Sign in to follow this  
CanaryNut

Dublin today/Andy Hughes/Manager post match comments

Two pretty average teams today and we scored from just about our only shot but............

Man Of The Match was fully deserved today for Dion Dublin.

Not only did he have an excellent game, the way he was marshalling the defence and intelligently using the ball when clearing from defence deserves mention. How many times have others just got rid only for the ball to come straight back again. Yes he is 37 years old but the football brain is very much there which is invaluable.

A special mention for Andy Hughes. I thought his brief display at right back to replace Colin was good, he seemed to fit in there well.

Grant''s post match comments were interesting and ones that I agreed with. Mention of high balls up to Earnie and giving the ball away by players who should know better in the first half. Lets hope he can put this right in the weeks/months to come by actions on the training pitch and/or activity in the loan/transfer market.  

I agree CN, it was a very obvious MoM choice, my 13yr old daughter said to me at half time that "Dion is the Man!"

Try as hard as I could I could only remember Earnie''s goal as the only shot/attempt on goal for us all afternoon, easy to overlook that in the euphoria of a win, but got me a little worried as I reflected upon the afternoon on my drive home.

Mcveigh, despite his fantastic move and pass to Eanie for the goal was quite ineffective wide on the right and could not win anything against the defender particularly the highballs from Gallacher. We could do with someone with a larger frame up front, if Dion is to settle in defence ...and Thorne is definitely not the solution.

Possession was good for the most part, let down too often by poor passes, or lack of concentration in the final quarter and I hope the team develops greater confidence to play the passing game that was much more in evidence today. Unless we have a big target man up front, the hoofs are so wasteful.

I haven''t heard what happened to Colin and if Hughes is likely to cover that defensive position for a while I would be quite happy with that. Colin was beginning to move better, he has shown he can move the ball at his feet down that right hand side and open up new channels but he just doesn''t do it enough.

Is it my imagination but it seems to me that Drury has an exclusive passing contract with Huckerby and seems to make him his target however blocked Hucks is, ...far too predictable.

What game were you watching. Hughes was a total liability, some absolute shambolic defending at times. As usual tried hard but that isn''t good enough. No way Hughes should be in the pecking order for right back. One peice of headless chicken defending almost gave Sunderland a point. Get rid please asap.

I have to agree, we were defending a corner if i remember correctly the

ball fell to etuhu in the corner of the 18 yard box he was facing away

from goal and had a clear run away from goal but hughes facing our goal

takes it off him and plays it back to drury who is closed down and

nearly gets caught in posesion .His intervention nearly let sunderland

in ,i just think he tries too  hard to impress  and ends up

looking what he is  a liability .OTBC

Seems to me that people will crticise andy Hoof no matter what...

liability as he is i will give him credit for an assured right back performance yetserday.

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Seems to me that people will crticise andy Hoof no matter what...

liability as he is i will give him credit for an assured right back performance yetserday.

jas :)

[/quote]

and so will I!!

Spot on Jas. He had one bad moment, but was assured with everything else he did. Some people are so blinkered with their preconceived ideas, they''ll moan come what may from Adny Hughes or Robinson for that matter.

What game were we watching? the same game you were you moron, but obviously you have chosen to reflect on the one negative aspect of Hughes involvement, that being the pass back to Drury to put him under pressure. How about the solid effort he put in at right back? he made about 3 or 4 tackles from what i remember and not one cross made it in from the left while he was at right back.

Dont get me wrong im no huge Hughes fan, he has had a couple of good games but on the whole has been poor, albeit playing out of position all the time, but give credit where credit is due, he came on and did a good job yesterday..In a nutshell Hughes is no passer, thats for sure, he''s certainly no winger, but the boy can tackle, and he''s probably the only player at the club who actually fights on the pitch and gives 110% for the team. I remember the days when we used to applaud players who werent that great but that it was obvious to see were giving there heart and soul for the team? ie Holt, Mackay, Leon.

So lets actually get behind the team and try encouaraging the players instead of constantly slating them. Do you actually think thats the way to get us top of the league? to criticise every time someone makes a mistake or has a bad game?

On The Ball City....whatever the weather....

A tired of all the moaning loyal season ticket holder..

i refer to my reply to the other moron on here, you too have chosen to reflect solely upon the one mistake, that in fact wasnt really a mistake, just an error in judgment, instead of the solid defending he put in at right back.

Why dont you and the other idiot try being positive and actually support the team and encourage the players for once?

Thank you, finally a postive objective opinion, if only we had more supporters like you and myself and less like the morons above who criticise no matter what, we''d be alrite....

Why are these people on here still knocking hughes there was nothing wrong with his out of position performance yesterdaythe lad did very well.The one performance which i felt was not up to standard was robinson he did tad all hughes should be playing in his position.

[quote user="LoyalCityFanWhoActuallySUPPORTSTheClub"]

Thank you, finally a postive objective opinion, if only we had more supporters like you and myself and less like the morons above who criticise no matter what, we''d be alrite....

[/quote]

Oh well......seems we''ve all got it wrong about Norwich then.......Everything is wonderful.....[<:o)]..[<:o)]..[<:o)]

Do you honestly think anybody except those who post on here actually read this stuff?  It''s a place to let off steam and express a personal view. It isn''t going to be relayed to the players or management.....so why the insults?

I guess I am a moron too in your book then LCFWASTC?..........so I will wear the badge with pride....until the great day comes when I too can be called a ''loyal fan who actually supports the club''......... After 40 + years I must be getting close by now.............

going back to the comments on dion iv gotta say i think people r gettin g carried away with his performance. ill be the first the applaud him on the way he played in the last 20, no doubt he won us the game there and won everything that came into the box but iv got to say he was poor in the first half. still looks too clumsy, was lucky not to concede a pen or two at the end of the game and a poor touch in the first half cud hav let one of the underland boys in if he hadnt slipped. i dnt think he should start but id definately rather see him coming on the last 10 instead of flem. after all the comments about his age its a tribute to the guy and his fitness that he came into his own rite at the end of the game, shows hes not too old.

other good performances from hughes and good to see mcveigh back. showed signs of wot he can do, not back to his best but giv him a run of games and he could vital to us. also glad to see eagle get on again. i saw him for the first time on tuesday against col u and was impressed. injected abit of energy into the team if lacking som composure - could b the next mcviegh own day tho.

[quote user="allways travelling"]Why are these people on here still knocking hughes there was nothing wrong with his out of position performance yesterdaythe lad did very well.The one performance which i felt was not up to standard was robinson he did tad all hughes should be playing in his position.[/quote]Excellent point, i thought i was the only one who would rather see Andy Hughes fighting in midfield, givin 110% and generally giving us some steel in midfield, than Robinson, who can only pass sideways 5 yards, doesnt work hard or go in hard, and pretty much gives you 1 good forward pass per game and for the whole is usually a passenger. With Hughes you know what your gonna get, your not gonna get defence splittin Ronaldinho passes, your not gonna get Etuhu thunderbolt shots, but what you will get is 110% passion, heart and commitment, fight, bite and a high nuisance factor, that will trouble the opposition midfied, something sadly lacking from yesterdays performance. Unless Etuhu has a blinder the midfield is weak. With Robinson what do you get? i still dont know what kind of midlfielder he''s supposed to be, attacking, defensive, playmaking? somebody please tell me.....Credit to him, he has pulled off a couple of quality passes and scored a cracker this season, but thats 3 plus points in 15 games.....The boy is consistent, ill give him that, but he''s consistently average, consistently non league average...Midfield  - Etuhu, Safri, Hughes.this would give Etuhu the licence to get in the box more and support Earnie, and Safri can play higher up the field dictating the attack, instead of givin the ball away in front or our back four all the time. Hughes will snuff out any attacking midfielders and lay it off to Safri for us to push on....thoughts anyone?

[quote user="cluckaduck"][quote user="LoyalCityFanWhoActuallySUPPORTSTheClub"]

[/quote]

Oh well......seems we''ve all got it wrong about Norwich then.......Everything is wonderful.....[<:o)]..[<:o)]..[<:o)]

Do you honestly think anybody except those who post on here actually read this stuff?  It''s a place to let off steam and express a personal view. It isn''t going to be relayed to the players or management.....so why the insults?

I guess I am a moron too in your book then LCFWASTC?..........so I will wear the badge with pride....until the great day comes when I too can be called a ''loyal fan who actually supports the club''......... After 40 + years I must be getting close by now.............

[/quote]CluckaduckI was referring to the morons that criticised Andy Hughes yesterday for one error in judgment, which incidentally just put Drury under a little bit of pressure as opposed to actually losing the game for us, rather than praise the 4 or 5 positive things he did at right back. Im sick and tired of hearing people criticise and moan about everything. Of course, this forum is for conversation and to let off steam, but all some people do is slag off the team and players, and its these same people/fans who do it at the game and dont get behind the team, and im sick of it.And no i dont expect these views to get to management, i too am just letting off steam, but i feel its an objective let off rather than just more pointless criticising of players and the team in general.For instance, have you read ''The Man''s latest article '''' It’s official - we are as bad as ever '''' ???more pessimism from a so called supporter that is the scourge of our great club....

For the short period ''Hoozy'' was on - I thought he played quite well. Dion was the rock........McVeigh, apart from one clinical pass, was absolute pants......I think he does honestly believe that he is the ''Messiah'' - but he isn''t.......He''s a very "Haughty" boy! ;~)

"and he''s got girl''s hair"......

[quote user="LoyalCityFanWhoActuallySUPPORTSTheClub"][quote user="cluckaduck"][quote user="LoyalCityFanWhoActuallySUPPORTSTheClub"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Cluckaduck

I was referring to the morons that criticised Andy Hughes yesterday for one error in judgment, which incidentally just put Drury under a little bit of pressure as opposed to actually losing the game for us, rather than praise the 4 or 5 positive things he did at right back. Im sick and tired of hearing people criticise and moan about everything.

Of course, this forum is for conversation and to let off steam, but all some people do is slag off the team and players, and its these same people/fans who do it at the game and dont get behind the team, and im sick of it.

And no i dont expect these views to get to management, i too am just letting off steam, but i feel its an objective let off rather than just more pointless criticising of players and the team in general.

For instance, have you read ''The Man''s latest article '''' It’s official - we are as bad as ever '''' ???

more pessimism from a so called supporter that is the scourge of our great club....
[/quote]

Fair enough LCFWASTC.......point taken and I apologise for getting my knickers in a twist. On here is one thing of course........but apart from on very rare ocassions I have never actually booed a Norwich City player on the pitch. It is counter productive as you say and having paid good money for him we should really try to get some value out of him.....but we are now in a position where getting out of this league will be very hard indeed and so we all seek someone to blame. For me it''s the Board......for others AH............although personally I''m sure my ex-mother-in-law has something to do with it too!...............[:)]

[quote user="LoyalCityFanWhoActuallySUPPORTSTheClub"][quote user="cluckaduck"][quote user="LoyalCityFanWhoActuallySUPPORTSTheClub"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Cluckaduck

I was referring to the morons that criticised Andy Hughes yesterday for one error in judgment, which incidentally just put Drury under a little bit of pressure as opposed to actually losing the game for us, rather than praise the 4 or 5 positive things he did at right back. Im sick and tired of hearing people criticise and moan about everything.

Of course, this forum is for conversation and to let off steam, but all some people do is slag off the team and players, and its these same people/fans who do it at the game and dont get behind the team, and im sick of it.

And no i dont expect these views to get to management, i too am just letting off steam, but i feel its an objective let off rather than just more pointless criticising of players and the team in general.

For instance, have you read ''The Man''s latest article '''' It’s official - we are as bad as ever '''' ???

more pessimism from a so called supporter that is the scourge of our great club....
[/quote]

Damn I''m getting a right dressing down but I feelto be called a moron is a little harsh. Its like catchphrase, I am only saying what I saw. You have your opinion and I mine. Can I also remind you that Hughes lost possession in his penalty area when overunning the ball, I feel that almost cost us three points as well. How many times do we see this constant poor play. Do u think Andy Hughes will get us promotion? Look at the hard facts. He leaves Reading and look what happened to them. I agree with the fact Robinson was also very poor yesterday and how he warrents a place in the side beggers belief.

I don''t slate the players off at games, and will never boo, but i do debate down the pub with other fans about the state of the club. Just thought I would add this, don''t want to start getting labelled as Mr Negative.

[/quote]

So its alright for you to slate Robinson. Dude your comments were a little on the harsh side. This is a forum after all. I like you are passionate and want promotion, but feel Grant has a massive job on his hands. I wont mention names but there is so many players who need to go, and that you can''t deny.

I must admit its somewhat refreshing for the managers post match comments to actually mirror what most fans saw at the game.

Grant is telling the fans, "yes we won, but I am well aware we have problems but I am trying to solve them."

i refer to my reply to the other moron on here, you too have chosen to reflect solely upon the one mistake, that in fact wasnt really a mistake, just an error in judgment, instead of the solid defending he put in at right back.

Why dont you and the other idiot try being positive and actually support the team and encourage the players for once?

[/quote]

the problem is that some people are waiting for players like Hughes to make mistakes, others makes mistakes but they conveniently forget those! it''s like they have to find someone to abuse. If Shakel makes a mistake at the back we forgive him, if hughes does he gets grief! give the guy a break, stop watching his every move.

For what it is worth I thought Hughes did OK at right back when he came on, the one incident being referred to was the fault of Etuhu not Hughes, he had time to get rid of the ball up field (the way he was facing) but chose instead to turn around and play the ball back, but when you lot are down on a bloke why let the truth get in the way of a good story. I am not a big fan of Hughes but I really do dislike this habit we have of criticising players for the sake of it.