Sign in to follow this  
View From The Moon

McSheffrey to Birmingham

Just seen this go out on a website £4m apparently, I don''t know if anyone else has seen him play but when we were linked/perhaps made a bid for him when Ashton left no way did I think he was worth the money we were willing to pay (£2m, I believe).

I''ll take Earnie, a proven scorer at this level any day for the price we paid.

that is alot of money. but so is £5.5m for what they got for heskey after scoring 3 goals last season, there or there abouts. still a £1.5m profit! but yeh, too much money, and is only been paid because birmingham are desperate to get out of this division at the first time of asking.

He''s a really good player but that''s more money than we can afford.  I''m taking a real dislike to Birmingham and hope their policy of "if it moves, buy it" seriously backfires.

One of the reasons I wouldn''t ever want Brucie here as Manager although he was a great player for us. Some of the transfer dealings in his managerial career have been questionnable to say the least.

I posted earlier today re: Green fee, saying that it was too little.

This deal is a perfect example of a club selling their best player, and getting MAXIMUM value from this. I made an analogy about the Cole deal, but as that is a Premier League reference, so it went over many peoples heads.

McSheffrey is a good player, but never worth £4m - completely unproven, and had 2 good seasons. Coventry obviously didnt want to sell, and held out for a fee that was worth way above what people ask. I cant really remember a time when we did this - maybe the Sutton deal to Blackburn? 

I think Brum should be topping the table come May; just hope they stay down, and have to sell their players......

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]And he''s a legend for me on FM 2006 [8-)][/quote]

sure is, hes part of my coventry side in the uefa cup and also an england regular

£4m for McSheffrey is a joke and just shows the market we''re trying to operate in for midfielders and strikers. The news reports don''t say how long McSheffrey had to go on his current contract but I expect it was more than a season.

I don''t think we could have expected any more than £2m for Green when he could have gone for nothing at the end of the season. And unless the can convince Leon to stay, I can''t imagine that he''ll go for any more and probably less if he''s sold during the season.

It''s all about timing. Birmingham had money and wanted to buy. Fortunately they''ve paid over the odds and my bet is that this will backfire on them. I don''t think they will go up automatically. Give me Croft for £1m and Earnie for £3m anytime.

I have a bet with a work mate that Brum will not get automatic promotion and I think this signing will disrupt them as much as add to their squad.  McSheffrey can play midfield but I believe he mostly played up front for Coventry last year.  This means Brum have spent £7m on two Championship strikers.  One with two good seasons behind him and the other with just one.  This could end up being great for the future or a massive mistake.  They already have Forsell, Bendtner and Campbell and I think it going to be hard to play them all!

I don''t think with Green we could have got more money.  That''s not defeatist - that''s realism.  For someone in the last year of their contract, still injured, having played an average season in the championship, that''s a good deal in my book.

Birmingham will be up there and have a great chance but they will be in a hell of a lot of bother financially if they don''t make it (and if people think Norwich fans are fickle, wait till the Brum fans get impatient).

4 Million for Mcsheffery. Dont get me wrong he''s a good player but this is laughable. I know the price is raised  because coventry didnt want to sell, but 3 years ago we brought a 27 year old Darren Huckerby for a million pounds. Huckerby was then and is a still i believe a better player than mcsheffery, its ridiculous. We payed less (up to 3 miillion) for a proven premiership striker in Earnshaw). Mcsheffery isnt proven, although he is only 23 is he really that good? I dont think so. Green has just left us for no more than 2 million. That is an england squad keeper, for half the price of a decent championship player, i would love us to have mcsheffery but not for anywhere near theat price. Birm,ingham are the Chelsea of the championship this summer, but if they dont go up they may suffer the consequences, whereas chelsea  have endless millions.

I hope Birmingham stay down - I can''t stand Steve Bruce (coincidently ever since we lost to Brum on penalties in the playoffs)He brought in a load of random new players last season and look where that got them. I''m sure that the disruption was partly to blame. Well he''s gone and done it again and I hope it backfires on them especially as he stole away the 3 Arsenal youngsters on loan that Worthy was sniffing around for. (Bendtner is class) At least Worthy''s over cautiouness in the transfer market and failiure to sign people does seem to have given our squad some kind of stability and cohesion. I was so chuffed when we signed Croft - attacking play down both flanks is just what we needed and with the central midfield looking strong we have real potential. Tho I think we should go in for Owen Hargreaves and get him in as replacement for Robinson just to sow the midfield right up.  (if only) ;-)

Come on City!