turned and the selling club desperate to get as much money as they can for the deal.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

Would your assistant manager''s comments about Platt remaining where he is indicate that any deal with Holt is dead in the water?  Or, as was suggested in a previous thread, 400k would be enough to buy Platt, as that''s what is needed to buy Holt?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Absolutely no idea.  Their Chairman is on record as saying a minimum bid for them to even think about it would be around £400k but, financially, they don''t need to sell.  We could go to £400k or beyond so maybe our valuation let us down.

But Shrewsbury press office this week said ours was the only approach so far and the player says he has not been informed of any other approaches.

[/quote]

Cam, could your assistant manager''s comments about Platt not being for sale mean that the Holt deal is dead in the water?  Or, as has been suggested in a previous thread on here, that 400K would be enough to buy Platt from Colchester, as that will be enough for Colchester to buy Holt?

[quote user="sig"]I wonder what Grant wants?  If a team like Norwich were interested then could we see the famous ''Transfer Request'' from the player, thus indicating his head''s been turned and the selling club desperate to get as much money as they can for the deal.[/quote]

I can''t say but Grant is slightly bonkers as in striding round Shrewsbury in his "Dracula" cape and maintaining the family home in Carlisle to which he commutes to and from.

He is allegedly their highest paid player.

This press utterance to the Shropshire Star on July 8:

Shrewsbury striker Grant Holt has shrugged off summer speculation over his future by insisting: “I’m here to get us promoted.”

League One Colchester were strongly linked with a move for last season’s 28-goal hitman and had a bid turned down by the Shrewsbury hierarchy.

Holt has insisted he remains happy at the Prostar Stadium and is aiming to go one step further after last season’s play-off final defeat to Gillingham.

“Colchester put a bid in and it’s very flattering that people are interested in signing you,” said Holt.

“The chairman decided I wasn’t for sale and the manager re-iterated to me over the phone that he doesn’t want me to leave and that’s fine by me.

“I enjoy being at the football club and I’m looking forward to getting going again now.

“I’m here to do the job we wanted to do last season which is get promoted.

“I strongly believe we can do it this year, but only time will tell.”

Meanwhile, Holt is confident he will recover from his close season ankle operation in time to play a part in Town’s first pre-season friendly against Northwich Victoria a week today.

The hard-working forward joined in with fitness work in the three days Shrewsbury spent in England last week, and has continued his progress during pre-season training.

Maybe you will approach him but I''m confident you haven''t yet, Ian in the press office being very straight and reliable on such matters Shrews not having a "we never discuss anything involving players during the transfer season."

Mr. Holt certainly sounds like a colourful character, something the game needs in my opinion!  I take it the last comment suggests that City''s press office is not to forthcoming about transfer matters?!  The thing is bringbackchippy was right before and I wonder why he hasn''t added anything further to this thread.........very mysterious.

Anyway, thanks for the info Cam, good to have you back!