Sign in to follow this  
SitTee

Watford away

Thinking of going to watford away. What is the ground like? I heard that the stand you are in is nice but the stand on the left is rubbish.Anyone been and whats your say on the ground?

Watford is a great away trip, don''t know where you are heading from, but there is plentiful off street parking (some near a very nice pub, sadly can''t remember the name of it, but it''s near the ground). I am sure it will figure in the away guide on the home page!

Huge multi storey car park in town centre too and the usual chain pubs/eating places. Not a massive walk from ground and easy to find.

The ground itself is fine, bit old but large away area behind one of the goals. No trouble at all from fans or stewards in all the trips I have been on - lost count now! Watford fans are welcoming and you can mix in their pubs, from my experience anyway.

Only down side, our away game after promotion, very, very hot day they ran out of cold drinks and had to give us tap water for free! Don''t think you will have that problem though.

When you are there, give Malky a wave from all of us. Thanks.

Cool, thxs for that! Im going on canary bus. I remember watching that match on the big tele back at carrow road!!Its a night game so hopefully not too cold!Also, if your travelling via bus can you park at carrow road for free?

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Kiwi, yes you can park in the car park for free, good luck on Cabbage.....lol[/quote]good, lol everyone says that but i find it fine!

I went last year and I will be there again this year as its reasonably near to my uni!

Last year is was raining, snowing and hailing and we sat over to the left hand side as you face the pitch and we got soaked the whole game! Was worth it though. Im pretty sure we went 1-0 down with a danny shittu header and cureton scored a volley in the second half infront of us lot to get the draw!!

I went last year as well i recommend going to Watford as its a nice little stadium apart from the stand to your left which is really bad and we usually do well at Watford from what i can remember

Like most say on here, its a good away trip and thoroughly enjoyed last season despite the weather. It gets a bit cramped behind the stand with a good away turnout and they dont serve the away supporters alcohol.

And I was there when we took the Rookery...(71?) and most seasons since sadly

Forgot....

Its a dump, DONT park in the Hospital car park next door

I was in the Rookery once (1969 ish) v QPR and 4 QPR fans stood behind ''the crew'' A silent 90 minutes......

Harmless day out, unlike Luton

[quote user="kiwiNCFC"]Thinking of going to watford away. What is the ground like? I heard that the stand you are in is nice but the stand on the left is rubbish.
Anyone been and whats your say on the ground?
[/quote]

Heey i wanted to go to that one :| ;)

You could give me and kirstie a lift to the ground if you wanted lol

x

away fans only located behind the goals now (half of goals) other half watford fans who caused no trouble at all. stewards very helpful even if its too much in your face in helping you

we stood all game and didnt get stewards coming up telling us sit etc....

one major flaw is lack space underneath. if you need piss half time good luck. want food good luck. want beer no chance, watford dont sell any alchol to away supporters inside stadium.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Complete dump! Get in and out![/quote]

Totally agree, its a very nasty area!

[/quote]

Have you ever been there or just being negative for the sake of it?

Watford is ok, the bit around the ground is as bad as it gets really. Some very nice areas not far from there.

[quote user="SimonOTBC"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

Watford is ok, the bit around the ground is as bad as it gets really. Some very nice areas not far from there.

[/quote]

Yes, of course, I''ve been there, and its still a dump!.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="SimonOTBC"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fair enough. I lived in the nicest part of Watford for a couple of years and found it to be ok. Would rather have lived in South Bucks though, or Rickmansworth

[quote user="SimonOTBC"]Fair enough. I lived in the nicest part of Watford for a couple of years and found it to be ok. Would rather have lived in South Bucks though, or Rickmansworth

[/quote]

My Aunt was a Watford fan, I say was, because she''s since died, so thats how I know the area and ground Simon.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="SimonOTBC"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not like Lowestoft at all then. [:P] 

who does this wizard bloke think he is??to think that lowestoft is anywhere better than watford he needs his head reading.I was born and raised in Watford and went to most games up to the age of 10 with me dad (around about the time i defected to my mums team).Area around the ground isnt the best. Pub by the train station used to have home brewed ales but has gone to #@% recently.But any tips ask away....watford fans are fine, just like us........no trouble bar possibly the occasional 13yr old chav trying to look hard in front of his mates.And as for being a dump, watford is possibly the nicest place on the entire London Underground map (maybe amersham).....Never a great place for us though......it bloody well should be as most watford sides are dreadful but we just never seem to get anything.Anyhow.......im stuck out in korea now so make sure you make plenty of noise down there........OTBCAnyhow.....last time i checked lowestoft was in suffolk and consequently about 50% fuill of binners......maybe that says something about the octagenerian magician?

Probably going to miss this one this season as I fancy Reading away, 3 days later...real dilemma I know as this one, despite our form looks very ''winnable''...is that a word?

[quote user="6088m canary"]who does this wizard bloke think he is??
to think that lowestoft is anywhere better than watford he needs his head reading.
I was born and raised in Watford and went to most games up to the age of 10 with me dad (around about the time i defected to my mums team).
Area around the ground isnt the best. Pub by the train station used to have home brewed ales but has gone to #@% recently.
But any tips ask away....
watford fans are fine, just like us........no trouble bar possibly the occasional 13yr old chav trying to look hard in front of his mates.

And as for being a dump, watford is possibly the nicest place on the entire London Underground map (maybe amersham).....

Never a great place for us though......it bloody well should be as most watford sides are dreadful but we just never seem to get anything.
Anyhow.......im stuck out in korea now so make sure you make plenty of noise down there........
OTBC

Anyhow.....last time i checked lowestoft was in suffolk and consequently about 50% fuill of binners......maybe that says something about the octagenerian magician?

[/quote]

Err? where did I claim Lowestoft was any better than Watford 6608?...................

As usual, most of you pink un posters are talking complete and utter garbage. You spout drivel based on some kind of nonsense impression from the 1970''s. Why must everything be so negative? I live a few miles from Watford and it''s not a dump at all. I''ve been there loads of times. The bit around the ground is OK - no worse than the bit around Carrow Road or any other football stadium. The ground has three good sides and one condemned wooden stand but they don''t have any money to rebuild it - sound familiar at all? It''s a nice enough ground and the crowd can be very noisy but usually are a bit subdued - again, sound familiar?

The hospital car park is OK and has security but might take a while to get out of. Some of the local schools open their car parks for the night for £4 a car but it''s pretty easy to park on the side roads or in the Harlequin shopping centre, which will be free from 6pm because it''s open for late night Christmas shopping, but check what time it shuts and make sure you can get the car out.

And as for the football, I don''t think most of you lot ever actually go to any games with the crapola you come out with! Like the pillocks on Canary Call who freely admit they haven''t been to a game for 30 years but think Glenn Roader hasn''t a clue. Are you serious? Just examine the word "supporter" would you? Notice that first bit - "support". Anybody have any idea what that word might mean? No, didn''t think so. Do you all think that the Smiths/Roeders/Doncasters are in this position deliberately? Is your average age above 15? If you can''t cope with "supporting" a football club, please bugger off and join the Man Utd/Chelsea''Liverpool/Arsenal "fans" and please can we have some constructive posts rather than immature, vitriolic nonsense from people who don''t deserve what they have got. Ask Luton fans about their team. Ask Southampton fans. Perhaps most crucially, ask QPR fans who have now got another foreigner with no experience as their "coach" - read the post on the BBC website from a QPR fan asking Flavio to take his money and go away and give us our club back.

I can almost hear you asking for my solution. No? Tough, here it is. If we were to get bought by an "investor" ticket prices would rise dramatically, so do it now and raise some bloody money.

And by the way, how does Scott Carson get an England game? You see, clearly none of us know anything about football.....

Wiz, I don''t know what you would class as a good area, but coming from Lowestoft it''s a bit rich to call Watford a nasty area....lol

Kiwi - don''t listen to him. I have been to Watford many times and never had any trouble. Locals are friendly, in fact a few years ago some of us city fans were invited to their pub where they bought us drinks and food. Hospitable lot. We did the same thing at CR (when the much missed Ferry Boat was still open....sob). Watford probably won''t win any awards for architectural beauty, but you are going at night to watch a match. Have a great trip and enjoy the game!

I worked in Watford for 3 months in my younger Norwich Union days and enjoyed the night life and I''ve been to the ground a couple of times and never had any problems plus the fans were friendly.

Wiz... the ''area'' is not a dump at all. It aint all that compared to the ''area'' around Carrow Road but its way better than most ground ''areas''

You dont (as usual) know WTF you''re talking about

The ground itself however IS a dump, and anyone who''s not had trouble with stewards there isnt trying hard enough. Good news is they back down

Fans are ok, I had trouble once when one of them knocked my 5 year old daughter over in Market St

They play shit football and always have ever since I first stood in their Rookery about 1968, my dad was a Watford fan and friend of Ken Furphy (sp) ( I used to play football against his son Who Played for Queens School) and Wally someone....

Long ball school, effective but shit to watch

I lived in North Watford for a a couple of years before moving to Kenton which is on the same train line as Watford Junction and Watford High Street. If you are coming by train from London, Watford Junction, although further away from the ground is much quicker to get to than Watford High Street as it is only a couple of stops on the fast train.

There are plenty of decent places to go to drink. If you are coming by train from London to Watford Junction (as I will be), the Estcourt Tavern is ok, link here http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/17/17352/Estcourt_Tavern/Watford. This is around a mile from the ground.

As the Wolves stalker has pointed out, getting to the toilet at h/t is a nightmare at Watford as it can get dangerously over-crowded under the conourse at the away end. And there''s no beers on sale as far as I know. Two years ago my wife had to go in the gents, (in the cubicle!) and last season my daughter couldn''t get to the loos at at all as it was so packed.

All the loud away fans are at the opposite end of the ground, and the block to the right is the Watford family area which is very docile.

The left of the ground, looking from the away end is a good as condemned, and the stand to the right is bizarre. Two stands infront of some huge garage doors.

The places is very friendly and the only problems I''ve had there in recent seasons is having to watch some dreadful games.

Went to the game last year courtesy of corporate hospitality at work and despite sitting with Watford fans, they were very welcoming - even when we equalised. Parked at the Harlequin shopping centre which you can''t miss and only a ten minute walk from the ground.

well now my memory is in full swing.....if you are arriving via train. come out of watford junction and turn right up the road. go under the subway and continue left on the fork....on the 1st or 2nd side road to the left u will see The Nascot Arms. Its an ale pub, full of watford but all middle aged, middle class and very friendly. Generally some very nice young girls behind the bar and quite often even get a pint of Adnams in there :)If your a true norfolk drinker (ie. ale) then this is the pub and atmosphere you want. Im pretty sure you could jsut walk down to the ground with all the boys in there too....Definitely norwich friendly since ive watched a fair few of our televised games down there before and made a lot of noise etc etc.Enjoy watford and hope to christ we get something off them :)OTBC

[quote user="IBA"]Wiz... the ''area'' is not a dump at all. It aint all that compared to the ''area'' around Carrow Road but its way better than most ground ''areas'' You dont (as usual) know WTF you''re talking about [/quote]

Actually, I think I do IBA.

My opinion is based on my own experiences of the place (I stayed in the dump for far longer than one footy game!) Lowestoft has the same qualities too............so there![:D]