Over last season, I had many discussions about Cureton''s finishing and goal count. I still don''t believe his failure to  replicate the 25 goals achived at Col U is only down to him.

I know he missed some sitters but feel he had at times some awful players around him and in particular a midfield that wouldn''t take responsibily in treading a ball through, beating an apponant to create an angle or pulling the trigger early enough to catch the goalkeeper out and thus allow JC to pick up the pieces. Croft needs to learn how to pass the ball into the net and not blast it wide as he has too often last season.

On top of that the defence only looked good when in space and when allowed to pass the ball into meaningless triangles and then get bored and give it the hooooff into weak channels. The highlights are thinly spread such as Semi''s one burst into box and cracking finish last season.

I don''t want to see another defensive midfielder join us because they don''t get you into the top half of the season. They need to join in and take responsibility! 

It''s true that there wasn''t enough coming from the rest of the team but it''s also true that JC is just not good enough. He contributes nothing to team play and build up play and he''s unreliable infront of goal. People would like to see him do well because he loves the club etc etc etc but I love the club as well and I want to see better players than JC in our team so we can start doing a bit better.

A panic buy to replace (as if) Earnshaw and just not up to the job. I love our club but you certainly wouldn''t want me playing for the team so that''s a ridiculous argument to make for Jamie''s inclusion. 

[quote user="GJP"]It''s true that there wasn''t enough coming from the rest of the team but it''s also true that JC is just not good enough. He contributes nothing to team play and build up play and he''s unreliable infront of goal. People would like to see him do well because he loves the club etc etc etc but I love the club as well and I want to see better players than JC in our team so we can start doing a bit better.[/quote]

Exactly. I think Cureton only scored in nine league matches last season and of course the rest of the team have to take responsibility too, but when he doesn''t score he contributes very little to the team overall. We simply are not in a position where we can afford to carry a player for 80% of matches in a season. We''ve been carrying too many and Cureton is part of that problem.

I would like to think that Cureton, given his age, would be a good sub next season. He still has things to offer the club and with a decent supply he will almost certainly get the goals.

i think that 14 goals in a season for a team who spent most of the year at the bottom is a very good record.

if we can sign a ''big man'' to partner him, i believe he can get us 20 goals a season easy.

When he was with Iwelumo (spelling?) he had a man he could play off, yes he had Brown but we sometimes players don''t gel and I don''t think that the service he got was great. Croft is a good winger but lacks the service and Hucks was not an out and out crossing winger.

[quote user="bass is best"]

i think that 14 goals in a season for a team who spent most of the year at the bottom is a very good record.

if we can sign a ''big man'' to partner him, i believe he can get us 20 goals a season easy.

[/quote]

Take away the hat-trick against the dreadful Colchester and the brace against Barnet and all of a sudden a "very good record" becomes very poor.

Yes!  If a keeper makes mistakes he gets blamed, if a defender makes mistakes he gets blamed. JC made more than his share of mistakes (misses) the he has to take a lot of the blame

jamie cureton last season goals scored 14, chances around 50 so about a 1 in 4 strike rate

ronaldo goals scored last season 42,chances150+ so about1 in 4 strike rate

If you dont create chances you wont score goals,norwich didnt create enough chances only a very simple person would argue otherwise

I am not saying cureton is as good as ronaldo but i am saying he''s not as bad as some people are making out

[quote user="jjjohnny"]

jamie cureton last season goals scored 14, chances around 50 so about a 1 in 4 strike rate

If you dont create chances you wont score goals,norwich didnt create enough chances only a very simple person would argue otherwise

I am not saying cureton is as good as ronaldo but i am saying he''s not as bad as some people are making out

[/quote]

Well said jjjohnny, this message board needs a whipping boy, and our top scorer Jamie C fits that bill. Posters, in an effort to deflect criticisim off the manager, board or lack of a squad will blame anyone rather than admit that in general the strength and depth of our team is crap!.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="jjjohnny"]

[/quote]

Well said jjjohnny, this message board needs a whipping boy, and our top scorer Jamie C fits that bill. Posters, in an effort to deflect criticisim off the manager, board or lack of a squad will blame anyone rather than admit that in general the strength and depth of our team is crap!.

[/quote]:o i agree wiz, jamie will score if he has the chances.take away his 14/15 goals, cheds 11?we would of been down.

[quote user="buddhaboy"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="jjjohnny"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
:o i agree wiz, jamie will score if he has the chances.
take away his 14/15 goals, cheds 11?
we would of been down.

[/quote]

Maybe we would have been down without his goals but where would we have been if we had someone with the ability to finish the sitters and easy chances he missed?

Just someone who could have stuck away all the opportunities he squandered would have put us into a safer midtable finish instead of scrapping round near the drop zone til the end.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="buddhaboy"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="jjjohnny"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
we would of been down.

[/quote]

Maybe we would have been down without his goals but where would we have been if we had someone with the ability to finish the sitters and easy chances he missed?

Just someone who could have stuck away all the opportunities he squandered would have put us into a safer midtable finish instead of scrapping round near the drop zone til the end.

[/quote]

If if if! stick to then known facts please.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="buddhaboy"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="jjjohnny"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
we would of been down.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ok then, I know Jamie Cureton is a poor striker at this level. I know he lacks pace, lacks height, lacks strength, lacks work rate and lacks composure infront of goal.

I know we need someone better than him upfront to do better.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="bass is best"]

[/quote]

Take away the hat-trick against the dreadful Colchester and the brace against Barnet and all of a sudden a "very good record" becomes very poor.

[/quote]

along with the "poor" Darren Huckerby and the "poor" Ched Evans then

jas :)

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="buddhaboy"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="jjjohnny"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
we would of been down.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ok then, I know Jamie Cureton is a poor striker at this level. I know he lacks pace, lacks height, lacks strength, lacks work rate and lacks composure infront of goal.

[/quote]

Fact:

He was our top scorer...............argue that point.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="bass is best"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

along with the "poor" Darren Huckerby and the "poor" Ched Evans then

[/quote]

Huckerby isn''t really comparable. Given that he was injured and doesn''t play as a striker.

Ched Evans did a hell of a lot more for team and he''s still learning the ropes of the game. Had he played for us from the start of the season I have no doubt he''d have scored more than Cureton.

What we need are 2 goalscorers for once - a partnership to share the responsibility for getting the goals. Jamie had it at Colchester (with Iwelumo) and they were very successful. We haven''t had a decent scoring pairing since Iwan and Bellamy. In recent seasons the onus has been on a single player...our ''goalscorer''....Ashton, Earnshaw and last season Jamie. 

Take some of the responsibility and pressure off Jamie by having a another striker playing alongside who can score 20+ goals a season and I think JC would flourish again .

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="buddhaboy"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="jjjohnny"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
we would of been down.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fact:

[/quote]

Fact we finished a disappointing 17th last season and we were one of the lower scoring teams in the league and Cureton was meant to be our main goal getter but managed a measly 12??? league goals.

Argue that.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="buddhaboy"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="jjjohnny"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
we would of been down.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fact:

[/quote]

Fact we finished a disappointing 17th last season and we were one of the lower scoring teams in the league and Cureton was meant to be our main goal getter but managed a measly 12??? league goals.

Argue that.

[/quote]

So Dublin had no responsibility then?...........Jamie was on his bloody own half the time.............or played by Roeder on the wing!.................

[quote user="GJP"]

Cureton was meant to be our main goal getter but managed a measly 12??? league goals.

[/quote]

See my previous post to yours regarding having 2 strikers or as you might put it ''goal getters''

[quote user="GJP"]Ok then, I know Jamie Cureton is a poor striker at this level. I know he lacks pace, lacks height, lacks strength, lacks work rate and lacks composure infront of goal.

[/quote]If he''s a poor striker at this level, how come he was the top scorer in the entire division the season before last? Due to his advancing years and inconsistent performances last year I think he should be more of an impact player next season, and I too cursed the number of easy chances he blew, but with the right players around him he certainly has the potential to get goals. He can still be a decent rotation player for us - let''s face it, short of us signing three strikers, he''s going to be a rotation player at the very least.

as i have said before... Jamie is a confidence striker... or a pressure striker for want of a better term.

At colchester he knew if he missed then Iwelumo would score... Here its not the case.. Jamie knows if he doesnt score then no one else will! there is no Iwelumo to take the pressure off him....

I dont think it needs a decent target man to take the pressure off Jamie but just another striker who can score goals regularly... it will boost his confidence and he will relax in front of goal that bit more.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

as i have said before... Jamie is a confidence striker... or a pressure striker for want of a better term.

At colchester he knew if he missed then Iwelumo would score... Here its not the case.. Jamie knows if he doesnt score then no one else will! there is no Iwelumo to take the pressure off him....

I dont think it needs a decent target man to take the pressure off Jamie but just another striker who can score goals regularly... it will boost his confidence and he will relax in front of goal that bit more.

[/quote]Spot on, Jas. I do think that a target man would be a good idea, though - pretty much everyone in this division has at least one, and if you look at the impact Dion had last season, we do need that extra physical dimension. If you can find someone who offers both a physical presence and a genuine goal threat, there''s no doubt in my mind that it would improve our squad.

Awful logic, tediously repetitive posting, chunter, chunter, chunter, yawn yawn yawn...... Jamie wasted a hatful of chances last season, Wiz, a hatful (and it was a large hat). Those chances were laid on for him by a team that was chosen by the manager who was employed by the board. Go figure. I don''t think you will find a single poster on here to dispute your point that the strength and depth of our team is crap, but to pick out Cureton as some kind of exemplar of excellence is just nonsense. 12 league goals last season - 3 of which came against a frankly woeful Colchester side (and that in a game in which he should have scored 6) - was not good enough. I know it, Jamie knows it, and everyone else on here knows it - why hasn''t the penny dropped with you? Don''t get me wrong. I like Jamie, I admire his heart, his character, and his attitude - the only problem is his finishing...