Sign in to follow this  
jim blair

Mark Fotheringham

Lets face some facts here, no matter what strikers we sign, any team with the most overated player in the clubs history in the middle of the park will not finish top 6. cant pass, cant shoot, cant tackle.Big fan of Roeders but he has this one completely wrong!! can anybody tell me what i am missing?

I agree. I don''t think Fozzy is a very good player, at best an average championship midfielder. I would go for a centre-mid partnership of Clingan and Russell [Y]

I''m so tired of this argument. An excellent player at this level and was a fantastic captain last year. Seems to have developed a real passion for the club........and you''ve only got to look at how bad we were when he wasn''t in the side.

Well, Mark Fotheringhams shooting ability, from what we''ve seen, isn''t great. However it bewilders me how people can claim that he can''t pass or tackle, when he regularly did that last season, better than most other players.

[quote user="hogesar"]Well, Mark Fotheringhams shooting ability, from what we''ve seen, isn''t great. However it bewilders me how people can claim that he can''t pass or tackle, when he regularly did that last season, better than most other players.
[/quote]

But even then he managed to bang a couple in last year didnt he? More than Lee Croft managed I believe.

He cant shoot but has one of the best passes in our team, he is a top captain too. One of our most valuable players!

i said this a while a go.  He can tackle and as captain he can motivate the players and thats about it otherwise he is slow, cant pass, cant shoot (but yet he always takes the free kicks and corners).  Although he will probabaly be Roeders main choice id much prefer him to be back up to clinghan and russell.

I seem to remember that it was Fozzy''s corner which created Russell''s goal on Tuesday. You could argue that this got us off to a good start from which we could relax and string some passes together.It may be in the course of time that he will be seen to be a weak link, but who would replace him, - Russell, Bell, Spillane? I doubt if any of them would be any better.He is a reasonably good passer, who can bring into play Hoolahan or Croft/Bell, above all he is tireless and full of enthusiasm - in fact a very superior version of Hughes. W may see that with Clingan playing the the holding role, and a reliable defence behind him, Fozzy is able to venture further forward. We may see more of him.

[quote user="barlodona"]

How can you say he is a good passer??????????  He gives the ball away every time

[/quote]

Were you at the southampton game? We were getting battered until Fozzy came on and was the only player willing to put his foot on theb ball and play passes through the oposition rather than big hoofs.

i dont want to think about fozzy and clingan in midfield together! we need goals from all around the park! not just the strikers! neither are a 8goal man who could help us out

[quote user="barlodona"]

How can you say he is a good passer??????????  He gives the ball away every time

[/quote]

I really challenge that. Fozzy is not an Ian Crook type player where he will split a defence everytime but he keeps the game ticking over, always on for a pass and doesnt shy away from responsibility. Its a fact that Midfielders do lose the ball. e ball. Its called taking risks. Those that dont lose passes are those that play it safe everytime.

Pace.....how is that an important attribute for a holding midfielder??

[quote user="barlodona"]i said this a while a go.  He can tackle and as captain he can motivate the players and thats about it otherwise he is slow, cant pass, cant shoot (but yet he always takes the free kicks and corners).  Although he will probabaly be Roeders main choice id much prefer him to be back up to clinghan and russell.[/quote]

How can you say Clingan should be in the team? We haven''t really seen him play for Norwich yet! Strikes me as a bit weird.

Fozzy keeps the ball moving. Although it''s not a recognised "skill" per se, it''s a valuable asset and it keeps the opposition on the back foot.

I also dont understand how some fans cant see how good Fozzy actually is.

He is by far the best passer at the club, the only reason people notice him giving it away sometimes is because he usually has the ball more often than the others. Also his awareness is on another level and often his passes are not read by his team mates.

I do agree however that his shooting isnt the best and needs to get stuck in, but I believe his shooting has been improving. He also takes a quality corner and free kick - hence we have scored more from set pieces since he has been in the team.

Fozzy is one of these players that seems to give his efforts and they often go unnoticed purely because he isn''t all hustle and bustle. He is the driving force in the midfield, he can hold the ball up, his passing may not the best but he SURE if better than bloody Pattison, his determination and passion and love for this club now is higher than most in the squad.

I can see Clingan being used as a cover for central mid and center back to be honest... I see very few flaws between Fozzy and Russell''s partnership in MF.

I am a big fozzy fan and think he was a real asset last season - he is a very good captain, his passion is there for all to see, and he has fantastic vision and can pick a pass.The other thing, which has not been mentioned in this thread thus far, which both me and my dad noticed last season, is his movement. He is always open for a pass and gives players an outlet when they''re in possession. He is always moving and looking for the ball and making himself available, this is one of his key attributes in my opinion, and a big part of his game, and a big factor in why we are more successful with him involved in the team than when he isn''t.Fozzy is a decent championship midfielder and i think next season we will see his class shine through.

[quote user="Carrow Roeder"]Fozzy is one of these players that seems to give his efforts and they often go unnoticed purely because he isn''t all hustle and bustle. He is the driving force in the midfield, he can hold the ball up, his passing may not the best but he SURE if better than bloody Pattison, his determination and passion and love for this club now is higher than most in the squad. I can see Clingan being used as a cover for central mid and center back to be honest... I see very few flaws between Fozzy and Russell''s partnership in MF.[/quote]

It seems to be thing with football fans in england is that we value hard work above skill very often.

King Canary, Safri scored 3 goals in in 83 career games for us, Fotheringham has 2 goals in 42 games.

Russell only has a couple since rejoining us, Pattison has none (no surprise) It is not solely Mark that fails to score goals a respectable amount of goals in midfield, it''s practically all of them!

[quote user="jim blair"]Lets face some facts here, no matter what strikers we sign, any team with the most overated player in the clubs history in the middle of the park will not finish top 6. cant pass, cant shoot, cant tackle.Big fan of Roeders but he has this one completely wrong!! can anybody tell me what i am missing?[/quote]YOU UTTER MORONSTHE FACTS DONT LIEWITHOUT FOZZY, CITY BOTTOM OF THE LEAGUEWITH FOZZY, TOUCHING DISTANCE OF PLAYOFFSNO COINCIDENCEFOZZY MAKES US TICK LIKE SAFRI USED TOMOST OVERRATED PLAYER IN CLUBS HISTORY? YOUR BLIND...

[quote user="barlodona"]

[/quote]

you  must  be on a wind up, or dont go to games.

[quote user="barlodona"]

[/quote]RIDICULOUS STATEMENT, BUY THE BLOODY REVIEW DVD AND THEN SAY IT AGAIN.THIS IS REALLY STARTING TO PISS ME OFF

Carrow Roeder- Was making a point about Fozzy''s shooting not being as bad as some claim. Thanks for the stats!

Regarding Fozzy''s goals... he got 3 last season in all comps (1 against Barnet, 2 in the league). It should be added though his goals against Barnsley and QPR both took huge deflections.

[quote user="Salopian"]I seem to remember that it was Fozzy''s corner which created Russell''s goal on Tuesday. You could argue that this got us off to a good start from which we could relax and string some passes together.It may be in the course of time that he will be seen to be a weak link, but who would replace him, - Russell, Bell, Spillane? I doubt if any of them would be any better.He is a reasonably good passer, who can bring into play Hoolahan or Croft/Bell, above all he is tireless and full of enthusiasm - in fact a very superior version of Hughes. W may see that with Clingan playing the the holding role, and a reliable defence behind him, Fozzy is able to venture further forward. We may see more of him.[/quote]EXCELLENT POST, SPOT ONFOZZY MAY BE NO ZIDANE BUT HIS FIRST THOUGHT IS ALWAYS THE POSITVE FORWARD PASS, WHETHER IT COMES OFF OR NOT IT GETS THE BALL FORWARD, AND CITY ON THE FRONT FOOT. I REMEMBER PLENTY OF OUTSTANDING PASSES LAST SEASON, IF PEOPLE WHO BASH HIM CANT THEY MUST BE BLIND OR NOT WATCHING ENOUGH, OR INDEED AT ALL.SECONDLY HE''S INVOLVED IN EVERY 50/50 IN THE MIDDLE OF PARK, OFTEN WINNING THEM, MORE SO THAN ANY OTHER PLAYER I BELIEVE.

[quote user="billy bunter"]

well one of fozzy and sammy playing is fine, both is disaster

[/quote]Im sure Roeder is aware of that, last time i looked he was a professional football manager....

I do think he has his off days, but overall his passing is accurate and always attacking! I would love to see him and russell back CM throughout the season!

Also, the way he gets the fans going when we have a corner/attacking throw in  is awesome!

I have no doubt that he has a real passion for the club!