Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Koroma & Nelson double signing

With what they''re saying about him it sounds like he''ll be handy, if a bit raw.

Can''t say I''m much of a fan of Spillane though, can''t see him making it.

[quote user="scott"]Nelson was released by Leyton Orient, one Dvision below us who struggle to attract 5000 crowds. The boy from Portsmouth probably hasn''t played much 1st team football (if at all?) and could turn out to be as inadequate as what messrs Henry and  Gibbs were last season!                                                                        I don''t like sounding pessimistic but for a club of our size and potential these signings just stink of cheap options and are very uninspiring for our 23000+ regular supporters!                                                                                                                                                                               [/quote]

Of course it''s a cheap option, he''s a reserve keeper! Would you rather we spent half the bloomin budget on a guy who''ll maybe only play in the league cup or if there''s an injury to Marshy? Sunderland have just signed Nick Colgan as back up keeper to Craig Gordon. Do you think their fans are accusing their board of a lack of ambition? [:@]

i think it''s fair enough to reserve judgement on this lad from Portsmouth until we''ve seen him a few times. He''s clearly untested and is a definite gamble. Why do people get so ridiculously carried away. Remember how great Dave Striker was going to be? Let''s wait and see before we brand him brilliant or crap.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Quote fom Roeder:

But Roeder said it was important not to expect too much too soon from Koroma.“He''s 18. Supporters are going to have to be patient with him. He''ll make a few mistakes

I''m sure Championship defenders will be lenient towards us and him..............a quite appalling signing for a club claiming to be ambitious![:@]

[/quote]

Wasn''t Evans untested and raw last season? OK he could be a load of tosh but looking at the size of him he could equally be the next Yakubu! Clearly Redknapp thinks highly of him and he seems to get more right than wrong when signing players.

To me, Roeder''s comments point at 2 things;

1. He is taking some pressure of the boy.
  2. He is unlikely to be first choice initially assuming we sign the further striker mentioned on numerous occasions and Lupoli''s clearance comes through. I would expect him to be bench warming with Cureton

With regards to those commenting on signing Nelson you would presumably prefer us to be spending the £300,000 mentioned for the Hungarian guy? Always assuming there isn''t another keeper on his way[;)]. I can see him doing a similar job to the likes of Crichton i.e signed purely as a back up. If Marshall gets crocked badly the expect us to sign a prem reserve keeper on loan.

[quote user="scott"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="scott"]Nelson was released by Leyton Orient, one Dvision below us who struggle to attract 5000 crowds. The boy from Portsmouth probably hasn''t played much 1st team football (if at all?) and could turn out to be as inadequate as what messrs Henry and  Gibbs were last season!                                                                        I don''t like sounding pessimistic but for a club of our size and potential these signings just stink of cheap options and are very uninspiring for our 23000+ regular supporters!                                                                                                                                                                               [/quote]

Henry was useless but Gibbs was decent, just unspectacular.

Anyways, what if he''s in the Ryan Bertrand or Ched Evans category of just being pure class?

It''ll be nice to have someone in the team with genuine pace like this guy should have.

[/quote] Gibbs was decent!!!!!!!! - You are having a laugh! - Lightweight who made no mark on any game he played for us. His best two games were his last 2 home games when he passed it sideways and backwards and tryed to kung fu kick the ball instread of trying to head the ball on goal - Sorry but Gibbs was very poor!                                                                                      - Though I hope your right and this Portsmouth guy does turn out Evans was last season![/quote]

Yes, Gibbs was decent. We all see the game differently and after a shaky start he improved exponentially,..to the point where I was hoping for his name on the teamsheet rather than Rusty''s

....Heresy on this board I know. There''s much more to Kieran Gibb''s game than a battling spirit!

I trust Arsene Wenger''s & Roeder''s jugdement of a player over Gibb''s detractors on here.

[quote user="walks on water"][quote user="scott"][quote user="GJP"]

Henry was useless but Gibbs was decent, just unspectacular.

Anyways, what if he''s in the Ryan Bertrand or Ched Evans category of just being pure class?

It''ll be nice to have someone in the team with genuine pace like this guy should have.

[/quote] Gibbs was decent!!!!!!!! - You are having a laugh! - Lightweight who made no mark on any game he played for us. His best two games were his last 2 home games when he passed it sideways and backwards and tryed to kung fu kick the ball instread of trying to head the ball on goal - Sorry but Gibbs was very poor!                                                                                      - Though I hope your right and this Portsmouth guy does turn out Evans was last season![/quote]

Yes, Gibbs was decent. We all see the game differently and after a shaky start he improved exponentially,..to the point where I was hoping for his name on the teamsheet rather than Rusty''s

....Heresy on this board I know. There''s much more to Kieran Gibb''s game than a battling spirit!

I trust Arsene Wenger''s & Roeder''s JUDGEMENT of a player over Gibb''s detractors on here.

[/quote]

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="10 Bryceland"]And your alternative is? [/quote]

Bring in a board with some balls.

[/quote]You''ve not seen him Waz so how can you judge.I''d say signing him DID take balls. So did telling Brady where to go even when we needed taylorThis current board is fantastic. long may they stay

OK I do understand that we aren''t going to spend loads on a reserve keeper but this guy Robson is still very uninspiring. We had Gilks from Rochdale last year who was one of their best players and from watching him play in the reserves I could see he was a more than handy keeper who would of been up to the job had Marshall dropped out, this Nelson guy just seems like a journeyman!

As for the Portsmouth guy, yes hes a cheap option but then again he should have pace and might turn out like Ched Evans!

Yes I''d agree that Spillane is unlikely to make it but he wasn''t given a decent chance last season. He had a couple of games in midfield where he got stuck in and impressed me - Thats more than the waste of space Gibbs who done nowt. I can''t believe someone else thought he was decent and was hoping he''d play instead of Russell. Just cause hes from Arsenal doesn''t mean hes any good!

Who had heard of Ched when he came? Not many people I imagine. Yes Wiz, he is not exactly Phillips or King. But we have the chance to get a new Ched and I trust GR and Redknap more than you Wiz, he must have something otherwise he would not have been signed yes?

[quote user="scott"]

Yes I''d agree that Spillane is unlikely to make it but he wasn''t given a decent chance last season. He had a couple of games in midfield where he got stuck in and impressed me - Thats more than the waste of space Gibbs who done nowt. I can''t believe someone else thought he was decent and was hoping he''d play instead of Russell. Just cause hes from Arsenal doesn''t mean hes any good!

[/quote]

Ok so Spillane impressed you whereas Gibbs was a waste of space...

Arsene Wenger is one of the best (maybe the best) judges of player ability/talent in the game, if he had to pick between Gibbs and Spillane who do you think he would pick?

[quote user="scott"]

[/quote]

I know. I couldn''t believe how quickly Bambi turned into a player I''d rather have playing than Rusty

...but then I based that on what I saw ( & not some blind belief in The Professor )

..although I maintain that he''s a better judge of a player than you scott

maybe I am too [:D]

Although I do agree that Spillane looked really handy when he played in midfield under Grant (-just before he was sent off )

Back to Gibbs though, I just can''t believe how some cannopt see his class.             Takes all sorts to make a world I guess.

[quote user="walks on water"][quote user="scott"]

[/quote]

I know. I couldn''t believe how quickly Bambi turned into a player I''d rather have playing than Rusty

...but then I based that on what I saw ( & not some blind belief in The Professor )

..although I maintain that he''s a better judge of a player than you scott

maybe I am too [:D]

I do agree that Spillane looked really handy when he played in midfield under Grant (-just before he was sent off )

Back to Gibbs though, I just can''t believe how some cannopt see his class.             Takes all sorts to make a world I guess.

[/quote]

I really must reread before posting [au]