Sign in to follow this  
Scottlarock

- latest on the ' really beginning to grate event'

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]There''ll be a slideshow on the EDP later (if anyone cares). Doubt the club are losing money over this as I thought it was a franchised event and ticket sales would affect the promoter, not the club. I could be wrong though...[/quote]You are correct.  Though surely they''ll count season ticket holders in the attendance figures anyway...

The club might not financially lose over this Pete, but they may have lost a lot of goodwill over allowing this sort of (non) event to be staged. What is this event all about, a music festival (I know, I am trying to think of it from the promoter''s point of view) or a celebration of our greatest ever players?

If it''s the latter, then why have the music or vice versa. Last year the place was packed (or as good as) for George Michael. Showing the club that if you organise or have an event held at the club with a big enough name tickets will sell. The marketing department need to have a word with the National Trust or whoever runs Blickling Hall. Their events are successful.

The players could have been star attractions as part of a footballing day. Maybe incorporating some All Star former City XIs. I am sorry for the club in a way, they need to make some serious money, and allowing this event to happen, plus the timing of the Huckerby departure hasn''t done them any favours.

I am surprised the negative feeling towards this event. The club wants to create a little extra revenue during the close season, while their biggest assest of a large stadium in the centre of a city that has no concert hall, is standing unused. From the clubs point of view this is a can''t lose situation, the franchise take on the risk and admittedly the larger profit, while the club get a nice cut and the sales from (overpriced) cups of tea and hot dogs. It also serves as a way to celebrate some former great players. I think asking a bunch of 60, 70 year olds to have a kick around is slightly unrealistic.Although most people on this board aren''t fans of the "music" talent on display, there certainly are a lot of fans out there and when I was near the ground around 2:30 quite a few people were heading into the ground.The problem with the club putting on it''s own events is they have to take the full risk if it should all go badly. Also this event has been two years in the planning, so to cancel it all because of Huckerby, when other Norwich legends had already commited to coming from America would of been an over reaction.It wasn''t for me so I didn''t go, and the same goes for a lot of others, but I''m sure many others will really enjoy themselves. I think the attitudes towards the event reflect our last season, if we had just got promoted then the event would of sold out in hours and we would all be singing the praises of the club for bringing so many former players back to the club.

[quote user="Jonny 5"]I am surprised the negative feeling towards this event. [/quote]Really? Asking season ticket holders and other fans to find another £25 to watch z-list bands when they''ve already forked out god knows what in the last few years to watch mediocrity... then spinning it as "a way to say goodbye to Huckerby"... shameful.

I agree fully with you Jonny - I find the level of animosity towards this event quite strange: if you don''t want to go, don''t go, but why slag it off? 

If we are to compete as people want us to compete at the highest level, the club really does need to generate as much revenue as it can and the best way to do this is surely is through running non-football events at Carrow Road.  Relying on just 23 days worth of football as the main source of revenue just won''t do it.  Perhaps this event was never going to have the appeal that was hoped (it does seem a slightly strange mix), but imo the club shouldn''t be slated for trying new things.

This event was not for me either, partly due to the fact I live 150+ miles away, but I don''t see what any of us gain if it is a flop.  I do wonder if, had a similar event been going on at the Binners and we''d not done one, people would be bemoaning the club for not doing so?

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

I agree fully with you Jonny - I find the level of animosity towards this event quite strange: if you don''t want to go, don''t go, but why slag it off? 

If we are to compete as people want us to compete at the highest level, the club really does need to generate as much revenue as it can and the best way to do this is surely is through running non-football events at Carrow Road.  Relying on just 23 days worth of football as the main source of revenue just won''t do it.  Perhaps this event was never going to have the appeal that was hoped (it does seem a slightly strange mix), but imo the club shouldn''t be slated for trying new things.

This event was not for me either, partly due to the fact I live 150+ miles away, but I don''t see what any of us gain if it is a flop.  I do wonder if, had a similar event been going on at the Binners and we''d not done one, people would be bemoaning the club for not doing so?

[/quote]

Of course they would bemoan about anything the Club does and doesn''t do, what else have they to do with their day............ lol

[:^)][:)]

Johny, I live near the ground, and believe me there is more action before a reserve game. Either these hordes of people all turned up late (gates opened at 1.30 pm) or they all walked from the city centre and didn''t use the car park. I find that slightly hard to believe.

If we had been promoted the club would, no doubt, have done the same thing as in recent times, a bus and civic reception, we would have enjoyed that as it''s a fitting way to celebrate. This hasn''t happened however, this event was supposed to be to remember our former greats (so why are these so called music names anywhere near the event?). Fine, have a day for music, but don''t mention it in the same breath as something to do with our former players.

Most of these players did in fact have a similar occasion on the anniversary of our centenary, an event which was organised well and was well attended. The club milking today''s event as a way to say goodbye to Hucks is also misguided.

Branston, the club is used practically every day of the year. There are conferences, meetings, a learning centre, tours of the ground, the Carrow Park for kids which is always being used. Add the restaurants, including Yellows and the businesses which rent office space and the club do very well from the stadium and its surroundings.

We don''t gain anything if it''s a flop, I think what most people are upset about is the use of the former players to promote a second rate pop concert. Why not have both events separately? Last year George Michael played at Carrow Road and it was packed. Last year Rod Stewart was at Portman Road, similar occasion.

I am angry this event has now been highjacked by the club as an excuse for us to say goodbye to Hucks. He has done so much for the club, and this pathetic "tribute" to him stinks.

I don''t disagree with you that it is a strange mixs of pop music and aging footballers which doesn''t grab me as an obvious mix. I guess it is targetted as a family day out, with pop music for the kids and Kevin Keelan for the dads and Mike Walker for the mums [;)]I don''t think the club are milking it as a "goodbye Hucks" event, one because it isn''t the club organising it. Also Hucks was confirmed before the the end of the season, and to have him involved and not even mention the fact he is leaving or celebrate his Norwich career is a lot worse than the tribute they are planning.At the end of the day, Norwich City FC is first a football club and second a business, there isn''t so much football going on at the moment, so let them get on with some business. Otherwise it is a long time to not gain any revenue until the new season begins.

I don''t disagree with you either, gazza - yes the club is used a lot for tours etc, but the really big potential surely has to be for concerts and the like, where 5000+ are in attendance.  If you factor in use of restaurants and so on on such occasions, these would bring in much more ££.

I don''t really consider a ''tribute to Hucks'' as being the club hijacking the Event, either - he is presumably going to be in the all time legends XI (or whatever it is called), and people were quite reasonably peed off with their handling of his exit: putting 2 and 2 together, such a thing is really only to be expected.  Again, I can well imagine the annoyance on here had there not been anything mentioned...and to a certain extent, you would expect similar ''tributes'' to the other X players in the XI, wouldn''t you?

Oh the hypocrisy and contradiction.

Telling us how fickle we are for not supporting or attending an event......Then they''re not actually doing so either! With excuses as distance too great and ''not someone''s cup o'' tea''......

Branston Fickle and Jonny come lately.....You do make I larf [:D]

If you actually read what I said, I noted that this event wasn''t for me, and never mention anything about people about being fickle for not going. What I was commenting on is people seemingly wanting the event to fail, or criticise the club for having the event at all.And I forgot that my opinions are directly related to how many posts I have made, I am sorry to have offended someone who is so obviously wiser than myself and my scant 60 or so posts.

[quote user="Jonny 5"]If you actually read what I said, I noted that this event wasn''t for me, and never mention anything about people about being fickle for not going. What I was commenting on is people seemingly wanting the event to fail, or criticise the club for having the event at all.

And I forgot that my opinions are directly related to how many posts I have made, I am sorry to have offended someone who is so obviously wiser than myself and my scant 60 or so posts.
[/quote]

So you should be.....

I actually didn''t want the event to fail, I just didn''t want it....It seems that 2,000 probables in attendance - seem happy enough though.

Now I was never tempted to go to this event either. I didn''t want it to fail or succeed. I probably care about it even less than I care that Neil Adams sits on the fence during a radio phone in. I didn''t want it so I didn''t go so I didn''t get it.

But it doesn''t bother me it took place....... should it?

...or even contradiction, come to that!!

I think what I was suggesting was that people should be free to choose, but that I can''t see why quite a few people who decided not to go seem to feel the need to slag off the event/those that decided otherwise.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Now I was never tempted to go to this event either. I didn''t want it to fail or succeed. I probably care about it even less than I care that Neil Adams sits on the fence during a radio phone in. I didn''t want it so I didn''t go so I didn''t get it.

But it doesn''t bother me it took place....... should it?

[/quote]

Have you purchased a panel from Neil Adams fence - and are presently sitting on it whilst you type, Nutster?[:P]

I would have preferred (as I''ve stated in an earlier thread) a more ''football'' orientated event. I do hope that club finance isn''t affected by the supposed apathy and general lack of support for the event today. If folk actually think I''m doing a little celebratory jig because the ''Greatest Ever'' is an alleged flop - then they are quite incorrect. 

I just don''t think that it was very well thought out event - and is also poor marketing.

Hmmm...perhaps somebody needs to look up a definition of hypocrisy???

[/quote]

Hmmm...Why?....I''m sincere enough, and my opinion''s are well documented on this forum.

...or even contradiction, come to that!!

I think what I was suggesting was that people should be free to choose, but that I can''t see why quite a few people who decided not to go seem to feel the need to slag off the event/those that decided otherwise.

[/quote]

I don''t deny anything....

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Have you purchased a panel from Neil Adams fence - and are presently sitting on it whilst you type, Nutster?[:P]

[/quote]

[8]Since I was young I''ve been very hard to please
And I don''t know wrong from right
But there is one thing I could never understand
Some of the bad things that a club does to a fan, so
I''m just sittin'' on a fence
You can say I got no sense
Trying to make up my mind
Really is too hard to find
So I''m sittin'' on a fence [:P]

Branston - Agreed that we shouldnt want it to fail. The reason ive been critical of the event is indeed because I want it to do well. However the way they set the day out meant IMO it was doomed to fail (And having not checked the threads detailing how the day went im happy to be proven wrong). Putting my business hat on, I was disappointed with the head-on collision of two of the most opposite target markets you could wish to have.

As I said on another thread, by all means have the concert. As has been a proven success with George Michael (I think), and as someone else mentioned Norwich doesnt have many quality events venues. And then on a seperate day have the greatest ever. Whether thats combined with an open day, or music more tailored to that audience, or simply before a home game. But its just a shame the people who came up with the idea screwed up big time in my view.

But as I said at the start, in an ideal world the event would have sold out and made us some money. Although as someone mentioned, im not 100% sure who the promoter was (NCFC, or an external group)? In which case we may have just received a flat fee, and its the promoter who missed out.

Why should people not want it to fail. Failure is often the only way some organisations and people learn lessons. Most supporters didn''t want it - it failed - so the club won''t be doing anything like it ever again.....as if!

[quote user="south east canary"]

http://www.greatestever.com/

There you are the promoter of the event, have had previous franchise events at other sporting venues.

Would have been much better if it was a vetrans football match, with the presentation of a greatest ever team.... some 3rd rate wannabe stars dont interest me though!

[/quote]

Cheers, so we would hope that we would receive a flat fee for the use of the ground? Or more likely a percentage of the takings. Can anyone fill in the gap?

Also that would have been an even better idea you mention, an old players match. Thats definitely something id have paid to see.

The Centenary match against harwich and parkeston was good and attended by 6,000 linking it with the greatest ever would have been much better and would have attracted many more then yesterdays event

Totally agreed South East, that was indeed a great afternoon. Some great moments and cameos from our old heroes. Why didn''t the club stick to that formula?

This event was driven more by the "Greatest Ever" company than the club. The format would of been set out by them rather than the club. Bascially, for next to no layout the club has probably made a few thousand out of drink/food sales alone and it sounds like most people had a good time at the event.

[quote user="Jonny 5"]This event was driven more by the "Greatest Ever" company than the club. The format would of been set out by them rather than the club. Bascially, for next to no layout the club has probably made a few thousand out of drink/food sales alone and it sounds like most people had a good time at the event.
[/quote]

Unlikely to have made anything from food and drink sales. Staff costs, low margins and a low spend per head (loads of people won''t have spent a penny and brought their own). 

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]There''ll be a slideshow on the EDP later (if anyone cares). Doubt the club are losing money over this as I thought it was a franchised event and ticket sales would affect the promoter, not the club. I could be wrong though...[/quote]

if its a franchised event surely every club will be doing it?

I bet we had to pay them to get them here though..

jas :)