Sign in to follow this  
?

Ultimately, does any of this really matter?

Out of a mixture of interest and boredom, i find myself wondering just how much the success of NCFC really matters.

This won''t be a popular opinion by any means, but personally, i would be at Carrow Road regardless of the manager, the players, the owners, the league position, or any other of the almost countless things that we all get so worked up about on this message board. It could be a cold Tuesday night at home to Barrow Utd, with Norwich owned and ran by Robert Mugabe, and i''d still go, though i might, in all fairness, moan for a little while if we didn''t play well.

I know that some people might label that as being quite complacent in regards to the welfare of the club, and, although i (and the rest of us, in our own way) want the best for the club in the shape of Premier football, decent displays and success, i would never personally stoop to some of the worrying trends you read about more and more regularly on this mesage board. Wanting Norwich to lose? Wanting relegation? Boycotting games? Yes, these things may well turn out to be for the best in the long run (though how any of us can know that is beyond me: it''s all just speculation) but is that really supporting your club?

I was raised (thanks, Dad!) to be a City fan through thick or thin. In my eyes, that means regardless of how bad it gets, regardless of who owns the club, and regardless of the level of debt or ineptitude in the boardroom. And that also means going and supporting my football club in ANY game, and hoping for a win in ANY game.

Which, i suppose, means that none of this really matters. I will be there next season, be it the Premiership, Championship, or League 1. And the same will apply the season after, and the one after that, ad infinitum. Because i support Norwich City Football Club, not the owner, not the manager, and not the players. The Club goes beyond all those things.

What i''m interested in, if i stop the ramblings (as i said, bored!) is how many people share that view? Say we do get relegated, and Delia is still in charge next year, how many of you lot will stop going? And i''m not in this for bashing people, as i''ve already said, we all want the best for the club, we just all have different opinions on how best to get that!

If we got relegated and there was no change of ownership I wouldn''t go.  

If we got relegated and there was a change of ownership I''d be there like a shot.

Quite simply, if we managed to get relegated and Delia stayed on, I would chuck it all in and follow Kings Lynn.

I see what you mean mate, and I think I would do the same, regardless of if we get relegated or the state in which our club get into I would still be found supporting Norwich to no end. We have to become a supporter of the players and the managers and staff that get brought in and will inevitably change year after year.

Success is a nice thing because we want to see our club that we all love challenging the top teams in the Championship and pushing on to give Premiership quality clubs a run for their money if and when we get promoted in the coming years.

A lot of clubs have excessively poor turnouts when we look at the fans whenever they perform poorly or are rock bottom of the league, but I think we are a rare exception of a team that will probably increase in ticket office sales when the team needs a lift and it''s amazing to see the commitment we give.

Although we all know we deserve better from the club in return, it seems some lately are starting to lose the will to follow them now, but heads up and stay strong, the rut cannot last forever.

Worrying replies!

Each to their own, but personally i can''t imagine my dislike of the owner ever outweighing my love of the football club.

But then, it''s quite understandable when they keep asking us to pay that sort of cash for the dross they put on show.

Back to the old days of 11,000 averages then, i suppose. But i''ll still, proudly, be one of them.

[quote user=""]

Worrying replies!

Each to their own, but personally i can''t imagine my dislike of the owner ever outweighing my love of the football club.

But then, it''s quite understandable when they keep asking us to pay that sort of cash for the dross they put on show.

Back to the old days of 11,000 averages then, i suppose. But i''ll still, proudly, be one of them.

[/quote]

It''s not about being proud, it''s about the fans having their club back. We no longer have a football club, people say foreign owners cause a club to lose their idendity.

Well a bloody washed up ageing cook has caused us to lose ours.

I would still go....although I keep saying to myself after each crappy away performance that I won''t. You are right, we are all supporters and I think if anything we all just care too much about the club and don''t want to see if tumbling down the way it is at the moment. I desperately want what is best for the club but don''t assume myself to be well informed enought to know what that is.

It''s a shame you and so many others feel that way Alex, though personally i''d disagree. Because the club for me is about more than the current crop of players, the current league position, and the current owner, no matter how bad it gets.

For me it''s about all the exceptionally superb times i''ve had following City home and away over the years, win or lose, and the bad times that comes with that. And i know for a fact, that whoever the owner is, i''ll have more great times, and i look forward to them. And we don''t need to be doing well and winning for me to enjoy following my club. I aways enjoy it, though sometimes i wouldn''t agree with that sentiment until a couple of days after a game! ;o)

I think i wouldn''t let anyone, know matter how bad an owner/manager/player they are, spoil that for me. If you ask me, this club is mine, as a fan, not their''s, and that''s why i''ll keep on going, regardless.

I think a lot of people would still go, but if heaven forbids relegation happens, there may not be anything to go and see.

[quote user=""]

It''s a shame you and so many others feel that way Alex, though personally i''d disagree. Because the club for me is about more than the current crop of players, the current league position, and the current owner, no matter how bad it gets.

For me it''s about all the exceptionally superb times i''ve had following City home and away over the years, win or lose, and the bad times that comes with that. And i know for a fact, that whoever the owner is, i''ll have more great times, and i look forward to them. And we don''t need to be doing well and winning for me to enjoy following my club. I aways enjoy it, though sometimes i wouldn''t agree with that sentiment until a couple of days after a game! ;o)

I think i wouldn''t let anyone, know matter how bad an owner/manager/player they are, spoil that for me. If you ask me, this club is mine, as a fan, not their''s, and that''s why i''ll keep on going, regardless.

[/quote]

Well I admire your loyalty and I can see where you''re coming from but forgive me for asking, how old are you? Not meaning that in a rude way but I am sure you''ve seen many many more memorable times at City than I have, having become interested around the end of the 93-94 season - and as you know, we then went on to be relegated and be fair, we have had little to cheer about since then. Contrast that to the late 50s right up until 1994, rollercoaster of a ride, which I obviously know all about having read up, heard other people''s memories etc, then I would like the club to go back to playing decent football and having football people at the top.

It''s just so drab and dull being a Norwich fan now, and it has been for too long. Most of us are getting bored of it.

"quote"

Worrying replies!

"quote"

Don''t let the replies worry you. I''m really pleased to see you thankful that you had the kind of Dad that you did. It''s a declining trend in today''s world where there are far to many that complain about their lot in life, and often wish to place the blame at the doorstep of their parents.

With respect to specific input, there is no need to find worrying the response from someone like Potless Percy. "Even with relegation" she says she would be there like a shot if the present owners were gone. How long did that support last when we were relegated from the Premiership and how long would it last at a lower level again. No, no logic there at all to put your faith in. Give me the attitude demonstrated by you and your Dad any day of the week.

Actually, Alex, i''m only 22 and have been a season ticket holder for 14 seasons now. Which, coincidentally, means we''ve been going for the same amount of time!

I understand what you mean, it is drab being a City fan now. But i still enjoy it, despite the lack of success or even moderate talent at times. Yes, we''re awful and probably going down, but i still enjoy my day out at the game regardless of the result, and i enjoy the company i''m in and feeling that i''m part of something bigger and better than we''re currently watching, and i want that to continue. So i do my bit, chant the songs, enjoy the emotions and any excitement the current crop dish up, touch the club badge tattooed on my shoulder for luck and when it inevitably ends in defeat these days, i console myself with the fact that i''ve still (once the adrenaline has died down a bit!) had a thoroughly good time, done my bit, and that the current crop of players, owners and staff won''t be around for too long, because that''s football. I''ll still be there supporting City long after they''ve all moved on, so i won''t let their actions ruin it for me.

And thank you, Yankee. It''s reassurring to hear a bit of support on this one, not that i''m saying my way is any better than someone else''s! As i''ve said, it''s arguably a very complacent attitude to something i care deeply about. The thing is, right now in my opinion, it''s all about us as fans remembering why we''re City fans in the first place, and remembering why we care as much as we do. So that''s what i do, and my ''keep the faith'' attitude is what i get out of it.

Though it''s not ''keeping the faith'' with Delia, Roeder, or the players; it''s keeping the faith in my love for the football club!

I think the original poster probably speaks for millions of football fans all over the country.  I''ve supported football for 53 years at every level of the game and I''ve seen it change almost beyond recognition - the difference between the top and bottom rungs in the old days was the ability to pay a maximum of £25 a week whereas those in the old Third Division usually got no further than a tenner (and half pay in the Summer).

Two of the clubs I support have taken me into the Blue Square Conference or whatever it was called then but we eventually got out of it.  During all that time countless managers, players, owners have come and gone but the clubs still continue.  And while like everyone I wish for success I am not longer bothered if it doesn''t come. I think the game as structured today really gives the fans little say in how a club is run or administered and I don''t see that about to change.

I hope to see a good game of football, a competitive fight from my team, but beyond that I don''t think I can expect anything better than that without the vast sums of money that are now necessary for success.

In the past few years I have seen people wish for the more equal "level playing field" that once existed but I honestly think with the TV money and betting consortiums now involved that those days will never come again. 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Don''t let the replies worry you. I''m really pleased to see you thankful that you had the kind of Dad that you did. It''s a declining trend in today''s world where there are far to many that complain about their lot in life, and often wish to place the blame at the doorstep of their parents.

With respect to specific input, there is no need to find worrying the response from someone like Potless Percy. "Even with relegation" she says she would be there like a shot if the present owners were gone. How long did that support last when we were relegated from the Premiership and how long would it last at a lower level again. No, no logic there at all to put your faith in. Give me the attitude demonstrated by you and your Dad any day of the week.

[/quote]

Don''t let Yankee''s reply console you.  He doesn''t give a stuff about you, it''s yet another thinly disguised excuse to pursue his own personal agenda vis a vis me.

[quote user="Potless Percy "][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

Don''t let Yankee''s reply console you.  He doesn''t give a stuff about you, it''s yet another thinly disguised excuse to pursue his own personal agenda vis a vis me.

[/quote]

Don''t flatter yourself Percy....you''re not that interesting.  Reasonably well spoken person with very little common sense is my read on you. My agenda is simple. Anytime I see posters ( and you are but one of them ) who use every conceivable point and opportunity to attack the majority owners of NCFC, then rest assured I will be there to contest the point. Nothing will deter me. Count on it.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Potless Percy "][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Don''t flatter yourself Percy....you''re not that interesting.  Reasonably well spoken person with very little common sense is my read on you. My agenda is simple. Anytime I see posters ( and you are but one of them ) who use every conceivable point and opportunity to attack the majority owners of NCFC, then rest assured I will be there to contest the point. Nothing will deter me. Count on it.

[/quote]

Selfsatisfied prick with an Oedipus complex is my read on you.

[quote user="Potless Percy "]

If we got relegated and there was no change of ownership I wouldn''t go.  

If we got relegated and there was a change of ownership I''d be there like a shot.

[/quote]What do you actually do during the game then, stare at the Directors box?

[quote user="question"]

It could be a cold Tuesday night at home to Barrow Utd, with Norwich owned and ran by Robert Mugabe, and i''d still go, though i might, in all fairness, moan for a little while if we didn''t play well.

[/quote]

My friend, when the time comes I promise you will be playing for the club.  Would you say you were right or left wing?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Potless Percy "][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]You really have a problem with opinionated women don''t you Yankee, as I remember you''ve tried to give City Angel hassle in the past too. Its not ''Anytime I see posters ( and you are but one of them ) who use every

conceivable point and opportunity to attack the majority owners of NCFC'' is it? Otherwise you would be replying to 75% of the posts on these pages and have an even bigger post count. No, its anytime this woman posts a remark. Its called stalking Yankee - and when it involves a woman, its very nasty and its very sinister.

[quote user="astrodyne"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Potless Percy "][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You really have a problem with opinionated women don''t you Yankee, as I remember you''ve tried to give City Angel hassle in the past too. Its not ''Anytime I see posters ( and you are but one of them ) who use every conceivable point and opportunity to attack the majority owners of NCFC'' is it? Otherwise you would be replying to 75% of the posts on these pages and have an even bigger post count. No, its anytime this woman posts a remark. Its called stalking Yankee - and when it involves a woman, its very nasty and its very sinister.[/quote]

On the contrary astrodyne, I actually love opiniated women. I was a big fan of Maggie Thatcher. The "problem" I have is as I have clearly stated it. If you can''t understand that then, I suspect, it''s for the reasons I have previously pointed out to you.

[quote user="astrodyne"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Potless Percy "][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You really have a problem with opinionated women don''t you Yankee, as I remember you''ve tried to give City Angel hassle in the past too. Its not ''Anytime I see posters ( and you are but one of them ) who use every conceivable point and opportunity to attack the majority owners of NCFC'' is it? Otherwise you would be replying to 75% of the posts on these pages and have an even bigger post count. No, its anytime this woman posts a remark. Its called stalking Yankee - and when it involves a woman, its very nasty and its very sinister.[/quote]

Thanks for that astrodyne.  It''s what I really wanted to say.  I''m thankful he doesn''t know exactly where I live. 

[quote user="Potless Percy "][quote user="astrodyne"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Potless Percy "][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for that astrodyne.  It''s what I really wanted to say.  I''m thankful he doesn''t know exactly where I live. 

[/quote]

More drivel on your part Percy. I don''t know where Cluck or Smudger live either and I will continue to be equally critical of their poison. To their credit, they don''t resort to childish tactics like you have here. Mr. Carrow has also received ongoing critical feedback from me but, also to his credit, he at least puts in background effort to support his incessant attacks, repetitive that they are. 

As I said, when I see posters that clearly have little else to post ( that''s for your benefit astrodyne to help you understand ) but attacks on the majority shareholders expect to see a response from me. It does not go unnoticed by most that those that engage in such activity are most strident when things are as they are right now, but virtually invisible when there have been positive things to comment on in past years before promotion and even in the 2004/05 season.   

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Potless Percy "][quote user="astrodyne"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Potless Percy "][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

More drivel on your part Percy. I don''t know where Cluck or Smudger live either and I will continue to be equally critical of their poison. To their credit, they don''t resort to childish tactics like you have here. Mr. Carrow has also received ongoing critical feedback from me but, also to his credit, he at least puts in background effort to support his incessant attacks, repetitive that they are. 

As I said, when I see posters that clearly have little else to post ( that''s for your benefit astrodyne to help you understand ) but attacks on the majority shareholders expect to see a response from me. It does not go unnoticed by most that those that engage in such activity are most strident when things are as they are right now, but virtually invisible when there have been positive things to comment on in past years before promotion and even in the 2004/05 season.   

[/quote]

As predicted, he denies it.  They always do.

[quote user="astrodyne"]Yankee, regardless of my level of intelligence, all I''m asking is that you back off the lady.
[/quote]

Astrodyne, I believe your intentions are honorable. However, the fact she is a female has nothing to do with it. Equality has moved on in that regard and this is a message board. I have stated my position clearly. if you can''t accept it you will have to live with it. May I suggest if you feel so gallantly inclined to defend the fairer sex that you have a stab at directing some criticism at Smudger for accusing Delia Smith of being crooked. Now that''s something you should be able to get your teeth into.

[quote user="astrodyne"]Don''t try and deflect the issue Yankee - back off the lady.
[/quote]

Perhaps you missed the key part of my last message astrodyne. try it again:

Astrodyne, I believe your intentions are honorable. However, the fact she is a female has nothing to do with it. Equality has moved on in that regard and this is a message board. I have stated my position clearly. If you can''t accept it you will have to live with it.

OK, I guess I shall, but if you continue to harass this lady, then you will have to live with me pointing out your creepiness everytime you do it.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]Quite simply, if we managed to get relegated and Delia stayed on, I would chuck it all in and follow Kings Lynn.[/quote]

It''s difficult as NC is in our blood, however IF we got relegated and the current board are still in position I will always look for the NC results but will be attending Aldiss Park and following Dereham Town.