Sign in to follow this  
San Miguel

Fotheringham Botheringham

What do people make of Fozzy? and do you see him being signed permanently?

When he first came it caused quite a stir, everyone thinking he was the next Gascgoine complete with a nifty trick to beat his marker.

My impression is firstly that he hasn''t had a huge opportunity to shine, but on the occasions he does play he is too quiet and anonymous (bit like Robinson I guess). I haven''t seen the Fozzy Flick and whilst that''s not something important it might as least help me realise which one he is on the pitch! I was hoping he would replace Etuhu in the starting line up but if anything it has made Etuhu make a tiny little bit more effort.

I think he''ll go at the end of his short contract - we need a more dynamic midfielder.

he''s a tidy player, the sort of one you''d realise how good he was when he was out of the team.

id like to see him given another deal. Not a bad player, certainly no Carl Robinson.. and whilst i dont think he will go on to become an all time legend i think its good to have him in the side.

jas :)

[quote user="San Miguel"]

I was hoping he would replace Etuhu in the starting line up but if anything it has made Etuhu make a tiny little bit more effort.

[/quote]

That''s the mistake so many people made. But why did people assume Grant was looking to replace Etuhu? I would suggest the evidence points to the contrary. Norwich have had 45 first team fixtures this season and Etuhu has played in 43 of them which suggests he has been very much first choice throughout the season whoever was in charge. I hope Fotheringham was bought to increase the quality of our first team squad, and not as a replacement for Etuhu or Safri.

I think we allhave to bear in mind that he has not played a competetive game for ages as he was without a club for a long time. this is probably the reason that he becomes quiet in games - lack of match fitness. I tink you may find that we will keep him at the end of the season and when he gets his pre season in like the other players that he will look much better for us

i think you are right CambridgeCanary,i think Fotheringham is a better player than Robinson, he is younger, and more accurate, and his set pieces are an advantage to us.

i agree that we would notice the difference if he wasnt there.

Fotheringham certainly has some ability. But he hasn''t had the same kind of impact on the first team as Lappin, who has looked right at home since day one. Currently Fotheringham looks no better than a useful squad player.As others have said, he hasn''t played a lot of competitive football so there may be a lot more to come. But so far he hasn''t done enough consistenly during games. As a sub he has been ok, providing cover and adding a different style to our play. But I don''t think he is worthy of a starting place if everyone''s fit. So if Grant can find better in the summer, I suggest he offer a contact to that someone else.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]Perhaps the arrival of Fozzy and the improvement in the form of others such as Etuhu are not mere coincidences????[/quote]

I think you are right.

Grant noted the squad was poor and he wanted competition early on, I think he''s got that now and its impacting on a few ''comfort zone'' players.

Its a shame that when worthington took over the first he did was destroy the Costa Del Colney and get players out of comfort zones. By the end of his time he''d gone full circle, and the new guy is having to do the exact same thing.

Can we agree what sort of midfielder he is? I''m certainly not sure. Is he a:Makalele - in front of the back four/defensive midfielder Etuhu/Francis - aggressive, presence type playerScholes - attacking midfielder behind the front twoCarrick - accurate passer out of midfield from defenceI''m thinking maybe he''s a Carrick, neat and tidy, doesn''t make mistakes, but doesn''t really get noticed either.

Fotheringham does little things well.He always seems to be in the right place to break something up and provide an outlet for an under pressure player, before passing it 10 yards. Its not rocket science, but you notice when it isn''t being done. He also will drop off into other peoples place if they go foward (E.G. drury)     

i like the player - he''s a type we haven''t seen since mullers went - reads the game well, and has vision to pass and put people in.  only concern about him is his physical energy - hasn''t played regulary enough to build his fitness levels up to champs standard that for sure - only the coaches know if he''s got the physique to improve.  hope he gets a chance to impress between now and the end of the season, and show us more convincingly what he can do for us next season.

when i first saw him i thought he was safri''s repalcement, i think he will be offered a contract, not inspiring, but the good thing is that with him not playing much other teams are not really watching him, offering us a better chance of signing him on a lower wage than we may have done otherwise. with safri so frequently out then the team can play the same type of system with a change of player, something we havent really been able to do before.

[quote user="a1canary"]Can we agree what sort of midfielder he is? I''m certainly not sure. Is he a:

Makalele - in front of the back four/defensive midfielder
Etuhu/Francis - aggressive, presence type player
Scholes - attacking midfielder behind the front two
Carrick - accurate passer out of midfield from defence

I''m thinking maybe he''s a Carrick, neat and tidy, doesn''t make mistakes, but doesn''t really get noticed either.

[/quote]

I think he is more of a Scott Parker, a bit of Carrick and Scholes thrown into one player although arguably not as good as either of them, though I am not entirely sure if I rate Carrick to be honest.

I think he was brought in as cover for Safri who is 30ish like Huckerby and seems a little injury prone. And you know for a month a season Safri has to fast - I don''t think this is a bad thing, and it reminds us that there are more important things to life than football, even if you are a footballer. Its refreshing that faith can be one of those things. I personaly think he can play more matches in that period but then its down to himself and the coaches to determin.

I think Grant has an idea of where he wants the squad to be in two years as well as where he wants it to be next season. He wants youngsters busting a gut to do well and some older players like Huckerby, Dion and Safri who can lead them and guide them and give advice and aid their progress.

Essentially I think we will build a team around some of these players like Huckerby, who the fans look up to and who the players in turn will want to be. Hux wears his heart on his sleave and I think thats how Grant wants other players to play - with obvious desire and passion.

Don''t think i''m suggesting he''s as good as players like Scholes and Makelele! I was just using them as good examples of their type.Scott Parker i a good call though, bit of everything - tackling, passing, breaking forward. If Foz can emulate him i''ll be happy!

see I still think its very hard to say what type of player he is, because we haven''t seen him play enough

bit silly me asking the question then I guess!?