Sign in to follow this  
Sing up the river end

Views on Marshall

Having only been to one home game this season i can''t judge.My view for what it is worth is he is a great shop stopper but prone to far to many mistakes.Friends that still have season tickets seem to feel he has probly lost us more points than he has gained us,is this the general view?

[quote user="Sing up the river end "]Having only been to one home game this season i can''t judge.My view for what it is worth is he is a great shop stopper but prone to far to many mistakes.Friends that still have season tickets seem to feel he has probly lost us more points than he has gained us,is this the general view?[/quote]I think that he is an excellent keeper, as per the OPTA stats that proved he was the second best keeper in the league last year. He is not quite Robert Green, yet, but if you bothered to go to games when Paul Gallacher was playing then im sure that you could appreciate that we are not going to get another keeper like David Marshall unless Steer or Rudd are kept at the club and developed. So..... I guess you should focus on being critical of Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea..... the team you have seen play this year.

He is a fantastic keeper for 9 games out of 10. Then he has a game like he did last night. He has gained us more points than he''s lost us, he doesn''t exactly play behind the surest defence in the world either

[quote user="Sing up the river end "]Having only been to one home game this season i can''t judge.My view for what it is worth is he is a great shop stopper but prone to far to many mistakes.Friends that still have season tickets seem to feel he has probly lost us more points than he has gained us,is this the general view?[/quote]Did you not watch the scum game?

i think he''s one of the best shot stoppers you will see in the league, he needs to work on kicking, positioning and judgement. Also, i think he could do a better job of commanding his defence sometimes.

[quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"][quote user="Sing up the river end "]Having only been to one home game this season i can''t judge.My view for what it is worth is he is a great shop stopper but prone to far to many mistakes.Friends that still have season tickets seem to feel he has probly lost us more points than he has gained us,is this the general view?[/quote]Did you not watch the scum game?[/quote]Yes i did watch the scum game,he made a great save.Which is exactly what i thought he was good at.It''s the silly mistakes he makes that are the problem.Clearly people on here that have answered so far think he gains us more points than he loses us.Which is the question i asked mate.Also yes you do have to take into account he plays behind a shocking defence as stated in a prevous reply.But is that defence really that  bad? or is the fact the defence doesn''t have faith in their keeper the reason it is made to look even worse?.

A good keeper but easily gets complacent as there is no competition for his place. A hungry Joe Lewis on the bench would have kept Marshall on his toes, a Brentford reserve keeper isn''t gonna be a threat is he!?

Brilliant shop stopper.

Poor aerially dealing with balls in the box.

Very poor making judgement calls coming for the ball out the area.

Nowhere near as good as Robert Green - personally think Joe Lewis was a better keeper when he was here also and the wrong decisions were made.

That said, he is the best we have available to us atm.

since the season gunny got injured i''ve never known a goalkeeper to be so directly responsible for so many goals, by my calculation it''s six this season which only includes absolutely glaring balls ups, I don''t know if the new goalkeeping coach has affected him but he never was this bad.We keep giving games away in which we''ve done enough to win because of stupid mistakes and I think Marshall heads the list

I think he''s as good as we are going to get and he''s not playing behind the strongest most experienced defence, so imo he is far from the weak point in the team. Green was an exceptional keeper, but he was helped by having very experienced players infront of him especially in our promotion season Malky, Fleming, Drury, Edworthy really knew how to grind out results even when we werent playing that well, the same cant be said of the current back four.

Seems to be a bit of a poor mans David James to me - brilliant at times but prone to calamatous errors probably due to a lack of concentration. 

Ipswich was good, last night was a distaster.  Even at Forest when he was vitually unbeatable he was at fault for their goal.

I would tell him to lay off the PS3, it seems to have worked for James!

[quote user="foggo7"]since the season gunny got injured i''ve never known a goalkeeper to be so directly responsible for so many goals, by my calculation it''s six this season which only includes absolutely glaring balls ups, I don''t know if the new goalkeeping coach has affected him but he never was this bad.

We keep giving games away in which we''ve done enough to win because of stupid mistakes and I think Marshall heads the list
[/quote]

Stoke at home last season, blackpool at home last season, wolves Away, Southampton at home, last season Cardiff at home last season.. theres more that i cant think of now

Derby at home this season, watford away, Palace at home (didnt cost a goal but threw it straight to one of their players), QPR at home.. im sure theres more examples too.. all games in which he has cost us goals...

lets get 1 thing clear ALL goalkeepers are good shot stoppers.... find me one anywhere in the 92 professional sides that isn''t.... theres more to goalkeeping than keeping the ball out of the net.. which is all OPTA''s stats show... percentage of saves made from shots faced (which includes mishit and scuffed shots which are easy for keepers).. theres distribution, handling, kicking, command of area, positioning, concentration levels, all of which make Marshall a very poor goalkeeper.

I don''t rate him.. and thats clear on here... but he does have the potential.. i think half the problem with Marshall is that he loses concentration, is he scared of making a mistake to the point he actually makes one? is he worried about taking out his own defenders? i don''t know the answer.. only David Marshall does...

i''m sorry to say but David is one of the worst goalkeepers i have ever seen at Norwich, only Simon Tracey and Jamie "Paddy" Ashdown were worse...all the other keepers we have had have at least had a decent pair of hands and the ability to know when to throw or kick.....

David will never be a premiership goalkeeper, and if he does go up will bench warm at best.... he has found his level as mid table championship stopper... a Bloody shame if you ask me but he''s too mistake prone....i''d give Nelson a go... but then im not Glen roeder.

Jas :)

Good ''keeper, in my opinion.

Room for improvement but if/when he sorts out when to leave his line and when not to then he''ll be different class. If Scott Carson is good enough to play in the Premier League then you can be sure David Marshall will play there as well.

I don''t usually get it wrong about players and I won''t be wrong about Marshall either. Worth sticking with him.

Take Marshall over Green in a heartbeat.

Organises defence better. Calls better. Better on long range shots. Ok on crosses. Gets on with other players much better

Grenn was better at short range stuff and winding Malky up which was funny....

Great goalkeeper, keeps us in plenty of games, and makes those important stops. We would of lost to Forrest if it wasn''t for him, we might of also lost to the scum if he didnt make that save.

He is porberbly one of the better keepers in this league, he does make mistakes, but so do the the whole team, but because he is a keeper, he is the only one out there, if a defender makes a mistake he has others to clean it up if a goalkeeper makes a mistake its a goal.

Everyone makes mistakes look at Ikeme for wolves when they played us, dropped the ball in teh net, we havent seen marshall do that yet.

[quote user="We Want Worthy Back"] Personally think Joe Lewis was a better keeper when he was here also and the wrong decisions were made. [/quote]

How did you manage to come to that conclusion when Joe Lewis never played a game for the first team [:^)]

[quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]Brilliant shop stopper. Poor aerially dealing with balls in the box. Very poor making judgement calls coming for the ball out the area. Nowhere near as good as Robert Green - personally think Joe Lewis was a better keeper when he was here also and the wrong decisions were made. That said, he is the best we have available to us atm.[/quote]

Is there a reason people are saying shop instead of shot? Have I missed something?

In 5 years, the boy will be class. It took Green a long time to develop a sense of when to, and when not to, come for crosses. I sincerely hope we stick with him over time, and then I think we''ll see the rewards from his potential.

He''s saved us games as well as lost us games during his time here.