Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

I'm feeling kinda positive now!

Odd thing to say, but with the players we''ve been linked with and who''s still going on the tour, i think we''ll be well equipped next season.Goalies sorted with the aussie guy and 2 of the countries finest young goaliesRight Back is my biggest area of concern, but hopefully from a combo of semmi, Spillane and someone like Ifill that will be sortedLeft Back Drury will be good thereCentre Back Seems well equipped with a choice of Doc, Nelson, Spillane and DejanRight mid Delighted to be linked with Whaley and won''t mind losing Russell to get him we always do well when we do business with preston - Etuhu for Jarrett, selling Chris Brown...Left mid - Hoolahan is still kicking around and i would be delighted to see him stay, lappin has been given a chance and is a player i rate more that the old regime used to, will be useful for set pieces if Clinkers leaves (sorry, when)Centre Mid - hopefully Fozzy, Fatty and Rusty will all be gone, will be sad to see Clinkers leave but Gill and Tudor Jones look good and there''s a few of the youth i''ve been impressed with like Adeyemi...Strikers - We seem to be growing in options up front with Maric joining on trial who looks a good player, Hopefully Lee will arrive and be the big signing this summer as i think he could be vital, we have a revitalised Martin, an adapted Cody Mac and Curo still kicking about who has always scored for fun at this level. I think from a combo of them, we''ll find at least 2 who will do us good.Should be good enough for promotion and then we can hopefully take the momentum with us and get back to where we should be, challenging for promotion to the top flight. maybe it will be Ipswich''s turn to mess up by then.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Odd thing to say, but with the players we''ve been linked with and who''s still going on the tour, i think we''ll be well equipped next season.Goalies sorted with the aussie guy and 2 of the countries finest young goaliesRight Back is my biggest area of concern, but hopefully from a combo of semmi, Spillane and someone like Ifill that will be sortedLeft Back Drury will be good thereCentre Back Seems well equipped with a choice of Doc, Nelson, Spillane and DejanRight mid Delighted to be linked with Whaley and won''t mind losing Russell to get him we always do well when we do business with preston - Etuhu for Jarrett, selling Chris Brown...Left mid - Hoolahan is still kicking around and i would be delighted to see him stay, lappin has been given a chance and is a player i rate more that the old regime used to, will be useful for set pieces if Clinkers leaves (sorry, when)Centre Mid - hopefully Fozzy, Fatty and Rusty will all be gone, will be sad to see Clinkers leave but Gill and Tudor Jones look good and there''s a few of the youth i''ve been impressed with like Adeyemi...Strikers - We seem to be growing in options up front with Maric joining on trial who looks a good player, Hopefully Lee will arrive and be the big signing this summer as i think he could be vital, we have a revitalised Martin, an adapted Cody Mac and Curo still kicking about who has always scored for fun at this level. I think from a combo of them, we''ll find at least 2 who will do us good.Should be good enough for promotion and then we can hopefully take the momentum with us and get back to where we should be, challenging for promotion to the top flight. maybe it will be Ipswich''s turn to mess up by then.[/quote]I dont understand why you and others think that, Drury is awful. I''m willing to bet that he''ll miss at least a quarter of the season through injury, plus when he does play he''s weak. He''s ok defensively but truly awful going forward, he also has no pace something needed for a wing back. He always plays that stupid little chip down the line that always goes to the opposition. Plus he can''t cross for neither love or money.

The OP is a joke, right?For a start, even if I rated the players you mention in their respective positions (and I do some, but not others - it''s starting to resemble another squad in desperate need of loans to add cover and quality) that''s a first XI and nothing more. Who are your chosen deputies? Well? 46 gruelling league games plus the new rule on subs means it''s going to be 100% a squad game this coming season.We''ve not had strength in depth since 2004. Are you suggesting we may see a further 8 players come in this summer? Really? Because that is what is needed for "promotion to be a certainty", to paraphrase your good self.

It sounds like you''ve been blinded by malicious and calculated pro-club propaganda designed to make us feel hopeful and optimistic about the new season. Seriously folks, don''t let them get the better of you! [:P]

Whatever man, the people we''ve signed for next to nothing have given me optimism and the people we get linked with are players i''d be happy to get even if we were in the Championship still. Don''t get me wrong, i''m fuming from the way the club was run which inevitably drove us to relegation, but i think we''ll turn the corner now and i''m delighted of the calibre of players we''re attracting, it seems we haven''t lost the little respect people had for us despite relegation.Bridges is a class act as well and he has been clear of injury a while now. He''d be straight on the back of my shirt if we get him. Although i do remember him from hus Leeds days mainly. I''m gutted to hear about John Hartson tho.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Centre Mid - hopefully Fozzy, Fatty and Rusty will all be gone, will be sad to see Clinkers leave but Gill and Tudor Jones look good and there''s a few of the youth i''ve been impressed with like Adeyemi...[/quote]Just to pull this up in particular - that''s 4 CMs leaving in all likelihood. None Xavi Hernandez but Rusty had running and would play wherever needed, Clingan the creativity and vision (relatively speaking), Fozzy admittedly dire but with at least the ability to pass the ball sideways, and then Fatty who although lacking discipline, was energetic, versatile and useful as wing cover. With the exception of Fozzy (as it looks currently, at least) all will find another home in the Championship, I''d be willing to bet.In their place we have a couple of lower-league battering ram types and, to quote you, "a few youth... like Adeyemi..." . Notice how you tail off with ellipses as if hinting at a wealth of talent just lying around in the Academy, only waiting for the day to be unleashed on an unsuspecting footballing world. I think we know all about the likes of Spillane already, and the jury is totally out on Adeyemi, Lathrope and Smith. I personally don''t believe lightweight adolescents are going to get us out of the brutal agri-culture of League One, anyway, especially not when thrust into the engine room of the team.Have people had their knowledge erased of what is required to challenge over a 46 game season, and of football in general?

Pre-Season optimism - not a good thing because you just get let down season after season.How many people here were thinking postively this time last year??

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Whatever man, the people we''ve signed for next to nothing have given me optimism and the people we get linked with are players i''d be happy to get even if we were in the Championship still. Don''t get me wrong, i''m fuming from the way the club was run which inevitably drove us to relegation, but i think we''ll turn the corner now and i''m delighted of the calibre of players we''re attracting, it seems we haven''t lost the little respect people had for us despite relegation.Bridges is a class act as well and he has been clear of injury a while now. He''d be straight on the back of my shirt if we get him. Although i do remember him from hus Leeds days mainly. I''m gutted to hear about John Hartson tho.[/quote] Easily pleased ,we have signed nobody of note and if we are trying to build a team from scratch people like Alan Lee and Michael Bridges should not be touched with a bargepole , another season of struggle coming up , thats as clear as crystal.

Yes of course, i''d forgetten you''ve seen our new signings play regularly and have obviously been to the future to say how this current season ends for us.

Much as we will miss Clingan, especially defensively and for penalties and free-kicks, I think that if Russell and Clingan leave in exchange for wingers (as has been rumoured) that would leave a well balanced squad, especially if the current trialists, including Bridges and/or Craig) work out well. Trialists and possibles have a ?.

GK Theoklitos, Rudd, Steer
RB Otsemobor, Spillane, Mtandari?
LB Drury, Lappin, Mtandari?, Habergham (Mtandari played RB and LB against Fakenham)
CB Doherty, Nelson, Spillane
CB Stefanovic, Stephens, Dumic, Joarder?
CM Tudur-Jones, Spillane, Smith, Chrysanthou?
CM Gill, Pattison, Adeyemi, Lappin
RM Whaley?, Neilson, Smith, McVeigh?, Lathrope
LM Hoolahan, Parry?, Lappin, Pattison, McVeigh?
S Maric?, Bridges?, Martin, Powell?, Renton, Kelly
S McDonald, Martin, Cureton, McVeigh?, Daley, Craig?

If enough of the triallists work out this could develop into a reasonable squad, with youth players at every position for future development.

One thing we have learn''t from the past couple of seasons is we need to ahve strength in depth.

I will wait until we have some players are signed on our books to form my opinion on how well i think we will do. But I am more positive than previous seasons, It''s good to see we are looking at all posibilities and which playres will suit the club first before we sign them.

[quote user="ScottNcFc"]Pre-Season optimism - not a good thing because you just get let down season after season.

How many people here were thinking postively this time last year??
[/quote]

People easily forget I''m afraid....

I have to admit I am feeling a little underwhelmed with what has happened so far.

Nothing less than automatic promotion will do this season, and there seems to be, once again, a pack of ambition from the club.

I could be wrong and will hold my hand up if I am, but not impressed so far. At all.

[quote user="Big Bob"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Odd thing to say, but with the players we''ve been linked with and who''s still going on the tour, i think we''ll be well equipped next season.Goalies sorted with the aussie guy and 2 of the countries finest young goaliesRight Back is my biggest area of concern, but hopefully from a combo of semmi, Spillane and someone like Ifill that will be sortedLeft Back Drury will be good thereCentre Back Seems well equipped with a choice of Doc, Nelson, Spillane and DejanRight mid Delighted to be linked with Whaley and won''t mind losing Russell to get him we always do well when we do business with preston - Etuhu for Jarrett, selling Chris Brown...Left mid - Hoolahan is still kicking around and i would be delighted to see him stay, lappin has been given a chance and is a player i rate more that the old regime used to, will be useful for set pieces if Clinkers leaves (sorry, when)Centre Mid - hopefully Fozzy, Fatty and Rusty will all be gone, will be sad to see Clinkers leave but Gill and Tudor Jones look good and there''s a few of the youth i''ve been impressed with like Adeyemi...Strikers - We seem to be growing in options up front with Maric joining on trial who looks a good player, Hopefully Lee will arrive and be the big signing this summer as i think he could be vital, we have a revitalised Martin, an adapted Cody Mac and Curo still kicking about who has always scored for fun at this level. I think from a combo of them, we''ll find at least 2 who will do us good.Should be good enough for promotion and then we can hopefully take the momentum with us and get back to where we should be, challenging for promotion to the top flight. maybe it will be Ipswich''s turn to mess up by then.[/quote]I dont understand why you and others think that, Drury is awful. I''m willing to bet that he''ll miss at least a quarter of the season through injury, plus when he does play he''s weak. He''s ok defensively but truly awful going forward, he also has no pace something needed for a wing back. He always plays that stupid little chip down the line that always goes to the opposition. Plus he can''t cross for neither love or money.[/quote]

HE IS NOT A WING BACK, that is what you play if you have no winger and three CB''s normally, and Drury is actually a very good defender, and ok going forwards, and there are about 5 people who rate him anyway, so i don''t understand where the 90% of people on here say about ''all'' the people who rate him.

RB - Ifill is crap and Colchester fans would love to see the back of him. LB - Drury may do okay at left back, but we have nothing else there.CB - Is okayRM - There''s a reason why Preston fans would love to see the back of Whaley. He has a poor attitude and he doesn''t put in any effort.LM - LM is good if Hoolahan stays, I''m not gonna be that negativeCM - Is terrible. Swansea fans are delighted Tudor Jones has gone. Gill is rubbish too.ST - Looks a good player on YouTube? So did Brellier. I''d be worried if a player didn''t look good on YouTube seeing as it''s just the playersbest bits. ? Bridges a class act? I can''t take you seriously anymore.All in all, you think Cureton will score for fun, you think Bridges is a class act, you think bad apples Ifill and Whaley would be good singings. You think LB is fine because we have one player there, Adam Drury. Enjoy the false optimism.

So we''re judging Gill and Tudur-Jones on the basis of pre-season friendlies lol???

The thing that i find most amusing about that is if they''d played amazingly well people suh as yourself and loan city would be saying "Friendlies are meaningless"

Whoever we sign and whatever we do is going to be wrong in some peoples eyes, honestly the sheer ridiculousness of not even giving them a few league games to bed in before we''re writing them off is laughable.

[quote user="Lambo"]So we''re judging Gill and Tudur-Jones on the basis of pre-season friendlies lol???

The thing that i find most amusing about that is if they''d played amazingly well people suh as yourself and loan city would be saying "Friendlies are meaningless"

Whoever we sign and whatever we do is going to be wrong in some peoples eyes, honestly the sheer ridiculousness of not even giving them a few league games to bed in before we''re writing them off is laughable.[/quote] No whats laughable is every summer whoever we sign people try to big them up as good signings when we all know they are the dregs nobody else wants but we end up with them because they are cheap .You wont win League 1 with a squad of lower league freebies , the same as we were never going to the Championship play offs with a squad full of loanees , some people never learn and fall for it season after season after season .

[quote user="Lambo"]So we''re judging Gill and Tudur-Jones on the basis of pre-season friendlies lol??? [/quote]No, we''re judging them based on the fact that they are real lower league players through and through. That''s where they come from, that''s where they''re going - sorry. Their playing history tells you this, backed up by some of the opinions we''ve seen from supporters of their previous clubs. Neither Gill or Tudor Jones is a player that will push us to the top of the table - if they were, would they be here? I doubt it.They are the kind of players who provide muscle and cover for superior midfielders, such as Clingan, who needless to say we are going to lose. And as stated our youth prospects aren''t at the right level yet, so who currently looks like running the team, making it tick, and driving supply forward for the mighty Cureton to scuff wide?

Gill has come here without a bad word from Exceter fans, some even describing him as one of the best players they ever had and had offers from other clubs, Tudur-Jones is someone who from what i''ve read is a good player who can''t stay fit enough to show it, so it''s a case of choosing what to beleive.

So what your saying is whoever we sign isn''t good enough to take us up because if they were they wouldn''t sign for us??

Thats flawless logic there my friend, absoloutly flawless.

[quote user="Lambo"]Gill has come here without a bad word from Exceter fans, some even describing him as one of the best players they ever had and had offers from other clubs, Tudur-Jones is someone who from what i''ve read is a good player who can''t stay fit enough to show it, so it''s a case of choosing what to beleive.

So what your saying is whoever we sign isn''t good enough to take us up because if they were they wouldn''t sign for us??

Thats flawless logic there my friend, absoloutly flawless.[/quote] Gill has come here from Exeter lmfao says it all , he was playing nonleague 2 seasons ago and league 2 last season , brilliant signing if we are thinking league 1 or lower . Tudur Jones may be an ok signing IF he keeps fit but there has to be a huge doubt about that.

Peterborough signed George Boyd from Stevenage and McLean from Grays... would you call them bad signings if we went for them??

Just because a comes to us player from lower level football doesn''t make them bad.

Posh are a perfect example of what you can acheive by spotting talent from lower levels.

[quote user="Lambo"]Peterborough signed George Boyd from Stevenage and McLean from Grays... would you call them bad signings if we went for them??

Just because a comes to us player from lower level football doesn''t make them bad.

Posh are a perfect example of what you can acheive by spotting talent from lower levels.[/quote]Yes, but that''s not how it works to some people is it?Just follow these two simple rules. If a player costs money, it''s a rubbish signing by a terrible manager, and a waste of money for an over-the-hill mercenary loser. If a player is free and/or from a lower league, they are rubbish and no way near good enough to get us promoted this season.This is true in all cases, so hopefully that will help you out in future. [;)]

i''m feeling kinda sick actually. we''ve signed nobodies, we are going nowhere with the current regime, we will not get out of this division with the "squad" assembled and we will not even scrape into the play-offs. Every year the same garbage, and every year we get let down

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]

Much as we will miss Clingan, especially defensively and for penalties and free-kicks, I think that if Russell and Clingan leave in exchange for wingers (as has been rumoured) that would leave a well balanced squad, especially if the current trialists, including Bridges and/or Craig) work out well. Trialists and possibles have a ?.

GK Theoklitos, Rudd, Steer
RB Otsemobor, Spillane, Mtandari?
LB Drury, Lappin, Mtandari?, Habergham (Mtandari played RB and LB against Fakenham)
CB Doherty, Nelson, Spillane
CB Stefanovic, Stephens, Dumic, Joarder?
CM Tudur-Jones, Spillane, Smith, Chrysanthou?
CM Gill, Pattison, Adeyemi, Lappin
RM Whaley?, Neilson, Smith, McVeigh?, Lathrope
LM Hoolahan, Parry?, Lappin, Pattison, McVeigh?
S Maric?, Bridges?, Martin, Powell?, Renton, Kelly
S McDonald, Martin, Cureton, McVeigh?, Daley, Craig?

If enough of the triallists work out this could develop into a reasonable squad, with youth players at every position for future development.

[/quote]

I''m glad that we have better strikers than Cureton in the squad beacuse I would hate to see us play him next season!

I''ve seen or heard nothing that makes me one little bit more hopeful than last year.....

A hopeless manager who masterfully took us down in 19 easy stages.... a Board who are busy playing in Delia''s dolls house with no power or financial input to even change the wallpaper.... a bunch of misfits and sick note players who are simply desperate to find a club (and a wage).... a bunch of "fans" who would watch a dog being sick if it came out yellow...  a local press that is now going to be even more sycphantic than before due to insider influence...

Need I continue?........