Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Roeder contradicts himself again!

Said of Simon Lappin this week:
"he is a talented player, there''s no doubt about it. He''s got a very cultured left foot..."

Said of Robert Eagle last month:
"left-footed players are quite rare and he''s got a very nice left foot, quite cultured..."

So where''s the contradiction i hear you say? In the fact he''s given one a shiny new contract while the other will, quote:
"find it difficult to get in the team i have in mind..."

And Mr Eagle will just walk in to the team you have in mind will he Glenn? If you had to pick one of these two players to give a contract, which would it be? The as yet unproven and unconvincing youngster with zero experience, or the highly regarded, far more experienced player who is a shoe-in on the left side of a decent SPL side?

i would like lappin to stay at the club as i think he still has something to give. i would also hope that glenn knows exactly what he is doing and that he will get together the strongest team he can next season.

None of this actually contradicts anything else he says, its just that his opinion of which player fits in with hit planned team differs from yours is all...Personally I wouldn''t have minded Lappin staying as he seems adequate cover, but then we don''t yet know what the rest of Roeder''s plans are so the rest is mere speculation.  In the meantime, Lappin will be allowed to find another club and carry on his own progression.  This happens in football, I''m afraid...

[quote user="a1canary"]

Said of Simon Lappin this week:
"he is a talented player, there''s no doubt about it. He''s got a very cultured left foot..."

Said of Robert Eagle last month:
"left-footed players are quite rare and he''s got a very nice left foot, quite cultured..."

So where''s the contradiction i hear you say? In the fact he''s given one a shiny new contract while the other will, quote:
"find it difficult to get in the team i have in mind..."

And Mr Eagle will just walk in to the team you have in mind will he Glenn? If you had to pick one of these two players to give a contract, which would it be? The as yet unproven and unconvincing youngster with zero experience, or the highly regarded, far more experienced player who is a shoe-in on the left side of a decent SPL side?

[/quote]

But Mr Roeder has also said that Simon Lappin will not fit into the team he envisages - which could be shorthand for saying: "I''ve got a much better player than you coming in and you aren''t going to get in the team."

Didnt Roeder also say that lappin would only go for a decent amount of money and would not leave on a free??

So seems to me that lappin would go just for the fact we can get some dosh for him, whereas Eagle who is young is not worth anything but could stil be a back up player also on alot less wages????

Not a contradiction at all in my opinion. He will certainly be bringing in another left sided player, and we don''t really need three of them competing - Eagle and a future signing will be his plans.

Still, it is quite a shame because i felt on the left Lappin was quite useful, maybe Eagle can offer a bit more pace and willingness to get forward.

Remember Eagles younger, and i think the idea that Roeder can afford to wait a year to see if he progresses enough physically has come into the equation. Also, don''t forget the wage difference, i bet Eagles on very little compared to Lappin.

The contradiction, for those who aren''t clear, is in him saying on the one hand, that genuine left footers are rare and that Eagle has a good left foot so he''ll have a new contract. And then on the other hand, saying that Lappin has a very cultured left foot and is talented, yet he doesn''t get a contract. He''s also said he only wants players who want to pull on the yellow and green and be proud to play for the shirt. Lappin has declared this also. Yet there''s no place for him in Roeder''s dream team. I tell you, i can''t wait to see this team when the curtain goes up in August. In the meantime i''ll try not to be too cynical, but it can be hard with Roeder!

[quote user="ob1"]"yet he doesn''t get a contract."I suppose the fact he already has one just goes straight over your head?[/quote]Any chance you might actually respond to the point raised rather that nit-pick?I think A1 has a point, Eagle and Lappin are very similar and to say one has a future and the other doesn''t, does seem odd when he has praised them both for the same thing.  Roeder clearly doesn''t rate Lappin (he''s not the only on is he) and he will leave, simple as that and we should just accept it.To me though Lappin would have done a better than Henry or Gibbs towards ther end of last season and would be worth keeping as a squad player.  Having said that, the game in general is clearly moving away from the Beckham-style wide midfielders who''s game is based on passing and crossing well back to older style wingers who have pace and run with the ball.  I would hope Roeder is looking for a winger on the left side.

More lunatics trying to re-write the English language again. Look up the definition of the word "contradiction". Also some elementary set theory.You are driven insane by the fact that you are not in charge of NCFC.

Theres more to life than having a cultured left foot so taking quotes about the two players left feet in isolation and presenting them as Glenn''s overall opinion of them both is pointless I would say.

No contradiction whatsoever in my eyes...

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="ob1"]"yet he doesn''t get a contract."

I suppose the fact he already has one just goes straight over your head?
[/quote]

Any chance you might actually respond to the point raised rather that nit-pick?

I think A1 has a point, Eagle and Lappin are very similar and to say one has a future and the other doesn''t, does seem odd when he has praised them both for the same thing.  Roeder clearly doesn''t rate Lappin (he''s not the only on is he) and he will leave, simple as that and we should just accept it.

To me though Lappin would have done a better than Henry or Gibbs towards ther end of last season and would be worth keeping as a squad player.  Having said that, the game in general is clearly moving away from the Beckham-style wide midfielders who''s game is based on passing and crossing well back to older style wingers who have pace and run with the ball.  I would hope Roeder is looking for a winger on the left side.
[/quote]

THANKYOU Saint, for expressing what i was trying to say in much simpler terms. Apologies to others that i failed to do this.

The nub of it is, as Saint says, that Eagle and Lappin are similar, Roeder has recognised both their talents, (cultured left feet!) that happen to be the same talents, yet one has a future and the other does not. THAT, is contradictory and no-one should need a dictionary to work that out.

I accept that there are other considerations at work here, not least wages, as well as the likelihood of Eagle and not Lappin accepting being on the bench most of the season. At best. But if these are the reasons, say so, because if i was Lappin i''d be bemused by what Roeder has said, to say the least. And he wouldn''t be the first person.