Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

We Dont Deserve Promotion

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="king of latvia"]

first take a look at leeds spent loads of money know where are they.

its not how much you spend its how the team and manager works together on and off the pitch to make a team win promotion.

grant know bringing in new players and i think we will be in the top six.

also take a look at the managers they have had since 1991.  ----  16

and last lets see who finish higher.

come on city

[/quote]

look where Leeds are.................yawn

[/quote]

Why yawn? does it bother you that the leeds arguement completly destroys the view points of those who say spend big? would it be better if we all pretended that football clubs didn''t  sometimes go out of business?

[/quote]

I can only think of two clubs who have gone out of business and both were in the conference.  Anyone know exactly how many clubs have gone out of business in the last 10 years?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="king of latvia"]

its not how much you spend its how the team and manager works together on and off the pitch to make a team win promotion.

come on city

[/quote]

[/quote]

Why yawn? does it bother you that the leeds arguement completly destroys the view points of those who say spend big? would it be better if we all pretended that football clubs didn''t  sometimes go out of business?

[/quote]

Absolutely ridiculous argument and i think you know it. There is a massive,massive difference between blowing £100million assuming success on the pitch will pay for it, and recieving £35million tv revenue over three seasons and still making a massive profit by selling your key players and only re-investing around half the fees in the team. And the performance of the team has declined dramatically. Well suprise, suprise.

If City were as well known a club as Leeds there would be a pithy phrase going round in football circles-"doing a Norwich", which involves a club being run in such a way that during the most financially lucrative spell in its history, the money is frittered away on infrastructure work whilst the team is allowed to get so weak that it could well take years to recover.

[/quote]

or if Norwich now swapped fans with Leeds then Delia & Co woul.d no doubt be swinging from that lenghthy chain that they have been making for themselves these past 3 years!!!

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

the money is frittered away on infrastructure work whilst the team is allowed to get so weak that it could well take years to recover.

[/quote]And how would you suggest we attract new players to a **** heap of a ground and 1970 training facilities. I''m chuffed to bits with the stadium and facilities personally. Having a sucessful team never helped Wimbledon (to continue this stupid analogy of clubs).

[quote user="PJ Bimbo"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]If City were as well known a club as Leeds there would be a pithy phrase going round in football circles-"doing a Norwich", which involves a club being run in such a way that during the most financially lucrative spell in its history, the money is frittered away on infrastructure work whilst the team is allowed to get so weak that it could well take years to recover.[/quote]

Quite possibly a fantastic point Mr Carrow but who was responsible for that above example? I think you will find it wasn''t Delia and co. It was infact Mr Chase. If we''re talking in reletive terms of course. The most lucrative spell in our History and the biggest chance to make the big time was back in the early 90''s. Of course the Chase fans would ignore this completely and apply the argument only to our 1 year spell in the Prem. THAT is why you board bashers cannot be taken seriously because of your blinkered, ignorant and double standard opinions that defy all common sense.
[/quote]

The obsession with infrastructure was started by Chase and has been continued by this board. Its all in the accounts. Fixed asset expenditure in the last three accounts adds up to £20million. Where do think all the Prem/Ashton/Francis/Green money went? Do a few sums. I was part of the Chase out movement by the way, but the current lot are no better.

So the early nineties was the most lucrative period in the clubs history? Thats when we were averaging about 16,000 and there was no Sky millions? And you call others blinkered and ignorant!?!

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

the money is frittered away on infrastructure work whilst the team is allowed to get so weak that it could well take years to recover.

[/quote]

And how would you suggest we attract new players to a **** heap of a ground and 1970 training facilities. I''m chuffed to bits with the stadium and facilities personally. Having a sucessful team never helped Wimbledon (to continue this stupid analogy of clubs).
[/quote]

We seem to be losing our best players and struggling to replace them with quality however lovely the groung and training facilities are. Been to Fratton Park recently?

So you`d be quite happy to have the best ground in the lower leagues then?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]And how would you suggest we attract new players to a **** heap of a ground and 1970 training facilities. I''m chuffed to bits with the stadium and facilities personally. Having a sucessful team never helped Wimbledon (to continue this stupid analogy of clubs).[/quote]

We seem to be losing our best players and struggling to replace them with quality however lovely the groung and training facilities are. Been to Fratton Park recently?

[/quote]You mere accentuate my point about analogies. Yes I''ve been to Fratton Park. Once. I''d never go back. I''d rather go to Wycombe who have a fantastic little ground or maybe MK Dons nest season, great new stadium.....Fortunately my team have a great stadium also (shame you cant stand but hey.....) so maybe yes, I''d take lesser football in nice surroundings. I dont agree they go hand in hand. The best teams dont play in the S***iest grounds Actually I dont like Premiership football in the main, I dont like International football either (England are the dullest team on earth and have been for 10 years), but good honest English football is fantastic. I watch a lot of football in Turkey. Besiktas has a p**y ground and play ok. However THE team is not Glatasaray as people assume but Fenerbeche on the Anatolian side. Fabulous stadium. Thats why they are head and shoulders above the other two teams in IstanbulYour analogy crumbles.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="king of latvia"]

come on city

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Selling big doesn''t get us far either. The Leeds argument is just as invalid for supporting the board''s stance by suggesting that the alternative to Norwich''s approach is to go the extreme opposite. How about a compromise when the club actually spends what it gets in transfer fees, season ticket sales, parachute payments...

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

How about a compromise when the club actually spends what it gets in transfer fees, season ticket sales, parachute payments...

[/quote]We do, minus what we''re losing in wages, interest payments and overheads. We''re £20m in the red, not the black. We spend the money. Its not realistic to think all apparent ''profit'' is profit, thats just too simplistic and naive

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

So the early nineties was the most lucrative period in the clubs history? Thats when we were averaging about 16,000 and there was no Sky millions? And you call others blinkered and ignorant!?!

[/quote]If you care to read my post I said in reletive terms it was. AND YES it was a better chance to make the big time with investment than we have ever had since. Take a look. Bigger crowds more expensive players but so has everyone else around us. Take a good look around, but still, how close have we ever got to being in Europe and finishing 3rd in the prem? Yes thats right - I will call others blinkered and ignorant!

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"][quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

How about a compromise when the club actually spends what it gets in transfer fees, season ticket sales, parachute payments...

[/quote]

We do, minus what we''re losing in wages, interest payments and overheads. We''re £20m in the red, not the black. We spend the money. Its not realistic to think all apparent ''profit'' is profit, thats just too simplistic and naive
[/quote]

you believe the excuses.....i don''t.

[quote user="PJ Bimbo"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]If City were as well known a club as Leeds there would be a pithy phrase going round in football circles-"doing a Norwich", which involves a club being run in such a way that during the most financially lucrative spell in its history, the money is frittered away on infrastructure work whilst the team is allowed to get so weak that it could well take years to recover.[/quote]

Quite possibly a fantastic point Mr Carrow but who was responsible for that above example? I think you will find it wasn''t Delia and co. It was infact Mr Chase. If we''re talking in reletive terms of course. The most lucrative spell in our History and the biggest chance to make the big time was back in the early 90''s. Of course the Chase fans would ignore this completely and apply the argument only to our 1 year spell in the Prem. THAT is why you board bashers cannot be taken seriously because of your blinkered, ignorant and double standard opinions that defy all common sense.
[/quote]

Whoops! I really thought you were going to blame our clubs downfall on eighteen years of Tory rule ''Big Hair Boy''......Whazzup? Should we all now sit back after our season ticket dosh has once again been accrued to the Carra coffers, should be happy with our lot, and that we should just accept it, take it on the chin - and just stop whingeing an'' whining and airing our discontent. Because, in your personal and acerbic opinion you actually think this ''business board'' have our best interests at heart, eh?

Crack on ''Big Barnet'' and you defend what you believe in.....I''ll carry on with great gusto, doing what I believe in....(and also immensely and thoroughly enjoy)......BOARDY BARSHUN![H]

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

you believe the excuses.....i don''t.

[/quote]

Its not an ''excuse''. Its the daily factual reality of running a business

[quote]Crack on ''Big Barnet'' and you defend what you believe in.....I''ll carry on with great gusto, doing what I believe in....(and also immensely and thoroughly enjoy)......BOARDY BARSHUN![/quote]

And what part of writing that gibberish was helped by you attending Carrow Road last season ?  I assume you saw Dicksons'' no-shows, and those happy days when Youssef warmed the bench, poor ickle-solja-wiv-jetlag, aaaaaaaah, stick another grand on the fire, I''m gerrin'' cold ?

It''s only bloody July fercrissakes !

I''m sure that by the time you take your seat that the likes of me have been priced out of, all will have settled down, and we might actually have a midfield that plays with each other and for the team, and doesn''t have "leave it Dickson / Youssef, he ain''t''nt wurfit " non-existant fisticuffs wot-never-''appened-no-way-no-how on a bus or anywhere, even though the former boss was whistling Rocky at the interviews with our glorious highly paid (too highly, according to the Baggies) midfielders after the so-called non-incident.

So many knee-jerks in here, I''m starting to confuse it with a cheeky blue movie shown in a 1950s cinema.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Whoops! I really thought you were going to blame our clubs downfall on eighteen years of Tory rule ''Big Hair Boy''......Whazzup? Should we all now sit back after our season ticket dosh has once again been accrued to the Carra coffers, should be happy with our lot, and that we should just accept it, take it on the chin - and just stop whingeing an'' whining and airing our discontent. Because, in your personal and acerbic opinion you actually think this ''business board'' have our best interests at heart, eh?

Crack on ''Big Barnet'' and you defend what you believe in.....I''ll carry on with great gusto, doing what I believe in....(and also immensely and thoroughly enjoy)......BOARDY BARSHUN![H]

[/quote]Ha! Hate to break it to you but thats not actually me, but feel free to let your toungue run away with you with the personals. We all know that when a poster resorts to that they are failing to make proper points in their argument. You call my opinion acerbic when I''m defending the board. If you want to use grown up words then look them up first. Personal insults, moaning about having spent hard erned cash on a season ticket not with the plastic its printed on, taking it on the chin like a man? I think not. Carry on with your gusto pal the bitter one here is you my friend, not me [:D]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]Crack on ''Big Barnet'' and you defend what you believe in.....I''ll carry on with great gusto, doing what I believe in....(and also immensely and thoroughly enjoy)......BOARDY BARSHUN![/quote]

And what part of writing that gibberish was helped by you attending Carrow Road last season ?  I assume you saw Dicksons'' no-shows, and those happy days when Youssef warmed the bench, poor ickle-solja-wiv-jetlag, aaaaaaaah, stick another grand on the fire, I''m gerrin'' cold ?

It''s only bloody July fercrissakes !

I''m sure that by the time you take your seat that the likes of me have been priced out of, all will have settled down, and we might actually have a midfield that plays with each other and for the team, and doesn''t have "leave it Dickson / Youssef, he ain''t''nt wurfit " non-existant fisticuffs wot-never-''appened-no-way-no-how on a bus or anywhere, even though the former boss was whistling Rocky at the interviews with our glorious highly paid (too highly, according to the Baggies) midfielders after the so-called non-incident.

So many knee-jerks in here, I''m starting to confuse it with a cheeky blue movie shown in a 1950s cinema.

[/quote]

You on the rack blahahaha? Upset like the other clubby boardy ''pro-positive-ites'' that norty hucks has spoken out? He''s very norty, because the club and its media has remained ''schtum'' regarding his ''personal'' comments.......Neil and Co are probably drawing up some severe punishment as we drivel at each other......Make him park his motor at the N&N and walk to Colney for training, to allow his hotheady to cool - so next time he''ll think twice before he spouts off and starts rockin'' the cosy Carra coracle.

Maybe, if you attended Carra on a regular basis, you''d take great delight in watchin'' me an'' the other knee jerky''s all in a neat row, flickin our patellas an'' shins in time - like the Tiller girls rehearsin'' at the London Palladium.....Remember them?

I bash the board, then you an'' Big Barnet and Co, bash the boardbashers......Perpetual bashing.....and it''s fun!

Do you think it''s fun? Or are you just seething, and would rather get uppity, annoyed and angry - because you are upset because norty Hucks is out of order and given the horrid boardy bashers ammo? And now you feel soooo betrayed.......[:P] 

Your turn to bash........

[quote user="PJ Bimbo"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Ha! Hate to break it to you but thats not actually me, but feel free to let your toungue run away with you with the personals. We all know that when a poster resorts to that they are failing to make proper points in their argument. You call my opinion acerbic when I''m defending the board. If you want to use grown up words then look them up first. Personal insults, moaning about having spent hard erned cash on a season ticket not with the plastic its printed on, taking it on the chin like a man? I think not. Carry on with your gusto pal the bitter one here is you my friend, not me [:D]
[/quote]

I am so sorry........are there a few keys missing from your spectrum 48k keyboard? Wouldn''t you rather be playing Horace goes skiing, or junior scrabble on your pooter......It''s definitely more fun than contributing to this forum........Incidentally, I only prefer to use grown up words when I communicate with grown-ups......Still, you  keep posting, as you have many friends.......unlike me.......[:''(]

Now look, you''ve made me go all nasty and acerbic!

And get a fri**en haircut!

oh MELLO... the two posts above so nearly made me wet myself..

Hope you have stored plenty more posts of that very high standard up for the next few weeks?  I am very sure that fresh ammunition will be on it''s way very soon Sir!!!  [:D] 

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"][quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

[/quote]

We do, minus what we''re losing in wages, interest payments and overheads. We''re £20m in the red, not the black. We spend the money. Its not realistic to think all apparent ''profit'' is profit, thats just too simplistic and naive
[/quote]

The last two accounts show profits of £9million and £2.5million and together a very generous £2.5million tax payment (well at least they owe us a favour.....). They also show millions spent on the infill, new ticket office, new pitch, stand refit, offices to rent out, new club 101 corporate facility, study support facility, a spaces for sport project etc., etc.

Yes we do spend the money.......But not on the team. Hence the downward spiral of the last two seasons.

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

And how would you suggest we attract new players to a **** heap of a ground and 1970 training facilities. I''m chuffed to bits with the stadium and facilities personally. Having a sucessful team never helped Wimbledon (to continue this stupid analogy of clubs).
[/quote]

[/quote]

You mere accentuate my point about analogies. Yes I''ve been to Fratton Park. Once. I''d never go back. I''d rather go to Wycombe who have a fantastic little ground or maybe MK Dons nest season, great new stadium.....Fortunately my team have a great stadium also (shame you cant stand but hey.....) so maybe yes, I''d take lesser football in nice surroundings. I dont agree they go hand in hand. The best teams dont play in the S***iest grounds Actually I dont like Premiership football in the main, I dont like International football either (England are the dullest team on earth and have been for 10 years), but good honest English football is fantastic. I watch a lot of football in Turkey. Besiktas has a p**y ground and play ok. However THE team is not Glatasaray as people assume but Fenerbeche on the Anatolian side. Fabulous stadium. Thats why they are head and shoulders above the other two teams in Istanbul

Your analogy crumbles.
[/quote]

Oh i see. So if Fenerbache were in the Turkish 4th division whilst Galatasary were winning the top league and playing Champions league football the Fenerbache would still be regarded as THE team cos their ground is a bit better?

For most football fans seeing an improving and successful team on the pitch comes way ahead of what the ground looks like. Apart, of course, from the prawn sandwich brigade......

[quote user="PJ Bimbo"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

If you care to read my post I said in reletive terms it was. AND YES it was a better chance to make the big time with investment than we have ever had since. Take a look. Bigger crowds more expensive players but so has everyone else around us. Take a good look around, but still, how close have we ever got to being in Europe and finishing 3rd in the prem? Yes thats right - I will call others blinkered and ignorant!
[/quote]

Ok PJ. Ive had a good look round and what ive observed is that we have been underperforming in a league filled with other clubs most of whom get nowhere near our level of support, have had no £35million tv revenue, and haven`t made millions in profit on players. 15 of them finished above us last season.

The money has largely been spent on infrastructure, not on the team- just as under Chase. Only the blinkered and ignorant have yet to see through the spin, but the tide is turning.....

[quote]You on the rack blahahaha? Upset like the other clubby boardy ''pro-positive-ites'' that norty hucks has spoken out? He''s very norty, because the club and its media has remained ''schtum'' regarding his ''personal'' comments.......Neil and Co are probably drawing up some severe punishment as we drivel at each other......Make him park his motor at the N&N and walk to Colney for training, to allow his hotheady to cool - so next time he''ll think twice before he spouts off and starts rockin'' the cosy Carra coracle.[/quote]

Norty norty, very norty Hucks. [:)]  Discipline was never his strong suit, but you know when he''s not happy I suppose !  Not upset Mello, confused.  Huckerby understands ambition, so he should be pleased for his good mate getting a Premiership job.  It could be that the changes are unsettling a player who has tied his colours to the mast to give his family a settled environment, but who still wants to win.   There must be a good reason why quality players come here, fail to acheive and then move on to bigger things, maybe down to the unsettled management situation, although they''ve got to look to themselves last season aswell.  Keeping Huckerbys'' mates is less important than starting with a clean slate this season I reckon.  Especially when Huckerbys'' mates would rather take bigger money elsewhere.

Also, I don''t understand why you''re up in arms about this.  You wanted change to happen 12 months ago.  Now that the new manager will start a new season, with a team of players that he has either signed or renewed the contracts of, it is undeniably his team, you don''t like the changes that a movement ( that you backed ) were calling for ?  Is it any excuse to bash the bored ?  Speakin'' of which, you''re a big overgrown nana with the footballin'' nouse of a sack of quick drying cement.  Your turn to bash, it''s a larf, innit ?

Oh, and leave Big Barnet alone, he gets upset if anyone mentions the Barnet.  That was a League Cup defeat too far, I fear...

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]You on the rack blahahaha? Upset like the other clubby boardy ''pro-positive-ites'' that norty hucks has spoken out? He''s very norty, because the club and its media has remained ''schtum'' regarding his ''personal'' comments.......Neil and Co are probably drawing up some severe punishment as we drivel at each other......Make him park his motor at the N&N and walk to Colney for training, to allow his hotheady to cool - so next time he''ll think twice before he spouts off and starts rockin'' the cosy Carra coracle.[/quote]

Norty norty, very norty Hucks. [:)]  Discipline was never his strong suit, but you know when he''s not happy I suppose !  Not upset Mello, confused.  Huckerby understands ambition, so he should be pleased for his good mate getting a Premiership job.  It could be that the changes are unsettling a player who has tied his colours to the mast to give his family a settled environment, but who still wants to win.   There must be a good reason why quality players come here, fail to acheive and then move on to bigger things, maybe down to the unsettled management situation, although they''ve got to look to themselves last season aswell.  Keeping Huckerbys'' mates is less important than starting with a clean slate this season I reckon.  Especially when Huckerbys'' mates would rather take bigger money elsewhere.

Also, I don''t understand why you''re up in arms about this.  You wanted change to happen 12 months ago.  Now that the new manager will start a new season, with a team of players that he has either signed or renewed the contracts of, it is undeniably his team, you don''t like the changes that a movement ( that you backed ) were calling for ?  Is it any excuse to bash the bored ?  Speakin'' of which, you''re a big overgrown nana with the footballin'' nouse of a sack of quick drying cement.  Your turn to bash, it''s a larf, innit ?

Oh, and leave Big Barnet alone, he gets upset if anyone mentions the Barnet.  That was a League Cup defeat too far, I fear...

[/quote]

Was this thread before Glenn Roeder arrived?.......[:|]

Option 1 = New owner/Businesstype, new Board, new players, new Manager, promotion to the prem''ship. Investment, ambition etc etc

Option 2 = Delia, Turners, relegation, 5 year strategic plan to build for future, with youth development. 

I vote 2.

Avanti popolo!

And another thing, what is all this adulation of these so radical Leeds fans. I used to watch Leeds regularly when I lived in Yorkshire. They have nothing to teach us, so get out a bit more and get a touch of reality. When we see a wrong- un like Chase, we mobilised. Norfolk and Good. As for staying away. Please. I have heard all the reasons for staying away e.g ''I never went again when they took away terracing in the South Stand''. Please do not kid us you stay away for worthy reasons, when you stay away for much more prosaic reasons, but you just cannot admit it. Please just stay away. Even for the sake of arguement you did feel you are very much against the current Board, and their policies, is a real reason for not watching the team you purport to love? I think not. I have never been a supporter of this board or any other, its all board room business to me, because I am a fan first and foremost.   

[quote user="corbs"]

Option 1 = New owner/Businesstype, new Board, new players, new Manager, promotion to the prem''ship. Investment, ambition etc etc

Option 2 = Delia, Turners, relegation, 5 year strategic plan to build for future, with youth development. 

I vote 2.

Avanti popolo!

[/quote]you''d prefer relegation to promotion corbs?!? sorry, but u must love delia more than the club.  the first priority must always be to serve the best interest of the club - not the personalities involved in it imo.