Sign in to follow this  
SnakepitCanary

Oh, we've now been linked with Mifsud

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]The thing about a big, strong target man is that he offers you options.  Remember one of our most successful scoring partnerships of recent years - Roberts and Bellamy.  Big man, little man.  Bellers had the pace and the control to get the ball at his feet, whilst Iwan could flick the ball on, hold it up, bring others into play and, obviously, score himself.  The only problem I find with two little men is that its easy for the opposition to snuff you out since all they have to do is restrict the supply to feet and they''ve stifled you.  A big man offers you the chance to knock it long in such situations and challenge elsewhere, mix it up a little bit, give you options going forward.  It only encourages the hoof-ball if you''ve got players in your back line/deep midfield who are tactically naive... ie, Doherty and Shackell, one of whom probably won''t be a regular this season.....
[/quote]

hallelujah

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="JC"]

We only seem to be after short strikers!!  Is it a cunning plan?

[/quote]

I hope so... big men just encourage the hoof.. small nippy strikers mean we need to pass th eball round to find space.. will be a test of how good (or bad!) we really are... look at man utd.. rooney, Tevez a couple of Pint size players... even Ronaldo isnt the tallest when compared to other strikers at other teams...

if we keep the ball and pass it well these small guys can get chances... id be glad if we didnt sign a target man full stop

jas :)

[/quote]thats never stopped us before!! whenever we play midgets up front we seem to pump long balls up to them...........

While agree it is ok in some games.  On a dark Tueday night in the rain against some huge hoofball side I believe a big target is neccesary.  Also if the pressure is on a target man can come on and try to hold the ball upfield.We need at least on 6+ plus strong striker, its a fact of life for the Championship.  We are not Man Utd.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="ncfc_chris"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

arent all the big name strikers mentioned above under 6ft though?

[/quote]

a couple yes but my point isnt that we necasarily need a giant up front but that having 2 tiny players who are both lightweight simply won''t work because they''ll just get outmuscled by defenders all of the time

[/quote]

see my comment about passing the ball and finding space....

[/quote]

[quote user="JC"]We need at least on 6+ plus strong striker, its a fact of life for the Championship.  We are not Man Utd.[/quote]

I completely agree.  Any striker we get must definitely be older than 6... at least 9, I''d say...

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="JC"]We need at least on 6+ plus strong striker, its a fact of life for the Championship.  We are not Man Utd.[/quote]

I completely agree.  Any striker we get must definitely be older than 6... at least 9, I''d say...[/quote]is 9 too old? I have my reservations........

''

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="JC"]We need at least on 6+ plus strong striker, its a fact of life for the Championship.  We are not Man Utd.[/quote]

I completely agree.  Any striker we get must definitely be older than 6... at least 9, I''d say...[/quote]

Anyone remember a game where we started with McVeigh and Earnie up front? Probably hasn''t been a smaller strike force ever, yet they were sublime off the ball. It could have been a masterstroke, had we had the players to feed them where they wanted it but we didn''t and I would guess we never will.

Tevez and Rooney are short@rses but they have Giggs, Carrick, Scholes, Hargeaves, Nani, Ronaldo, Rio, etc all able to play the ball where they want it. We certainly didnt have this at the time and I would worry we don''t know, although Wes, Fozzie and Clingan seem to have a bit more about them than Hughes, Etuhu and Robinson!

[quote user="rum-ole-boy"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="JC"]

[/quote]

I hope so... big men just encourage the hoof.. small nippy strikers mean we need to pass th eball round to find space.. will be a test of how good (or bad!) we really are... look at man utd.. rooney, Tevez a couple of Pint size players... even Ronaldo isnt the tallest when compared to other strikers at other teams...

if we keep the ball and pass it well these small guys can get chances... id be glad if we didnt sign a target man full stop

[/quote]

thats never stopped us before!! whenever we play midgets up front we seem to pump long balls up to them...........
[/quote]

I agree completely R.O.B! I remember Earnshaw going up for headers with 6'' plus centre backs! To resolve that problem we need to have a decent centre back to distribute the ball, rather than the usual hoof from the Doc!

Back to the subject of Mifsud, I really hope this transfer goes through. I remember last season when he came off the bench at Carrow Rd. The man has got blistering pace, he really made you sit up and take notice of him! He''s got the nick name the Maltese Mosquito!

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"][quote user="rum-ole-boy"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="JC"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

thats never stopped us before!! whenever we play midgets up front we seem to pump long balls up to them...........
[/quote]

I agree completely R.O.B! I remember Earnshaw going up for headers with 6'' plus centre backs! To resolve that problem we need to have a decent centre back to distribute the ball, rather than the usual hoof from the Doc!

Back to the subject of Mifsud, I really hope this transfer goes through. I remember last season when he came off the bench at Carrow Rd. The man has got blistering pace, he really made you sit up and take notice of him! He''s got the nick name the Maltese Mosquito!

[/quote]

He will end up at Bristol City or Palarse, they both have more ambition than us!.

I agree it''s worth having one tall striker as an option for a tactical change, but I reckon pace & skill will generally get more results. It occurs to me that the Championship is full of centre backs who are a little past their prime (Stefanovich? Whoops!) & are more likely to be troubled by a nippy little striker than a big physical one they can keep up with.How tall was George Best? And he was a skinny little bugger too.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Yellow Submarine"][quote user="rum-ole-boy"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="JC"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He will end up at Bristol City or Palarse, they both have more ambition than us!.

[/quote]

Go some where else with your pessimistic out look NCFC 1st wizard! Or why don''t you go back to the "Lupoli- season long loan!" thread where you was busted for your remarks about Clive Platt!  

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"]

Go some where else with your pessimistic out look NCFC 1st wizard!

[/quote]

If you think I''m going to take any notice of a 9 post wonder like you sonny.......then think again!.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

If you think I''m going to take any notice of a 9 post wonder like you sonny.......then think again!.

[/quote]

9 posts or 9 million posts, he still has a point, you are a pessimistic old fart...bugger off! Why do you bother supporting Norwich?

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, Yellow Submarine, how dare you? If you''d have been around here as

long as the respected elders, you''d know that before you can pass

judgment on anything you must first have at least 4-5 years'' experience

of sitting in your chair, grumbling to yourself whilst dabbing at the

foam around your mouth and changing your mind about 15 times a day.*

*This must also extend to your private life, including such scenarios

as ordering a sandwich: "Hello, I''d like a ham sandwich please, on

white bread.  No wait, on brown bread.  No, cheese.  On

white bread.  With ham.  And a pickle.  On brown

bread.  What? Ham? Good grief, no, I hate ham, I never said

that.  I''ll be writing to the EDP about this........"

[quote user="Take me home...Carrow Road"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

9 posts or 9 million posts, he still has a point, you are a pessimistic old fart...bugger off! Why do you bother supporting Norwich?

[/quote]

Err? on yer bike!..........for 5 years on here children like you have told me to bugger off..........guess what?

This is a City message board pal where ALL views and opinions are welcome, not just the ones that you like!!.

You and your ilk need to learn that being anti board and manager is not anti club.[:|]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Take me home...Carrow Road"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Err? on yer bike!..........for 5 years on here children like you have told me to bugger off..........guess what?

This is a City message board pal where ALL views and opinions are welcome, not just the ones that you like!!.

You and your ilk need to learn that being anti board and manager is not anti club.[:|]

[/quote]

But you are the one acting like a child. Just being ridiculously negative about everything...just to get attention. So before branding other''s as children..take a look at yourself. You feel the need to comment on everything don''t you? Whether you actually care or not. Just to get a little bit more attention. Bet you love this don''t you? But obviously that many posts makes you untouchable hey? You''re right....everybody...including the ones who know how to run a football club (and before you argue that...we aren''t in financial trouble and certainly not in administration, so they must be doing something correctly)...is wrong, yeah?

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Take me home...Carrow Road"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"]Go some where else with your pessimistic out look NCFC 1st wizard!

[/quote]If you think I''m going to take any notice of a 9 post wonder like you sonny.......then think again!.

[/quote]9 posts or 9 million posts, he still has a point, you are a pessimistic old fart...bugger off! Why do you bother supporting Norwich? [/quote]Err? on yer bike!..........for 5 years on here children like you have told me to bugger off..........guess what?

You and your ilk need to learn that being anti board and manager is not anti club.[:|][/quote]Does that include me wiz ?   [*-)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s incredible how you have such high regard for yourself 1st Wizard? YES this is a city board where all views and opinions are welcome. But my don''t you shoot down anyone that has shares an opinion that differs from yours. So what! i''ve only made 9 posts?(10 now) should we all change user names on here to numbers, so with that theory you would be number 1 and i''d be number 9,999...? And I would call the numbers above me my master, and any number bellow me as Minions?!

[quote user="ron obvious"]How much is he?[/quote]Wouldn''t be suprised if he was a million, although if we aare willing to waste that money on Carroll, I''d rather us use it on Mifsud. I''ll continue to sit here for another week or so with fingers, toes and whatever else I can cross, until we sign a proven goal scorer

Funnily enough, I''m sure Mifsud was heavily touted as a "potential good buy" on this board before he joined Coventry - somebody who had seen him play a few times if I remember rightly.

Mark .Y.

NORWICH CITY are leading the race to sign Michael Mifsud, according to reports.

The Maltese international, who bagged 17 goals for the Sky Blues last season, handed in an official transfer request today.

The Pink ''Un says that Glenn Roeder is leading the race for the pint-sized striker''s signature as he attempts to beef up his strike-force for the new season.

Roeder has already contacted the Sky Blues about 27-year-old Mifsud''s availability.

The Canaries are due to be Coventry''s opponents at the Ricoh on August 9 - the first day of the new season.

Glen --- Buy Buy BUY we need this guy.

Please lets sign him! My Malta shirt and flag are at the ready! Has pace to burn and given the right service will get goals. He had a drought after Xmas but that was predominantely down to CC playing him out wide.

I never thought i would see the day a Maltese player would play for City! (well apart from me in my dreams!) So come on...make it happen!

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

Please lets sign him! My Malta shirt and flag are at the ready! Has pace to burn and given the right service will get goals. He had a drought after Xmas but that was predominantely down to CC playing him out wide.

I never thought i would see the day a Maltese player would play for City! (well apart from me in my dreams!) So come on...make it happen!

[/quote]

A drought that lasted 19 games....

Depends on the fee really. Any more than £500K and I think I would pass.

[quote user="JC"]

[quote user="Salahuddin"]Would be a good signing, but only if we also signed a big man up front as well[/quote]

[/quote]

Cunning plan is.....

stick Doc up front!