Sign in to follow this  
Wings

Sammy Clingan, Andy Cole, giving players a chance and new signings

I remember a time when Norwich City, fresh from a very successful Premiership campaign received a bid of £5mil from Blackburn Rovers for a certain Chris Sutton. Devastated though we were, Chris moved on and his replacement was Crewe''s Ashley Ward who had been performing well for them. He came here and some so called fans were knocking him as a Sutton replacement before he had even donned the shirt. That for me was the first time I had encountered such judgementalism in football.

Now, it''s an every day part of the game.  Every player will be compared to the last successful player who played that position and comes out pretty much every time unfavourably. The examples are endless - how many players have been quoted as "No Mark Edworthy"? I remember that being said about Jurgen Colin before he''d even played.

These days, this practice has expanded. Any player over 30 is "past it". Regardless of who it may well be. Any player on a free is obviously not very good as his previous club would''ve kept him if he was. Players from Scotland are all rubbish regardless. All these preconceptions from what? Some are born out of previous experiences with bad purchases. Others are from sheer prejudices.

I for one look forward to seeing what Sammy Clingan can do for us - and if Andy Cole signs I will remain open minded as to his impact at this club. If it''s one thing football has taught me (and this is especially pertinent following the Croatia v Turkey game) is that football is an unpredictable game where the most unlikely of persons can be a hero.

Excellent post Wings, sums up the attitudes of certain fans on these boards.

[quote user="Shazzakidd"]Sammy Clingan is a very good player at this level, wait until a years time and check back and I''m confident that my hypothesis will be correct.[/quote]

He''s never played at this level.

Twot.

[quote user="Wings"]

I remember a time when Norwich City, fresh from a very successful Premiership campaign received a bid of £5mil from Blackburn Rovers for a certain Chris Sutton. Devastated though we were, Chris moved on and his replacement was Crewe''s Ashley Ward who had been performing well for them. He came here and some so called fans were knocking him as a Sutton replacement before he had even donned the shirt. That for me was the first time I had encountered such judgementalism in football.

Now, it''s an every day part of the game.  Every player will be compared to the last successful player who played that position and comes out pretty much every time unfavourably. The examples are endless - how many players have been quoted as "No Mark Edworthy"? I remember that being said about Jurgen Colin before he''d even played.

These days, this practice has expanded. Any player over 30 is "past it". Regardless of who it may well be. Any player on a free is obviously not very good as his previous club would''ve kept him if he was. Players from Scotland are all rubbish regardless. All these preconceptions from what? Some are born out of previous experiences with bad purchases. Others are from sheer prejudices.

I for one look forward to seeing what Sammy Clingan can do for us - and if Andy Cole signs I will remain open minded as to his impact at this club. If it''s one thing football has taught me (and this is especially pertinent following the Croatia v Turkey game) is that football is an unpredictable game where the most unlikely of persons can be a hero.

[/quote]

Have a medal... and a gold star. I think most fans on here would agree with you entirely. Just some opinions are more vocal.

yep great post wings, cant agree  more.

why should people judge a player before they have even played in an ncfc shirt. the amount of times the sentence "not as good as huckerby or no huckerby though is he" has been said is amazing its unreal. your post is spot on mate judge a player when you have seen him play a few times. If we do get andy cole great another player another prospect, that also goes for every other player we sign this and other transfer windows. be an optimist not a pessimist you will get a lot further in life!!!!

[quote user="shyster"][quote user="Shazzakidd"]Sammy Clingan is a very good player at this level, wait until a years time and check back and I''m confident that my hypothesis will be correct.
[/quote]

Twot.
[/quote]

great example of a negative fan. well im sure he likes to think hes a fan anyway. WOW shazzakidd made a mistake get over it.

your full of yourself. 

[quote user="shyster"]And you, Bunsen, are full of large, brown sinkers & the odd beige floater.
[/quote]

yeah riiiiggghhhttt [8-)] funny man

Don''t take this the wrong way but if my memory serves me correctly we got relegated after season following the sale of Chris Sutton?!?  Ashely Ward was a decent player but he was no Chris Sutton, just a cheap replacement as usual, which has served to cost us millions in lost revenue since.  Sutton scored 25 goals + the season before, Ward scored 7/8 the season we went done (albeitonly from Dec onwards) so he wasn''t an effective replacement and those said this prior to playing were probably right, weren''t they?!?  Although, I wouldn personally never ''knock'' a player before they don the shirt. 

Re Andy Cole, he''s 4 years older than Hucks and I would expect on significantly more money (plus a signing-on fee would be paid) so if we did sign him in-light of the Huck''s release, I would have to question as to why and what ''something different'' he would bring to the team (Hucks got 30+ goals for Man City when played as a striker the season they got promoted).

Finally, we got promoted with Eddy at right-back and Colin was released after a season of mid-table obscurity (which I didn''t agree with by the way) so again, probably not an adequate replacement!

Let''s face it, Clingan has been bought for cover. Look out for Bak O''Foyle from the same place - tougher and knows how to take the heat. (sorry)

[quote user="Clint"]

Don''t take this the wrong way but if my memory serves me correctly we got relegated after season following the sale of Chris Sutton?!?  Ashely Ward was a decent player but he was no Chris Sutton, just a cheap replacement as usual, which has served to cost us millions in lost revenue since.  Sutton scored 25 goals + the season before, Ward scored 7/8 the season we went done (albeitonly from Dec onwards) so he wasn''t an effective replacement and those said this prior to playing were probably right, weren''t they?!?  Although, I wouldn personally never ''knock'' a player before they don the shirt. 

[/quote]I actually have to disagree somewhat with you. I was a big fan of Ashley Ward, he still had the best first touch of any striker I''ve seen at Carrow Road (IMO). when you look at their compared goal tallies although the appearances are vastly different they both scored in a 1/3 of their games.Ashley played 60 scored 20Chris played 127 scored 43admittedly Ward scored half in the first division but also in struggling teams........Sutton scored in the top flight but with arguably the best supply we''ve had.

If Sammy Clingan is that good, surely Forrest would have kept him, especially as they have just been promoted??

Forest wanted to keep him, indeed they offered him a new contract. I guess we must have offered more money at the end of the day. Quite a few of their fans seem disappointed to lose him and think he will be a useful addition at this level.

The smart manager does not go in a blow a whole load of money on a load of proven players. If you do that, you get a whole load of prima donnas, but not a team. Alex Ferguson''s most successful team was the one around 96-99. A whole load of kids who had grown up together, whom he had moulded into his team, playing how he wanted. How much has Abramovich achieved with his billions? Sure, he has the worlds very best players, but I do not believe that he has a team there.

[quote user="rum-ole-boy"][quote user="Clint"]

[/quote]

I actually have to disagree somewhat with you. I was a big fan of Ashley Ward, he still had the best first touch of any striker I''ve seen at Carrow Road (IMO). when you look at their compared goal tallies although the appearances are vastly different they both scored in a 1/3 of their games.

Ashley played 60 scored 20
Chris played 127 scored 43

admittedly Ward scored half in the first division but also in struggling teams........Sutton scored in the top flight but with arguably the best supply we''ve had.
[/quote]

Slightly misleading stats Rum, Sutton may would have played a fair amount of those games at centre back!

[quote user="Shazzakidd"]Sammy Clingan is a very good player at this level, wait until a years time and check back and I''m confident that my hypothesis will be correct.
[/quote]

Has he plaed a single game at this level though?

[quote user="sam"]

If Sammy Clingan is that good, surely Forrest would have kept him, especially as they have just been promoted??

[/quote]

if a player won''t sign a new contract it''s rather hard to keep them [:$]

[quote user="ncfc_chris"][quote user="sam"]

[/quote]

if a player won''t sign a new contract it''s rather hard to keep them [:$]

[/quote]That seems to have been the case with Clingan. He wanted to come here and his contract was up.

[quote user="shyster"][quote user="Shazzakidd"]Sammy Clingan is a very good player at this level, wait until a years time and check back and I''m confident that my hypothesis will be correct.
[/quote]

Twot.
[/quote]

hahahahaha I was just going to say the same thing myself... [:D]