Sign in to follow this  
Hartsons Gut

New Stadium?

I have to ask myself why allow a hotel do develop in the corner of carrow road?

It would of been great to of finally filled in the last corner and increase the capacity, but no for some unknown reason at hotel with 30 or 40 windows will be watching the home games instead of 1000-2000 more fans!!!!

With the capacity of our ground being only around 24,500 and with very little space to expand dont you think that a new stadium should be in the thoughts of the board???

Coventry, Leicester and Southampton have all recently had new grounds. We have been at Carrow Road a long time now and i feel that a new ground with the capacity of around 30,000 would be about right.

There would be no season ticket waiting list and would look even more attractive to player who may sign for us.

Can we build on top of the city stand????

The tight capacity and the fear it engenders is what fuels the season ticket feeding frenzy. If Norwich had a great deal more capacity then it might also have many more casual fans as getting to see a game wouldn''t be a problem.

It was this full house syndrome which bought Worthington more time as the Club had no reliance on casual fans or fans more able and willing to vote with their feet.

Personally, although the area around has become unrecognisabe frome a few years ago never mind 30, I love the fact the ground is a brisk 10 minute walk from the City Centre rather than a car ride so an additional 5k with a tier on the City Stand is the obvious option as it carefully grows the season ticket fan base, still keeps capacity pressure and grows the Club to a realistic level.

The club have planning permission rights to build another tier on the City  Stand.This would increase capacity by approx 5000.It involves building over the road behind the stand and the planning permission only lasts for approx 10 years.This 10 year period started at about the same time as we finished building the NewSouth Stand.

I can''t see us expanding the City Stand unless we get promoted to the Premiership.  The current improvements, and accrued interest on those improvements have helped to double the level of debt.  New money would have to come in from somewhere to finance building a new stand, and the work would have to be completed in the summer so as not to effect attendances.

Robert Chase was seriously concidering building a new stadium away from Carrow Road in the 1980''s. The only reason I believe this didn''t happen was the lack of an alternate site.

I must say I feel Carrow Road as it stands today must be one of the most overated stadiums in football. Sure it''s fine enough, but lags behind many many other grounds in the country. The City stand was unsatisfactory when it was built 20 odd years ago and now looks like a Subbuteo stand. Its redevelopment cannot come soon enough.

I cannot understand the clubs thinking in having the hotel where it is. Surely it would have been better to finish the corner off as and when funds became available to do so? The club have took the money and we are to be left with an ugly building in an unappropriate place.

I would not mind the club moving out of Carrow Road atall. I live close by, but it is a pain in the backside for many other fans. But the problem Robert Chase had 20 years ago is still there - Where would you build the new stadium?

Any gound redevelopment may well be a few years off. I think the present stadium is just about adequate for today''s needs, although we would clearly need at least another 5,000 seats if City somehow managed to return to the Premiership. The only match in this league where more seats would be useful is the annual showdown with the scum. I don''t think the club has had a total sell out so far this season.

No disrespect to women here.......but we all know how they like to pick the curtains before the roof is on.

I would not like to see Norwich move from Carrow Road as for me a club loses it soul when it is moved. It has happened to too many clubs already. I personally like tradition.......old school as that may seem.

I take the point about the season ticket scenario and how supporters are blackmailed into panic buying in order to secure a seat.........and this explains the high gates when the team isn''t performing. A number of years ago we would have been down to 14,000 by now...thus forcing the board to act. The board has created a very effective smokescreen.......as have other clubs.

I don''t like the current ''corporate obsession'' and I apologise for banging on about it.......Diners and business guests with no affection for the club should not take precedent above true fans. I know a number of these regular corporate guests.......and it is all about kudos for them. At least five of them are armchair Manchester United supporters........and that says it all to me.

Nothing to do with envy....as I could be there too....but I prefer the atmosphere of the crowd rather than the inane and untimely ''business speak'' and ridicule that goes on within the corporate bubble.

By all means develop the ground......but don''t forget the majority of us who help fill it. 

It would of been good to see the corner of the stadium completed.

However it is far more cost effective to build on top of the city in terms of cost per seat. The extra capacity created by building an infill would still leave the club needing more seats to meet demand so the best option was to take the money build on top of the city stand giving an approx 5000 extra seats.

Only problem is how do we pay for it!

As others have said, there is still plenty of scope to expand Carrow Rd if there is the demand and finances to match.I''d always assumed the hotel development was just a way to attract more conference business to Carrow Rd, and make more use of the catering facilities in the Barclay. I''m not altogether comfortable with any area facing the pitch to be anything other than a stand for supporters to be honest though. Maybe we can campaign to get a big screen put there to block it out?

Surely they will charge more for pitch-facing rooms on matchday? 

The main point is that the hotel is in essence a ''freebie'' from which the club will get a revenue cut.  I believe both single tier stands have the footings to add another tier anyway if needed?

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]As others have said, there is still plenty of scope to expand Carrow Rd if there is the demand and finances to match.

I''d always assumed the hotel development was just a way to attract more conference business to Carrow Rd, and make more use of the catering facilities in the Barclay. I''m not altogether comfortable with any area facing the pitch to be anything other than a stand for supporters to be honest though. Maybe we can campaign to get a big screen put there to block it out?[/quote]

I believe we took the 8,000 seat option on the Jarrold Stand because it became apparent that the ground beneath was not suitable to build foundations of necessary strength to accomodate a second tier on top.

Not sure if this has ever been confirmed, but I''m fairly certain that this is the case.

I have spoke to Joe Ferrari, and he says to finance a new tier on the City stand we''d need to spend around 5 years in the prem. So it''s not happening any time soon...

[quote user="mighty yellow"]I have spoke to Joe Ferrari, and he says to finance a new tier on the City stand we''d need to spend around 5 years in the prem. So it''s not happening any time soon...[/quote]

more rubbish - prem worth 20 to 30 mill - 100 to 150 mill buy old trafford

[quote user="komakino"]Robert Chase was seriously concidering building a new stadium away from Carrow Road in the 1980''s. The only reason I believe this didn''t happen was the lack of an alternate site. I must say I feel Carrow Road as it stands today must be one of the most overated stadiums in football. Sure it''s fine enough, but lags behind many many other grounds in the country. The City stand was unsatisfactory when it was built 20 odd years ago and now looks like a Subbuteo stand. Its redevelopment cannot come soon enough. I cannot understand the clubs thinking in having the hotel where it is. Surely it would have been better to finish the corner off as and when funds became available to do so? The club have took the money and we are to be left with an ugly building in an unappropriate place. I would not mind the club moving out of Carrow Road atall. I live close by, but it is a pain in the backside for many other fans. But the problem Robert Chase had 20 years ago is still there - Where would you build the new stadium?[/quote]

Yes, indeed, R Chase wanted to build a new stadium on the Royal Norfolk Showground site. 

As regards the point made by Mr Ferrari about needing to have spent about 5 years in the Premiership before considering adding a tier to the City Stand, we seem to have one of the least ambitious boards in the known universe. Mk Dons will soon have a magnificent new 32,000 seater stadium - so why can''t we afford to bring Carrow Road up to a decent capacity?

[quote user="Yellow fever"]

[quote user="mighty yellow"]I have spoke to Joe Ferrari, and he says to finance a new tier on the City stand we''d need to spend around 5 years in the prem. So it''s not happening any time soon...[/quote]

more rubbish - prem worth 20 to 30 mill - 100 to 150 mill buy old trafford

[/quote]

You honestly think that going upto the Prem for one season instantly equals "20 to 30 mill" in your pocket to spend? Christ.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]You honestly think that going upto the Prem for one season instantly equals "20 to 30 mill" in your pocket to spend? Christ.[/quote]

yes - everybody know - accept you it seems!

Are you really that naive to think that going up means 20-30 million to spend, take the blinkers and listen to people like Neil Doncaster when they tell you the score.  Did you not read the report in the EEN about where the money has gone.

And finally, I doubt seriously that old trafford cost 100-150 million to build.  Try trebling that figure and you would have a far more realistic figure.

Yellow Fever, I suggest that you take the blinkers and come and join everyone else in the real world.

[quote user="jimmy500"]

Did you not read the report in the EEN about where the money has gone.

Yellow Fever, I suggest that you take the blinkers and come and join everyone else in the real world.

[/quote]

i read the report but is it I that wears the blinkers?