Sign in to follow this  
singing canary

Re: roeder must go

You can''t just blame roeder the players are under proforming too!!!!!!!! At work if I don''t get results I could get the sack not the manager the players need to sort this out after all they are getting paid thousands per week!!!

Yeah the club hasn''t got any money and I know right now I''m skint too!!!!

If we keep changing the managers every year the club will never get any better, give the guy a chance after all he kept us up last season.........

[quote user="topcanary1971"]there is no argument... okay we are brilliant we beat mk donns all our strikers are scoring for fun we beat a very strong team saturday ,bertrand did not cost us no money on loan, hoolihan is playing out of his skin, huckerby is doing crap,and arsenal and man united arnt looking at joe lewis, we are top -so im lying then[/quote]Joe Lewis doesn''t even play for us any more you fool, are you talking about Jed Steer? and since when has it been a bad thing that the top clubs in the world are looking at your youth players? surely that means our academy is doing a great job. And reading all of your posts, you seem like a sarcastic little kid who is full of arrogance, you can''t conduct a proper argument so you say things like " we are top - so I''m lying then" well theres 22 other teams who are not top in our league as well, so clearly they are all doing rubbish. Grow up and come back when you have something sensible to say, if you don''t like the football your seeing at the moment, then don''t come to Carrow Road, simple!

right you pr**t ...norwich are third from bottom -correct??? is huckerby playing well in usa yes...is hoolihan-no, how many points have we- dont start throwing insults at me you muppet and before you jump to conclussions about me ..im a kid... i watched norwich win the milk cup and in comparrison we are poor ..so have a word with yourself mate..

Not that i''m calling for the guy''s head or anything, but i do agree that Roeder gets away with an awful lot that other, past managers haven''t.

So, yeah, he''s not been particularly well-backed by the board (whatever our personal feelings on that one), but the man has independently made a whole host of awful decisions that people just seem to shrug off.

There''s the tinkering with a team on a superb unbeaten run, the failure to replace Dion despite having months to do so, the release of our best player, the preference for useless loanees like Henry and Gibbs, his failure to sign a decent striker before the start of the season, the truly atrocious tactical decisions such as thinking Cureton would do a job at left-wing and playing Russell upfront (might get some disagreement with this in particular, but honestly, what has he done in that position that he wouldn''t do from attacking midfield, where he should be played?), the public slating of certain individuals for minor mistakes, the complete favouritism for useless lumps like Fozzy and Elliot, his inability to control himself and set an example whend ealing with certain referees, and seriously, why the hell can''t he just PLAY PEOPLE IN THEIR PROPER POSITION! (*Ahem* Sorry, got angry there.). And that''s just off the top of my head.

Honestly, does anyone who went to the QPR game still have even an iota of confidence in his tactical ability? He was clueless, clearly didn''t have a clue what to do. 1-0 down at home to 10 men, and he took off a striker, put on a midfielder and went to effectively 4-5-1 for 5 minutes, before pushing Russell forward more for 5 minutes, then finally bringing on another striker and dropping Russell back! I didn''t know whether to laugh or cry. How the hell is Daryl supposed to perform properly when he can''t even settle in a position? And that''s just one example, there''s countless games where he''s done the same.

We, and primarily the man in charge, looked just as hopeless against the mighty 10 men of Derby.

But then working at Norwich in the current circumstances must be tricky, so as i''ve said, i''m not calling for his head. But i am getting worried. Not only do we have a debatably useless board, no money, and hopeless players, but our manager, in my opinion, seriously seems to have lost whatever it was he had at the start of his time here.

You can''t get by on an unbeaten run at the start of your term forever. 20 points from the last 69 just isn''t good enough, regardless of how well we did when he first took over.

i dont dissagree at all the last thing i would want to see is a situation like that.

my point is i dont rate roeder at all i feel he has made some poor errors in judement.

im passing on my opion and all you get is people giving you grief when the facts are clear to see.

huckerby-noone but noone wanted to play for this club more than him,loyal and still obviously have the spark to turn a game around.

i cant remember if we have conceded 4 or 5 penalties never the less in 10 games thats poor.

we have one striker who has scored 3 in ten , multiply that by 4=12 hardly prolific...

hoolhan our new hero strugles in the reserves.

we sell our youth keeper to peterbourgh ,of which at a later date certain premership clubs are looking at him (so whoever thought he was the smart a** telling me i was a kid and generally been abusive) thats fact.

and then bring in a keeper older and not that impressive.

lose to ten men at home against a team whos away form last season was worse than ours is once again poor

so every one thats generally thrown abuse at me and telling me my age of which is way over the legal age by miles this is all fact of why i dont like roeder please look at his cv and ask the fans of his previous clubs what they think .

the club need a clear sweep freshening up..delias done her bit and cant afford it now, loan players go back thats no base to build from how can you expect a player to be loyal when his home is not here .

i hope everyone who reads this post and what i have written understand my concerns as a norwich fan,

dave stringer was my favorite manager,roeder doesnt come close.

I was at a meeting at the start of the season where Roger Munby was asked about the player budget for this season.He stated that the Board spoke to Roeder and he was given everything that he asked for so if that was the case do not use the excuse that Roeder has been hampered in the transfer market by lack of funds.I am not saying that he could not have done with more but if you dont ask you are not likely to get are you?

I think we all know this was said as cover for the board, it has to be. If Glenn got all the money he ASKED for and WANTED then surely we would not be relying on the loan market so heavily and spending low amounts of money on transfers.

Surely if he was allowed to have all the money he could ask for it would have been a hell of a lot more than he actually spent?

This sounds like a cheap cover up from the board, surely there was a limit they would go up to...

[quote user="topcanary1971"]right you pr**t ...norwich are third from bottom -correct??? is huckerby playing well in usa yes...is hoolihan-no, how many points have we- dont start throwing insults at me you muppet and before you jump to conclussions about me ..im a kid... i watched norwich win the milk cup and in comparrison we are poor ..so have a word with yourself mate..[/quote]Huckerby is playing well in the USA, but then Huckerby would play well in the Blue Square Premier because thats the standard American football is at! Huckerby didn''t play well for us last year, there''s a reason why he spent most of the season on the bench, he wasn''t the player he was, every Norwich fan, me included, loved Huckerby as he was one of our own, but he was past it, and you need to accept that. And we''re poor compared to the milk cup winning team? what a pathetic argument, we''re also better than the team we had this time last year!

[quote user="topcanary1971"]

i dont dissagree at all the last thing i would want to see is a situation like that.

my point is i dont rate roeder at all i feel he has made some poor errors in judement.

im passing on my opion and all you get is people giving you grief when the facts are clear to see.

huckerby-noone but noone wanted to play for this club more than him,loyal and still obviously have the spark to turn a game around.

i cant remember if we have conceded 4 or 5 penalties never the less in 10 games thats poor.

we have one striker who has scored 3 in ten , multiply that by 4=12 hardly prolific...

hoolhan our new hero strugles in the reserves.

we sell our youth keeper to peterbourgh ,of which at a later date certain premership clubs are looking at him (so whoever thought he was the smart a** telling me i was a kid and generally been abusive) thats fact.

and then bring in a keeper older and not that impressive.

lose to ten men at home against a team whos away form last season was worse than ours is once again poor

so every one thats generally thrown abuse at me and telling me my age of which is way over the legal age by miles this is all fact of why i dont like roeder please look at his cv and ask the fans of his previous clubs what they think .

the club need a clear sweep freshening up..delias done her bit and cant afford it now, loan players go back thats no base to build from how can you expect a player to be loyal when his home is not here .

i hope everyone who reads this post and what i have written understand my concerns as a norwich fan,

dave stringer was my favorite manager,roeder doesnt come close.

[/quote]Lupoli has scored 3 in ten, well tell me, has he started all ten games? played 90 minutes in each has he? if so you have a point, but guess what, he hasn''t. Hoolahan may provide the goods yet, don''t count him out already, remember Iwan Roberts? did you hate him when he first came to Norwich as well? Because he had a very slow start. If we had kept Joe Lewis, then teams like Man Utd and Arsenal wouldn''t be looking at him, because he wouldn''t be in our first team, and we brought in a keeper who is older and not that impressive? That again leads me to believe you don''t watch Norwich much because Marshall is superb, did you see him down at Southampton? oh there is a year between them, A YEAR, Marshall is still very young and only a year older than Lewis, and worth much more money! Derby were in the premiership last year, the away games are much tougher, hence why we didn''t win any, does that mean in our first season back in the championship you didn''t expect us to win any away games? Your coming out of this looking pretty stupid really aren''t you! But on a lighter note, glad you recognised that Delia has "done her bit" because a lot of fans seem to forget what she has done for us!

you think i look stupid..thats it keep making excuses for the players...they are not good enough ...if lupoli featured or started fact is fact he has 3

hoolihan oh he might get better- !!! what sort of thing is that to say he played in the reseves and looked awfull ,that is when he turns up for training and roeder isnt slatting him in the press.

if we were good dont you think we would beat teams like mk dons who are a leauge below us.

fact is fact leauge showing dont lie ,your the one who must be stupid to think  the lot we have are good.

i repeat myself two wins from ten ..your happy with that!!??-

and im stupid ... right ,carry on thinking everying is great anyone with half a brain can work out 2 from ten isnt alot..its black and white fact mate

i would also like to add if a manger was of any good ....he would see potential..ie joe lewis,and not get rid of him on the cheap ..you keep your best youngsters send them out on loan if need be like the big boys do.

can you imagine the grief  furguson would get if he sold a player for peanuts and another big club stepped in ..not good managerial skills is it.

[quote user="ellis206"] we''re also better than the team we had this time last year![/quote]Yes we are a better team we are fourth from bottom compared to bottom this time last year, well done all concerned.  It''s an imporvement I am sure we are all very proud of *tear trickles down side of face*.

well said st canary....a new look team and we are still in a relegation dog fight... "we will have new heros" roeder crys.......i wait for superman to turn up at half time..!!!

whilst roeders new heros dont turn up in time for training total comitment thats from a perminent signing mr hoolihan...

[quote user="topcanary1971"]horay some people are making sense well said mate,unlike some of the stupid people on here who think everything is great-hey i have news it isnt...[/quote]

Mate look at it this way are we in trouble? no the points margin in the league at the moment is nothing 5 points between us and playoffs. How can roeder create a solid team with no money? yes he''s clutching a straws with some many loans but thats all he can do to try and keep this club going.

Who would replace him? Would any other manager come into a club full of fickle supporters like yourself who throw grand statements around about sacking a manger that i believe will do well for us and saved us last season?

And who would want to join a club at a time when we a) we have no transfer budget b)the current turmoil within the club i/e selling it etc etc

Its easy to run your mouth and start saying sack roeder but you got to be thick to post it on here without any solid grounds to way he should go. Assumptions are one thing and you got plently of them.

sorry mate and the assumption i have is his track record..

if we are in the same boat as alot of championship teams finacially then obviously sitting at the bottom of the leauge means the players who he has brought in arnt good enough.

im not sure if this is true bertrand cost almost 1 million for us to get on loan.

solid ground is his cv and league position and clearly the players hes released or sold on the cheap.

[quote user="topcanary1971"]

sorry mate and the assumption i have is his track record..

if we are in the same boat as alot of championship teams finacially then obviously sitting at the bottom of the leauge means the players who he has brought in arnt good enough.

im not sure if this is true bertrand cost almost 1 million for us to get on loan.

solid ground is his cv and league position and clearly the players hes released or sold on the cheap.

[/quote]

league position? like i mentioned 5 points between us a play offs isn''t nothing at this stage in the season. It''s funny hows you mention his track record he hasn''t done bad for us has he when he saved us from relegation.

1 million can you prove that or is that talk from forums?

You haven''t answered all my questions from my last post have you?

And again his CV:

Managerial and coaching career

[edit] Gillingham

Roeder spent one season as player-manager of Gillingham, during which time he led the side to 13 wins in 51 games and saw them finish second from bottom of the Football League, escaping relegation after winning against bottom club Halifax Town in the penultimate fixture of the season.

[edit] Watford

After Steve Perryman left to join Tottenham Hotspur, Roeder was hired as the new manager of his former club Watford at the start of the 1993–94 season. In his second season with Watford he almost took the side to the play-offs, eventually finishing just two places outside them. However, he was sacked in February 1996 as the side were struggling at the bottom of the First Division. His replacement, Graham Taylor, was unable to prevent the side from being relegated. During his time at Vicerage Road he signed Kevin Phillips from local Hertfordshire team, Baldock Town for only £10,000.

[edit] Burnley

Roeder followed his tenure at Watford by taking a season away from the limelight, assuming a back seat role as Chris Waddle''s assistant manager at Burnley. The partnership did not prove to be successful and the pair narrowly avoided steering Burnley into the bottom tier of English football. Only a home victory over Plymouth Argyle on the last day staved off the spectre of relegation. Roeder proved to be both an unpopular and controversial figure to the Burnley fans, hitting a low point when he was reported to have said that star-player Glen Little was "not fit to lace the boots" of manager Chris Waddle. Roeder left his role at Burnley alongside Waddle when the pair departed the club after only a single season in charge.[citation needed]

[edit] England

Roeder then worked as a coach under Glenn Hoddle for the England national team, before West Ham manager Harry Redknapp offered him an opportunity in club football again in 1999.[1]

[edit] West Ham United

In the summer of 2001, Roeder was handed a chance to manage in the Premier League at West Ham United after the Hammers failed to attract Steve McClaren or Alan Curbishley after Redknapp''s departure.[2] Roeder''s appointment was opposed by some supporters, who had expected a bigger name to replace Redknapp.[3] Roeder received a £15 million transfer kitty, and guided West Ham to seventh in his first season in charge. He signed David James from Aston Villa, Tomas Repka from ACF Fiorentina for £5.5 million, and Don Hutchison from Sunderland for £5 million.

In the 2002–03 season, West Ham struggled. Repka had serious disciplinary problems amassing ten yellow cards and one red card in thirty-two league appearances. Don Hutchison turned out to be very injury-prone on his second spell with the club, playing only ten league games that season. West Ham were bottom at Christmas and at that time no team had avoided relegation from that position. Despite the January signings of Rufus Brevett, Lee Bowyer on a short-term deal, and Les Ferdinand, Roeder was unable to halt the team''s slump. Roeder had a dispute with striker Paolo Di Canio after he substituted Di Canio in a match against West Bromwich Albion.[4] In April 2003, Roeder suffered a brain tumour and was replaced by Trevor Brooking for the final three games of the season.[5] Despite a late rally, West Ham were relegated with a record number of 42 points.

Roeder returned to work in July 2003, stating he had "unfinished business".[6] In the 2003 close season, many of West Ham''s star players, such as Trevor Sinclair, Joe Cole and Frédéric Kanouté left the club as a result of relegation. Roeder was sacked by West Ham in August 2003, following a defeat to Rotherham United.[7]

[edit] Newcastle United

After nearly two years out of the game, he returned to football in June 2005 when he was named youth-development manager of Newcastle United.[8] Graeme Souness was sacked as Newcastle manager in February 2006, following his dismissal, Roeder was appointed caretaker manager, with striker Alan Shearer as his assistant.[9] He was able to turn the Magpies'' season around, rescuing them from near the foot of the table to finish seventh in the Premier League with a place in the Intertoto Cup. Freddy Shepherd, Newcastle United''s chairman, consequently named Roeder as first in line to become full-time manager at the club, on condition that Newcastle obtain dispensation from the FA Premier League to allow Roeder to continue without the mandatory UEFA Pro Licence. Newcastle claim exceptional circumstances as Roeder was halfway to gaining the licence when he suffered his brain tumour.[10] The Premier League at first rejected Newcastle''s request on 3 May 2006, the organisation had little choice, as they are bound by UEFA rules. However, Freddy Shepherd lobbied his fellow chairmen and they voted in favour of Roeder being allowed to gain the correct licence while in the job. Roeder was named as Newcastle''s permanent manager on 16 May, signing a two year contract with the club.[11]

On June 1, 2006, Roeder appointed Kevin Bond as his assistant.[12] Roeder had worked with Bond at West Ham where Bond was a scout. Roeder believed the two of them would work well together, however Bond''s contract at the club was terminated after allegations he was prepared to take bungs for players whilst at Portsmouth.[13] On the 22 October 2006, Roeder announced that, ex-Middlesbrough player and recent care-taker manager of West Brom, Nigel Pearson would be his new assistant manager.[14]

Under Roeder, Newcastle won the 2006 Intertoto Cup by virtue of being the furthest placed team to advance from the Intertoto Cup into the UEFA Cup. This made Roeder the first manager to win a trophy for Newcastle since 1969.[15] After the 1-0 defeat to Sheffield United at home on November 4, 2006, there was a fan protest outside St. James'' Park, that was shown live on Sky channel PremPlus.[16] However, notably much of the fans'' criticism was directed at the chairman, Freddy Shepherd, and not specifically at the manager himself. Roeder''s fortune didn''t improve, as Newcastle''s league form was inconsistent, majorly due to first-team player injuries and having to rely on in-experienced players from United''s Youth Academy to compete at top flight level, with Newcastle maintaining a mid-table position. After guiding Newcastle to just one win in ten games, Roeder was summoned to an emergency board meeting on May 6, 2007.[17] It was revealed he had resigned with immediate effect.[18][19][20][21][22]

Roeder won 45% of his matches, enough in a single season to qualify for European competition.[23] His departure was met with a mixed reaction from fans. Whilst some fans acknowledged the difficulties he faced in keeping senior players uninjured and respected his achievements as a defender in the 1980''s, other fans were farther intrigued by the availability of Sam Allardyce who had resigned from Bolton Wanderers just weeks before.

Former Bolton boss Sam Allardyce was named as his replacement on May 15, 2007.[24][25][26]

[edit] Norwich City

In October 2007, Roeder joined Championship side Norwich City, signing a contract until 2010, with Norwich bottom of the league four points adrift of safety.[27] His first game in charge was on 4 November in the East Anglian Derby against Ipswich Town, a match that ended 2–2 after Norwich had been 2–0 down at half-time. His first win came in the home game against Coventry City (24 November), which he followed up with a first away win of the season for Norwich in the 3-1 defeating of fellow strugglers Blackpool (27 November), who previously had not lost at home that season. He then guided the team out of the relegation zone with wins over Plymouth Argyle, Sheffield United, Scunthorpe United, Barnsley, Southampton, Preston North End and Cardiff City. The Canaries rose rapidly up the table as a result of this good run of form and, at one stage, it looked as though they could make a shock late burst into the play-offs, similar to the run under Nigel Worthington in the 2001/2002 season. Roeder began an overhaul of the squad in the January transfer window, releasing players who had been signed by his predecessor and who he did not consider to have a future at the club. He made the loan signing of Matty Pattison permanent and also renewed the loan deals for Ched Evans and Mo Camara. Also Roeder signed four loan signings including Matthew Bates, Keiran Gibbs, Alex Pearce and James Henry. Despite a poor run of form through February and March, Roeder kept Norwich in the Championship for another season.

On 25 July 2008, Roeder was fined £1,000 and given a suspended two match touchline ban at a FA disciplinary hearing after criticising referee Andy D''Urso following Norwich''s 2-1 defeat to Bristol City at Ashton Gate on 29 March.[28] Both Roeder and assistant Lee Clark reacted angrily to Bristol City being awarded a 91st minute free kick from which they scored the winner. Clark was given a one match touchline ban and fined £500 for his part in the incident. They were both warned by The FA about their future conduct

One day the penny might dropeth!    [:|]

well if the leauge position roeders cv and the newspaper articles arnt proof enough and the many articles of how well huckerbys played arnt enough i dont know what to say ,a year to bring in a proven striker of which hasnt happened ...shall i continue..

No one is saying Roeder is perfect.  But it makes no sense to sack him..... We''d have even less money to spend on players as he''d have to be paid off - along with his coaching team.  We need stability more than anything, if we sacked Roeder we''d be right back at square one.  But problem is now our fans want everything instantly and will not give anyone any time.  Not saying GR has made no mistakes, it just makes no sense whatsoever.  Would probably cost about £1m to sack all Roeder''s staff.

Also, Brighton beat Man City the other week didn''t they, does mean they''re as bad as us ''cause we couldn''t beat a L1 team either?  Thought not.

You say the people who aren''t moaning about GR have with rose-tinted specks, surely your just as blinkered as you don''t do anything but moaning TC?

If he was sacked tell me who''d you''d replace him with?  And if things still didnt get better, sack the next one?

Give it a rest Wiz. Stop pasting that all over the forum. If people want to go on Wikipedia they will. Most people know his past record, but most people also realise there is no-one better, and in that im including your Steve - bloody - Tilson.

[quote user="topcanary1971"]well if the leauge position roeders cv and the newspaper articles arnt proof enough and the many articles of how well huckerbys played arnt enough i dont know what to say ,a year to bring in a proven striker of which hasnt happened ...shall i continue..[/quote]

Again still havent answered my questions! give it a rest if you have on agrument...