Sign in to follow this  
sturgeon220

Cullum - So thats that then!!

“The credit crunch is going to be hurting people, so suddenly investing in a football club is quite unlikely for many people - especially if you look at the numbers."

When I read that I don''t think he means hes not going to invest, I think hes trying to get a message across to Delia! that she can look for investment elsewhere but she wont find it. Mr Cullum is a businessman at the end of the day so hes always going look for the right deal for himself too, you don''t become a multi billionaire otherwise. we all know the stumbling block is Delia, as someone else said why don''t she call Cullum''s bluff and see how serious he is. But I believe hes going to be our only way out of this mess, I dont see anyone else with as much money or with connections with the club like he has, someone with money and a passion for the club its what we all want. 

[quote user="Gazza"]

Interesting article in the EDP this morning, the following three points/quotes stand out for me....

1/ “The credit crunch is going to be hurting people, so suddenly investing in a football club is quite unlikely for many people - especially if you look at the numbers.

“If you did that, you would be seriously worried. You haven''t got to be much of a mathematician to work out that many football clubs are in trouble.

“Every business is being seriously hit by what''s going on in the wider economic environment. My business is no different. We are all under the cosh. And we can only guess what 2009 will hold.”

- Is this telling Delia in not so many words, that nobody else is interested and she is not likely to get much for her shares?

2/ “The club has appointed Keith Harris and he''s very well connected. I would never say never, but quite frankly I wouldn''t be on his list of possible investors to speak to.”

- Intimates to me that Delia will not do business with him whatever.....

3/On-off negotiations with the club have since broken down, although he continues to say he would not stand by if the club went into administration.

- That he is still interested in a deal but the club is worth nothing and thats the only way he will do business?!

Really hope this is the case and believe that upon my first read of the article, but lets hope so hey or 2009 is going to be one very tough year for NCFC.

Thoughts???

[/quote]

[IMG]http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l367/robinsainty/fat-straws.jpg[/IMG]

Pick anyone you like and hold on REALLY tight!

[quote user="Gazza"]

Well if we can''t clutch to that "positive straw" we could be really screwed....

Happy New Year beaus!

[/quote]

Sadly I think we may be Gazza. Happy New Year to you too, pal!

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Gazza"]

Well if we can''t clutch to that "positive straw" we could be really screwed....

Happy New Year beaus!

[/quote]

[/quote]

There is nothing and no one left.

The demo brigade can shout all they like now as we knew there is NO ONE in the wings waiting.

Lets hound DS out and drill a hole in the bottom of SS Canary at the same time! Man the lifeboats, women and supporters first.

Happy New year Beau, any news on the GC front?

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Gazza"]

Happy New Year beaus!

[/quote]

[/quote]

There is nothing and no one left.

The demo brigade can shout all they like now as we knew there is NO ONE in the wings waiting.

Lets hound DS out and drill a hole in the bottom of SS Canary at the same time! Man the lifeboats, women and supporters first.

Happy New year Beau, any news on the GC front?

[/quote]

Amazingly some people are still interpreting Cullum''s resounding no as a "maybe, if the price is right", but to topple the board now would be suicide.

Happy New Year to you too, Butler. No news,sadly. It was due on 23rd, and she has until next Tuesday before being induced, which she dreads, so hopefully it will be here soon. I will put a post up when it does,as many people have been kind enough to enquire!

I''ve used the analogy before, but it''s like those world war two Japanese soldiers fighting on after the surrender, refusing to believe that their blind faith in the emperor could have been misplaced.I''m convinced that 20 years from now Smudger, for one, will be discovered in some cyberspace jungle repeating over and over again: "He a clever businessman who loves the club. He''s just biding his time until the price falls. You mark my words. He''s a clever businessman..." 

Some of you cannot even read the article and then quote from it with accuracy. That''s what''s laughable. Consider the possibility that the article is an accurate reflection of Cullum''s opinion. Also, for the brighter posters, read the article on the linked page about the change over the past year in the fortunes of the wealthy, particularly Bjorgflur Gudmundsson, whose net worth has gone from $1.1 billion to zero. http://www.yahoo.com/s/1007210

The article highlights just a few individuals out of the countless numbers around the globe. This is a reflection of today''s reality. What do you think is the one thought that such individuals go to sleep and wake up with. How can I recover or recoup some of my losses as quickly as possible. Invest in a fottball club? Baaaappppp! Wrong answer. If they are able to lay their hands on any cash ( not an easy proposition ) then they will invest in ventures that are likely to give them the swiftest return when recovery starts to take place.

What Cullum had to say in the artricle is EXACTLY parallel to what Delia has been saying for a long time now.  

I''m surprised Gudmundsson hasn''t shot himself. Heres another:

Luis Portillo - March personal wealth = $1.2billion, Todays personal wealth = $15million

No wonder Cullum''s so hesitant to invest, goes to show how quickly it can all be lost.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

What Cullum had to say in the artricle is EXACTLY parallel to what Delia has been saying for a long time now.  

[/quote]Indeed.  Right down to the "player wages" fiasco.  It is laughable that the shower on the pitch on Sunday are earning that much money.  I blame Jimmy Hill and Rupert Murdoch.  Well, I don''t, entirely, but I wanted to blame someone other than Delia/Doncaster/MWJ/Roeder for a change.

[quote user="Paint Me Yellow"]

I''m surprised Gudmundsson hasn''t shot himself. Heres another:

Luis Portillo - March personal wealth = $1.2billion, Todays personal wealth = $15million

No wonder Cullum''s so hesitant to invest, goes to show how quickly it can all be lost.

[/quote]It''s all relative though isn''t it? I''d swap my bank account and assets with Luis Portillo on the evidence presented here.

[quote user="filthyrich"]

“The credit crunch is going to be hurting people, so suddenly investing in a football club is quite unlikely for many people - especially if you look at the numbers."

When I read that I don''t think he means hes not going to invest, I think hes trying to get a message across to Delia! that she can look for investment elsewhere but she wont find it. Mr Cullum is a businessman at the end of the day so hes always going look for the right deal for himself too, you don''t become a multi billionaire otherwise. we all know the stumbling block is Delia, as someone else said why don''t she call Cullum''s bluff and see how serious he is. But I believe hes going to be our only way out of this mess, I dont see anyone else with as much money or with connections with the club like he has, someone with money and a passion for the club its what we all want. 

[/quote]

good post! not too far from the truth i think....

jas :)

[quote user="sturgeon220"]Cullum also said

“It''s very depressing but there''s got to be some fundamental changes to the way things are structured. It seems as though all football clubs are run for the benefit of the players and managers, not the fans. We need an economic reality check. The whole thing is no longer viable.”
[/quote]

He says that the way football is structured is no longer viable, not his own involvement.  Does anyone disagree?

[quote user="Shifty Sid"]Sums Cullum up perfectly...

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/full_article.asp?i=4400

[/quote]

Cullum summed up on the website run by the boards Biggest apologist.... who''d have thought!

and also Mr Waghorn downs his former employers in the article too.. he really is a crotchety old git isn''t he? is Mrs Waghorn sleeping in a seperate bed or something now, might explain the mood....

[quote user="Shifty Sid"]Sums Cullum up perfectly...http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/full_article.asp?i=4400

[/quote]Sums up the EDP perfectly too! They can''t be bothered to do even the most basic of research.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

and also Mr Waghorn downs his former employers in the article too.. he really is a crotchety old git isn''t he? is Mrs Waghorn sleeping in a seperate bed or something now, might explain the mood....

[/quote]

lol!

When he worked for the EEN he moaned all the time about having to sit on the fence.  I used to think that meant he wasn''t able to voice criticism of the club where it was due.  But now it looks more likely that they wouldn''t let him be as sycophantic as he really wanted to be . . .[+o(]

Rick Waghorn is a personal friend of Delia.  I read his articles with interest as D&M no doubt use him as an outlet to voice their own opinions ''unofficially'', ie: get their own side of events out without being controversial or unprofessional.  That''s also why Waghorn can offer a subscrition website, with ''exclusive'' news before most other sources get to know about it...

[quote user="Potless Percy "]

“It''s very depressing but there''s got to be some fundamental changes to the way things are structured. It seems as though all football clubs are run for the benefit of the players and managers, not the fans. We need an economic reality check. The whole thing is no longer viable.”
[/quote]

He says that the way football is structured is no longer viable, not his own involvement.  Does anyone disagree?

[/quote]

I think this is Percy engaged in newspeak that has its own interpretation, namely, "desperately clinging on by the fingernails to her long-stated view that Mr. Cullum is simply biding his time."

If we are going to examine an article searching for what Mr. Cullum did NOT say then, at this festive time, let''s at least make it more interesting:

• he also did not say he doesn''t like peach cobbler ( I''ll bet he does )
  • he also did not say he hasn''t tried to spin a hoolahoop for 30 minutes non-stop ( I''ll bet he has )
  • he did not say he doesn''t walk on his head up and down his garden path every morning ( I wonder why ) 

Now, the article did quote Peter Cullum as saying the impact of the credit crunch meant he could not ride to the rescue of the cash-strapped Canaries, however, let''s not spend anytime discussing what he DID say when Percy would obviously like to cling to what he did NOT say.

NO, NO, NO ! If we had taken the 20 million . We would now have a few new players on contracts which we would  not be able to afford in 18months time. A few new players would not get us into the premier. Even if we improve from January onwards, for the next two seasons. We will not be in a position to challenge for promotion for 3 to 4 seasons. The depth of talent in the club is very poor.

Love or hate  Delia and Michael. They have not accumulated their wealth by giving their assets away. They do have genuine feelings for the club and will not let let a shrewd businessman like Mr Cullum attain full control of the club with such a stupid offer that does not guarentee the future of the club; because he is not settling any debt. The risk to him is minimal. The risk to the club increases.

Mr Cullum is a shrewd business man. That is why he has accumulated all that money. Given the current financial predicament the world is in ; this is not a good time to invest in any football club. Unless it is going for a song; being sung by the recievers.

Sack Roeder, incur more financial woe and get in another potential failure[ Jewel, Davis, Ince ect].

Pray we get some luck, he gets in another gamble who comes off. A youth player comes good and attracts huge cash or two or three turn into first team players.Martin/Spillane come back and do the business.

As painful as it is. I think we have to hang onto what we have got and keep our fingers crossed. That is the reality.

all this Roeder out  , Delia out . Great, but who is coming in and will they have any money to spend.

I have in recent months read some utter drivel on this message board. The constant attack and defence of Delia. Remember, she is not the sum total of the board or the chair. She just has a bigger persona that the rest and more shares than the rest. Because she has put in more money that anyone..  I am only defending reasonability. Not the fact that she, along with others appointed Peter Grant and let Worthy stay to long.

Protest: March to the ground; refuse to attend; not wear colours; Boo the players; boo the board; boo the river end for not making enough noise; boo Ladbrooks because I never win a bet.

The truth is right now we are a poor team. We have an average manager and an average board. We have great support [ Who pay peanuts for season tickets, my son pays £12.50 per month !]

There are teams in a worse financial plight than us, above and below us. Mr Cullum is right. Football will have to change. It belongs to the fans and is not there to make managers and players rich. It is run with no business sense. BUT when common sense prevails , if we are in a  stable finanacial position. Whereby clubs rely on attendance and players are grateful to play and wish to play in a full stadium. We will be all right and better than most. I am afraid we will have to settle for mediocrity at best for a while, but the wind will change.

No I am not happy with the club currently.I crave those halycon days of promotion. We enjoyed that so much that the current failures burn like acid. Life was complete and the world a great place [even Portman road, when your''e top of the league]

And the point is. As fans, we have to maintain that seige mentality. Who ever fault it is. We are in the s***. We can moan about it, look for scapegoats, protest and bring the club to a feeling of spite and hatred.

Or just sing OTBC loudly and cheer the players. Even the crap ones. That is the best thing we can do to help the club stay in this league and just maybe ;things will get better

Why would Cullum invest while Smith is still running the circus , now if she was to sod off that might be another matter , only Delia seems to think relegation aqnd administration are preferable to Cullum getting ownership of the club .

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]Indeed.  Right down to the "player wages" fiasco.  It is laughable that the shower on the pitch on Sunday are earning that much money.  I blame Jimmy Hill and Rupert Murdoch.  Well, I don''t, entirely, but I wanted to blame someone other than Delia/Doncaster/MWJ/Roeder for a change.[/quote]the prem chute payments for relegated teams are there to protect players contracts/clubs ability to pay them...but as i''ve argued before, imo this artificial device does nothing for football overall, and indeed because of its anti-competitive nature - encourages other champs clubs to spend above their incomes to compete with the relegated sides...it encourages financial recklessness...talk of capping players wages is a fudge on top of a fudge - no wonder donny is up for it...imo - root and branch reform is needed...the prem has its big 4 - and the champs has its big 3-6 (depending on how many chuted sides there are in the champs at any one time)...any supporter of a non chuted champs sides know they have a mountain to climb when compared to the squads enjoyed by the relegated sides...reading started the season with a playing squad of 41...reverse that figure, and thats most of NCFC''s first team squad!!!so - i have to agree - that although TV subscription money has made the prem the richest league in the world, the blatant lack of ''trickle down'' in wealth to the other leagues has damaged them, both financially and in terms of the competitive value offered - the champs is a workhouse feeder league to a reluctant prem custodian...change is sorely needed...as for delia,,,anti-midas touch comes to mind...but can anyone see a cure???

[quote user="Shifty Sid"]Rick Waghorn is a personal friend of Delia.  I read his articles with interest as D&M no doubt use him as an outlet to voice their own opinions ''unofficially'', ie: get their own side of events out without being controversial or unprofessional.  That''s also why Waghorn can offer a subscrition website, with ''exclusive'' news before most other sources get to know about it...
[/quote]

Whack Ringworm, also looks like a ''more portly'' Doncaster......He could almost be a Cyberdonk. I think we should call Whack the little dustbin droid -''Arseglue Me-to-you'' and the other board luvvin scribe, Dick Mennis? Well, he could be Mikey Wynn''s and Princess Delia''s  personal gold coloured Woe-bot, ''See Free Pi$$ Up''....

....just a thought.....

[quote user="ctid"]

NO, NO, NO ! If we had taken the 20 million . We would now have a few new players on contracts which we would  not be able to afford in 18months time. A few new players would not get us into the premier. Even if we improve from January onwards, for the next two seasons. We will not be in a position to challenge for promotion for 3 to 4 seasons. The depth of talent in the club is very poor.

Love or hate  Delia and Michael. They have not accumulated their wealth by giving their assets away. They do have genuine feelings for the club and will not let let a shrewd businessman like Mr Cullum attain full control of the club with such a stupid offer that does not guarentee the future of the club; because he is not settling any debt. The risk to him is minimal. The risk to the club increases.

Mr Cullum is a shrewd business man. That is why he has accumulated all that money. Given the current financial predicament the world is in ; this is not a good time to invest in any football club. Unless it is going for a song; being sung by the recievers.

Sack Roeder, incur more financial woe and get in another potential failure[ Jewel, Davis, Ince ect].

Pray we get some luck, he gets in another gamble who comes off. A youth player comes good and attracts huge cash or two or three turn into first team players.Martin/Spillane come back and do the business.

As painful as it is. I think we have to hang onto what we have got and keep our fingers crossed. That is the reality.

all this Roeder out  , Delia out . Great, but who is coming in and will they have any money to spend.

I have in recent months read some utter drivel on this message board. The constant attack and defence of Delia. Remember, she is not the sum total of the board or the chair. She just has a bigger persona that the rest and more shares than the rest. Because she has put in more money that anyone..  I am only defending reasonability. Not the fact that she, along with others appointed Peter Grant and let Worthy stay to long.

Protest: March to the ground; refuse to attend; not wear colours; Boo the players; boo the board; boo the river end for not making enough noise; boo Ladbrooks because I never win a bet.

The truth is right now we are a poor team. We have an average manager and an average board. We have great support [ Who pay peanuts for season tickets, my son pays £12.50 per month !]

There are teams in a worse financial plight than us, above and below us. Mr Cullum is right. Football will have to change. It belongs to the fans and is not there to make managers and players rich. It is run with no business sense. BUT when common sense prevails , if we are in a  stable finanacial position. Whereby clubs rely on attendance and players are grateful to play and wish to play in a full stadium. We will be all right and better than most. I am afraid we will have to settle for mediocrity at best for a while, but the wind will change.

No I am not happy with the club currently.I crave those halycon days of promotion. We enjoyed that so much that the current failures burn like acid. Life was complete and the world a great place [even Portman road, when your''e top of the league]

And the point is. As fans, we have to maintain that seige mentality. Who ever fault it is. We are in the s***. We can moan about it, look for scapegoats, protest and bring the club to a feeling of spite and hatred.

Or just sing OTBC loudly and cheer the players. Even the crap ones. That is the best thing we can do to help the club stay in this league and just maybe ;things will get better

[/quote]There never was £20 million - it was all a big con which unfortunately some of the more gullible posters (easily identifiable by their affection for advising others "to wake up and smell the coffee") took as fact.

if cullum had any thought of buying the club he wouldnt pay what smith wanted he after all is the one with the so called capital and therefore in the box seat.how do you think he got his millions ,not by paying over inflated prices for commodities

[quote user="Gazza"]

Interesting article in the EDP this morning, the following three points/quotes stand out for me....

1/ “The credit crunch is going to be hurting people, so suddenly investing in a football club is quite unlikely for many people - especially if you look at the numbers.“If you did that, you would be seriously worried. You haven''t got to be much of a mathematician to work out that many football clubs are in trouble.“Every business is being seriously hit by what''s going on in the wider economic environment. My business is no different. We are all under the cosh. And we can only guess what 2009 will hold.”

- Is this telling Delia in not so many words, that nobody else is interested and she is not likely to get much for her shares?

2/ “The club has appointed Keith Harris and he''s very well connected. I would never say never, but quite frankly I wouldn''t be on his list of possible investors to speak to.”

- Intimates to me that Delia will not do business with him whatever.....

3/On-off negotiations with the club have since broken down, although he continues to say he would not stand by if the club went into administration.

- That he is still interested in a deal but the club is worth nothing and thats the only way he will do business?!

Really hope this is the case and believe that upon my first read of the article, but lets hope so hey or 2009 is going to be one very tough year for NCFC.

Thoughts???

[/quote]imo cullum is only stating the bleedin obvious...even ashley has chucked in the towel trying to flog newcastle and is spending in the jan window to protect his investment from a drop into a champs hell...there are no buyers in footy - at fair market value anyways - imo - and so as i''ve suggested before, if the smith and jones want out now - then its at a giveaway price...but its clear, as ashley is doing, they must find a realistic amount of cash in the jan window to give us a fighting chance of avoiding relegation to league 1 - that would be a tragedy///

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Potless Percy "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think this is Percy engaged in newspeak that has its own interpretation, namely, "desperately clinging on by the fingernails to her long-stated view that Mr. Cullum is simply biding his time."

If we are going to examine an article searching for what Mr. Cullum did NOT say then, at this festive time, let''s at least make it more interesting:

• he also did not say he doesn''t like peach cobbler ( I''ll bet he does )

• he also did not say he hasn''t tried to spin a hoolahoop for 30 minutes non-stop ( I''ll bet he has )

• he did not say he doesn''t walk on his head up and down his garden path every morning ( I wonder why ) 

Now, the article did quote Peter Cullum as saying the impact of the credit crunch meant he could not ride to the rescue of the cash-strapped Canaries, however, let''s not spend anytime discussing what he DID say when Percy would obviously like to cling to what he did NOT say.

[/quote]

Good post,YC, but not what some want to hear. The full impact of the credit crunch has yet to hit and things will get worse before they get better. Cullum isn''t coming (if indeed he ever was), but it will be some time before those who read the runes will accept it. By the way, Happy New Year my friend, let''s hope its a better one for the world as a whole!

[quote user="Badger"][quote user="ctid"]

[/quote]

There never was £20 million - it was all a big con which unfortunately some of the more gullible posters (easily identifiable by their affection for advising others "to wake up and smell the coffee") took as fact.
[/quote]

There was never any ''Prudence with Ambition'' or any other comedy company clicky cliche''s either....In my personal opinion, our Board of Directionless and the industrious and illustrious CE, were quite content for us to amble aimlessly on in the Championship after our brief flirt with the Big-Boys....It''s a damn sight easier maintaining an average underachieving Championship Club that attracts full-houses, than having to source investment and finance - to support the demands of the support in the Premiership. The board can continually bleat on about our poverty stricken ickle club, pacifying and patronising with continual sanctimonious pap. Y''see us, we the punter penguins, that are now so used to ''all flap-no fly'' and occasionally happy when a fish is thrown our way when we become a little irritated.....But, when the Pingu''s start to revolt! The board despatch ''Donca the Killer Whale'' to swim just offshore and keep us ickle pingu''s in check.

If anyone thinks that Cullum doesn''t give a cuckoo about the fans.....Try looking at our current incumbents....They''ve got us over a barrel....''Butt,'' it''s sprung a considerable leak.....and as quick as the Board attempt to pump water back into the butt....it leaks out quicker than it''s filled....And no off the pitch interests from foody outlets or corporate entertainment etc.....will bung up the butt and address the loss of water. We require a bigger and better, sealed butt......

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Stone Cold"]

Peter Cullum always has had no interest in investing what so ever , He obviously likes the ego massage of having the local press as a mouthpiece to get his empty messages across to the fans.

The man is a total waste of time.

[/quote]

Yeah right! One of the richest men in the UK who oversees a huge business empire and is lauded for his entrepreneurial skills in all sorts of business publications has nothing better to do that try and gain cheap thrills through getting a bit of publicity in the EDP and bringing upon himslef the whole world of cr*p that comes from raising the expectations of the fans! Good one!

[/quote]

Not saying your wrong but why else is he doing it ? If he were seriously interested in buying another buisness for example Woolworths would he go to / Allow the press to run stories saying how he used to love their pick n mix and always shopped there and even though they''ve got into bother would love to buy their company as long as it was for very little , Then not buy and say he never had any discussions or do any due dilligence.

Doesn''t seem a very good way to do buisness and somebody with his track record wouldn''t do any other accusitions in this manner and at the end of the day Norwich City is a buisness ( Not a very good one at the moment ) so why has he acted in this manner.