Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Only TRUE supporters go to games!.

I think that this is exactly the case, Pete. It would probably make Fan A better informed (because he/she would be seeing the performances for themselves rather than second hand) but it certainly doesn''t make him/her a better supporter.  

Blimey- amazing how facile this has become.

Fan A does his thing for one season. Then he loses heart and does it a couple of times. then none at all as other things distract him.

Fan B couldn''t get to that game but buys casual tickets for 20 other matches, some away. He has been doing it for 10 years.

How about a couple of other scenarios:

Fan C owns shares, buys all the videos and replica shirts, gets the programmes sent to him and subscribes to the postal pink''un and  Canary World, listening to each match on the radio. He has Iwan Roberts'' book plus all the other Canary Citizen and handbook stuff that''s printed. Fan C lives in Stockholm. He wears his replica kit on the two days of summer when its warm.

Fan D works on saturdays now. He had a seaon ticket until it got too expensive and took that part time job which pays good rates for Saturday work. As a treat he can pick up a casual ticket for a Tuesday game, or when one is moved to a Sunday for live TV. He has supported the club for 40 years and recalls fondly the long away trips to new grounds with his mates when he was young. Now he is older and can''t physically do that anymore. He has an old programme signed on his birthday when he met Kevin Keelan which he keeps in his box of memorabilia in the loft.

Now who''s better?

And what''s more- who really gives a damn?

Strange, but I have found this thread to be interesting and quite revealing about some of the most critical Fans, and I am particularly pleased as I have a very different stance on two of the most criticised players - Doc and Hughes. Both make mistakes, but both are fully comitted, and I believe are genuinely proud to wear the Yellow and Green Shirts. Hughes, for example, comes on to the pitch at the last Home match, proceeded to play 3 or 4 of the best passes we saw all match without getting the praise he deserved, yet as soon as one pass goes astray, it gets the full treatment. At Palace Doc deservedly gets criticised for his error for the second goal, but other than that was solid at the back and IMHO is worth his place alongside Shack, who also was guilty of an error leading to the third goal, but doesn''t get the same level of abuse. Again Doc hit two fantastic long passes against QPR, which Ian Crook would have been proud of, and certainly does not deserve the Donkerty handle, which he gets given by Wiz. What I also admire about these two players is that they do not hide on the Pitch as some do, and take the easy options.  Its good to have opinions, but they are exactly that, and others will have different views, which is where Pete''s comment is perhaps pertinent.  Over the years I have joined in discussions about the abilities of this player and that player, and there have always been diverse views, and fans always have their own favourites as well as players that can only do wrong in their eyes. Thats what is great about supporting your local Team.

I attended my first match at the age of 3 in 1972 - I was a regular at home and away in the 80''s and considered myself a true fan - Since then I have raised a family with all the financial and time constraints that entails and as such my attendence has dwindled considerably to the point where I attend maybe 1 or 2 home games each season - however my son received for christmas , the NCFC strip and  annual in addition to the NCFC Advent calendar he had and the FITC courses he attends . So if anyone considers me as anything other than a true supporter I would argue my case strongly - I heard it said once that around 200,000 people consider themselves as fans of NCFC even if around 20,000 actually attend matches  

Top post Jack Flash!

Yes we lost at Palace and it was through mistakes all over the pitch and not just at the back. The Doc''s mistake was unforgivable but so was the goalkeepers for the first goal and Shackells for the third. So were so many missed chances. Posters on here criticise Doherty for giving away freekicks when the truth is Shackell gives away more. Shackell gets twice as many yellow cards as The Doc too but it''s not noticed on this board. I rate Shackell too but I''m just making these points top make a point. We should never have lost the game after dominating for such long periods. But reading this message board the next day and the rants that were going on about the team was unreal. There was a whole thread about Safri and Robinson, they both played and they both played well. Hughes had a good game doing what he does best and we looked a poorer side when he was replaced by Croft.

Would posters please note that these are opinions I made from watching the game and they don''t make me a better fan than anyone who didn''t go although they probably are a more accurate reflection of what happened.

A TRUE Norwich supporter ranges from the five year old kid who spends most of his/her life running around in his/her City replica kit .....to the old boy/girl now resident in a nursing home...having followed the club in whichever form since before the war.......

Reading all of this tripe about who is better than who makes me sick.....and shows just how many on here (and at large) are more concerned about their own personal status than that of the club itself. No wonder things have plummeted to the depths at CR these days.....and no wonder the ground is always so full despite the bilge on the pitch. As I''ve said before...it has become the trendy thing to do on a Saturday for some....and our "glorious" season ticket holders hail their superior status as a stick to beat others less fortunate. Pure ego.......

I suggest these people remove their pompous heads from their backsides....and accept that everybody who follows the City in whatever form is every bit as good as they are.....

Although touched upon already surely one sure fired litmus test is whether or not you bought shared in both of the clubs share issues?

If my memory serves me correctly the minimum amount was £100 which is achievable for most people?  Of course it wasn’t an investment in the normal sense; rather it was a handout to something we all love?

So even is you can’t go to every game and your dog has eaten your homework for the umpteenth time you were still able to hand the club a few quid in its hour need?

Surely share ownership could be considered as true test of love and loyalty to the club and as such allows you to adopt the moral high ground with your fellow supporter?

So many questions and I would hope a precursor for much wailing and gnashing to teeth!

[quote user="Dicky"]

So, all of the Man U "supporters" who live in Brighton, Yarmouth or Surrey (and don''t go to games more than once in a blue moon) are as much true supporters as the season ticket holders, are they?

Just wondered, that''s all....

[/quote]

what a joke your comment is Dicky.  For someone who watches so much football your judgement is ''questionable'' to put it politely. 

[quote user="BedsCanary"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

Here comes that old chestnut again.............

See, you are typical of 90% of the most bile-filled moaners on here - wheras those of us who actually attend games tend to be a bit more philosophical and certainly more realistic.
Enjoy your Saturday afternoon moaning in front of the telly with your pipe and slippers. Leave the support to the supporters eh?

The above quote was from a poster on here (you know who you are) and it raises that old I''m a better supporer than you'' arguement.

There are quite a few fans on here who, for one reason or not, can''t make the games, I myself, have tailed off a bit since my season ticket days, but I still go when possible. But the arguement is: If you don''t go, can you be a true fan.

My simple answer is Yes, of course you can.

If you''ve bought a programme or indeed any kind of memorbilia, you are a fan...... if you just like the look of Yellow and Green............yep you''ve got it.......................you''re a fan. If you been to FCR just once in your life to support City, again, you''re a fan.

In fact, were all City supporters here, don''t let anyone try to tell you different.

Agreed?

[/quote]

Funny how all the people in agreement that "you''re still a proper supporter even if you don''t go to games" are actually the people who don''t go.

It''s quite a simple really:

Fan A drives a 6-hour round trip for every home game. It costs him £40 in petrol & £20 for the ticket. He changes his working shifts to accomodate the football and puts out his wife and kids to make the game.

Fan B listens to the game on Radio Norfolk.

Fan A is a better supporter than Fan B.

[/quote]

Hey this is crazy, maybe fan B cant get to the majority of games because he cant change his shifts. Maybe fan B doesnt have transport. I go to about 50% of home games and i dont see how going can make you a better fan than listening on the radio.

Some people who go every week are terrible supporters.

There is no litmus test Bury.  If you claim allegiance, you are a fan, it''s personal to the individual.  Regarding the share issue, some people are in a position to contribute, others aren''t.  This might shock you, but some people struggle to find 100 pounds of disposable income.  They still like football, live in Norwich, and support Norwich City though.

Why do people want fans to justify how "true" a fan they are is a mystery to me.  I became a city fan when my dad took me to my first games back when you could take milk crates onto the terraces (to stand on of course) in the very early Eighties.  Replica kits became the main-stay of birthday & Xmas presents through my youth & i expanded my support to away games with collection of similar age mates.  Season ticket holding followed when i started to earn money & there was "kudos" amongst my pals to have one especially during our European foray, not so much during the lows of the relegation period & sustained Div 2 football. (Premiership/Championship?? Ha!)

I''m an exile now though, have been for 2.5 seasons, will be a while longer yet.  Does my supporting desire wane, does the flame that burns to know all about NCFC on & off the pitch have less ferocity now? WSell i still retained my season ticket in lower Barclay, i allow friends & family to use it for free while i''m here & if i''m lucky 4-5matches a season my average.  Do i care if some folks perception of me is that my true fan label fallen off now?, nope not really as i know who i have supported since day 1 & will die supporting

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

I like Fan E

p.s. sorry. i normally ignore Wiz''s posts but couldn''t resist...

[/quote]

Like it - took me a few seconds to get it, must be the Christmas hangover.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]There is no litmus test Bury.  If you claim allegiance, you are a fan, it''s personal to the individual.  Regarding the share issue, some people are in a position to contribute, others aren''t.  This might shock you, but some people struggle to find 100 pounds of disposable income.  They still like football, live in Norwich, and support Norwich City though.
[/quote]

But just not as much as the bloke (or woman) who dug deep to find £100 to give to the club they love and support in exchange for some shares and went without something else. Of course there may well be a few folk who don’t have £100 at their disposal as each and every pound they earn is accounted for and that of course is fair enough.

None the less I would also imagine that represents a fairly small percentage of the overall support base of the club and when the club passed round the begging bowl to my mind giving money was an alternative to a holiday, a suit, some new track day tyres for the motor or any number of other things we like to spend our disposable income on.

So perhaps you’d like to explain how spending the marginal quid in your pocket could be better spent than on our beloved club or perhaps you passed the chance by and went on your hols?

Oh I nearly forgot, RG Carter chipped in with share issue, how funny that they were awarded both contract on both the South Stand and the hotel after a “long and exhaustive tendering process” they must really love and support the club!

Ha! I wouldn''t have got it if you hadn''t drawn attention to it!!! Wonder how long before the Mods remove it!

[quote user="Dicky"][quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

I like Fan E

p.s. sorry. i normally ignore Wiz''s posts but couldn''t resist...

[/quote]

Like it - took me a few seconds to get it, must be the Christmas hangover.

[/quote]

[quote]So perhaps you’d like to explain how spending the

marginal quid in your pocket could be better spent than on our beloved

club or perhaps you passed the chance by and went on your hols?[/quote]I could name any number of good causes that would do a lot more good for the sum of humankind than bringing Darren Huckerby to NCFC.  You talk about the club passing around the begging bowl, but you could have cashed in your shares when we were promoted and made money.  You chose not to, nobody put a gun to your head.  If you''re not happy with the deal you made with the club, the investment you made in the club, maybe you should have read the small-print ?Giving to charity and buying shares are personal things to the individual, and I''m certainly not going to discuss my donations / investments, or even holidays with you.  I would never do anything as crass and downright ugly as wave my money in the faces of others less fortunate, while simulataneously claiming the moral high ground.  I find it disgusting that you do.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]So perhaps you’d like to explain how spending the marginal quid in your pocket could be better spent than on our beloved club or perhaps you passed the chance by and went on your hols?[/quote]

I could name any number of good causes that would do a lot more good for the sum of humankind than bringing Darren Huckerby to NCFC.  You talk about the club passing around the begging bowl, but you could have cashed in your shares when we were promoted and made money.  You chose not to, nobody put a gun to your head.  If you''re not happy with the deal you made with the club, the investment you made in the club, maybe you should have read the small-print ?

Giving to charity and buying shares are personal things to the individual, and I''m certainly not going to discuss my donations / investments, or even holidays with you.  I would never do anything as crass and downright ugly as wave my money in the faces of others less fortunate, while simulataneously claiming the moral high ground.  I find it disgusting that you do.
[/quote]

Once again your ability to hit the nail on the head is second to none, unfortunately for the umpteenth time you’ve hit the wrong nail.

You’re previous posting suggested some sort of bi-polar condition that you either support the club or you don’t, sorry but this simply does not stand any sort of quantitative scrutiny.

Fans come and go, some even change allegiance, some attend literally hundreds of games in succession, others do not, some spend thousand pursuing their clubs endeavours whilst others do not irrespective of their financial ability, ergo support any one of us offers the club is not some sort of binary condition it is a variable and in many cases a function of success.  If we are to believe your own view then  the better the club performs on the pitch will have absolutely no bearing on attendances? 

With sufficient will and impetuous it is I believe relatively simple to model this theory by use of calculus and integration, alas such mathematical musings would I fear render me nothing more than some heinous capitalist swine?

Moving on, how pray tell do you draw your conclusions that my decision to hand the club a few quid is some sort of investment?  That is entirely my point; I gave money that at any other time could have been used for something else into helping the clubs plight and expected nothing back for it,.  The love of the club is unrequited; love of the current incumbents is not.

So whether you gave £100 or £25k is frankly irrelevant, it is purely an indication of your willingness to support the one thing that brings us to this website at a time when they most needed it.  In the first instance it was to underpin the club after the collapse of the Digital TV deal and the second time to hopefully see us promoted, but to me it was most certainly not considered an investment.  Fortunately I know of much easier ways of turning a quid than letting Neil Doomcaster at my loot but what I do expect is an annual visit to the clubs AGM and that is it, not that hard to grasp?