Sign in to follow this  
Huddy

Our Facilities are top class...

..yet our academy are so poor. Why? Whats going wrong?

6-1 Sunderland is to be frank, embaressing, even if they are a Premiership set up.

I know we have in theory, less of a population to target but still with our facilities we really should be doing better, or we might as well stop pumping all the money we do into the academy. To be honest our return in recent years has been poor. Only Green and Shackall have been first team regululars and who else has made any impact?

Martin looked good last eyar and may come good again, jarvis was deemed a new star, he came to nothing, henderson went knowhere and no-one else has hardly any appearances between them after coming though in recnet years.

Spillane, like Martin may just make it at a decent level, but the Rossi and Ryan J''s, Halliday, Eagle, bexfield''s, are just a token gesture i feel; i dont see them making the grade at all. And now i get the impression we have no up and coming 17/18 year olds either, thats worrying! We have apparently some top class keepers (who didnt play tonight) in the acadamy, but it seems to be about it!!!

whats gone wrong?..

In the past we had a production line of talent, Bellamy, Eadie, Sutton and many more but now nothing!!!

[quote user="HUDDY "]

I know we have in theory, less of a population to target [/quote]

We have a bigger "catchment area" - we don''t have Newcastle on our doorstep...

The population argument doesn`t really stand up. Ok so this area isn`t particularly densely populated but we have the pick of the entire area well into Suffolk so you are talking one million plus people. More densely populated areas have more clubs fighting for the same (albeit bigger) pool of talent. Haven`t got a clue why it doesn`t seem to be working though.......

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]The population argument doesn`t really stand up. .....[/quote]

Even less of an excuse for us being so poor then!

Mr.Carrow - you ignor in this srguement the background of most english footballers - the working class inner city areas.  These are precisely the type of areas we do lack.

Anyone moaning about the state of our Academy should use the "Free Bet this Weekend" thread, admirably maintained by the one and only Arrdee.

This thread encourages each Pink Un poster to give one nap bet from the weekends fixtures. Arrdee then accumulates them and has an arrangement with a local bookie for a free £10 bet - any winnings go straight to the Norwich City Academy.

So if anyone''s worried about the state of the Academy, have a pick this week. Watch out for the sticky at the top of the main thread page!

1 bad result.. makes the acadamy bad? no...

if this happened every week id be worried.. its 1 bad result.. let it lie and move on

jas :)

you wont like this but is it case of ipswich picking the crop of the youngsters??

they have such a good set up down there and produce youth product after youth product

you may not except what i said but deep down you cant knock ipswich and the way they produce the youth and give them opportunities

Of course the free bet thing is great, but it misses the point, we HAVE good facilities etc but no end product!

My post wasnt just based on one result, we''ve had a poor season in the under 18''s and it''s more generalyl based on the lack of talent coming through compared to other clubs.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

1 bad result.. makes the acadamy bad? no...

[/quote]

No, nothing to do with a bad result. We are not producing players and haven''t for years Simple as.....

This is all to do with the FA rules isn''t it?

To get a player in at that level they have to be within 60minutes travel or 90miles I think, at least it is something like that.

All I know is that Ipswich can scout in North London hence the reason they have quite a few youngsters from down there.

I think sometimes people forget that we are almost identical to Plymoth Argyle in our fan catchment area and make up. The closest two clubs to them are Torquey and Exeter both are in the conference - next to them it is Bristol over 200miles away. And most of their area is rural like our own although Plymouth is a bigger town/city?

It''s all very well to quote Bellamy, Sutton and Eadie but I think if then was now the only one we would have got would be Sutton. This is the problem we face now with those travelling time rules. I don''t see what can be done except to hope that we can unearth a few more like Dale Gordon, Ruel Fox or Chris Sutton because we aren''t likely to find any Craig Bellamy''s or Darren Eadies on the gas platforms in the North Sea.

Is it worth persevering with the academy? I believe it is because ultimately we would all like to see some local boys make the step up in the way they did in the past. Over the last few years we have seen Jason Shackell and to a certain extent Ryan Jarvis, Ian Henderson, Chris Martin and Mickey Spillane breaking into the first team.

I don''t see that the club are doing anything wrong though. It''s not as though they are missing out on players, otherwise we would be hearing of the local boys making good elsewhere. It''s also fair to point out that although Nigel Worthington was slated on these boards and by columnists for not playing youth, and for releasing players like Danny Crowe, I have yet to see these players prove him wrong. Another thing to bear in mind is that many other clubs who are better situated for the travelling purposes have no better record than us.

Best thing to do I reckon is to support the academy by helping out on the ''Free Bet Fred'' and hope that there is another purple patch of talent come through in the near future.

[quote user="chicken"]

This is all to do with the FA rules isn''t it?

To get a player in at that level they have to be within 60minutes travel or 90miles I think, at least it is something like that.

All I know is that Ipswich can scout in North London hence the reason they have quite a few youngsters from down there.

I think sometimes people forget that we are almost identical to Plymoth Argyle in our fan catchment area and make up. The closest two clubs to them are Torquey and Exeter both are in the conference - next to them it is Bristol over 200miles away. And most of their area is rural like our own although Plymouth is a bigger town/city?

[/quote]

Plymouth to bristol over 200 miles? dont think so mate

Firstly Plymouth are producing more talent than us!

Secondly, i''m still confused by this rule about catchment area. How have we signed Renton and whoever from Scotland then? Is there a loophole by if they move down here its fine? And if thats the case, it''s basically the same as before, i.e. that Bellamy i presume came here and lived?