Sign in to follow this  
Destort

BBC Sport 'City Fans Get Huckerby Farewell'

If you buy a ticket to the event that is! I think a slightly fairer way of doing would to not cash in on the fact fans want to say goodbye..

BBC Sport Reads

The mercurial winger was released by Glenn Roeder last week, prompting furious reaction from fans who believe Huckerby deserved a proper farewell.

A special tribute will now take place during the ''Greatest Ever'' event at Carrow Road, with Huckerby attending.

R&B singer Jamelia and X-Factor finalists Rhydian and Ray Quinn join club legends on stage for the event.

When the supporters asked for a chance to wish Hucks goodbye, they did''nt mean this:

SAY THANKS TO HUCKS

Posted on: Tue 13 May 2008

CITY

fans are being offered the chance to send their messages of thanks to

departing legend Darren Huckerby this week via canaries.co.uk.

Hundreds of fans sent their best wishes to retiring striker Dion

Dublin through the Club''s official site in a similar gesture and we

have bound those messages together to present to Dion in the near

future.

See a special photo gallery covering Dion''s career and download a free wallpaper.

Huckerby has always enjoyed a special relationship with the City faithful - send your personal message for Darren to: thankyouhucks@ncfc-canaries.co.uk and we will pass them on to him. A wallpaper and a special photo gallery of Hucks in action for City will appear shortly.

I also notice they are imploring everyone to go to the ''greatest ever'' event to say goodbye.  Will their cynical attempts at marketing ever cease?  Ah. Rant over, feel better now.

I''m presumably not the only one who got another desperate email today advertising this fiasco.Jamelia and Ted MacDougall on the same bill. Didn''t anyone realise that this might be a difficult event to market?...

They can get stuffed if they think that many fans will pay £25 to say goodbye to Hucks. They treated him badly and they''re still using him, grrrrrrrrrr

As for emailing them messages for them to pass on to Hucks think I''m quite capable of sending him my own message thanks.

[quote user="Destort"]

If you buy a ticket to the event that is! I think a slightly fairer way of doing would to not cash in on the fact fans want to say goodbye..

A special tribute will now take place during the ''Greatest Ever'' event at Carrow Road, with Huckerby attending.

[/quote]

I think NCISA. should complain.

P.S. Guess ticket sales are still not too good.

Has anyone else noticed the BLATANT attempt to try increase ticket sales for Sundays "event" on teletext? The headline on page 390 is: City fans to get chance for Huckerby farewell. Fool that I am I read it and its basically just an advert for the event promising city fans the chance for a "special" farewell to Hucks. Take it the ticket sales aren''t going well then....

The "Greatest Ever" event is run by a private company who are responsible for all the advertsing etc. so it is them rather than the club whipping up all this say goodbye to Hucks rubbish. As I understand it, Norwich can only win out of the deal. They take a percentage of the ticket sales, all the food and drink sales and only have to provide the stadium and endorse the event. If the club can make a few pounds out of it why complain so much? It''s not like you have to go.

Word is ticket prices started off slowly and have''nt got much better.  Not sure why they would be suprised.

......you''ll see on my Toronto thread why this is such an infuriating thing Heffers. Cynical marketing nonsense which blatantly takes the p**s, if they cared so much about farewells then they would have done it properly - not finding a space on stage next to Jamelia. I''m sure the fact of the matter is the board didn''t give two hoots about farewells, reactions and strength of feeling, it didn''t even cros thier minds. I''m not saying the action of not renewing his contract was wrong - I''m saying the club have treated the fans and Huckerby as silly peasants not worth a consideration.Consider the strength of feeling on Huckerbys entrance to the club and compare it to his exit - Citys big event, my a**e

...this is winding me right up. Too little too late and very cynical stuff from Canary Marketing. They really treat us like fools. I''d never wish ill on an event however I wouldn''t be that upset if it was a wash out.

[quote user="bunny"]You mean ticket "sales", don''t you?[/quote]Yes sales, that''s the one.  Was thinking about which Toronto shirt to get, the home or away one whilst typing hence the mistake - Can''t multi-task being a bloke.  :)

It''s a bloody disgrace, I pay good money for a season ticket every season and now on top of that our board want us to pay an extra £25 so we fans can say goodbye to an NCFC Legend at some poxy event that no one is really interested in. Hucks deserves much better than this as we all know there is going to be a very small turnout and if this is the best the board can come up with then Huckerby should just tell them to get stuffed and not turn up himself.

Hilarious![:D]......I thought about digging up the Huckerby threads - where some folk (including me) wondered how long before they used the  ''Say Bye to Hucks'' theme at the "Greatest Whatever" event......

Who''s going now? 

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Hilarious![:D]......I thought about digging up the Huckerby threads - where some folk (including me) wondered how long before they used the  ''Say Bye to Hucks'' theme at the "Greatest Whatever" event......

Who''s going now? 

[/quote]

I''m still not going.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Who''s going now? 

[/quote]

Not me, I still believe the club should come up with something much better than this, very disappointed

In all honesty this is a complete and utter joke by the the club, I thought the initial post and the facebook based petition was to have a Huckerby''s XI Team vs Man City or something like that, not a cheap way of selling tickets for what is bound to be a dislam turn out for this "fantastic event".For once i wish they would do the right thing and thats GIVE THE FANS WHAT THEY WANT!

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

Who''s going now? 

[/quote]

I''m still not going.

[/quote]

You''re still not Goering?.....How about Rommel then?.....Rudolph Hess?.....Oops! Sorry!....I put the missus''s reading specs on by mistake....[8-|]

I''m not going either, more pressing matters (a pile of ironing to plough through, or it''s no beer chits for me).......DAMN! Looks like my effigy of the Darth Donkster will remain without follicles.....till an opportune moment arises.

It makes me really angry that the Club are doing this... and almost makes me suspicious that it was the whole reason we were never told Hucks'' time was up before the end of the season, because they knew how poor ticket sales had been and needed a reason to bring more people in.

Sorry, but I have to confess to being a little confused: for the last week people have been moaning ad nauseum that they weren''t given any opportunity to say a proper goodbye to Hucks, a "City Legend", and were supposedly desperate to make this right.  They are now being given the chance with a special tribute bit to him at this Legends thing, but are refusing to go, seemingly due to it being a cynical move by the club. 

An interesting but sad thing occurred to me about how cynical people have sadly become about NCFC (possibly correctly, I have no idea) - if that weren''t the case, perhaps it might occur to people that a special tribute to Hucks was being included because they were listening to how ''upset'' some of the fans were...but of course, that isn''t possible...is it?

I suppose part of the question is - do you or don''t you want to give him a decent send off?  After all, however cynical you think this might be, it could easily be the last time for a while that he turns up for an official do at Carrow Road.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

Sorry, but I have to confess to being a little confused: for the last week people have been moaning ad nauseum that they weren''t given any opportunity to say a proper goodbye to Hucks, a "City Legend", and were supposedly desperate to make this right.  They are now being given the chance with a special tribute bit to him at this Legends thing, but are refusing to go, seemingly due to it being a cynical move by the club. 

An interesting but sad thing occurred to me about how cynical people have sadly become about NCFC (possibly correctly, I have no idea) - if that weren''t the case, perhaps it might occur to people that a special tribute to Hucks was being included because they were listening to how ''upset'' some of the fans were...but of course, that isn''t possible...is it?

I suppose part of the question is - do you or don''t you want to give him a decent send off?  After all, however cynical you think this might be, it could easily be the last time for a while that he turns up for an official do at Carrow Road.

[/quote]It''s because they''re charging us £25 for it. And the only reason they didn''t tell us Hucks was being shown the door before the end of the season was so they could do just that, I''m sure. Do you really think a pop concert infront of 500 women and kids is a worthy send off for Hucks? Testimonial = yes. X-factor rejects - No

There''s an easy way to make people less cynical about this - make it free for season ticket holders.  You could argue that it might cost the club to do that, but I doubt that many are going to pay for this anyway.

R&B singer Jamelia and X-Factor finalists Rhydian and Ray Quinn join club legends on stage for the event.

WOW - id love to see the rest of the legends on stage